http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 10:24:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: thanks for the info....  (Read 1510 times)
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: January 05, 2005, 04:46:14 PM »

Hey all, a few weeks ago I queried the hive mind about consoles and some of you gave sound advice.   I picked up an xbox before Christmas and it has taken over all spare time of every member of the family.   Just wanted to say thanks.

My wife really likes playing the collections of classic games I bought and the kids are into Barbie and Spyro.  I've already played through all the singleplayer of Star Wars Battlefront (admittedly a very short game).   Needing a Jedi fix, I picked up the first KOTOR the other night from the used game place in town but haven't put it in yet.   Anyone ever have any issues with used games?   I tentatively got xbox live connected last night but haven't setup my account yet.  I don't want to burn the time I purchased until I'm ready to actually play people online.

Tangential note, on New Years Eve we had some friends over.  The kids put in the Atari Anthology I had bought and spent well over an hour playing Skydiver.   I felt like I was transported back to the late 70s.   It was very surreal and odd seeing that game on my HDTV.

- shaggy

Thin_J
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 04:57:57 PM »

As soon as you have a game that you're interested in playing online, I highly recommend getting on Live with some friends. It turned the Xbox into my main source of gaming, as opposed to just my console alternative to my PC.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 05:00:12 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
As soon as you have a game that you're interested in playing online, I highly recommend getting on Live with some friends. It turned the Xbox into my main source of gaming, as opposed to just my console alternative to my PC.

I can see that happening but...none of my friends actually own an xbox!   One of them wants one but is holding out until he finishes school.  

- doug

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 05:04:49 PM »

I find that while, I am classic console NUT as you can see by an image of my basement.

I find that nostalgiac games dont last that long with me. I play those atari games for 5 minutes...

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 06:00:30 PM »

I used to have that little Space Pinball game.  My parents got it for me at Radio Shack when I was about 12.  I loved that thing
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 07:43:37 PM »

If you like the Atari Anthology, pick up the first volume of Midway Arcade Classics.  Good fun.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 07:56:54 PM »

Quote from: "HankRaptor"
I find that while, I am classic console NUT as you can see by an image of my basement.

I find that nostalgiac games dont last that long with me. I play those atari games for 5 minutes...

man, that must be every system ever made.  you even have the 32x for genesis, and that lasted a very short time

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 08:31:41 PM »

Quote from: "ChrisGwinn"
If you like the Atari Anthology, pick up the first volume of Midway Arcade Classics.  Good fun.

Got that as well.  Also a collection from Namco that had Galaga, Dig-Dug, Pole Position and Pac-man on it.   My wifes favorite is actually Galaga which surprised me.   I figured she'd be into the Centipede on the Atari more.

- shaggy

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 08:33:35 PM »

Quote from: "shaggydoug"
Quote from: "Thin_J"

I can see that happening but...none of my friends actually own an xbox!   One of them wants one but is holding out until he finishes school.  

- doug

Well damnit man, just play games with us!

I play Halo 2 and Ghost Recon 2 almost constantly these days, plus the recent addition of Mechassault 2. I also have Links 2004 on the way, if golf is in your gaming preferences anywhere.

I've only managed a game or two with people from CG, but I still play bunches with other people from a couple of other sites. You're always welcome to join in the gaming fun smile

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 09:10:26 PM »

Hank:  What's the name of that system on the bottom left?  If it's the one I'm thinking of, you put transparent screen overlays on for each different game.  Can't remember the name of it though.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 09:12:21 PM »

I *think* that system is a VECTREX.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2005, 09:44:01 PM »

Quote from: "ChrisGwinn"

Got that as well.  Also a collection from Namco that had Galaga, Dig-Dug, Pole Position and Pac-man on it.   My wifes favorite is actually Galaga which surprised me.   I figured she'd be into the Centipede on the Atari more.

- shaggy

Centipede just isn't as fun with a gamepad.  It really needs the trakball...
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2005, 12:24:32 AM »

I've already played through all the singleplayer of Star Wars Battlefront (admittedly a very short game).   Needing a Jedi fix, I picked up the first KOTOR the other night from the used game place in town but haven't put it in yet.   Anyone ever have any issues with used games?

First, welcome aboard, shaggy.

Second, if you need a Jedi fix then KotOR should bowl you over.  It's not as action packed as SW:B, but it is light years ahead in terms of immersion.

If your looking for more action in your Star Wars universe, give the Jedi Knight games (Jedi Academy being the latest) a shot.  It nice to just go wild with the Light Saber (and pick between good and evil).

As for your question, I've only had one problem with a used game (suprisingly a GBA game in which the battery was dead).  No problem exchanging it (actully returned since they only had the one copy).  Just take a look at the disc before you buy it and get another copy if it is all scratched.  The big places will exchange damaged goods within 30 days.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2005, 02:33:49 PM »

Hank: What's the name of that system on the bottom left? If it's the one I'm thinking of, you put transparent screen overlays on for each different game. Can't remember the name of it though.

Vectrex... One of my favorite systems.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2005, 05:51:02 PM »

Wow man, congrats on that collection. There are like 10 systems in that thing that I dont even know of. Wow, thats all I can say. :shock:

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: