http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 08:59:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Teen Angst, Japanese Style. The FFXIII Impressions Thread.  (Read 22450 times)
YellowKing
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: April 19, 2010, 06:42:26 PM »

Is there a "point of no return" in which you're not going to be able to go back and do certain mark quests, or are you pretty much free to go back right up to and including the end battle? Just trying to plan whether I want to go ahead and knock them out now or continue on with the plot? For the record, I'm currently in Ch. 11 Oerba.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #561 on: April 19, 2010, 06:47:27 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 19, 2010, 06:42:26 PM

Is there a "point of no return" in which you're not going to be able to go back and do certain mark quests, or are you pretty much free to go back right up to and including the end battle? Just trying to plan whether I want to go ahead and knock them out now or continue on with the plot? For the record, I'm currently in Ch. 11 Oerba.

You can continue with Marks in Ch 11 even after you take down the Ch 11 boss, which opens up a new level of the crystarium and gives you 100k CP. You can also return after beating the story. I'm not clear on if you can do anything in between.

Tonight I face the joy of spending CPs for characters I plan to never use again (Sazh and Snow) as they are about to hit the 999,999 max.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: April 19, 2010, 06:52:30 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 19, 2010, 06:42:26 PM

Events at the end of Chapter 11 will keep you from doing any marks for a while, but you can travel back during Chapter 13 and knock out a few more marks/level grind/etc.  I found it was actually better to do it that way...characters are significantly more powerful and the marks (and random battles) aren't nearly as frustrating.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: April 20, 2010, 01:24:46 AM »

I ended up enjoying Chocobo digging and Mark hunting so much, that I just kept hanging around in Ch. 11 having some restful entertainment time.  I like a challenge, but I also like a break from it - and I took a long one.  I got all the teleports open, did all the Marks from 1 to 34, and finally learned how to Upgrade stuff (kind of anyway) and have just recently set back out to start Ch. 12.

Speaking of Ch. 12 - that was a pretty impressive start to the chapter, very dramatic, exciting, and action-movie-ish.  FF rarely lets gamers down when it's time for a really, really flashy cut scene, and that was one of the best, imo!  Now I want a Cavalry uniform for my avatar though...

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: April 23, 2010, 06:55:10 AM »

Uggh... I came to a screeching halt last night, near the end of Ch. 13 I think it is.  I was facing a Boss:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Barthandalus/ Orphan
and I got my hat handed to me, over and over.  Between the various hat-handings, I researched how others beat him, tried several, and still kept dying at the last minute.

Anyone who has finished that, I'd love it if you could share your strategies on that particular boss.  Btw: 
Spoiler for Hiden:
I was able to kill the first manifestation of the boss, and had the second down to near-death but was suddenly dead for no apparent reason before I could seal the deal.  I have three Cherub crowns maxed - I put two on my lead (Light) and one on my healer (Hope).  I have maxed their Crystarium points, and two have Star weapons, plus Light has an Ultima weapon.  Fang has mega-strength from Accessories, and Hope has an upgraded Bangle that gives him over 1k extra HP

My next strategy is: "Halp, GT!"  I've already searched the 'Net, but nothing from there has worked yet - and I got tired of the "Oh, yeah, well I beat him in ONE minute" juvenile bragging. 

So, basically... again - Halp!

icon_cry

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: April 23, 2010, 03:32:07 PM »

6 hours in, and I am seriously struggling to continue.  I am so bored. 

I have played and loved almost every FF game since 6 (with the exception of 8 and 11, the MMO) and desperately want to find the hidden gem that everyone says is buried deep in 13... but the absolute lack of anything to do in these first 6 hours except watch cut scenes and push 'auto-battle' over and over and over again is killing me.  What the hell was Square thinking?  Why does it take so damn long to let me have any kind of decision making, or strategy, or fun?  The game feels like work to me at this point.  I'm forcing myself to play it, hoping that I'll get to that magical 20 hour point where everyone says it gets fun.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: April 23, 2010, 04:03:18 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on April 23, 2010, 06:55:10 AM

Uggh... I came to a screeching halt last night, near the end of Ch. 13 I think it is.  I was facing a Boss:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Barthandalus/ Orphan
and I got my hat handed to me, over and over.  Between the various hat-handings, I researched how others beat him, tried several, and still kept dying at the last minute.

Anyone who has finished that, I'd love it if you could share your strategies on that particular boss.  Btw: 
Spoiler for Hiden:
I was able to kill the first manifestation of the boss, and had the second down to near-death but was suddenly dead for no apparent reason before I could seal the deal.  I have three Cherub crowns maxed - I put two on my lead (Light) and one on my healer (Hope).  I have maxed their Crystarium points, and two have Star weapons, plus Light has an Ultima weapon.  Fang has mega-strength from Accessories, and Hope has an upgraded Bangle that gives him over 1k extra HP

My next strategy is: "Halp, GT!"  I've already searched the 'Net, but nothing from there has worked yet - and I got tired of the "Oh, yeah, well I beat him in ONE minute" juvenile bragging. 

icon_cry

i'm guessing you simply got screwed (60+% anti-insta-death doesn't equal 100%). it sucks, it's cheap, & i'm not sure there's anything to suggest, strategy-wise, other than 'don't get hit by it' smile . i got whacked by it once, & i just passed on the final boss in smt:sj after having the same thing happen repeatedly:

Spoiler for Hiden:
the first form's the challenge - if you can get past it, the second form should go down very quickly (did for me, anyway). i'm thinking if you manage to get far enough thru the second form, & whip out an eidolon, that might negate getting whacked down the final stretch?...

giving any enemy/boss in any game an insta-death attack that you can't somehow counter or defend against just plain sucks (& always has, tho, as you get older, i think it gets more'n'more enraging smile ). the final boss in bayonetta has an insta-death attack, but you can counter it (well, after you've seen it happen once, anyway smile ). so: nasty, but not on the total crap shoot level of these games...

anyway, maybe i'm completely wrong, but that's what i'd say's going on. good luck...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: April 23, 2010, 04:06:08 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on April 23, 2010, 04:03:18 PM

Quote from: mytocles on April 23, 2010, 06:55:10 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Barthandalus/ Orphan

Spoiler for Hiden:

icon_cry

i'm guessing you simply got screwed (60+% anti-insta-death doesn't equal 100%). it sucks, it's cheap, & i'm not sure there's anything to suggest, strategy-wise, other than 'don't get hit by it' smile . i got whacked by it once, & i just passed on the final boss in smt:sj after having the same thing happen repeatedly:

Spoiler for Hiden:
the first form's the challenge - if you can get past it, the second form should go down very quickly (did for me, anyway). i'm thinking if you manage to get far enough thru the second form, & whip out an eidolon, that might negate getting whacked down the final stretch?...

giving any enemy/boss in any game an insta-death attack that you can't somehow counter or defend against just plain sucks (& always has, tho, as you get older, i think it gets more'n'more enraging smile ). the final boss in bayonetta has an insta-death attack, but you can counter it (well, after you've seen it happen once, anyway smile ). so: nasty, but not on the total crap shoot level of these games...

anyway, maybe i'm completely wrong, but that's what i'd say's going on. good luck...

I put on two of the upgraded Cherub Crowns, and had an anti-insta-death rating of 90% for that final battle.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: April 23, 2010, 04:13:27 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 23, 2010, 04:06:08 PM

I put on two of the upgraded Cherub Crowns, and had an anti-insta-death rating of 90% for that final battle.

same with myto & me - but, as myto's unfortunately discovered, anything under 100% doesn't equal 100%. maybe something else's going on, but that's all i can think...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: April 23, 2010, 07:19:12 PM »

Yeah  Square should be slapped for the chapter 13 boss.   4 tries with the fully upgraded cherub crown and it insta killed my leader every time.  I did not launch my controller into orbit but I sure wanted to!  Its bad enough slogging thru all the negative stautus effects but come on, insta killing at the last minute is just plain cruel.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: April 23, 2010, 07:24:01 PM »

wow, i never got hit with an instant death on that boss. i beat him so damn fast. Just buff/debuff and it'll take about a minute.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: April 23, 2010, 09:15:13 PM »

Then that explains the widely different comments online - some beat the boss no problem, others tried and tried, often simply giving up.  What bothers me so much about it, is that the battles are long, so you beat the first half, get 4/5 of the way through the second and are suddenly Insta-Dead.  With my muscle disorder it is quite painful - I'm quite a sight when I play, all taped and braced together, switching fingers on the A button, reaching left hand over to right side of controller, etc., if it didn't hurt even I would laugh!  Then I finally get to nearly the end of the fight - the Boss is dying, he's almost dead, I see the light at the end of the tunnel, I See It!  Then... it's me who's dead.

I forced myself to keep trying different things, convinced each time that was the answer.  Then... dead again.  I must be an eternal optimist (or as dumb as a post) though, because reading your replies has got me all psyched to go try it again.  saywhat

Semi, I did do what you suggested in your spoiler, but I did it early on and it barely dented the Boss; I'm going to try it again, waiting as long as I dare before I pull that ripcord.  I think I will also do something I saw in a forum, but didn't want to do, lol - make nine maxed Cherub Crowns... sheesh.

Thanks everyone, the glass is once again half-full, I'm going to give it another go!

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: April 23, 2010, 10:41:20 PM »

I think I had an easy time with the game because I focused on HP for everyone.  I never bothered with resist accessories or upgrading weapons except for the first tier.  That boss couldn't one shot any of my guys.  He would get them really low in one shot but there is enough time to heal up.  I have no idea what a cherub crown is.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: April 24, 2010, 12:25:15 AM »

Quote from: skystride on April 23, 2010, 10:41:20 PM

I think I had an easy time with the game because I focused on HP for everyone.  I never bothered with resist accessories or upgrading weapons except for the first tier.  That boss couldn't one shot any of my guys.  He would get them really low in one shot but there is enough time to heal up.  I have no idea what a cherub crown is.

you're not paying attention smile . that boss could one-shot any of your guys - that's what an insta-death attack is. he/it has one, & it has nothing to do with how many hit points your characters have - if it hits (& it's random whether it does or doesn't), the character it hits is dead. in your case, he either didn't use it, or didn't hit you or yours with it if he did...

so consider yourself lucky (as opposed to skilled smile )...

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: April 24, 2010, 12:47:57 AM »

Quote from: skystride on April 23, 2010, 10:41:20 PM

Semi, it took me so long to write my post that you beat me to it.  This is what I was saying, nowhere near as concisely as you did, lol:

I don't think I can focus on HP any more than I have - the Crystarium on all my characters is maxed for HP, magic, everything, in the jobs I opened for them.  I like to farm and craft so I ended up getting loads of CP.  There were several times in the Boss fight when my party avoided a huge one-shot (but, apparently not Insta-Death exactly).  They just ended up very low on HP and had to heal up - but other times, they'd be full HP and die anyway.

The Cherub Crown raises your resistance to Death, and they stack, though there is some kind of diminishing returns when you stack them (thanks Squeenix!)   I'm going to try 3 on my main first, and see what happens; I think I can get the Resist Death to maybe 70-80% with three.  Nothing else he does kills me, so maybe that will work.  

Oh, well, I'm going to fire up the 360 now and get back into the fray - I'm tenacious if nothing else!   icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 12:50:38 AM by mytocles » Logged

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: April 24, 2010, 12:52:02 AM »

Quote from: mytocles on April 23, 2010, 09:15:13 PM

Semi, I did do what you suggested in your spoiler, but I did it early on and it barely dented the Boss; I'm going to try it again, waiting as long as I dare before I pull that ripcord...

yeah, it's all about timing, & jersoc's right, speed - the faster /more effectively you can hammer it, the fewer opportunities it gets... oh, yeah, & lots of positive thinking! (tho, like i said, none of this worked for me with smt:sj smile )...

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 24, 2010, 02:28:18 AM »

Oh resist death, I saw that in my inventory but never equipped any.  I must be very lucky, never had much death in the whole game.  I might have used 1 or 2 phoenix down max.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 24, 2010, 02:33:42 AM »

I wish I'd have kept my guide, as I followed the strategy it outlined and took him down with little problem.  Unfortunately I sold it along with the game.  I'm sure someone else here has it and can fill you in.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 24, 2010, 03:24:16 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on April 24, 2010, 12:52:02 AM

Quote from: mytocles on April 23, 2010, 09:15:13 PM

Semi, I did do what you suggested in your spoiler, but I did it early on and it barely dented the Boss; I'm going to try it again, waiting as long as I dare before I pull that ripcord...

yeah, it's all about timing, & jersoc's right, speed - the faster /more effectively you can hammer it, the fewer opportunities it gets... oh, yeah, & lots of positive thinking! (tho, like i said, none of this worked for me with smt:sj smile )...

When I got the 2nd boss down to about 1/6 or 1/8 HP, I pulled out Odin.  He got hit almost immediately by the giant sword, I got maybe one hit off and suddenly all my HP was back, which was bad news of course.  And there didn't appear to be even a sliver more of the boss's HP gone.

Before I started the battle though:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I had found that there were upgraded forms of the Cherub's Crown - Seraph's Crown - so I made some of them and Light had two of those plus a Cherub Crown (something like 80% Death Resistance.)  I put two Cherub Crowns on Hope - and an Adamantine Bangle which gave him 1400 more HP, and Fang had two Cherubs and a Power thingie.  And I barely scraped through, lol.

BUT - I did finally do it!

Spoiler for Hiden:
Several times I just barely got back into Combat Clinic after one of those Merciless Judgment whacks, but I kept scraping along.  The first fight I only three-starred, and the next one took me 15 minutes instead of the 8 that was called for.  I tried counting the M-Judgment attacks, but lost track after 8... There was another surprise as well:  I didn't know there was a third battle!  I was hoping it was a "gimme" fight, because there had been no chance to save the game yet.  It was, thank goodness.  All I could think of was power bumps or freezing game screens...   ninja

Gratch, as embarrassing as this is to admit... I have the guide.  icon_redface   I tried following it's advice after failing twice already, and I failed three more times, so I gave up on it.  But I appreciate the thought!

Thanks for all the help everyone, I couldn't have done it without y'all!

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 24, 2010, 04:16:35 AM »

Quote from: mytocles on April 24, 2010, 03:24:16 AM

congrats!... cherub's crown, seraph's crown - had i remembered the difference, i would've mentioned it, so sorry about that (i'd upgraded to seraph's crown, too)...

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 24, 2010, 06:47:24 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on April 24, 2010, 04:16:35 AM

Quote from: mytocles on April 24, 2010, 03:24:16 AM

congrats!... cherub's crown, seraph's crown - had i remembered the difference, i would've mentioned it, so sorry about that (i'd upgraded to seraph's crown, too)...

Thanks, bud!  I doubt I would've made the Seraphim's Crowns either, in the first several Boss runs anyway.  I'm like the donkey in Shrek... except I don't consist of layers - I have to add them, a bit at a time.  (The playing all night and trying just one more time,) and that one last run was not the brightest way to approach it... so the day off and especially the GT help really saved the day.  And not for the first time either!   nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: April 24, 2010, 12:24:28 PM »

Congrats, mytocles!

I'm in Chapter 13 and decided to go back and try to do as many Mark quests as possible before trying to finish. I've done 1-33 so far. All my characters are maxed out on their main roles, so I'm mowing things down pretty easily.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 24, 2010, 01:24:54 PM »

Nice work Myto!  smile

For those who have finished, what did you think of the ending?  I personally thought it was fantastic, but have read lots of feedback from other boards that people just hated it.  Wonder if I'm in the minority.

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 24, 2010, 02:03:56 PM »

Congrats Myto!

The funny thing is that I was using crowns and still getting killed by the Death spell, so I took them off and went back to my RAV/COM boosts and went all out.
That did the trick for me, or maybe I just got lucky.  icon_wink

I didn't have an issue with the ending. The story seemed to be heading to that conclusion anyways.
I viewed it as another take on the circle of life. /shrug

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 24, 2010, 02:36:36 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on April 24, 2010, 02:03:56 PM

I didn't have an issue with the ending. The story seemed to be heading to that conclusion anyways.
I viewed it as another take on the circle of life. /shrug

yep. for me, the story & ending were of a piece (& i'd guess conceived that way from the start) - if you liked one, you likely liked the other. for me, much like ffx, it hasn't retained some of the force it had for me while playing it in quite the way that my favorite ffs have (iv, vii, & ix), but that's probably got as much to do with my memories of the party members as anything - i guess i'd say it was all very well-told, tho not truly exceptional to begin with? smile ......

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: April 25, 2010, 03:44:24 AM »

Wow! Somehow I beat it on my first try!

Spoiler for Hiden:
All my "grinding" must have paid off, as I didn't even have to use any Cherub Crowns. Apparently I had just enough HP to withstand Mr. Insta-Death's attacks, so it was just a matter of making sure I healed up before and after he used the instant KO. There was probably a little luck involved as well.

I didn't really have much problem at all with the other bosses - after doing 35 Mark quests and one pass through of the Titan trial, I was pretty well prepared for whatever they could throw at me.

While I have played most of the Final Fantasy games, this is the first one I've finished since Final Fantasy VII. Overall I think it was a solid, but not great, entry into the series. Had a lot of fun along the way, however, and don't regret the 60 hours I clocked on it.

It is a relief to have it behind me - aside from a couple of casual PC titles this game has been my sole focus for weeks now. It will be good to get a break and maybe go back and catch up on some backlog titles.....at least until Red Dead Redemption comes out.  icon_biggrin
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: April 25, 2010, 11:33:36 PM »

First off,  I really enjoyed FF13.  Since I havent been a PS person, I havent played a Final Fantasy game in a very long time.  The quality of the graphics, music and combat system were top notch all the way.  I did miss the towns and villages and the open world feel of previous FF games but it wasnt nearly as big a deal as I was afraid it would be.  I found the combat system to be a blast.  I had a lot of fun trying out various parties and combinations and while most groups worked well, it seemed that the Lightning, Fang and Hope combo was overall the best.  Was this the best FF evar?  Nope but it was worthy of the FF name and a lot of fun to play.
  Now to the final fight.  This has got to be the silliest thing ever.  You put a final boss in with a random instakill.  Ok, you do have items to help offset this but heres where it gets silly.  I tried 4 times to beat the jerk and my leader got insta killed all 4 times, usually when the boss was near death. And yes I had Seraph crowns equipped.  Very annoying!  So annoying in fact that I put the game away for 4 days.  I came back to it today with new resolve.  I decided to try to power him down on my 1st try today and unequipped my seraph crowns and went with extra power accessories.  Of course I never died, and I 4 starred him.  So to recap, I got insta killed 4 times while wearing anti death protection but I gank him with ease once I remove it.  The very concept makes my head hurt.  Anyways,  I didnt let that bit of weirdness ruin the game for me.  FF 13 was definitely one of the best games released this year even with its quirks.  I hope this isnt the last solo player final fantasy we see.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 27, 2010, 06:49:26 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on April 25, 2010, 11:33:36 PM

First off,  I really enjoyed FF13.  Since I havent been a PS person, I havent played a Final Fantasy game in a very long time.  The quality of the graphics, music and combat system were top notch all the way.  I did miss the towns and villages and the open world feel of previous FF games but it wasnt nearly as big a deal as I was afraid it would be.  I found the combat system to be a blast.  I had a lot of fun trying out various parties and combinations and while most groups worked well, it seemed that the Lightning, Fang and Hope combo was overall the best.  Was this the best FF evar?  Nope but it was worthy of the FF name and a lot of fun to play.
  Now to the final fight.  This has got to be the silliest thing ever.  You put a final boss in with a random instakill.  Ok, you do have items to help offset this but heres where it gets silly.  I tried 4 times to beat the jerk and my leader got insta killed all 4 times, usually when the boss was near death. And yes I had Seraph crowns equipped.  Very annoying!  So annoying in fact that I put the game away for 4 days.  I came back to it today with new resolve.  I decided to try to power him down on my 1st try today and unequipped my seraph crowns and went with extra power accessories.  Of course I never died, and I 4 starred him.  So to recap, I got insta killed 4 times while wearing anti death protection but I gank him with ease once I remove it.  The very concept makes my head hurt.  Anyways,  I didnt let that bit of weirdness ruin the game for me.  FF 13 was definitely one of the best games released this year even with its quirks.  I hope this isnt the last solo player final fantasy we see.

Agreed, agreed, and... agreed!

I'm still loving the game, despite the usual ridiculous Squeenix road bumps (damn but I hate them, damn but I love them!   disgust )  I'll be negotiating around them until I max all characters out and if I still can't beat the Gigantuar, or the Neochu, then so be it.  But I really want to beat an Adamantoise before I cave... though time will tell on that.  Wish me luck, lol!  Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 27, 2010, 06:56:58 PM »

you can cheese all those fights with death heh
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: April 27, 2010, 07:14:37 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on April 27, 2010, 06:56:58 PM

you can cheese all those fights with death heh

Jers, you don't know who you are dealing with here!  I finally learned - out of necessity - how to use Army of One... so now I know how to use Death (and I'm not even 200 hours into the game!)  Unfortunately, I already tried it with Neochu and it didn't dent him, so I only ended up dying myself.  I know it's one of those random kinda things, so I kept trying, but gave up, figuring I'll go back later.

Yes, I am that pitiful, but - like I said before, I am tenacious, lmao.

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 11, 2010, 05:26:28 AM »

I just finished Chapter 5 after having to put the game down for a few months (real life sucks sometimes!). Man, I really love this game, especially the combat system. I'm sure it's been talked to death by now (I haven't goner through the thread for fear of spoilers), but I'm finally at the point where I'm beginning to understand all the possibilities of the combat system. The combat system really feels like a weird mashup of FFXII's gambit system and FFX-2's job system.

I'm not really seeing any of the negatives either. I find the dungeons to be interesting, and don't really feel like it's just going from one corridor to the next. I did take Kevin's advice from early in this thread to turn off the auto map. I really disliked having that big arrow pointing "this way to the boss fight."

I have a friend who's finished the game and is determined to get all the trophies. He's already put in over 110 hours into thie game (he beat the final boss around the 60 hour mark), so I'm hopeful that's a sign that the game stays interesting all the way through. Hope everyone who's finished it enjoyed it!
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 11, 2010, 08:30:12 PM »

I finished it awhile ago but Im still occasionally plugging away at maxxing out my characters. There are some really nasty critters out there I have yet to smack down and I plan to advance enough  so I eventually can.  Im not palying it in major marathon sessions but Ill put in an hour here and an hour there.  Of course with Red Dead Redemption hitting soon, FF13 will be put on hold for a bit.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: May 11, 2010, 09:03:53 PM »

The post-game stuff held very little interest for me, but I've never been concerned about Achievements/Trophies or 100% completion.  Without any real story to advance, there's no reason to keep playing, IMHO.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 02:53:13 PM by Gratch » Logged

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: May 12, 2010, 02:37:31 PM »

I'm more a game-play oriented person; for me, it's the main course and the storyline is gravy.  I didn't think I was going to continue playing after the credits, though, because there didn't seem to be much point.  I plunked around a little, kinda bored - then I thought I'd see if I could kill an Adamantoise... then I thought I'd see if I could finish the side-quests... then make one of the ultimate weapons...

So, here I am still, lol.  I can beat Adamantoises and Adamantortoises, have made a Kain's Lance, a Nirvana, and an Ultima, and killed the Gigantuar in one of the three quests I hadn't finished.

I keep telling myself "a couple more days, a couple more days," but I know I'll try really hard to finish those last two quests, so I'm screwed.  I'm sure I have Anti-Backlog genes or something.   saywhat

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: May 12, 2010, 06:58:19 PM »

Nice! Great job. Those are tough beasts and some heavy equipment.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: May 13, 2010, 02:32:46 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on May 12, 2010, 06:58:19 PM

Nice! Great job. Those are tough beasts and some heavy equipment.

Ha ha, thanks D-Inc!  I'm not a great player, so I need the heavy equipment, or the tough beasts wouldn't even be possible.  I'm still only about %50 on beating them, but it's a nice change from farming Sacrifices in the Cradle, so I go back to them when I can no longer stand the others.

I don't know what it is about Squeenix and me, but it's definitely a love/ hate relationship.  They provide everything I need to get hooked on a game - but, at a difficulty level that is just barely what I can manage.  I'm not even a Final Fantasy addict, per se.  It wasn't until FFXI which started the whole thing, next was FFXII, and no - inevitable - FFXIII.  FFXIV is already beckoning me, sigh...

Oh, well, there are far worse things to be addicted to than video games!  There are, right?  Right?  ninja

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #596 on: May 13, 2010, 03:35:17 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on May 11, 2010, 05:26:28 AM

I have a friend who's finished the game and is determined to get all the trophies. He's already put in over 110 hours into thie game (he beat the final boss around the 60 hour mark), so I'm hopeful that's a sign that the game stays interesting all the way through. Hope everyone who's finished it enjoyed it!

Just like FFXII, I got to 40 hours (and midway through the last chapter) and strayed. I've given it a couple weeks to see if the urge to play returns, it hasn't so off to goozex it goes. 40 hours is pretty good value for $4 out of pocket.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 14, 2010, 05:30:26 PM »

I finally returned to the game after being stuck on
Spoiler for Hiden:
Bahamat

I decided to look up the strategy and it turns out I was just ignorant, it never occurred to me to use the Libra technique more than once on an enemy to get a full reading so I wasn't doing what needed to be done to build the Gestalt gauge.

Anyhow, I'm back on track and ready to beat this sucker.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 05:32:08 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: May 17, 2010, 08:24:43 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 14, 2010, 05:30:26 PM

I finally returned to the game after being stuck on
Spoiler for Hiden:
Bahamat

I decided to look up the strategy and it turns out I was just ignorant, it never occurred to me to use the Libra technique more than once on an enemy to get a full reading so I wasn't doing what needed to be done to build the Gestalt gauge.

Anyhow, I'm back on track and ready to beat this sucker.

Yeah, the strategy is so important on these bosses - I've spent many hours trying to figure one out myself, only to cave and look it up.  That's when you find out how exact the strategy must be on some of them. 

I haven't looked him up yet, but I can already tell that the final Mission boss, Vercingetorix, is one of those.  I'm getting there, but the fights last so long when you are close to the correct strategy, that it gets wearying trying to experiment to figure it out.  At this point in the game, I'll be looking up the strategy if I can't hit on it myself, very soon. Well, maybe just one more try...

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: May 18, 2010, 05:24:44 PM »

Uggh...

Mission 64...

I can get the boss down to about 1/5 to 1/4 health, but I miss one paradigm shift toward the end and I'm dead.  Again and again and again.

I'll be taking a mental health break from it (Monster Hunter, ftw,) so there's no rush, but if anyone here has beaten Vercingetorix, could you share your strategy with me?  I've tried figuring it out myself, then I looked him up in the Guide, then on the 'Net, and still no luck.  63 Missions completed out of 64 - have I ever mentioned I hate Sqeenix?   disgust

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: