http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 11:42:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 10 RPG Commandments  (Read 1138 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2009, 02:19:01 PM »

Got thinking about this more after I made this post yesterday, and came up with my 10 Commandments of RPG's.

The 10 RPG Commandments

1.   Thou shalt have pauseable AND skippable cutscenes
2.   If thou dost not provide the ability to save anywhere, thou shalt put thine save points no more than 30 minutes apart.
3.   Thou shalt provide maps of thine areas.
4.   Thou shalt provide a clear explanation to players of where they are to go next, preferably in some sort of in-game journal or quest tracker.
5.   Thou shalt always provide save points before and after difficult boss battles.
6.   If thou hast shitty voice acting, thou shalt provide an option to turn it off.  Also, thou shalt not overuse "...", lest thee be smited by the RPG Gods.  (::Star Ocean 2 Second Evolution goes up in a puff of smoke:: )
7.   Thou shalt have a reasonable enemy encounter rate.  (::SMT: Digital Devil Saga goes up in a puff of smoke:: )
8.   Thou shalt not expect players to hold onto useless items for 40 hours, then require said useless item to create uber-weapons/armor/skills.  Especially when thou hast limited inventory slots.
9.   Thou shalt provide an adequate explanation or tutorial on thine skill, ability, crafting, or magic system either in-game or in thine manual.
10.   Thou shalt not require players to constantly backtrack through previously cleared areas solely in an effort to lengthen the playtime of thine game.

There must be more...which ones am I missing?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 02:46:27 PM »

Elevator rides should take no more than 2 or 3 seconds.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 03:08:07 PM »

Those are great Gratch.  In fact for #6 I'd give them 1 or 2 "..."'s and that's it.  Any more and I lose interest quickly.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 03:17:55 PM »

Quote from: warning on October 26, 2009, 03:08:07 PM

Those are great Gratch.  In fact for #6 I'd give them 1 or 2 "..."'s and that's it.  Any more and I lose interest quickly.

yeah, not sure what i could add to that list... iow:

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 03:23:03 PM »

All I can think of is:

"All thine base are belong to us" ...

Ruining language with my terrible words.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 04:16:51 PM »

I don't know if this one is widespread enough any more to warrant inclusion, but here goes:

"Thine final boss shall be a worthy foe, but not require the player to grind in order to vanquish him."

I can remember a couple of RPGs where I had to go back and grind XP for several hours at the end of the game just so I take out the disproportionately tough final baddie.   

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 04:17:42 PM »

Funny thing is, Star Ocean:  TLH breaks at least 6 of those, and I'm still liking it so far.  I'll have to see how that holds up after 12 hours instead of 6 though.

KC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 04:38:58 PM »

You forgot to add optional subtitles for cut scenes and in game.  If the voice acting is really bad, it is hard to understand what they are saying.

The 30 minutes between save points rule is too long.  I propose 15 minutes.  If you don't understand why, try gaming with young kids in the house.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 04:42:01 PM »

Thou shall not be able to win 75% of the battles by just pressing X over and over.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 04:58:36 PM »

Quote from: KC on October 26, 2009, 04:38:58 PM

You forgot to add optional subtitles for cut scenes and in game.  If the voice acting is really bad, it is hard to understand what they are saying.

The 30 minutes between save points rule is too long.  I propose 15 minutes.  If you don't understand why, try gaming with young kids in the house.

LOL.  I've got a youngun, so I originally had 15 minutes but thought that might be too unreasonable.  Glad I'm not the only one to think that way.  smile

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 09:03:43 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on October 26, 2009, 04:42:01 PM

Thou shall not be able to win 75% of the battles by just pressing X over and over.

That should be #1. Really easy RPGs suck. In Suikoden I would automate 90% of the battles. What is the point of even having battles like that?

Also, "..." and  "!" should should be stricken from RPG vocabualry.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 09:09:51 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 09:09:20 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on October 26, 2009, 09:03:43 PM

Thank the Japanese.

Now that I think about it, the Japanese should be stricken from the list of countries who are allowed to make RPGs. The only ones they've made that have managed to catch my interest are the Mario ones, and I could live without those.

icon_razz
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 09:10:07 PM »

Vash the Heroic Emo Protagonist: "Daisy, I've traveled across an ocean and overthrown the enemy overlord so that we may be together forever!"

Daisy the Dainty: "..."

Vash the Heroic Emo Protagonist: "I see....well, at least give me a taste of that fine elven ass for an evening..."

Daisy the Dainty: "!"
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 02:22:57 AM »

Nice post. Your list comprises what I mostly complain about.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 12:51:19 PM »

Thou shalt either have real voice over to match the text on screen or no voice-like noises at all.

I'm thinking of Okami, where I couldn't stand to play the game only because of the horrid noises that were supposed to be voices.

xbox live: nude rick james
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 02:55:21 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 26, 2009, 02:19:01 PM

4.   Thou shalt provide a clear explanation to players of where they are to go next, preferably in some sort of in-game journal or quest tracker.

I don't necessarily agree with this one as to me it equates to too much hand-holding and cuts out on some of the fun of exploration. I do agree that there needs to be some type of quest tracker if there are a multitude of quests you might have at once.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 03:27:25 PM »

Quote from: Toe on October 27, 2009, 02:55:21 PM

I don't necessarily agree with this one as to me it equates to too much hand-holding and cuts out on some of the fun of exploration. I do agree that there needs to be some type of quest tracker if there are a multitude of quests you might have at once.

Yeah. there's definitely a fine line to walk there, and it's also very dependent on the game.  In some of the more "open-world" RPG's, that sort of exploration can be fun. However, when I'm stuck wandering around for hours without having a clue how to advance the story or get to the next area, it frustrates the hell out of me.  I see this problem come up a lot more in JRPGs than Western RPGs.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 03:33:07 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 27, 2009, 03:27:25 PM

Yeah. there's definitely a fine line to walk there, and it's also very dependent on the game.  In some of the more "open-world" RPG's, that sort of exploration can be fun. However, when I'm stuck wandering around for hours without having a clue how to advance the story or get to the next area, it frustrates the hell out of me.  I see this problem come up a lot more in JRPGs than Western RPGs.

Yes!  Like, "You didn't talk to the random NPC in town that you already talked to, so you can't progress."  That's a frustrating one.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 03:34:08 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 27, 2009, 03:27:25 PM

This is problem for those of us who jump from game to game, especially with DS games that I only play once in a while. I think it was DQIV that I just gave up on because after a week or two I came back to the game and had no idea what I was supposed to do and could find no hint in the game of what my next goal was, never mind where to go.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 03:37:56 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 26, 2009, 09:09:20 PM

Thank the Japanese.

Now that I think about it, the Japanese should be stricken from the list of countries who are allowed to make RPGs. The only ones they've made that have managed to catch my interest are the Mario ones, and I could live without those.

icon_razz
You know, if I never had to deal with another japanese RPG story, I could die unfrustrated.  Please, just give us those incredible game systems -- no characters, no dialogue, no story, no backstory, to wit:

Thy story, backstory, characterizations and dialogue shall be comprehensible and uncringeworthy while appealing to an "international" audience.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 03:56:27 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on October 27, 2009, 03:37:56 PM

Thank the Japanese.

icon_razz
You know, if I never had to deal with another japanese RPG story, I could die unfrustrated.  Please, just give us those incredible game systems -- no characters, no dialogue, no story, no backstory, to wit:

Thy story, backstory, characterizations and dialogue shall be comprehensible and uncringeworthy while appealing to an "international" audience.

Go play Final Fantasy Tactics:  War of the Lions and get back to me on that.  smile

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 04:09:15 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 27, 2009, 03:56:27 PM

Thank the Japanese.

icon_razz

Go play Final Fantasy Tactics:  War of the Lions and get back to me on that.  smile

Actually I have played that one.  And I have no idea what was going on for most of it.  The gameplay kept me playing, certainly not the story.

**Edit.  I played the PS1 version.  If the PSP version improved the story and made it comprehensible then I apologize.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2009, 04:12:31 PM »

That should be #1. Really easy RPGs suck. In Suikoden I would automate 90% of the battles. What is the point of even having battles like that?

but don't you use only one button when fighting in a Final Fantasy game?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2009, 04:14:55 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on October 27, 2009, 04:09:15 PM

Quote from: Gratch on October 27, 2009, 03:56:27 PM

Thank the Japanese.

icon_razz

Go play Final Fantasy Tactics:  War of the Lions and get back to me on that.  smile

Actually I have played that one.  And I have no idea what was going on for most of it.  The gameplay kept me playing, certainly not the story.

**Edit.  I played the PS1 version.  If the PSP version improved the story and made it comprehensible then I apologize.

Yeah. the translation for the original FF Tactics on PS1 was a complete mess.  However, they completely overhauled it for the PSP version, and made it the best story I've ever seen in a game this side of Planscape: Torment.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2009, 06:18:06 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 27, 2009, 04:12:31 PM

but don't you use only one button when fighting in a Final Fantasy game?

I think he means pushing Fight (or whatever the default method of attack is) over and over instead of trying to be more tactical.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: