http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 06:02:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Teen Angst, Japanese Style. The FFXIII Impressions Thread.  (Read 21246 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: April 09, 2010, 08:22:32 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on April 09, 2010, 07:47:04 PM

Quote from: jersoc on April 09, 2010, 06:30:15 AM

Quote from: rshetts2 on April 09, 2010, 01:52:01 AM

and for you CP grinders I found the best spot in the game.  you can get 6600cp in under 30 seconds and it respawns quickly with just a short walk away from the spawn point.   
Spoiler for Hiden:
If you use Cocoon in the sky for a reference point and call it North, in the steppes in Gran Pulse theres a spot to the NE, just before the path to Mah'Habara.  At this spot theres a Behemoth King and a Magawhatever fighting each other. You will always get pre emptive strike entering the fight. Also the beasts are at 1/2 hp when you engage them.  You must target and kill the Behemoth immediately as he form shifts and heals rather quickly, the Mag is a wussy and drops easily once the King is down.  I use a 3 rav paradigm and always finish it in 30 sec or less.   At the top of the path leading to thes guys is a save point, just run a bit past the save point and the fight respawns.  Easy CP

this has been mentioned like 5 times already Tongue

Just trying to help.  Actually, Ive been playing the game without a guide and have tried to avoid reading alot of spoilers, so I missed where this has been mentioned.  Also I figured since there are people like me who are not as far into the game as the powergamers, Id share what I had found to be a major help.  Ill just apologize in advance in case I post any further info in the future that may have been mentioned prior to my post as I still plan on avoiding the major spoilers in this thread.

I appreciate it, as I apparently missed the "5 times" it had been mentioned as well.  Am planning on heading back to Gran Pulse shortly, and this info will be helpful.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 09, 2010, 08:24:08 PM »

Don't worry about it rshetts; I've been reading this thread for some time and totally missed the previous 5-6 mentions smile

I just started Chapter 10. I beat the Chapter 9 boss handily on the first try. He took forever but he wasn't too hard. I haven't done any grinding, but I will kill every enemy in an area to get to every treasure sphere so that has provided some unintentional grind that has allowed me to keep my roles mostly maxed.

Is there any good way to tell what weapon you should be using? Since a Level 1 weapon is almost always going to be significantly lower attribute-wise to one that you've upgraded slightly, how do you know to switch off? Just going by passive abilities? I guess the only reason I'd really love a guide is to be able to see how weapons are tiered. So far I've been hesitant to switch from my starter weapons just because they're upgraded just enough to make the attribute hit of starting over with a Level 1 seem not worth it.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 09, 2010, 09:54:52 PM »

I've been comparing level 1 stats to get an idea of how the weapon will balance strength/magic wise, and by reading the description. 
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 09, 2010, 10:54:48 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on April 09, 2010, 07:47:04 PM

Also I figured since there are people like me who are not as far into the game as the powergamers, Id share what I had found to be a major help.

i've been called many things, but this's the first time someone's ever described me as a powergamer smile ...

i'd also suggest, since you've made it as far as pulse, that reading some of the earlier stuff up here would only be helpful, & wouldn't hurt - everything's been spoilered pretty well, & there's some great advice for stuff like upgrading. just saying...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 10, 2010, 02:48:22 AM »

Chapter 12 boss just went down in under 8 minutes, and I don't think any of my characters ever dipped below 50% health the entire battle.  Since I'd heard feedback of that fight taking 20+ minutes for some people, I was pretty happy with my result.  Jumped back to Gran Pulse, and took down that damn #7 mark as well, and now have an upgraded Axis Blade.   Aw yeah.  Cool  I'm wondering if I did my math right, as by my count, the final upgrade for this weapon requires over 400,000 XP.  Can that be right?

On a side note, it's kinda fun running around Gran Pulse taking down mobs that were a struggle just a few hours ago.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 10, 2010, 06:33:46 AM »

no, to get your weapon to max it's over 1 million xp. well according to the guide. 400k is about what's needed for the 2nd tier. it's like 50k>500k>1.4mill or something
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 10, 2010, 07:09:59 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on April 09, 2010, 06:30:15 AM

Quote from: rshetts2 on April 09, 2010, 01:52:01 AM

and for you CP grinders I found the best spot in the game.  you can get 6600cp in under 30 seconds and it respawns quickly with just a short walk away from the spawn point.   
Spoiler for Hiden:
If you use Cocoon in the sky for a reference point and call it North, in the steppes in Gran Pulse theres a spot to the NE, just before the path to Mah'Habara.  At this spot theres a Behemoth King and a Magawhatever fighting each other. You will always get pre emptive strike entering the fight. Also the beasts are at 1/2 hp when you engage them.  You must target and kill the Behemoth immediately as he form shifts and heals rather quickly, the Mag is a wussy and drops easily once the King is down.  I use a 3 rav paradigm and always finish it in 30 sec or less.   At the top of the path leading to thes guys is a save point, just run a bit past the save point and the fight respawns.  Easy CP

this has been mentioned like 5 times already Tongue

I agree - that is not a Bad Thing.  I find I'm getting less patient with grinding, though I generally need to do it in every RPG, so I'll be checking this one out (yeah, I missed or forgot the previous mentions of it too.)  Before seeing that tip, I was grinding last night in a pretty good area, but I was getting bored with it, so a change of locale and mob will be much appreciated.  

Quote by semiconscious:
i'd also suggest, since you've made it as far as pulse, that reading some of the earlier stuff up here would only be helpful, & wouldn't hurt - everything's been spoilered pretty well, & there's some great advice for stuff like upgrading. just saying...

Of course, that reminds me that I've been wanting to go back to page 1 here and reread everything, since I don't remember the first read-through; there must be lots of helpful bits that a re-reading would supply.  Good advice!

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 10, 2010, 07:21:45 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on April 10, 2010, 06:33:46 AM

no, to get your weapon to max it's over 1 million xp. well according to the guide. 400k is about what's needed for the 2nd tier. it's like 50k>500k>1.4mill or something

This is incorrect. I have posted this in my previous posts. The guide does list what you stated, but it wasn't even close.

Most of my Tier One weapons took close to 60 to 70K, the Tier 2 weapons took 225k. I don't know about Tier 3 as I haven't attempted it.
I could go back in and calculate what it would be, but I am playing other titles now. Maybe I will do this some day.

I upgraded six Tier One weapons to star and three to Tier 2 star, and it was almost the same each time.

They don't start over at Level 1 when you use the catalyst. (see some of my past posts), but they do drop in level a bit. Overall the stats will be impressive comparatively.
When I used the catalyst on Hope's Vidofnir it went from Tier One, level 21 (star) to a Tier Two, level 16 Hresvelgr. (Results may slightly vary due to the hidden Rank attribute of the catalyst you used)

Also, the attributes do not change from tier to tier. So each weapon belongs to a Synthesis group, each weapon has base stats that grow in the same manner, and some have special properties that enhance something, but sacrifice damage to do so.
If you like a weapon at Tier One then you will like it moving forward.  Upgrading to the next tier changes the name, but everything else about the weapon stays the same, it just gets enhanced.
Some weapons have significant damage, but they are very slow (ATB speed)

For example Hope can use a weapon called Vidofnir that has a special attribute called "Defense Maintenance" which makes buffs last longer.
This weapon changes to Hresvelgr at Tier 2 and now has "Defense Maintenance II" as its special attribute. This attribute is part of the Positive Effect Synthesis group. So coupling this with an accy from the same group will enhance this attribute.
Watchman's Amulet or Shrouding Talisman are examples.

Even w/o the guide or knowing the group names you can determine this by scrolling through the accessories you have. On the right you will see a double circle (a circle on top of a circle with a bonus next to it)
This signifies a Synthesis bonus from pairing equipped items.

The interesting thing is that at Tier 3 the Synthesis group changes to "Independent" so I am not sure how this impacts the groups. Also, some attributes will change their name from Tier One to Tier Two, but the effect is practically the same.

Some weapons also have higher Magic damage than Strength/Phys damage. This is important to match up to the main role the character will be playing.
COM chars would benefit by using weapons/accy with more Strength.
RAV chars would benefit by using weapons/accy with more Magic.

So when I looked at the available weapons for Hope the Vidofnir/Hresvelgr made the most sense to me. It has close to three times the Magic stat than Strength/Phys and I get a bonus to buff duration.
Since his main roles will be RAV, MED, SYN he really doesn't need Strength/Phys and longer buffs means more time for him in RAV mode.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 08:33:20 PM by DamageInc » Logged

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 10, 2010, 07:38:56 PM »

Quote from: skystride on April 09, 2010, 07:29:10 PM

Unless I imagined it, I had a 60+ mission ranked C.  And it was probably against a mob that eats meat AT-ATs for breakfast.  I can't even beat the largest AT-AT yet.  This is during Ch 13 btw (I went back).

I'm not sure since there are a few level "B" and "C" I have yet to do. I fought every single NPC except for the Adamantoise in Chapter 11 (Well I attempted it, but the entire party got one-shotted) and was able to defeat them.
I think you are refererring to the Dino Tortoises (AT-AT) called some form of Adaman/Gui

Some of these variants are feasible while most, even with all three main roles maxed, will be very tough if not impossible to defeat. My belief is that they require all six roles to be maxed and Tier Three weapons/accy and a whole lot of patience.
The Adamanchelid is a variant that can be felled during the story and the Steppe.

This is why I shelved the game for now. I beat the main game, and over half the Marks, but I am not willing to grind away at this point to get where I need to be to takes these on.
It is almost another game entirely just to do this. It's just not worth it to me, when I can play so many other titles out there. /shrug
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 07:40:52 PM by DamageInc » Logged

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 10, 2010, 08:37:36 PM »

I think you're tier2 is WAY, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off. I have pumped so many xp into lightenings and only at lvl 60 somethign tier2. this is way more than 225k
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 10, 2010, 09:39:30 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on April 10, 2010, 07:21:45 PM

Most of my Tier One weapons took close to 60 to 70K, the Tier 2 weapons took 225k. I don't know about Tier 3 as I haven't attempted it.

I think that's a little low, at least for Lightning's Axis Blade.  Tier 2 starts at level 22 (5925 XP) then has an increment of 225 with Tier 3 hitting at level 41.  If my math is correct, that's 427,425 required to hit Tier 3, which is the top tier for that weapon.

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 10, 2010, 11:38:24 PM »

If the weapon has to be leveled to 61 then more EXP would be needed.

The ones I leveled all went to level 41 at star.
The one example I listed previously in my posts for Hope was 225 K

Gratch's example would be:

5925 x 19 = 112575
225 compounding itself 18 times would be = 38475

Total EXP needed = 151050

From my post on page 9

Well, I just leveled Lightning's Lionheart to a Star for tier 2. The weapon is now called an Ultima.
It is level 41 at star and has 213/213 stats.

The guide says it takes about 450,000 EXP, but it only took roughly 225,000.

The Scarletite Catalyst turned my Star Lionheart into a level 15 Ultima.

To simplify this for folks that may level the same weapon here is what I did.

Go to the shop and buy Sturdy Bones from Creature Comforts (I bought 60)
Go to Upgrade

Click upgrade weapon and select the weapon in this case my Star level Lionheart

Select Scarletite from components list and only add 1 (Scarletite can be farmed off of Sacrifices at the end of Chapter 12 using the Catalogue Accessory)
NOTE: I was able to get 8 Scarletites in two quick farming runs between the final boss and the save point. (They cost 100K each if you were to buy them at the Motherlode Store and well worth the few minutes spent)

A confirmation will come up and choose yes to add the catalyst. This converts the weapon into a Tier 2 weapon called Ultima (Mine was level 15 with 83/83 stats) (This will vary depending on what Rank the catalyst was that you used)
(The Rank is hidden so don't worry about it other than you may have a different ending level for the Ultima than I did)

Click on Sturdy Bones and use the d-pad to increment it to 36
You will get a message that your weapon received 324 EXP and the multipier is 200% (x3)

I had two Ultracompact Reactors in inventory which have the highest EXP of all components.
2 of them with the 3x mulitiplier granted me 192000 EXP which brought the weapon to level 38

I added another 15 Sturdy Bones (may have needed slighlty less, but to save time I just added 15) to get back to the 3x multiplier

I then used 3 Particle Accelerators which gave me 32400 EXP and leveled it to Star (level 41)

If you know the starting increment to your level 61 Tier 2 weapon and the starting total EXP needed to get to the first Tier 2 level I could tell you how much EXP you need.
Using Gratch's example the 40 levels (guestimate) needed to get to 61 would be:

5925 x 40 = 237000
225 compounded 39 times = 175500

Total = 412500 EXP
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 11:58:16 PM by DamageInc » Logged

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 11, 2010, 05:06:06 AM »

Aaaaaaand, I'm done.  Final boss just fell and the credits rolled after 63.5 hours.    smile  It's probably just about the right time, as I was getting a little tired of the end-game grind.  Fantastic ending, of course.  Every company needs to look at Squeenix games for stellar examples on how to wrap things up.  I know it's stupid, but I always find myself a little sad when I finish one of these huge, epic Final Fantasy games.  I spent so much time enjoying this amazing world they've created, and leaving it (especially on the ending note this one does) is somewhat bittersweet.

Overall, I'd give FF XIII an A-, with my only real complaint being that after spending so many hours with such a tight, well-told story, I thought it lost a ton of momentum once the world opened up in Chapter 11.  I also wish the characters would have been balanced a little better, as I ended up using Light, Fang, and Hope solely for the last 25-30 hours because they were, by far, the most effective group.  Kinda made me forget about the other characters, which is part of the reason why I wasn't nearly as interested in the story.  That said, I really enjoyed the new direction they took both with combat and story, and applaud them for trying something new and different.  For the most part, it was a huge success in my book.

Out of curiosity, how do you go back and access the post-game stuff?  I saved after the credits rolled, but when I load that save, it puts me right outside the final boss fight area.  There's no way to go back, and entering the final area triggers the battle all over again.  Not that I'm likely to spend much time doing the high-level stuff...mostly just wondering if that's a bug or not.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 05:12:59 AM by Gratch » Logged

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 11, 2010, 11:31:51 AM »

Is Lionheart the weapon of choice for Light?  Ive been rolling with the axis blade for the ATB bonus'  Ive upgraded it to the 2nd star level at this point.    Oh and it seems that youre not in the minority on the party choices Gratch.  Hope, Fang and Light seem to work the best, tho I do want to test out Vanilles death ability sometime.  Im pretty close to the end myself now.  Ill also agree with you on the open world bit.  You spent so much time being pushed through a tight, linear game, it did seem to lose focus once it opened up.  It seemed the open world was basically a large grind area to get you prepped for the end game with no real story.  I really think they could have done better with that, it was a bit disjointed after 20 plus hours of being squeezed through a tube.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 11, 2010, 12:50:23 PM »

Yeah, I'm really disappointed in Chapter 11. It's so big that it basically forces you into one gigantic grind session trying to run around for hours trying to find the stupid mark quests. I'm about to resort to looking up a guide so I'm not wasting so much time with exploration and having to stop and fight every 5 minutes. I finally shut the game off in frustration last night after spending some 3 hours running around looking for the next quest with no luck.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: April 11, 2010, 02:53:06 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on April 11, 2010, 11:31:51 AM

Is Lionheart the weapon of choice for Light?  Ive been rolling with the axis blade for the ATB bonus'  Ive upgraded it to the 2nd star level at this point.  

I used an upgraded Axis Blade (upgraded to 2nd tier, anyways) for the ATB bonus as well.  Seemed to make sense.

Yeah, I'm really disappointed in Chapter 11. It's so big that it basically forces you into one gigantic grind session trying to run around for hours trying to find the stupid mark quests. I'm about to resort to looking up a guide so I'm not wasting so much time with exploration and having to stop and fight every 5 minutes. I finally shut the game off in frustration last night after spending some 3 hours running around looking for the next quest with no luck.

Totally agree.  It can be a real bitch to find your way around Gran Pulse, and the shoddy map system doesn't help.  I ended up using a guide to find a couple of the marks, mainly because I never would have tracked them down on my own.  If it's any consolation, I only ended up doing about 10 so of the optional marks and beat the game no problem.  Don't spend a ton of time finding them if you're getting frustrated...you can always come back to them later when you're far more powerful and the battles aren't nearly as long or difficult.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 11, 2010, 03:02:23 PM »

i can't disagree more about pulse - i thought it was gorgeous, mapped out every bit of it, loved the quests (& the return of chocobo hot'n'cold), & enjoyed honing my combat skills. reminded me of the ffxii hunts, which also sucked me right in to the point of not progressing the story because i was just having so much fun smile ...

Quote from: Gratch on April 11, 2010, 05:06:06 AM

Out of curiosity, how do you go back and access the post-game stuff?  I saved after the credits rolled, but when I load that save, it puts me right outside the final boss fight area.  There's no way to go back, and entering the final area triggers the battle all over again.  Not that I'm likely to spend much time doing the high-level stuff...mostly just wondering if that's a bug or not.

some one here's said you just turn around & go back (haven't tried it myself)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 11, 2010, 04:43:07 PM »

If it's any consolation, I only ended up doing about 10 so of the optional marks and beat the game no problem.

That's good to hear. And I probably sounded more bitter than I actually am in that post; I'm still enjoying running around Gran Pulse and because I know I need the levels the grind hasn't been as painful as I made out. But the map system really sucks (hard to tell if you truly explored an area or the map is just fading out at the edges), and the lack of waypoints to the marks is a poor omission.

If I knew where I was going and could thus pick and choose my battles, I'd have a completely different attitude. I think I'll run around and do marks until I max everybody's main roles then see how well I do in the narrative from there.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 04:45:47 PM by YellowKing » Logged
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 11, 2010, 07:30:59 PM »

Dont get me wrong I didnt dislike Gran Pulse.  It is fantastic graphically and I have enjoyed the time I spent there.  It just felt so different from the earlier portion of the game, as I said with a kind of disjointed loss of focus.  Since Im not using a guide and the map system basically blows ( worst part of the game by far )  Doing the marks became quite difficult.   A better implemented mapping system would have helped a lot.  I ended up grinding CP and saving most of the marks for later.  I felt like if they had put a few villages or such in Gran Pulse and worked some of the quests that way, it would have given you a home base kind of thing and things wouldnt have seemed so scattered and helter skelter.  Thats just me though, Im sure there are many who are happy just the way it is.  Of course these are minor complaints about the game overall.  I ve found it to be a lot of fun, very engaging and beautiful visually.  In many peoples opinions this may not be the #1 FF of all time, but it is certainly a worthy addition to the series and one of the better games to hit the market this year.  I may nit pick for discussions sake but I think Square/Enix did a fantastic job with this game and I hope they continue to put out more FF solo JRPG's  Please S/E dont get sucked into the MMO vacuum and stop doing what you obviously do better than anyone else.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 11, 2010, 08:10:48 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 11, 2010, 04:43:07 PM

But the map system really sucks (hard to tell if you truly explored an area or the map is just fading out at the edges), and the lack of waypoints to the marks is a poor omission.

the map only fades if you haven't completely explored - once you have, no more fade...

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: April 11, 2010, 08:11:41 PM »

Even I am having trouble with the map - which may sound funny to some of you, since I'm lost all the time in games - but due to that I'm used to constantly checking the maps.  That part doesn't bother me, but the other stuff does, like when the pink star for a Mark isn't even on the map, and you can't tell where it might be without running all the way towards it and guessing.  It always makes me wonder what game devs have against N, S, E, and W!  I don't get what the big deal is about adding compass points to a map.   disgust

Well, I just leveled Lightning's Lionheart to a Star for tier 2. The weapon is now called an Ultima...

...To simplify this for folks that may level the same weapon here is what I did...

Bless you, D-Inc!

Lol, I'm still fumbling with the upgrading system, there seems to be something fundamental that I'm just not getting.  Also, I don't have enough money to experiment, nor the patience to keep reloading failures.   As soon as I get the Lionheart, I'm going follow your moves like a recipe, and hopefully that will shed some light into whatever dark corner of my brain that Upgrade success is hiding. 

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 11, 2010, 10:06:19 PM »

the map only fades if you haven't completely explored - once you have, no more fade...

Thanks, that helped a ton. I didn't even notice it last night.

Two things have made Gran Pulse much less frustrating today.

1. I changed my party to the consensus of Light, Fang, and Hope. I was using Light, Snow, and Vanille and while I was successful with them, the L/F/H party seems to be stronger in general. Hope's doing a much better job of healing for whatever reason, and Fang seems to be a better Sentinel.

2. Somehow I never realized you can actually outrun enemies if you can dodge them. I guess the linearity of the previous sections made it a very rare occurrence, and because I was generally trying to fight everything I came across I'm not sure I ever even tried to run past something. Once I realized I could dodge a lot of the enemies in Gran Pulse things became *much* more enjoyable.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 11, 2010, 11:35:50 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 11, 2010, 10:06:19 PM

2. Somehow I never realized you can actually outrun enemies if you can dodge them. I guess the linearity of the previous sections made it a very rare occurrence, and because I was generally trying to fight everything I came across I'm not sure I ever even tried to run past something. Once I realized I could dodge a lot of the enemies in Gran Pulse things became *much* more enjoyable.

not really sure how to respond to this smile . now get yourself a chocobo & have some fun...

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 11, 2010, 11:54:36 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 11, 2010, 10:06:19 PM

There's even a tooltip that popped up for you earlier in the game telling you how to walk around enemies. smile
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 12, 2010, 02:59:31 AM »

No wonder the game has been fairly easy for me so far. All that unintentional grinding paid off!  icon_biggrin
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #505 on: April 12, 2010, 01:35:48 PM »

Close to the end of Ch9 after about 20 hours. This game has captured me like no FF game before it. We'll see if that lasts. I petered out on XII at around 40 hours. I was a little discouraged by the guide when I was flipping through and saw the Intermission section of the walkthrough that said the end of Ch9 was the midpoint of the story. I would like to be closer than that. On the other hand my team is kicking so much ass, and the combat is just challenging enough to keep it interesting that I think I should be good for another 20 hours. My main problem is I never get to play more than 2 hours at a time so in chapters like 7 and 9 it doesn't feel like I'm making much progress.

Also I've yet to upgrade anything and looking at the guide it looks like the weapons I'd want to invest in aren't available yet anyhow. OK, I only looked at Lightning's weapons. slywink The guide gives a lot of information, but I wish it would tell me outright which weapons to upgrade.  Tongue

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 12, 2010, 01:55:33 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on April 12, 2010, 01:35:48 PM

Close to the end of Ch9 after about 20 hours. This game has captured me like no FF game before it. We'll see if that lasts. I petered out on XII at around 40 hours. I was a little discouraged by the guide when I was flipping through and saw the Intermission section of the walkthrough that said the end of Ch9 was the midpoint of the story. I would like to be closer than that.

I finished up Chapter 9 at around 25-30 hours iirc, and my final time was just over 62.  That being said, I did a shitload of grinding in the latter half (at least 5-6 hours worth, maybe more), which you may or may not be inclined to do.  Makes the last boss a hell of a lot easier if all your characters are maxxed on the grid though.  smile

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 12, 2010, 02:31:35 PM »

Possibly the biggest reason I'm loving this game so much is how easy it is to get my bearings when I hop back into playing after a break, partly due to the linearity but largely due to the well written and detailed plot summaries.

I think for just about every epic RPG I've stalled out on I had to set it aside for a week or two and then was completely lost when I returned.  Just recently I had to give up on Infinite Space which had a total lack of even a quest log--even a couple days away from the game and I'd have to scour every planet to see where my quest breadcrumbs were. 
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 12, 2010, 06:11:56 PM »

Out of curiosity, how do you go back and access the post-game stuff?  I saved after the credits rolled, but when I load that save, it puts me right outside the final boss fight area.  There's no way to go back, and entering the final area triggers the battle all over again.  Not that I'm likely to spend much time doing the high-level stuff...mostly just wondering if that's a bug or not.

You have to go backwards. I posted this a few pages back.

One spot to the right (as you go backwards) takes you back further into Eden
The one on the left takes you to a spot just outside the Steppe

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 12, 2010, 06:28:26 PM »

Is Lionheart the weapon of choice for Light?

I originally started with the Axis Blade. It was the first weapon I leveled to Tier One Star. I had to switch to Lionheart because I hadn't opened up the R&D Depot (Mark Mission 7) to get the catalyst. (I skipped the Steppe until I finished the game)
It also afforded me the opportunity to check the difference. The Quick Stagger ability works on everything including bosses, but it just doesn't happen enough. (Quick Stagger has the chance to instantly stagger an enemy NPC)
The Lionheart does close to double the damage of the Axis Blade, but you lose the ATB speed.

I beat the game with it so I guess it is a matter of choice. You can probably beat the game with any weapon for any char.
I think the "right" weapon, if there is such a thing, would only factor in if you plan on taking on all the Marks. I'm not convinced it would even matter then other than to have it maxed in Tier 3 (Omega weapon)

I would recommend to anyone to finish through Mark 14 so that you can check out the Chocs. It opens up a few areas/items and a small quest.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: April 12, 2010, 06:37:19 PM »

I'm not exactly sure where I am in story line progress, probably about halfway through Ch. 11.  I took a long break to catch up on Missions;  I finished another dozen or so, including #14, and I heartily agree with D-Inc on that!  (Very mild Missions spoilers - hidden mostly due to being embarrassingly gushy!  I would definitely steer clear of it if you dislike exclamation points (!)  icon_redface :

Spoiler for Hiden:
I finished all the prereqs for Mission 14 and the mission itself... and I am pleased to report that I can now ride a chocobo!!!!!!!!!!!!  NOW it's a true Final Fantasy game, lmao.  I've still been having gil trouble, but the very first treasure I found was a Gold Nugget, woo-hoo!  I couldn't sleep until I found as many digging sites as I could... like a kid in a candy store (feel free to use your own cheesy metaphor, like "I'm in Heaven: or "I struck it rich!!"  I can hardly wait to go back to the game and see if the zones have reset... wheeeee!!!!   biggrin

Re: other Impressions - I've noticed that the in-game music is very good in places, but there are a few horrible exceptions, for me anyway.  There is some irritating music on at least one screen - could be the Pause menu, or the Save/ Shop menus, but when I hear it longer than a few minutes, I have to mute it.  It's like a cross between elevator music and Katamari music, quite ummm... bouncy.  I'm sure they were aiming for quirkiness, or maybe whimsy, but I've gotten to really hate it.

Another thing I don't like is the huge difference in results when you can or cannot get a Preemptive Strike. Sure, it's a blast when you get one, but it can be quite painful when you don't... and there is no improvable skill associated with it.  Some enemies are just programmed to sit in one place - I even think they might be programmed for a particular response depending on which direction you approach the enemy from. It's not a big deal, but a Sneak skill that could be leveled would have been a welcome addition.  Oh well.

There are some other things that bug me, like the lack of names and compass points on the maps, the occasional wonky camera, hidden variables in synthing, and the notorious Squeenix stinginess (it's not your money, dammit!)  But - all that said - I really love the game;  for me, it does far more right than wrong, and most importantly, the game calls my name all the time (yeah, I'm a nerd, I even dreamed about it last night.)  It's got the whole, "just one more" (level, treasure, map, monster, etc.) going for it.  For me, that's what it's all about!   nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #511 on: April 12, 2010, 06:58:23 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on April 12, 2010, 06:37:19 PM

Another thing I don't like is the huge difference in results when you can or cannot get a Preemptive Strike. Sure, it's a blast when you get one, but it can be quite painful when you don't...

I'm not sure what difference you are referring to. Do you mean the likelihood of 5 starring with a Preemptive Strike vs without? I'm only in Chapter 9 but I'm still getting 5 stars 90%+ of the time. If that's what you are talking about, are you by any chance playing with the combat speed set to slow? That will significantly impact your ability to get 5 stars.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 12, 2010, 08:05:01 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on April 12, 2010, 06:58:23 PM

Another thing I don't like is the huge difference in results when you can or cannot get a Preemptive Strike. Sure, it's a blast when you get one, but it can be quite painful when you don't...

I'm not sure what difference you are referring to. Do you mean the likelihood of 5 starring with a Preemptive Strike vs without? I'm only in Chapter 9 but I'm still getting 5 stars 90%+ of the time. If that's what you are talking about, are you by any chance playing with the combat speed set to slow? That will significantly impact your ability to get 5 stars.

I mostly had meant the ones where you cannot get a P. S., no matter what you do (big mob blocking a path, ie.)  If you get the P.S., it's like getting three "free" moves, if not, then the enemy usually strikes first.  I do have the combat set on Slow, because of my penchant for hitting all the wrong buttons at all the wrong times.  For example, most of yesterday the function of the left shoulder button was a mystery to me all of a sudden, lol.  I guess I thought the combat speed was somehow compensated for in the timer, sort of an Easy vs. Hard option - aw, rats!   Roll Eyes

It doesn't bother me much except when the enemy is harder than average, and it takes way too long to finish the battle - that just bores me after awhile.  I do get a lot of 5-star ratings, but yeah - probably not many that I don't get the P.S. for.  I'll try upping the speed and see if I can manage it, but between my muscle disorder and the broken mitochondria in my brain, it might not be doable.

Thanks, though - I will definitely try that and see how it goes!   

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 12, 2010, 08:13:49 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
I finished all the prereqs for Mission 14 and the mission itself... and I am pleased to report that I can now ride a chocobo!!!!!!!!!!!!  NOW it's a true Final Fantasy game, lmao.  I've still been having gil trouble, but the very first treasure I found was a Gold Nugget, woo-hoo!  I couldn't sleep until I found as many digging sites as I could... like a kid in a candy store (feel free to use your own cheesy metaphor, like "I'm in Heaven: or "I struck it rich!!"  I can hardly wait to go back to the game and see if the zones have reset... wheeeee!!!!   biggrin

Spoiler for Hiden:
welcome to the wonderful world of 'chocobo hot & cold' - recently replayed fffix (my favorite!), which includes the original version, on which i must've spent 10 hours, at least smile ...

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 12, 2010, 08:14:45 PM »

protip:you can issue the same command using the d pad right.

also make sure to set your combat cursor on abilities and not auto. that should help with hitting wrong commands
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 12, 2010, 08:22:11 PM »

Mytocles, just in case you haven't tried using them, you know you can use Deceptisol pre-battle to ensure a preemptive strike?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 12, 2010, 08:40:48 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 12, 2010, 08:22:11 PM

Mytocles, just in case you haven't tried using them, you know you can use Deceptisol pre-battle to ensure a preemptive strike?

Careful with that though.  Deceptisol are hard to come by in the wild, and are pretty expensive (30,000 gil, iirc) to purchase.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 12, 2010, 09:22:34 PM »

Yes, I did know that Pug, but I didn't know how scarce they would become after the first few maps.  I don't think I've seen even one in several chapters now, likely since being in the wild, as Gratch says.  I finally got the right Catalog for them, and in maybe 8 more hours of play, I've gotten one Aegisol, and no others.  My single remaining Deceptisol won't be used until I get another or at least strictly on a "use only in case of (extreme) emergency" basis...   icon_neutral

Semi, I see your Spoiler, and I raise you one (should that be "Raise"?):

Spoiler for Hiden:
I never played FFIX - my first post-SNES FF (Mystic Quest) was FFXI - and chocobos were a huge part of that game, I've missed them ever since!  One more cheesy metaphor:  "I'm a happy camper now!"   icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 12, 2010, 09:38:04 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on April 12, 2010, 09:22:34 PM

Yes, I did know that Pug, but I didn't know how scarce they would become after the first few maps.  I don't think I've seen even one in several chapters now, likely since being in the wild, as Gratch says.  I finally got the right Catalog for them, and in maybe 8 more hours of play, I've gotten one Aegisol, and no others.  My single remaining Deceptisol won't be used until I get another or at least strictly on a "use only in case of (extreme) emergency" basis...   icon_neutral

Semi, I see your Spoiler, and I raise you one (should that be "Raise"?):

Spoiler for Hiden:
I never played FFIX - my first post-SNES FF (Mystic Quest) was FFXI - and chocobos were a huge part of that game, I've missed them ever since!  One more cheesy metaphor:  "I'm a happy camper now!"   icon_razz

afa the -sols, supposedly the worse you do, star-wise, in battles, is the more likely you'll get one as a drop (but, from my playthru, i'm thinking you've gotta do really badly, consistently, because i wasn't perfect a lot of the time, & still hardly got any)...

Spoiler for Hiden:
final fantasy ix is one of my top 5 games of all time - replaying it was as much or more fun than playing it the first time. beautiful, funny, amazing game...

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #519 on: April 12, 2010, 10:03:56 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on April 12, 2010, 09:38:04 PM

afa the -sols, supposedly the worse you do, star-wise, in battles, is the more likely you'll get one as a drop (but, from my playthru, i'm thinking you've gotta do really badly, consistently, because i wasn't perfect a lot of the time, & still hardly got any)...

The drop rate is only higher if you get 2 or fewer stars. IIRC, at 0 stars the drop rate is 8x normal. At 8x it's still pretty low.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: