http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 03:04:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 'I Got A PS3!' Thread  (Read 8368 times)
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2006, 10:18:37 PM »

Quote from: gellar on November 17, 2006, 10:06:42 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on November 17, 2006, 10:05:24 PM

Trust me, I can appreciate your home theater mecca.  However, if my setup is considered excessive, then I'm speechless when viewing photos of yours.  I guess I'm not helping at all.     

Alright... we really do need to start that HT thread.  I will take pics when I get home and start it up if no one else has.

gellar

I'm game for that, lets do it.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2006, 10:32:47 PM »

frown  I missed the photos....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2006, 10:34:55 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 17, 2006, 10:32:47 PM

Let me recap:

Cool stuff
on top of
Cool stuff
on top of
Awesome Stuff
Then a ton of Blu-Ray movies
Then a ton of HD-DVD movies

Tongue I got so excited seeing all that I almost got erect.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2006, 10:44:28 PM »

Quote from: jblank on November 17, 2006, 10:34:55 PM

Let me recap:

Cool stuff
on top of
Cool stuff
on top of
Awesome Stuff
Then a ton of Blu-Ray movies
Then a ton of HD-DVD movies

Don't forget the 1 PS3 picture.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2006, 10:55:29 PM »

EEK! How could I have forgotten that?

Clay

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2006, 11:11:52 PM »

This guy gets a PS3 and then smashes it with a sledge hammer in front of people waiting in line to buy one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CTy7Nx0oPI&eurl=

xbox live: nude rick james
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2006, 11:56:12 PM »

Quote from: Clay on November 17, 2006, 11:11:52 PM

This guy gets a PS3 and then smashes it with a sledge hammer in front of people waiting in line to buy one...
Wow, that PS3 is surprisingly sturdy after getting hammered like that.  thumbsup

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2006, 12:09:18 AM »

Quote from: Clay on November 17, 2006, 11:11:52 PM

What a tool.  Seriously...everyone knows you cannot wear a hat and cloak like that without a cane. 

YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2006, 12:12:31 AM »

Pointing out the obvious here, but Hetz lives in an apartment, if he had less games, I am sure he'd have the cash for a house. Its all about priorities, far be it in me to lecture Hetz, its his life and money, more power to him if thats what he wants!   thumbsup

Speaking for myself, and why I am a penny pinching miser cheap fuck, but there are reasons for this... I have 2 homes to take care of (one rental), 3 college funds to build up for the kids, and a retirement for the wife and myself that we are building on.  I drew the line years and years ago on excessive and harmful spending because it is impossible to build a big net worth by buying a lot of useless things.  Not to mention when my dad died - he was a big spender - and his vast quantities of "Toys" weren't worth jack shit when I went to sell them.  That nice 100K clothing collection ended up being donated to the Salvation Army.. Fuck that!

I don't really have anything wasteful or excessive around here, but even if I did, I would be ashamed to post it and admit I bought it.  Seriously, the very MINUTE we get bored of a game, or I feel it isn't going to see playtime, I sell it and turn it into cold hard cash.  So my screenshots would be of a pretty empty gaming shelf..  icon_lol  Well, there is one thing I bought that some people might consider excessive, but it gets used *EVERY* day, and is about the best piece of machinery I have ever purchased.

Witness, the $469.00 Vacumn.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 12:19:21 AM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2006, 12:18:28 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 17, 2006, 10:32:47 PM

Me too! I wanted so see them, especially since it seemed to awe everyone who did see them!

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2006, 12:27:10 AM »

Didn't really awe me.........

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2006, 12:43:48 AM »

Let me sum up Kobra's post.

I'm cheap.  I don't spend money on 'useless stuff' so I can have more net worth

Let me counter it with my quote.

What is the point of living if you can't enjoy it?

*shrug*  You decide which mantra you'd like to follow.

For the record, I own the Dyson Animal vacuum.  Sweet piece of hardware, that. smile
(and every toy I've ever purchased has left the box and been played with.)

Edit:  This was my 9000th post!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2006, 01:08:42 AM »

I would post pics of my DVD collection but all 5 of them are in a box somewhere. 

The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2006, 01:09:40 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 17, 2006, 09:12:16 PM

Quote from: The Grue on November 17, 2006, 09:03:56 PM

Wow, Hetz.  You bought some truly crappy games for your PS3.  And now we have the proof.

Says you!

All of them should be great, except Gundum, which I haven't opened yet.  icon_biggrin

LOL!  Gundam got a horrible review, if I remember correctly.  Frame rate issues and all kinds of other stuff, too.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2006, 01:10:05 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 18, 2006, 12:12:31 AM

Pointing out the obvious here, but Hetz lives in an apartment, if he had less games, I am sure he'd have the cash for a house.

retard

Pointing out that you are once again completely wrong, I live in a house and have a mortgage. You never cease to amaze me, Kobra.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2006, 01:10:38 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 18, 2006, 12:43:48 AM

For the record, I own the Dyson Animal vacuum.  Sweet piece of hardware, that. smile

It depends, do you want to be working at McDonalds at 65 or not?  Do you have kids and want them to have college paid for without going into loan debt?  How about enough $$ to give them a nice start when they get married?  How about a nice nest egg for them when you die? Really, I think it boils down to short term enjoyment, or long term satisfaction.

Alas, yes, the Dyson is one fine peice of hardware, this we agree on.   thumbsup

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2006, 01:13:05 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 18, 2006, 01:10:05 AM

Pointing out the obvious here, but Hetz lives in an apartment, if he had less games, I am sure he'd have the cash for a house.

retard

Pointing out that you are once again completely wrong, I live in a house and have a mortgage. You never cease to amaze me, Kobra.

Ahh, my mistake, I remember you saying on OO once you lived in an apartment.  At any rate, I think you've stroked your e-peen plenty enough on this thread, far be it for me to step in the way that swinging mass of electronic manhood, I'm getting the hell out of the way of that thing!   :slywink:

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2006, 01:14:25 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 18, 2006, 01:13:05 AM

Quote from: Hetz on November 18, 2006, 01:10:05 AM

retard

Ahh, my mistake, I remember you saying on OO once you lived in an apartment.  At any rate, I think you've stroked your e-peen plenty enough on this thread, far be it for me to step in the way that swinging mass of electronic manhood, I'm getting the hell out of the way of that thing!   :slywink:

icon_lol

You have the wrong guy. I haven't lived in an apartment for about 9 years now.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2006, 01:30:34 AM »

how i envision hetz at this very moment...

(just teasin' ya, hetz.  you know we love ya!)

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2006, 01:40:07 AM »

I picked up my PS3 a little over 4 hours ago and I still haven't opened it.   eek

I keep looking at the box and thinking "do I open it or ebay it?"   paranoid

It's the first console I've ever bought that I didn't buy a game for it.  If I keep it, I will probably go back and pick up Resisitance and Untold Legends.  But I am really struggling with what to do with it.  My family wants me to keep it, even though there are no games that any of them would play.  I think if Motorstorm was out now, I'd probably break down and open it.

Here's why I'm a little afraid to sell it.  There are about 4-6 games coming out in Feb-March that I really want.  Eye of Judgement and MLB The Show 07, to name a few.  On one hand I could sell mine for $2000+ and put a nice chunk down towards our next Disney trip and pick another one up in January or February just in time to play the games I want.  On the other hand, I could sell it and not see another one until April or May, which could realistically happen and that would drive me crazy. 

When I reserved mine, I knew they would probably be $1000 item on Ebay, which really didn't interest me that much.  But now that we know just how bad it is, $3000 by mid December is a strong possibility.  I have a 360 and all the new titles for it....WWE Smackdown, Viva Pinata, Gears of War, Call of Duty 3, Splinter Cell and Need For Speed Carbon.  I have enough to play right there, not to mention that I paid off my Wii and picked up 5 games for it today.  Come Sunday, the PS3 will surely be lost in the shuffle.  I know it's going to be a great system, but right now it doesn't come close to offering the quality titles or the online play of the 360.

The part of me with a brain is telling me to sell it.   nod

Then, the game/tech geek in me is telling me to keep it and embrace the technology.   nod

I'm really torn at this point and if I make it to Sunday without opening it, I'll probably have it on Ebay by Sunday night.   :biggrin:

Hetz is making it sound so cool and has had me really thinking about cracking it open.  There seems to be a lot of cool stuff on their marketplace which would give me something to play until something decent comes out for it.

Hetz, please help me out here, bro.  Does every game have multiplayer?  I heard some of them didn't so I am still a little confused about how their online model works.  I know it doesn't hold a candle to Xbox Live, but what do you think?
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2006, 01:48:48 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 18, 2006, 01:10:38 AM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 18, 2006, 12:43:48 AM

It depends, do you want to be working at McDonalds at 65 or not?  Do you have kids and want them to have college paid for without going into loan debt?  How about enough $$ to give them a nice start when they get married?  How about a nice nest egg for them when you die? Really, I think it boils down to short term enjoyment, or long term satisfaction.

Alas, yes, the Dyson is one fine peice of hardware, this we agree on.   thumbsup

So now raising our kids isn't enough?  Now we've got to constantly be giving something to them until we die?  Sorry, I'm with Hetz here...why have it if you can't spend it?  My parents raised me and even let me move in and out several times until I got married.  My dad signed a couple of bank notes for me and got me on my way, but I haven't taken a dime from him in 19 years.  It's called growing a pair and becoming an adult.  I wouldn't dream of allowing my dad to penny pinch so I could get a nice check when he dies. 
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2006, 01:51:42 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 17, 2006, 09:12:16 PM

Says you!
All of them should be great, except Gundum, which I haven't opened yet.  icon_biggrin

Don't open it, Hetz. I just saw the X-Play review on G4. It looked terrible. The graphics were on par with some PS1 games and there were still horrible frame rate problems. Talk about a game that shouldn't have been made, let alone placed as a launch title. What happened to the 2005 E3 clips of the game. You mean those weren't real gameplay?  icon_wink

On the other hand, Resistance looked awesome and I'm not even much of a FPS fan.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2006, 01:58:57 AM »

Hetz, please help me out here, bro.  Does every game have multiplayer?  I heard some of them didn't so I am still a little confused about how their online model works.  I know it doesn't hold a candle to Xbox Live, but what do you think?

Not every game has multiplayer, but neither does every Xbox game. Resistance has 40 person mulitplayer (which is FUN FUN FUN!!!), Untold Legends has co-op multiplayer over the internet, Ridge Racer has multiplayer, Madden/NBA 2k7/NHL 2k7 all have multiplayer...and it's just like the Xbox Live version.

The 'Playstation Network' is very similar to Xbox Live. You have friends lists, online store and multiplayer support. They also provide a free web browser which is pretty nice. As a complete package in some ways it falls short compared to Xbox Live (the friends list needs to be worked on more), but the online multiplayer experience has been great. I also like the Playstation store better than the Live Marketplace. It's setup better and it's easy to see the top 10 newest files for download. They also have a top 10 most popular downloads list (Motorstorm Demo is #1!).

All and all, I'm pretty impressed...and it's all free!

The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2006, 02:11:14 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 18, 2006, 01:58:57 AM

Hetz, please help me out here, bro.  Does every game have multiplayer?  I heard some of them didn't so I am still a little confused about how their online model works.  I know it doesn't hold a candle to Xbox Live, but what do you think?

Not every game has multiplayer, but neither does every Xbox game. Resistance has 40 person mulitplayer (which is FUN FUN FUN!!!), Untold Legends has co-op multiplayer over the internet, Ridge Racer has multiplayer, Madden/NBA 2k7/NHL 2k7 all have multiplayer...and it's just like the Xbox Live version.

The 'Playstation Network' is very similar to Xbox Live. You have friends lists, online store and multiplayer support. They also provide a free web browser which is pretty nice. As a complete package in some ways it falls short compared to Xbox Live (the friends list needs to be worked on more), but the online multiplayer experience has been great. I also like the Playstation store better than the Live Marketplace. It's setup better and it's easy to see the top 10 newest files for download. They also have a top 10 most popular downloads list (Motorstorm Demo is #1!).

Thanks Hetz...How was the setup out of the box?  I hear you have to hook up composite cables first and then switch over to HDMI.  Is that true.  Also, are the PS3 downloads faster than the Live downloads?  I sure hope so.  Is there any connectivity between the PSP and PS3 yet?  I know there is supposed to be, but is it live yet?

Finally, does the controller feel cheap like everyone says?  A lot people say it feels much lighter than the dual shock and not as sturdy either...what's your opinion?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2006, 02:33:41 AM »

Quote from: The_Man on November 18, 2006, 02:11:14 AM

Quote from: Hetz on November 18, 2006, 01:58:57 AM

Thanks Hetz...How was the setup out of the box?  I hear you have to hook up composite cables first and then switch over to HDMI.  Is that true.  Also, are the PS3 downloads faster than the Live downloads?  I sure hope so.  Is there any connectivity between the PSP and PS3 yet?  I know there is supposed to be, but is it live yet?

Finally, does the controller feel cheap like everyone says?  A lot people say it feels much lighter than the dual shock and not as sturdy either...what's your opinion?

You don't have to hook the composite cables up at all. I didn't. I plugged in the HDMI cable and digital audio cable. I then turned on the unit and there were no problems. It auto-detected the resolution that was optimal (1080p, you can change it if you like) and it was all good to go. There is connectivity between the PSP and the PS3 (or at least there will be once the new firmware is out for the PSP). It might work now, but I haven't tried it yet.

As for the controller, it is lighter...but it feels perfectly fine to me. It's just missing the rumble. I also really like the tilt controls and the new R2/L2 buttons. It's pretty cool. All in all, if you like the dual shock, you will like this controller. I actually like it a little lighter.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2006, 02:39:38 AM »

Oh and also, no problems with backwords compatibility so far!

Here is a nice search tool to see if any games you own have issues:

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

Example - Okami

Description: The following conditions have been confirmed on PS3 System Software Version 1.00.: At random points throughout the title, when an FMA plays, the audio stutters at a random point during playback, and continues to stutter throughout the duration of the FMA. All conditions have been resolved on PS3 System Software Version 1.10.

So, they are already fixing things!  thumbsup

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2006, 02:49:49 AM »

Witness, the $469.00 Vacumn.

I have that vacuum!  It rules all.  My maid enjoys using it.

gellar
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2006, 02:50:53 AM »

I'm ranked #802 in the world right now in Blast Factor!  icon_biggrin

Yes, games do have leaderboards, just like on Xbox Live. You can filter them as well by your friends list etc....

Blast Factor is pretty fun. Damn, I LOVE this system!

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2006, 03:06:57 AM »

First of all: lets stop derailing the thread. Second of all, Kobra, stop trying to pick fights and fuck with Hetz. My guess is he will get about 100x the rope here than you will. Hetz, please post some impressions about stuff like Madden that are cross-platform, I know Ron has some good ps3 reviews out and more coming but I am curious to hear more opinions about that. Also, I would have liked to have seen some pics-any chance you will put them back up?
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2006, 03:18:36 AM »

Hetz, so is it 100% free to play online?

Some more impressions would be great!

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2006, 03:20:44 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 18, 2006, 03:06:57 AM

First of all: lets stop derailing the thread. Second of all, Kobra, stop trying to pick fights and fuck with Hetz. My guess is he will get about 100x the rope here than you will. Hetz, please post some impressions about stuff like Madden that are cross-platform, I know Ron has some good ps3 reviews out and more coming but I am curious to hear more opinions about that. Also, I would have liked to have seen some pics-any chance you will put them back up?

Yeah, I'll put some gameplay pics up tomorrow morning. Just got done with another 40 player Resistance game.....this game is GREAT! It has full stat tracking and ranking. Its a ton of fun playing multiplayer and I haven't even played the single player yet. I'll try out Madden tomorrow.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2006, 03:21:02 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on November 18, 2006, 03:18:36 AM

Hetz, so is it 100% free to play online?

Some more impressions would be great!

Yes, it is.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2006, 03:30:39 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 18, 2006, 03:20:44 AM

Yeah, I'll put some gameplay pics up tomorrow morning. Just got done with another 40 player Resistance game.....this game is GREAT! It has full stat tracking and ranking. Its a ton of fun playing multiplayer and I haven't even played the single player yet. I'll try out Madden tomorrow.
Nice-was very curious about Resistance multiplayer-how is the lag Hetz?
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2006, 03:31:03 AM »

Have you noticed any lag or hiccups online yet? Do you remember what the general download speed was for the demos/arcade games?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2006, 03:32:08 AM »

It depends, do you want to be working at McDonalds at 65 or not?
Pssh, I'm done with college (for now) and so is my wife in a few more months.  It isn't about saving money as much as it is motivation and followthrough.  I run this nuthouse out of my pocket (not a wise 'investement' currently, but will pay off some day financially speaking I'm sure) as well as buy way too many games.  We still live pretty well thanks to good motivation.

Do you have kids and want them to have college paid for without going into loan debt?
  Snip snip.  Problem solved, no kids. (adoption one day maybe)

How about a nice nest egg for them when you die?
  How bout I enjoy that nest egg?  I hatched it!  Little birdies gotta learn to leave the nest and hunt sometime.

Really, I think it boils down to short term enjoyment, or long term satisfaction.
  I'm one or two certs from making really good money, long and short term.  I don't see a need to settle for one or the other.

True that.  I was very skeptical about it when my wife mentioned the price tag.  Bringing one home to 'demo' on our rugs sold me immediately. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2006, 03:33:29 AM »

*nod*  I'll be picking up a PS3 myself at some point in the next month-ish timeframe.  I wish I had more online time with the PS3 to contribute to the thread....

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2006, 03:34:07 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on November 18, 2006, 03:31:03 AM

Have you noticed any lag or hiccups online yet? Do you remember what the general download speed was for the demos/arcade games?

I didn't have any lag problems at all. Was all silky smooth even with 40 people playing at once. It also has full stat tracking for your online statistics.

The demos and arcade games were all very speedy. Faster than the Xbox Marketplace speeds that I usually get.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2006, 03:37:30 AM »

I know THP8 doesn't have multiplayer.  COD3 certainly does - 24 person multi.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2006, 03:39:57 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 18, 2006, 03:33:29 AM

*nod*  I'll be picking up a PS3 myself at some point in the next month-ish timeframe.  I wish I had more online time with the PS3 to contribute to the thread....
Hey Ron, are you telling me they aren't letting you keep you review box? Are you kidding? Have they gone that cheap?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2006, 03:44:26 AM »

Here are a couple shots to tide you all over until morning....first of the store (notice the new files list and Top 10) and then of Genji on the XMB.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: