http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 11:54:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Terraria- Minecraft type game, sideways, and more game. On Steam now.  (Read 8661 times)
lokiju
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2011, 04:32:40 PM »

Quote from: Lord Percy on May 24, 2011, 08:10:43 PM

I like making apartment buildings like this, so that NPCs don't wander around and open the door to my storage room at night.

Hasn't happened to me yet, but can zombies and such actually do any damage to the inside of your structure?

So far I'm hooked.  I love the similarities to Minecraft, but with the added goals of getting loot from bosses, floating islands, different lands with new challenges (and not just biome scenery) and such.  If Minecraft had the same reward, item, and NPC systems of Terraria I'd go back in a heartbeat.  As it stands now, this is what Minecraft should have been in 3D.     

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2011, 06:12:43 PM »

Quote from: lokiju on May 25, 2011, 04:32:40 PM

Hasn't happened to me yet, but can zombies and such actually do any damage to the inside of your structure?

Not that I know of, but I don't want to have to deal with zombies and such when I'm trying to craft something or sort my goods. Also, your NPCs can be hurt (and I think killed).
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2011, 07:25:58 PM »

i'm fast getting desperate for one of 2 things...a mouseover showing what a tile is (silver/iron/stone), or a mod that replaces silver and iron grahpics.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2011, 07:54:47 PM »

Quote from: Fuzzballx on May 25, 2011, 07:25:58 PM

i'm fast getting desperate for one of 2 things...a mouseover showing what a tile is (silver/iron/stone), or a mod that replaces silver and iron grahpics.

Yeah, better item visuals and/or tooltips would be extremely helpful.  I also tend to miss gemstones (seeing them later upon returning to the same spot).  Sometimes they're just not bright enough for me to see.  

Edit:  Looks like we may never get mods that aren't DLC content from the developers: http://lokkazad.com/?p=532 Well, looks like I may go back to Minecraft.  I hate developer asshattery.  Terraria is in no way a game where people want to wait for months to get a mod that costs $5 as opposed to letting the community do it for free within weeks.  Add official DLC and charge for it, but don't make us pay for different graphics and small improvements.  First bad sign for me.

Edit 2: What I find interesting is this answer in the interview:

Are there any major game releases that you’re looking forward to?
Redigit: Skyrim and Diablo 3
Blue: Ive been looking forward to a fan created mod release actually, Black Mesa Source. But its release has been a long time coming.

Um, you won't let modders help with your game, but you're looking forward to another game's modding community endeavors?  Asshattery I say!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 08:06:07 PM by lokiju » Logged

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2011, 10:34:09 PM »

Eh, i'm rather unconcerned myself.

I'm getting more used to distinguishing ore types too.

My castle is up and i'm in all iron/silver tools and i'm in iron/silver tools/weapons now with iron armor.  over 100 copper ore stockpiled up.  And i'm by no means a hardcore player.  And i'm playin on a big map.  I did finally find my gemstones today, emeralds...no idea what gemstones are for yet. that was my frist clue they were in the game:)

I made a boss summon with10 lenses and used it while underground....i think i saw the boss fly off ehind the wall...but never seen it since that brief moment.  Guess i was supposed to take it to the surface to use it....oh well, almost 10 more lenses now.

I've gone really deep now though the caverns i found, and i really have no idea how big the world really is..but i keep going deeper...finding more caverns, more pots to smash, health upgrades, etc.

Would be interested if there was a way to print a map of the explored area of the world showing you just how little of it you've explored.  Then again, maybe that'd be one of those mod things and i should be concerned after all.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2011, 11:46:57 PM »

Actually, I believe a map viewer does exist for Terraria, along with the widescreen hack.  And not sure what happened when you summoned the Eye of Cthulu, but he should have killed you.  Guess you got lucky...?  Maybe because it was daytime outside?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2011, 03:00:26 PM »

started building a tower.  I love how the NPC's will leave doors wide open for monsters to waltz through.  I was crafting at the workbench when the Guide calmly opened up the outside door with a bunch of zombies outside and I suddenly found myself having to fight.  been doing some exploring, but it kind loses some of the magic when you can see there is an empty space behind a bunch of blocks.  there's no tunneling only to find yourself suddenly facing a huge cave or a tunnel flooding with water (or lava!).

so far it's not replacing minecraft, it's more like a fling in Vegas.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2011, 03:15:21 PM »

See, I'm of the opposite opinion.  So far, this is almost everything I wanted Minecraft to be, just not in 2D. 

Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2011, 07:12:51 PM »

I finally beat that stupid Eye of Cthulhu. The first time it kicked my ass as I was trying to whack it with a sword. Later on I found an enchanted boomerang, which is basically an infinite use ranged weapon. I literally got it down to 50 hp (out of 3000)... only for the sun to rise, causing the monster to fly away. Damnit. However, now I killed it with time to spare, and he dropped a bunch of Demonite material. smile Not sure what I will make with it yet. It gives me the option of a sword and a bow, but those don't look like a vast improvement over what I already have. I think I'll save it for later, maybe to make some armor out of it or something.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2011, 07:18:43 PM »

Make tools out of it, you will need daemonite tools to mine the more powerful metals later.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2011, 08:25:16 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 26, 2011, 07:18:43 PM

Make tools out of it, you will need daemonite tools to mine the more powerful metals later.

Yeah, but you also need shadow scales to make the nightmare axe, so unless he killed the Eater of Worlds he can't make it yet (like me). 

Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2011, 09:48:39 PM »

Uncle uncle uncle uncle uncle!

I used the map viewer cause i could not contain my bloody curiousity at just how much of my "large" world i'd explored so far...

Seeing it....obliterated my pride at my digging ability.

I am now officially in shock at the size of the "large world" It's ubermongous and i now totally understand why folks said use a small world for single player....

It might take me years to fully explore this large map.

Thinking i'm gonna take my tools to a new smaller land:P

You can't even zoom it in far enough on imageshack to see anything.. My bigass burgeoning castle is that speck in the middle the map on top of the ground.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 09:57:24 PM by Fuzzballx » Logged
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2011, 10:27:29 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 26, 2011, 07:18:43 PM

Always... always... make a pick out of new materials first. You'll thank me.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2011, 10:47:48 PM »

OK, are there ladders in this game or do I need to treet the inside of buildings like a level from Mario Bros.?

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2011, 11:33:02 PM »

Use Wooden Platforms (made from 1 piece of wood). They work like a 2 way platform in any platformer. You can jump through them to land on top of them, and can drop down through them by pressing the down key.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2011, 11:33:38 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 26, 2011, 11:33:02 PM

Use Wooden Platforms (made from 1 piece of wood). They work like a 2 way platform in any platformer. You can jump through them to land on top of them, and can drop down through them by pressing the down key.

cool, thanks!

Because I can,
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2011, 11:43:27 PM »

Quote from: Fuzzballx on May 26, 2011, 09:48:39 PM

I am now officially in shock at the size of the "large world" It's ubermongous and i now totally understand why folks said use a small world for single player....

It might take me years to fully explore this large map.

Cripes.  Yeah, glad I started with a small world.  Sheesh, that's crazy!

Quote from: CeeKay on May 26, 2011, 11:33:38 PM

Quote from: Turtle on May 26, 2011, 11:33:02 PM

cool, thanks!

Yeah, you'll be placing a lot of platforms...A LOT. Heh, well, at least until you can make a grappling hook.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 11:45:24 PM by lokiju » Logged

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2011, 01:35:57 AM »

Crap.  I've played this game for like 10 hours and had no idea what the platforms did.  I just kept making rock staircases when I needed to get somewhere, which was about as convenient as it sounds.  icon_redface

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2011, 02:22:31 AM »

Quote from: kadnod on May 27, 2011, 01:35:57 AM

Crap.  I've played this game for like 10 hours and had no idea what the platforms did.  I just kept making rock staircases when I needed to get somewhere, which was about as convenient as it sounds.  icon_redface

yeah, I was figuring all the insides of my buildings would have to look like this:

Because I can,
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2011, 03:28:30 AM »

Man, I'm having a good time with this so far.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2011, 03:30:30 AM »

I just started up a new world, and I didn't realize all your stuff found in one world carries over, which will be cool because I don't like the new world but found a ton if iron and copper ore right away.

Because I can,
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2011, 06:30:17 AM »

Remember that if you need to remove platforms, you do this with a hammer - not an axe or pick. Same with the background walls.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2011, 12:25:23 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on May 27, 2011, 06:30:17 AM

Remember that if you need to remove platforms, you do this with a hammer - not an axe or pick. Same with the background walls.

Replacing background walls suck so bad.  I was going to go from wood to stone and quickly dismissed the idea once I realize I have to take everything out of my chests, take the chests down, place the wall, and replace the chest and items.  Major inconvenience.

lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2011, 12:26:44 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 27, 2011, 03:30:30 AM

I just started up a new world, and I didn't realize all your stuff found in one world carries over, which will be cool because I don't like the new world but found a ton if iron and copper ore right away.

Yeah I found 3 hearts in my old world (like 20 hours of play).  Popped into a new world, dug for maybe 15 minutes, and found 3 more.  Sometimes it pays to visit other worlds...though it does feel a little cheap.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2011, 02:39:44 PM »

The piggy bank that the merchant sells links to a your own private container that transfers between worlds as well.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2011, 04:54:23 PM »

I am so hooked on this game.  Small world or at worst medium is definitely the way to go as a single player or for your first world.

I can see doin a large world once you have some at least mid to higher power gear so you can dig faster, and you know what yer doing...and looking for things like specific areas.

In 8 hrs of digging, i never even found a chest in the large world, just clay pots, i found a chest within an hr on the small world...then a few more chests in the next couple hrs.  And lots of gems at this point within 4 hrs on small.  Sold most of them and got 10 gold.  Bought a mining helmet and piggy bank for my new small place and built a nice apartment complex.  I figure i'll make my McMansion in the big world:P

This is a seriously addicting and fun game! I really hope they continually release content and stuff, cause this has awesome potential as a game and world builder.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2011, 05:41:21 PM »

Okay, not to be a negative nancy....and I am (now) having fun with the game, but the first hour was HAIR PULLING OUT CURSING AT THE SCREEN FRUSTRATION.

First, and this one /still/ pisses me right the hell off:  Instead of taking the mouse settings from, y'know, Windows, the game has /it's own mouse settings which you cannot change/.  Meaning that if, like me, you have a left-handed mouse with the left button set to Mouse 1, and the right button to Mouse 2....the game reverses it.  Which means you have to play the game COMPLETELY BACKWARDS from anything else you normally do on your computer.  I've put in a request for this to be fixed, stat, as have others.  This is a huge 'WTF' in my book.

Second, there's a lot of "How the hell do I do this?" involved in the early game.  It says to build a workbench.  Great!  How do I place it?  I dunno....  I spent about 20 minutes in one world trying to figure it out.  Left-clicking did nothing.  Right-clicking did nothing.  Clicking on the menu threw it on the ground, but walking near it picked it right back up.  So, says me, let's go watch a tutorial.  Someone has to know how to do this, right? 

Oh god, the tutorial videos people are making.  The horror.  Look.  If you're making a video about 'how to survive day one', I don't need to listen to you talk about comparisons to Minecraft.  I don't need to listen to you talk about "Oh, let me pick up this copper" or "Hey there are slimes here."  I need to know, and VERY quickly:  How do I build a workbench?  How do I build walls?  How do I install a door?  HOW DO I BUILD A FREAKING HOUSE TO KEEP ME SAFE?  I don't need to know how many acorns a tree will drop.  If you're going to make a 30 minute 'tutorial' video, the first two minutes need to be:  "Okay, here's Terraria.  You start with a cheap pick and axe.  The axe is for chopping down trees, as so.  The pick is for the ground, as so.  Also, there are slimes during the day.  Use the pick to kill them.   Now that you have wood, here is how you craft.  Craft a workbench first.  Once you have it, here's how you place it.  Great. Now here's how you make a sword, hammer, chair, table and doors.  Now here is how you use wood to BUILD YOUR HOUSE.  Here's how you make the doors, and here's how to open or close them.  Now that you have that, I can spend 15-20 minutes talking about other things you may notice in the game.  Hope you enjoyed!"

Gyah.  Yes.  The game is fun once you get through the layer of "We're going to make you guess how to play.  Have fun!"  Yes, Minecraft had some of this also, however, in Minecraft the mouse didn't do things different from your OS, your beginning crafting area was VERY obvious, and when you placed and item, it was very obvious if you had thrown it out or placed it.   Also, the timing wasn't /quite/ as accelerated there. 

Anyway, my venting is over, for now.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2011, 06:50:31 PM »

You could have just asked us. slywink
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2011, 08:52:54 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on May 27, 2011, 05:41:21 PM

Anyway, my venting is over, for now.

I don't know...I bet most people who will try Terraria have already played Minecraft.  Aside from the slight differences in building (with a back wall panel), it seemed to be intuitive to me.  But then again, I'm someone who does a bit of research (wiki and whatnot) before playing a game.  I realize a lot of people are the opposite, jumping in and asking questions later, which would frustrate the hell out of me in games like this.   

As far as Youtube videos....well, as always 90% of the results are crap. 

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2011, 08:53:20 PM »

Except you guys don't respond the instant that I'm screaming at the computer going WHY WON"T THIS WORK!!!!! Tongue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »

Sure we would have. We'd have told you that Alt-F4 lowers the difficulty.

Because I can,
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2011, 11:52:43 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 27, 2011, 09:04:00 PM

Sure we would have. We'd have told you that Alt-F4 lowers the difficulty.

I thought that was CTRL-ALT-DEL, pressed twice, really fast.

Hmm... the piggy bank is a cross-world container?! Awesome!

Zarkon,

Behold the Terraria Wiki. (Err... I just noticed that some jackalopes have uploaded some very very NSFW pics in the gallery at the Terraria wiki, so be careful about that).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 11:56:32 PM by baelthazar » Logged
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2011, 12:54:07 AM »

Yeah the wiki has been a real lifesaver for me.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2011, 01:49:37 AM »

Yeah, I was in the same boat. I was absolutely LOST and regretting my decision and eventually had to figure out, "Oh, right mouse button be all like this, but left mouse button be all like this." A little bit more help at the outset would have been nice, in other words.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2011, 02:51:40 AM »

a friend just got this two days ago so it's very likely i will be getting a copy too. 

beyond the obvious stuff (which may not be that obvious), how easy is the mp to set up and get a world going?

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2011, 06:13:21 AM »

Quote from: Caine on May 28, 2011, 02:51:40 AM

a friend just got this two days ago so it's very likely i will be getting a copy too. 

beyond the obvious stuff (which may not be that obvious), how easy is the mp to set up and get a world going?

Very easy I just set it up today.  You start up Terraria and choose multiplayer and then you name and size the world and that's it for the server side.  You can't play the game from that instance because it's a standalone server but you can start up another version of Terraria on the same machine and connect by IP address, the server defaults to port 7777.  On the server you will see who is connected.   

I did port forwarding on my router and had one of my friends connect and it worked without problems, except that I just created the world and didn't build anything so when he connected it was night time
and zombies killed him pretty quickly.  I'm not sure the maximum that can connect but I think it's at least 8 or more.

lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2011, 04:28:33 PM »

Just had my first goblin invasion. Holy shit, I was not ready for that...great loot though! Great fun as well!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2011, 10:55:05 PM »

Quote from: lokiju on May 28, 2011, 04:28:33 PM

Just had my first goblin invasion. Holy shit, I was not ready for that...great loot though! Great fun as well!

haven't seen that yet, I heard it's like a 1 in 6 or 7 chance of happening each day.

Because I can,
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2011, 11:43:38 PM »

I think 1 in 15, but you have to meet certain criteria like:

*You must have at least one person in the game with 200+ current life.
*You must have smashed at least one Shadow Orb.
*You must not have had an invasion within 7 in-game days.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 11:46:46 PM by lokiju » Logged

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2011, 04:03:48 AM »

looking to pick up a copy now.  anyone interested in splitting a 4 pack?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: