http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 02:44:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TF2 Scout update next week  (Read 1721 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2009, 09:59:39 PM »

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/44822/This-is-the-TF2-Scout-Update-That-You-Were-Looking-For

Scout update is coming next week. Heres a link to the Scout update site. Check back each day to see new info. The first up is The Sandman. A special bat that lets you hit baseballs at people and stun them. The further they fly the longer they are stunned. Even invul players. It takes away your double jump while using it though. I like it.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 03:22:37 AM »

Awesome, I wonder if this will make the scout truly viable at long range.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 05:09:14 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on February 18, 2009, 03:22:37 AM

Awesome, I wonder if this will make the scout truly viable at long range.

I hope not, they are fairly deadly close up with their gun and suberb at hit and run tactics.

morlac00 on PSN
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 06:13:42 PM »

The update is out, the sale is on ($9.99), and I'm in. How friendly is this game towards noobs? I imagine 'not very', but what method of learning would best serve a noob player at getting better?  The thought of just jumping in cold and pissing off experienced teammates doesn't sound appealing.

Is there a GT/OO crowd that still plays?

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 07:33:32 PM »

The game is friendly enough towards noobs. There are of course some assholes out there, but that's going to happen in every internet game. As for hurting your team, don't worry about it. Right now with the scout update most people are looking to get their scout achievements, so they're hurting their team anyways. I'd recommend you go Pyro or Medic to learn the game, though. Pyro is considered the Easy Button, where you pretty much just run around and shoot and don't even have to worry much about aim. Medic is great because you follow people who know the maps and it gives you good perspective on what's going on.

The OO'ers mostly play on the Gamers With Jobs private server. Check out the thread at OO for details.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 07:38:59 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on February 26, 2009, 07:33:32 PM

Pyro is considered the Easy Button, where you pretty much just run around and shoot and don't even have to worry much about aim.

Hey!  I'm really good with the Pyro and it is one of my favorite classes to play.  Now I feel like I'm not uber or something.  slywink
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 07:40:01 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on February 26, 2009, 07:33:32 PM

The game is friendly enough towards noobs. There are of course some assholes out there, but that's going to happen in every internet game. As for hurting your team, don't worry about it. Right now with the scout update most people are looking to get their scout achievements, so they're hurting their team anyways. I'd recommend you go Pyro or Medic to learn the game, though. Pyro is considered the Easy Button, where you pretty much just run around and shoot and don't even have to worry much about aim. Medic is great because you follow people who know the maps and it gives you good perspective on what's going on.

The OO'ers mostly play on the Gamers With Jobs private server. Check out the thread at OO for details.

I'll echo the noob friendliness.  Stay away from pub servers, and you will have a blast.  I got signed up on Stan's (GWJ), and it's always fun.  Forewarned, they have a pretty rabid following there, can be hard to get in sometimes.

Just pick a class, and play it and watch what others do.  I play an Engi, and it's a hoot!

"Goonies never say die"
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 07:46:43 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on February 26, 2009, 07:40:01 PM

Just pick a class, and play it and watch what others do.  I play an Engi, and it's a hoot!
Engie is bad for a noob. To be a good engineer you really have to know the map and where to place your sentry. Otherwise you're just going to get bowled over. I also would recommend not playing Spy until you've got a lot of experience.

Edit - But yeah the best way to get into TF2 is just to jump into TF2 and start playing.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 07:52:27 PM »

Thanks for the replies. Another friend of mine got the game yesterday too (Rich here at GT), and he listens to the GWJ podcast and told me about their more mature server, so I'd been over there signing up for their forums today, coincidentally.

Was reading there that they have 'official TF2 nights' on Mon, Tues & Fri, is that the only time they play, or is the server always up?

A medic sounds good to me, I enjoy playing a support class.

I found the TF2 Wiki as well.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 07:58:01 PM »

The GWJ TF2 group is a great bunch of people.  I met them when EvilHomer set up an OO vs. GWJ scrimmage (let us not speak of the outcome) and their server became my primary hangout.

Playing there for the first time is a little bit of a mixed blessing.  You'll be with good people who are friendly and use voice communication a lot, but they also have some ridiculously high skilled players that will make mince meat out of a beginner.  Still, it's best to play with the best, and I'd still recommend introducing yourself in their TF2 thread and making their server your new home.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 08:08:18 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on February 26, 2009, 07:46:43 PM

Quote from: El-Producto on February 26, 2009, 07:40:01 PM

Engie is bad for a noob. To be a good engineer you really have to know the map and where to place your sentry. Otherwise you're just going to get bowled over. I also would recommend not playing Spy until you've got a lot of experience.

Edit - But yeah the best way to get into TF2 is just to jump into TF2 and start playing.

I never worry about which class is good for noobs.. I just pick a class that's interesting and play it.  Ya, I got my ass kicked for hours, but once I learned the maps.. I became quite effective. 

"Goonies never say die"
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 08:18:08 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on February 26, 2009, 07:52:27 PM

Was reading there that they have 'official TF2 nights' on Mon, Tues & Fri, is that the only time they play, or is the server always up?
The server is always up. The official nights are just the more difficult nights to get in. We tend to play every night. Usually the server starts filling up around 9:30pm EST but with the scout update it's a bit different and fills up faster and stays full longer.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 08:20:29 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 26, 2009, 07:58:01 PM

The GWJ TF2 group is a great bunch of people.  I met them when EvilHomer set up an OO vs. GWJ scrimmage (let us not speak of the outcome) and their server became my primary hangout.
Hey we had a good pyro rush round slywink.

but they also have some ridiculously high skilled players that will make mince meat out of a beginner.
icon_twisted
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 09:07:06 PM »

I've put a request in for the server pw, so I hope to be on tonight.

Keep an eye out for me (I'm sure cheeba will be slywink) ... I'll be the guy cowering in a corner, whimpering "find your happy place, find your happy place"
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 09:14:06 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on February 26, 2009, 09:07:06 PM

No need to message them for the password, other than the courtesy of introducing yourself in the thread.  Just look at jakeleg's signature for the password.

Do you have a headset already for your PC?  You really want one for Stan's Lounge.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 09:24:17 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 26, 2009, 09:14:06 PM

Quote from: Jeff on February 26, 2009, 09:07:06 PM

No need to message them for the password, other than the courtesy of introducing yourself in the thread.  Just look at jakeleg's signature for the password.

Do you have a headset already for your PC?  You really want one for Stan's Lounge.

Jakeleg's sig now says to PM nsmike for a pw.

And yep, I have a headset. I'll make sure it's ready. Also gonna try and get those maps downloaded in advance.

I can't believe how busy the GWJ forums are ... wow. The TF2 thread is over a year old and approaching 13,000 posts.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 09:32:46 PM »

I haven't played TF2 in ages, but the GWJ folks are a great group.  There are some extremely good players, but in my experience they are also very patient and helpful to newbies trying to learn the game.

Before going online, I'd suggest taking a half hour on your own and running through a few of the maps and classes to get a feel for the controls and some of the map layouts.

IMHO soldier is a great newbie class to start with.  Pyro is also pretty good.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 09:50:07 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on February 26, 2009, 09:32:46 PM

I haven't played TF2 in ages, but the GWJ folks are a great group.  There are some extremely good players, but in my experience they are also very patient and helpful to newbies trying to learn the game.

Their forums seem very friendly so far.

Before going online, I'd suggest taking a half hour on your own and running through a few of the maps and classes to get a feel for the controls and some of the map layouts.

Good idea. Haven't heard back from the GWJ guy with the password yet, can someone here just PM it to me? (edit: nm, found out that this is against the GWJ rules, i've since received the pw anyway).

IMHO soldier is a great newbie class to start with.  Pyro is also pretty good.

I'll probably try different ones, but I'm thinking I'll start with medic. How does the game manage too many people picking the same class? (say, Scout, now because of the patch)

« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 11:57:58 PM by Jeff » Logged
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 11:05:06 PM »

Most servers have a class number limit in effect so you can't have a team of 10 pyros however cool that may be smile

I love playing medic, don't be afraid of your bonesaw it is wicked up close slywink

morlac00 on PSN
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 01:17:41 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 26, 2009, 09:14:06 PM

It's been a while since you've played, apparently frown. For probably 3'ish months now they've had a mailing list. You have to PM one of the guys there and he e-mails the password.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 01:23:15 AM »

Quote from: Jeff on February 26, 2009, 09:50:07 PM

How does the game manage too many people picking the same class? (say, Scout, now because of the patch)
There are no class restrictions on Stan's. Unfortunately during this scout fad you'll see 50 scouts running around. It'll go back to normal eventually. Generally, for Spy, Sniper, Engineer (if you're on offense), or Sniper, there shouldn't be more than 2 on a team. For the other classes it's usually OK if there are 3+.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 02:26:46 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on February 27, 2009, 01:23:15 AM

Quote from: Jeff on February 26, 2009, 09:50:07 PM

How does the game manage too many people picking the same class? (say, Scout, now because of the patch)
There are no class restrictions on Stan's. Unfortunately during this scout fad you'll see 50 scouts running around. It'll go back to normal eventually. Generally, for Spy, Sniper, Engineer (if you're on offense), or Sniper, there shouldn't be more than 2 on a team. For the other classes it's usually OK if there are 3+.

Well I played for a bit. that was madness, and damn fun, even though I had no clue what I was doing. I eventually switched to Soldier and just tried to kill anything wearing red. (fuzzybunny must've killed me 15 times).

How do you get upgrades?
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 02:39:11 AM »

You played on Hydro, which is one of the worser maps. On Stan's, Hydro always always ends up in a draw if there are more than 8 players per side.

The classes don't really get upgrades - it's more like sidegrades. They tend to be different instead of better, though some are clearly better (the medic syringe gun and saw, all the scout stuff is f'n overpowered at the moment). You get them by getting achievements. Click on the Achievements thing in the game menu for a list. Not all classes have them yet. Soldier, Spy, Demoman... hmm, not sure if any others don't.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2009, 04:13:43 PM »

I can't wait until the scout craze is over. I love playing scout, but only when there are 1 or 2 on a side max. Having 5 or more is just annoying.
Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2009, 09:28:26 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on February 27, 2009, 02:39:11 AM

You played on Hydro, which is one of the worser maps. On Stan's, Hydro always always ends up in a draw if there are more than 8 players per side.

The classes don't really get upgrades - it's more like sidegrades. They tend to be different instead of better, though some are clearly better (the medic syringe gun and saw, all the scout stuff is f'n overpowered at the moment). You get them by getting achievements. Click on the Achievements thing in the game menu for a list. Not all classes have them yet. Soldier, Spy, Demoman... hmm, not sure if any others don't.

I know most medics love the ubersaw.  After playing medic for 360+ hours, I got rid of the thing (I like to play competitively).  Pub play, the thing us fine.  For comp play, it sucks.  When I medic, I need to live as long as possible.  If I'm in a situation where I have to pull my saw out, then it's about survival.  The extra bit of time the ubersaw takes to make a second attack has often ment the difference between living and dying.  The blutsauger rocks.

The scout update is... interesting.  Scout vs Scout, I'll take the old weapons.  I just went and played and the old weapons (with double jump) really beat out the new weapons.  However, the scout update has really screwed with heavies, engies, soldiers and the ubercharge attack.  To add insult to unjury, the scout's ball not only goes through uber, but the scouts energy drink makes them immune to the ball.  So scouts (the fastest class that can easily dodge the ball) gets to be the only class that has an immunity to the ball.

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
http://one.revver.com/watch/261625
whispa
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2009, 01:42:21 PM »

Fired up TF2, haven't played in ages. Had a fun time but man there are a lot of scouts out there for now haha
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2009, 04:41:35 PM »

Was that you on Stan's last night, Whispa?
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2009, 06:57:14 PM »

Quote from: whispa on February 28, 2009, 01:42:21 PM

Fired up TF2, haven't played in ages. Had a fun time but man there are a lot of scouts out there for now haha

Yea, it's absolutely annoying.  Their new toys are way overpowered imo.

morlac00 on PSN
whispa
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2009, 12:43:03 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on February 28, 2009, 04:41:35 PM

Yes, that was me. Lying dead with another one of your sniper bullets in meh head  tear
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2009, 01:50:12 AM »

Quote from: whispa on March 01, 2009, 12:43:03 AM

Yes, that was me. Lying dead with another one of your sniper bullets in meh head  tear
Hehe sorry. I'm actually pretty bad at sniper, but I've had a decent couple nights with it while the scout update is still such a huge fad.
whispa
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2009, 02:55:18 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on March 01, 2009, 01:50:12 AM

Quote from: whispa on March 01, 2009, 12:43:03 AM

Hehe sorry. I'm actually pretty bad at sniper, but I've had a decent couple nights with it while the scout update is still such a huge fad.

All in fun  icon_cool

I forgot how fun the game is!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: