http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 10:15:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Terraria- Minecraft type game, sideways, and more game. On Steam now.  (Read 6582 times)
Jarrodhk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2011, 06:50:45 AM »

Saw a thread on this at QT3 and have been watching the videos for a while. Looks like a bunch of fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5ObeTJ7jow&feature=related
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 10:50:14 PM by Jarrodhk » Logged

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 10:24:26 AM »

Yeah, I watched the first of their videos last night, and it looks damn impressive - I was very sad when I saw it wasn't out yet. Although, they do say release date in May.

A new one
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 07:21:41 PM »

Cool, this looks like it could be lots of fun.  Like a classic 16-bit action adventure side-scroller with a bunch of Minecraft thrown into the mix.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 08:33:58 PM »

Now this is the sort of minecraft-style game I was hoping someone would make. Not exactly like minecraft, and there's enough new features and gameplay there to justify itself standalone. On top of that it's the wort of thing that could push Notch to actually get more features done in his game, such as making combat an actually interesting part of the game like these guys have.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 11:43:04 PM »

Word over at QT3 is that this is out tomorrow on Steam and it's going for $9.99 but the price will go up.  I am definitely picking this one up-when it's that cheap there's no need to wait for a sale.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 03:37:55 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 14, 2011, 11:43:04 PM

Word over at QT3 is that this is out tomorrow on Steam and it's going for $9.99 but the price will go up.  I am definitely picking this one up-when it's that cheap there's no need to wait for a sale.

From what I saw it was going to be out on Monday, at least from the forum chatter. I am also in on this one!
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 12:42:17 PM »

That's what I mean-I'm in Japan so I'm a little bit ahead of the curve smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 11:37:41 PM »

A 2D sorta-Minecraft, but much more actiony? Sign me up. I'm buying this for sure Day 1.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 07:52:34 PM »

Out on Steam right now.  Anyone interested in a 4-pack?
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 10:07:50 PM »

It's $9.99 on Steam right now although that is an introductory offer-I just bought the 4-pack for $7.50 a piece.  If you're interested in getting in on the pack I have two more left.  Just send me a PM.  You can pay through paypal-I just ask that you cover the cost of the transaction.  That's all!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 12:39:28 AM »

Bah, I should have checked this thread before I just purchased my individual copy.

siege

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 01:27:02 AM »

Loving it so far. The initial loading time is very excessive on my machine for some reason. Takes like 5 minutes to boot up the world.

Edit: It's quite funny how today is the first time I've heard of the game yet it's the top seller on Steam and has more people playing it right now than Counterstrike.  saywhat
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 01:32:18 AM by siege » Logged
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 03:21:22 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 16, 2011, 10:07:50 PM

It's $9.99 on Steam right now although that is an introductory offer-I just bought the 4-pack for $7.50 a piece.  If you're interested in getting in on the pack I have two more left.  Just send me a PM.  You can pay through paypal-I just ask that you cover the cost of the transaction.  That's all!
PM

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 04:20:41 AM »

Hmm, I can't say that I have really been pulled in by this one yet.  I mean, it obviously has a lot of the same basic mechanics as Minecraft, but it seems to be missing the core things that kept me playing.  The sense of discovery, the sense of fear, the primal need to build shelter and survive, the pride in building something cool...all missing for me.  And without those emotions it's just a boring digging sim.

Maybe that will come with time, but I'm not sure I'm really willing to keep playing that much longer if I don't have a real reason to.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 04:21:20 AM »

I'm trying to find a spot in a 4 pack
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 08:59:58 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 17, 2011, 04:20:41 AM

it's just a boring digging sim.

Funny, but you just described Minecraft for me.  I will check this one out, though, to see if it is just more than digging.  I never got how people were afraid of Minecraft.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 12:25:28 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 16, 2011, 10:07:50 PM

How do I cover the cost of the transaction?

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 01:09:33 PM »

Do you have a Paypal account? You can use that.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 02:32:39 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 17, 2011, 04:20:41 AM

Hmm, I can't say that I have really been pulled in by this one yet.  I mean, it obviously has a lot of the same basic mechanics as Minecraft, but it seems to be missing the core things that kept me playing.  The sense of discovery, the sense of fear, the primal need to build shelter and survive, the pride in building something cool...all missing for me.  And without those emotions it's just a boring digging sim.

Maybe that will come with time, but I'm not sure I'm really willing to keep playing that much longer if I don't have a real reason to.

I'm feeling the same way.  I see a monster heading for me I just stand still and hold down the mouse button, and they eventually die.   with Minecraft there is the constant threat of being attacked from behind or above, so you have to pay constant attention.  even the night cycle doesn't give the same thrill that MC does.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 02:40:40 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 17, 2011, 01:09:33 PM

Do you have a Paypal account? You can use that.
Nevermind, I was confused lol. Yes, Payment sent, thanks

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2011, 02:47:53 PM »

Terraria has a way better adventuring gameplay. There's tons more stuff to find and use in Terraria than there is in minecraft.

Dig deep and you'll start finding chests with items that actually have immediate uses, instead of items that Notch just hasn't figure out how to put into the game normally.

Exploring is rewarded not just with new terrain features, but entire new terrain types. Overland you can find meteor impact sites, magical corruption and more. As you dig deeper and deeper you can find underground jungles, and even get to the underworld. All with their own unique spawns. There's massive dungeon complexes, floating islands with unique blocks, and more.

Minecraft could learn a lot from Terraria's exploration and adventure gameplay. There's actually a reason to explore, instead of heading out just to find a new piece of land to build on.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2011, 03:16:42 PM »

I haven't played it, but from viewing my sons gameplay there's got to be something to it. He played it from homework completion to bedtime and kicked M&B Warband and Shogun TW2 to the curbside in the process. slywink  I just don't have the time for these types of games anymore, but I can certainly see the appeal and quality.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2011, 03:54:14 PM »

About the only thing I don't like about it is the constant neverending enemy spawns.

Because one of the main enemies are slimes, which can spawn during the day, in light, and have a tricky arcing jump. You never get any time to actually build stuff since you're too busy fighting off yet another slime.

It's like if minecraft had all the monsters spawning during the day, with night only being worse. It gets old and tiring pretty quickly. They will have to adjust that, or let players adjust that. At the very least, they need to make the spawn rate lower or higher depending on the number of players connected.

There are the usual folk who are clamoring for even higher spawn rates, but I feel like that's just the kind of people who are gluttons for punishment, or are playing on very high population servers.

That said, if it weren't for how awesome the exploration and adventure aspect is, and knowing some of the cool items you can find by exploring, I might have set this aside. I've already found two magic mirrors that lets me teleport back to my spawn point.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 03:57:12 PM by Turtle » Logged
siege

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2011, 08:17:25 PM »

This is up there with Cave Story as one of the best indie released games. If they tone down the monster spawn rate and continually release content updates, I could see myself getting a lot of play time with it.

Also, it's really nothing like Minecraft at all.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2011, 09:36:45 PM »

Quote from: siege on May 17, 2011, 08:17:25 PM

Are you kidding?  The basic mechanics and concepts seem like an almost direct 2D version of Minecraft.

siege

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2011, 10:34:53 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 17, 2011, 09:36:45 PM

Are you kidding?  The basic mechanics and concepts seem like an almost direct 2D version of Minecraft.

Because you can dig and build a house? Terraria is more of a "game" than Minecraft. There's a lot more to do than just building a fortress or spelling your name out in blocks.

It's more similar to Castlevania or Metroid than it is Minecraft, IMO.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:36:29 PM by siege » Logged
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2011, 10:42:04 PM »

Quote from: siege on May 17, 2011, 10:34:53 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 17, 2011, 09:36:45 PM

Are you kidding?  The basic mechanics and concepts seem like an almost direct 2D version of Minecraft.

Because you can dig and build a house? Terraria is more of a "game" than Minecraft. There's a lot more to do than just building a fortress or spelling your name out in blocks.

It's more similar to Castlevania or Metroid than it is Minecraft, IMO.

This is the second time I've heard someone compare this to a Metroidvania game.  While I think Minecraft is boring and there is no real "game" there, I like the idea of it and if they put those mechanics in a Metroidvania game, that woulc be amazing.  Gonna have to put down some money and check this one out.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2011, 01:29:51 AM »

What game is there here?  From what I played there is no direction or end goal, it is just digging, building, crafting and surviving.  The only comparison to Metroidvania games is that it is a 2D sidescroller.  There is no linear progression, the combat and enemies suck, there are no puzzles or blocked off areas to come back to revisit...

Compared to Minecraft you have the digging to gain the resources that were in that block, crafting out of those resources, building with blocks, exploring a randomized world with no real goal in mind, a day-night cycle, even the same basic components like a pick, sword, crafting table, torches, refining oven, etc.

baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2011, 04:27:39 AM »

No.9,

You clearly have not found the Corruption, fought a boss, or found any awesome magic items.

I agree, there is more "game" to Terraria than in Minecraft. Both have their place though. Minecraft is still the king for being creative, but I can't wait until some Terraria-like elements are included with Minecraft. Simplely building a castle is fun, but building a castle to house a nurse, merchant, and Dryad is better.
Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2011, 10:17:25 PM »

I thought I wouldn't like it all that much, but Steam tells me I've put in more than 10 hours. I.e., it's worth the money. You can go deeeeeeep in this game. The change in environments is nice. On top you get trees, with slimes, zombies and floating eyes for enemies. If you hit a corrupted area, you have to fight creepy flying things and if you're unlucky, huge worms. Corrupted areas are also full of deep thorny chasms that you can explore. If you dig deeper in normal ground, you will find caves and underwater lakes. Go down further and you get lava. Go down even further than that, and you get Hell. Enemies get progressively tougher as you descend. Near the top you face only slimes, but later on these get bigger and might split up into smaller ones if you defeat them. There's also skeletons and small worms that dig through the earth to jump out at you. I haven't dug down to Hell yet, but I get the feeling that if you stack my game character on top of itself a couple hundred times you might finally reach the surface; the maps go that deep.

Just now I found a cluster of three floating islands, each of which contained a chest with cool loot. I got baloons that you can equip to jump higher, a sword that shoots stars wherever you aim it, and a golden horseshoe that negates all falling damage. Guess how I got back down again!  icon_biggrin While Terraria obviously borrows heavily from Minecraft, there's definitely a lot more game to it. I'm sure I'll get bored with it in a couple of days, like what happened with Minecraft, but I'll easily get my money's worth. thumbsup
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2011, 11:33:57 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on May 18, 2011, 04:27:39 AM

No.9,

You clearly have not found the Corruption, fought a boss, or found any awesome magic items.

Nope.  I've put a couple of hours into this now and haven't seen any of those elements to the game.  Which, if I'm making the decision to keep playing or not, the fact that I haven't reached what you might call the cool things yet means that I'm not very likely to keep plodding through the crappy game to get there.

I guess it just comes down to the fact that the basic mechanics don't really hold much interest for me.  Maybe if the combat felt a little better or I felt like I was really exploring a world that would be different, but every time an enemy comes on the screen I just think "Oh god, not another one.  *sigh*".   

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2011, 01:51:42 AM »

One reason I like Terraria is that (for a while at least) you're always heading out looking for more resources and upgrades. Yes, I've hit the 'cap' on easily obtainable goods (Gold), but I know that there's a LOT more out there to get.

EngineNo9 - what map size did you start off with? If you selected Large, you might want to make another world (bringing the same guy you had already) and make a Small map. That way you'll be able to see what the game has to offer without having to go hundreds and hundreds of blocks.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2011, 01:57:58 AM »

I thought I did select Small for my first map, though it could have been Medium.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2011, 07:43:42 AM »

Only choose small for single player really. Medium and Large are just plain big, taking a lot of time to get around. The interesting stuff will be more spread out the larger the map too.

Just set off overland with some supplies and see how far you can get. Maybe pre-make a bed and have enough supplies on you to create a safe room to put the bed in.

Of course, to make a bed, you have to get cobwebs from exploring underground.

Try heading into a cave, or just digging down from where you're at following any cave systems you encounter. You'll start to see why Terraria is a good deal more interesting and dynamic than Minecraft's exploration. I hope Minecraft steals a lot of these ideas from Terraria.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2011, 03:34:54 PM »

I've been shoulder gazing at my son playing this co-op with 5 of his buddies. I've got to say it looks very impressive and fun and that its been tailored well for the co-op experience. I'm almost certain they're playing a big map because their seems to be a lot of content and many locations. I wasn't planning on getting this, but I think when I complete what I'm currently playing I'm jump in.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 03:36:45 PM by kronovan » Logged
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2011, 07:06:44 PM »

I'm having a blast with this one.    Lots of content.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2011, 05:46:02 PM »

I'm interested in any tips you guys come up with.

I've started building Castle Fuzz in the Land of Fuzz on the world of Fuzz in sector Fuzz....it's a Fuzzin Large map size i'm using:)

Tip i'm interested in:

How to know for sure a room is completed to satisfaction that an NPC will move in cause the game considers it a domicile...are there any tricks to completely walling it in with backwall and bricks or if it looks good it'll work?  Just wanna make sure i'm not missing something that aint obvious like not walling far enough even though it looks fully walled.

Any way to actually Drain water? or do you just have to manage it? when you run into it under ground etc...

Things i've done so far that i went "oh, that's how it's done"

Spoiler for Hiden:
At first i built myself a lil building by throwing up wood and a door or 2.  Then i realized you can make "bricks"   Now my outer walls are "bricks".  Have a feeling that's how it was intended to be done...not just throwing down wood and stone piles.

Put a empty pot on a table with torches over it for light and a couple chairs...the pot sprouted a pretty plant, nice.

My mine is getting deep but not finding much copper or iron ore yet. I set off over land and found some small piles of it just lying around to help get started.

I had trouble with bad guys dropping on me when i started digging while on my overland trip, realized i could make a lil cover hut by throwing down wood anywhere i'm fixing to dig and they won't drop on my head and kill me.

anyone interested in running a large multiplayer room for a gamingtrend funfest?
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2011, 08:05:23 PM »

apparently there's a nice wiki: http://wiki.terrariaonline.com/Terraria_Wiki

Answered the questions i had.

I pretty quickly got 3 people to move in now..and no, i havn't cheated and looked at the reqs for the people:P

An demolition guy, a nurse, and a merchant showed up.  Got a 4th room with nobody qualified for it yet.  Rather than level off the land, which is a crap ton of work.  I built sub basement levels into the land etc to get a level platform of stone bricks at a height to start construction of an actual castle at.
Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2011, 08:10:43 PM »

About creating suitable habitats for NPCs: I first make a wall six bricks high and lay out the ceiling next to the highest brick, so that I can still jump on top from ground level. The opposite wall gets a door. Filling out the background wall is then a matter of stacking wall blocks 5 high throughout the entire room. Make sure they overlap horizontally. Add some torches, a table and a chair and voilą, your habitat is ready to accept a new NPC. I like making apartment buildings like this, so that NPCs don't wander around and open the door to my storage room at night.

PROTIP: don't get stuck in a Corruption area during the blood moon. It doesn't just spawn extra zombies.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2011, 12:05:01 AM »

Quote from: Fuzzballx on May 24, 2011, 05:46:02 PM

anyone interested in running a large multiplayer room for a gamingtrend funfest?

I'd be interested in participating in such a funfest! 

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: