http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 03:52:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tell me what you know about Death Jr. & MediEvil (PSP)  (Read 1469 times)
mytocles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2005, 07:00:41 PM »

Impressions, reviews, gameplay, knowledge of others' reviews, anything please! On either an individual game or the comparison thereof...

Thanks!  Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 07:38:06 PM »

I didn't hate DJ as much as everyone else seemed to.

Standard platform stuff although it isn't all that easy to play.
My biggest problem was with the lack of an on-screen map. You get lost a lot in those dark graphics!

Hope that maybe helped a little, but I doubt it!  smile

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 07:56:01 PM »

MediEvil was a pretty good PS1 game. But not very enjoyable after alot of playing time.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 09:38:58 PM »

i'll be trading in death jr (just plain soulless) for medievil this weekend. can't say much about the medievil psp incarnation (tho i didn't get very far into either, the originals were definitely weirdly charming), but it can't be worse than death jr, plus it's narrated by tom 'dr who' baker, which is enough for me smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 10:05:03 PM »

Eurogamer reviewed Medieval Resurrection for the PSP.  They slammed it pretty hard - giving it a 4/10.  

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60448
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 10:40:38 PM »

Pasted from my reply to an OO thread:

"Maybe I have bad taste in console games, but I did not think DJ was bad. I did not have trouble with the camera or controls, although it can get a bit overwhelming with many bad guys on the screen and auto-targeting. Still, it was fun. I am selling my psp, so this sounds like a commercial, but it's not. I would have written this anyway. Then again, I do not have a vast platforming experience, so the game is not a rehash of 20 other games for me. I'm sure if you play this type of game, it's a bit old by now. For me, it was pretty good. "
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 02:58:36 AM »

I only played Medievil one time on the PS1.  I enjoyed it, but I didn't actually have a PS1.  So, to me, the PSP version doesn't really feel like a been there, done that.  I've only played the first level, and while combat is a little bit wonkier than I would like, I still was instantly charmed and will attempt to play through the whole thing.  No guarantees that I will continue to be charmed once I get to levels where the combat is more key.

Death Jr, on the other hand, didn't charm me and I didn't even finish the first level.  I'll be suprised if I get back to it, really.

I should point out that I do love me some platformers, so that effects the opinion on both of them.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 05:04:37 PM »

Medievil is the same game as on the PS1.  I have the game for my PS1 and looking at the list of levels, they're the same.  Same movies, same levels.  I guess I'll enjoy being able to play it on the road, but I was really hoping for something new.  

We're getting some good games for the PSP - Burnout Legends, Virtua Tennis, etc - but they're still just rehashes of prior content right now.  I'm STILL waiting for the first original PSP title that uses that hardware to the best of its ability.

MAME's great on it, though.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 06:46:30 PM »

Any word on MAME for firmware 2.0?

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 07:07:38 PM »

MAME doesnt even fully run on 1.0 or 1.5 at the moment, and nothing homebrew runs on 2.0.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 10:43:25 PM »

update: a couple hours in, & medievil blows death jr out of the water! slicker, prettier, much funnier (tho, truth to tell, that wasn't too difficult) - very nicely done, old game or not, very playable, & the 'save anywhere' rocks...

(oh, yeah - & tom baker's perfect! smile )...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2005, 03:40:26 AM »

(oh, yeah - & tom baker's perfect! Smile )...

He is also the narrator of the BBC import "Little Brittain" to even greater effect.

If you've not seen the show, rent the DVD.  The first episode is hilarious, but then you'll find that the setups are basically the same for each episode (same characters in basically the same situations), but for the most part you won't care, because these guys are just good at what they do.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2005, 09:44:29 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
He is also the narrator of the BBC import "Little Brittain" to even greater effect.

If you've not seen the show, rent the DVD.  The first episode is hilarious, but then you'll find that the setups are basically the same for each episode (same characters in basically the same situations), but for the most part you won't care, because these guys are just good at what they do.

just saw the dvd for the first time - thanks for the info, will rent it when i can...

continue to be impressed with the game (a bit past the first boss) - this is the right way to do a third-person action-adventure on the psp...

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2005, 08:56:05 PM »

Thanks, folks!  looks like Death Jr. isn't for me... I never even noticed that it's a platformer (definitely not my favorite genre).  

Looks like the jury is still out on MediEvil, still looking at that as a possibility.  Like the rest of you, I'm playing about 999 other games, so there's no apparent hurry, lol!   :roll:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 06:36:34 PM »

By the way, I did try Death Jr again, and I didn't hate it as much the second time (though the levels are long and playing all the way through again on a save is very annoying).  Still, Medievil seems to be the better game by a long shot.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2005, 10:12:05 PM »

I didn't hate it as much the second time (though the levels are long and playing all the way through again on a save is very annoying)

It looks like I'll be able to give it a shot (my nephew bought Vinda-Lou's PSP and games, yay!), but with that rousing review, lol, and the fact that I'm not big on platform games, I'll feel good about not spending any money on it!  Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005, 10:57:36 PM »

i've gone on a medievil binge the last couple days, & am really enjoying it. the camera, combat, & platforming are very well done, & the music & graphics (including the numerous little cutscenes) are perfect. it's a shame death jr got all the hype, because medievil's the real deal - a very classy, funny, personality-filled joy-ride...

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2005, 07:58:17 AM »

I'm dragging this old thread back up - because I finally got MediEvil Resurrection - and I'm loving it!  I actually won a contest through Playstation Underground - got Genshi (PS2), ME Resurrection, a coupla tee-shirts (about the only thng I've won in my life, practically).

Anyway, I adore Sir Dan, the droll humor, the graphics, and everything except the touchiness of the analog nub - sometimes it's a little hard to line up correctly, like when trying to read one of the tutorial books.  But,that's really a minor complaint.  I never played the PS1 version, so the PSP game is totally new, refreshing, colorful, humorous, and filled with character.

I give it a major A+!  Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2005, 03:29:10 PM »

:wink:

definitely one of the best 'games no one played' of the year...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: