http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 03:49:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thanksgiving Holiday Gaming Recap!  (Read 1158 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2006, 01:22:39 PM »

Well, my guests ended up leaving a day earlier than expected, that leant itself to a robust day or so of gaming.

Behold:

Gears of War: I'm to Act II and so far this game is riveting. I've got the controls down now and the gameplay is outstanding. I can definitely see myself playing through multiple times.  There are some VERY intense moments, I must say.  The addition of John "Bender" Dimaggio as the main voice guy makes this even better. There is one part though where a transmission comes into Fenix and it sounds like Bender is under fire from the Locust.  Rather surreal.  icon_biggrin

Battles of Prince of Persia: I finished 2.5 missions.  Only 2 more missions to go and I'm done with this unheralded gem.  Fabulous.

Guitar Hero: My 15 year old niece is officially the Eric Claptonesqe guitar god of the ATB extended family. I took her on some songs, but she pwns me.

Oh and I took today off too...so I should be able to do some more!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 01:24:14 PM by ATB » Logged
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 01:32:10 PM »

I beat Children of Mana on DS and started FF3.  Played a crapload of Zelda (just beat the 4th dungeon) and I am leaning towards calling this the best Zelda game ever.  Played some Wii Sports and Tony Hawk Downhill Jam, with a wee bit of Rayman on the side for good measure.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 01:44:06 PM »

Quite the hodgepodge of gaming for me:

Rainbow Six Vegas- Just not grabbing me.  Undecided whether I'll put it up on Ebay or keep it tucked away hoping that it clicks with me down the road.  I really should like it, but I don't.

FFXII- couple of hours.  Still my old standby and I enjoy it everytime I boot it up.  To echo someone in the FFXII thread, I do think I need to buckle down and finally make some progress on the story (I've been wrapped up in hunts/sidequests).

Company of Heroes- Several hours.  Very impressive.  Though I'm a bit bogged down in the fourth campaign mission (Red Ball Express).  I need to replay a portion of it to try and rectify a few mistakes but I'm not really looking forward to that. 

Gothic 3- Several hours.  Got *most* of my technical issues worked out so I'm getting good peformance with some very nice visuals.  Gameplay is classic Gothic, which is a good thing, but the load times are bad enough to dampen my desisre to play.

Yoshi's Island DS-  Nearing the end of the second world and having a blast.  The different abilities of the babies really sets this game apart from it's predecessor. 

The Minish Cap- Really dying for a Zelda fix but since I have to wait a month to play Twilight Princess, a replay of Minish Cap has to suffice.  Just past the second dungeon and it's as addictive as the first time I played it.

Neverwinter Nights 2- Thanks to the Beta patch this was probably my most played game of the weekend.  Finally  made it into Neverwinter and the game is really grabbing me now.  I think this will probably become my "primary" game for the near future. 
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 01:45:36 PM »

I finally got a Wii, so I put in about an hour with Zelda and about an hour collectively with the Wii Sports stuff.  I also got in my time with Resistance for the review, and started playing Genji for my next review after Gears of War. I then took my wife out to see the Tran-Siberian Orchestra, which was unfrigginbelievable!  We tried to stay and get our box set signed, but it was midnight already and I had to get up for work in just 4.5 hours.  I'm gonna be phoning it in today...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 01:50:53 PM »

Played through the campaign for Rainbow 6 twice.  (stupid bug that resets the difficulty when you quit out)  Played and beat all but 2 of the terrorist hunts. (looking for some co-op action on those)  Played through a good portion of the story co-op. (missing a section in the middle)  Played a little bit of MP, where I sucked quite a bit.

Other than that... don't think I played anything else really.   Oh, a little bit of lumines live.  Love the game still, but the delay between slowly scrolling horizontally to OMG speed demon scrolling is a little short for me at the moment.  That will take some adjustment.

Kept looking at the stack of games I have, and kept ending up playing Rainbow 6.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 02:17:34 PM »

Surprisingly little time spent gaming this weekend, I was working Friday though.

NBA 2K7 was booted up for the first time. It was very pretty and I suck very badly. Only about 3 hours played and all of that in the 24/7:Next mode which is amusing.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 03:03:08 PM »

I started out the week getting in several scenarios of Birth of America w/the new patch.  Then we got in a good 4-5 lan games of Company of Heroes after I repurchased it for $0 (after using gift card).

Spellforce 2 got about 10 hours action from my son, another 2-3 hours from myself.   1701 A.D. got at least 10 more hours, I managed to get through 4-5 Scenarios, and play a couple really long lan sessions in it.(this really is a fabulous game)  Messed around with 3-4 retro titles in Gametap for a bit as well, and managed to sneak in a bit of time with The Guild 2.  Finally, I got in some time with some small web-based games I enjoy such as Rush Hour and Hive.

That was it.. Quite honestly, the weather was so fabulous here, I spent a large amount of time outside or in the garage working on projects. Not to mention we played at least a half dozen board/card games over the weekend.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 03:14:38 PM »

I'm really trying to polish off Fable: The Lost Chapters for the Xbox.  It's got its flaws but overall I like it a lot.  And I'm 11 hours in and I'm thinking I'm nowhere near the original end of the game, much less the extra content.  I'm not sure what the complaints about this game being short were unless people just ignored all possible sidequests and blew through the dang thing.

I'm still working on Lunar: Silver Star Story for the Playstation

I started Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime for the DS and I'm loving it so far.
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 03:22:35 PM »

Played BF2 and BF2142 demos. Then picked up BF2142 for cheap at BB and played an hour or so. Really enjoying it, especially the city combat.

Played some JointOps, which I still enjoy for the co-op but occassionally still play AAS.

Then played a round or two of SP UT2K4, some OFP and a bit more of HL2 SP.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 03:28:55 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 27, 2006, 01:45:36 PM

I then took my wife out to see the Tran-Siberian Orchestra, which was unfrigginbelievable!

They're going to be in town on December 22nd, and I've been trying to get people together to see them.

As for gaming this weekend, most Gothic 1 and NWN2 (finally got the graphics to a decent setting and the game has clicked).  I don't think I fired up the 360 or PS2 at all.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 03:29:18 PM »

Lots of co-op Guitar Hero 2. Failing "Freebird" on hard after getting through 90% of the song hurts.  icon_frown
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 03:44:22 PM »

We canceled our Florida trip due to Luke having a nasty virus that kept him down from Monday-Sunday.  (He was actually finally fine yesterday)  Anyway, that should have meant lots of game time but we seemed to keep busy with other stuff.  Of course this illness allowed me to hit BB on Sunday and grab a Wii.  My game time got cut down a bit as I think it took around an hour to get the Wii updated, but I still played some Wii sports.

I bought Rayman and Cars for the Wii but haven't opened either.  I bought Cars as I figured it would be more game time as Luke would enjoy watching it, however I'd like to be playing a half decent game, especially for $50.00.  I'll probably open Rayman tonight and return Cars and grab Zelda instead.  I'll grab Cars as a bargain game down the road.

Recap, I played an hour or so of Wii sports.  Tongue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 03:49:02 PM »

I bought Cars as I figured it would be more game time as Luke would enjoy watching it, however I'd like to be playing a half decent game, especially for $50.00.  I'll probably open Rayman tonight and return Cars and grab Zelda instead.  I'll grab Cars as a bargain game down the road.

I'm not speaking from personal experience, but one the guys on the 1Up podcast was saying that Cars is a legitimately good game (at least on the PS2 and 360, don't know about the Wii).  Not that I think you shouldn't get Zelda instead...
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 04:08:40 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on November 27, 2006, 03:29:18 PM

Lots of co-op Guitar Hero 2. Failing "Freebird" on hard after getting through 90% of the song hurts.  icon_frown

It doesn't help that the song is like 8 hours long does it?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 04:10:00 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 27, 2006, 03:49:02 PM

I bought Cars as I figured it would be more game time as Luke would enjoy watching it, however I'd like to be playing a half decent game, especially for $50.00.  I'll probably open Rayman tonight and return Cars and grab Zelda instead.  I'll grab Cars as a bargain game down the road.

I'm not speaking from personal experience, but one the guys on the 1Up podcast was saying that Cars is a legitimately good game (at least on the PS2 and 360, don't know about the Wii).  Not that I think you shouldn't get Zelda instead...
If only there were a reputable website that had a review of it.  ninja
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 04:15:38 PM »

Got through to Act III of GoW.  Liking it alot more than i thought i would since i'm new to console shooters.

Played alot of NBA 2k7.  Started my season and so far i am 4-0.  Easily my favorite 360 game thus far.  Having an incredible time with it.

And played some single and multi player Rainbow 6.  I really want to like this game, but i just plain out suck at it.  Gonna give it some more play before i decide its not for me.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2006, 05:18:00 PM »

-Played some online College Hoops 2K7. 

-Still grinding to the finish of Splinter Cell on the 360.  I think I am beginning the last mission.

-Started Company of Heroes over after being away from it for a few weeks.  I am on mission 4.  Great game.

-Finished up Metroid Prime Hunters SP campaign on the DS.

-Played some Resistance and Gundam on my brother-in-law's PS3 on Thanksgiving day.  Resistance is pretty good.  Gundam not so much with the good.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
depward

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2006, 05:22:27 PM »

Lots and lots and lots of Wii (Zelda, Trauma Center & Wii Sports).  Final Fantasy III as well.  A LITTLE Final Fantasy XII and some NHL 2k7 for the 360.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006, 05:28:27 PM »

Was a way until Sunday, but I got in a good chunk of Psi-Ops on Xbox.  I am on the 2nd to last chapter and it started getting a bit frustrating so I played a little Dead to Rights on Xbox.  I played a little bit of GTA: Liberty City Stories for PSP on the plane, but I am getting to the point of selling it because the driving is too frustrating on the PSP and I am stuck on a bunch of missions.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2006, 10:40:40 PM »

Played exactly nada as I was in Lubbock until late last night. Now that I'm home, I'm on tap this week for a review of The Sopranos and finishing off the brilliant LEGO Star Wars II at some point. And by finishing it off I mean burning through Jedi with My Fair Lady so we can turn around and go through Free Play together to see the 3/4 of the game we missed the first time through.  icon_twisted

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: