http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 08:31:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Teen Angst, Japanese Style. The FFXIII Impressions Thread.  (Read 22289 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: April 06, 2010, 07:22:33 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on April 06, 2010, 07:18:17 PM

Aw, c'mon! You super-humans have to realize that there are a few of us "normals" that live on this GT planet with you!  Well, okay, I'm not quite up to normal, lol, but still!   slywink

To clarify, I wasn't trying to condescend at all.  I just thought the bosses in Chapter 10 were generally easier than some of those from earlier in the game (particularly the Chapter 9 boss).  Reading various threads on the game in different forums it seems the big stumbling blocks are the Chapter 4 boss, Chapter 9 boss, and then a lot of stuff in Chapter 11. 
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: April 06, 2010, 07:34:55 PM »

I really think they got the difficulty level on the bosses just about right.  Some have killed me, taught me a few things and then I go on to drop them.   I am running this game without a guide, mostly because it is so linear that I want the surprises built in the game to be meaningful.  This has vastly increased my enjoyment of the game as I feel I earn a boss kill by going it alone.  I do have one major complaint about the game.  Once you hit Gran Pulse the map system is absolutely crap.  No stable map points as the map rotates with your characters orientation, the quest marks are screwy and it seems finding anything is part guesswork and bitching spiced with the occasional location epiphany.   I really enjoy the combat system though, that they definitely got right.  It has a lot of variety and is just plain fun.  Im at the point where I just one shot the chapter 11 final boss Damn was that a long fight) and need to decide should I stay or should I go.  My biggest problem right now is I need GIL.  I have like zero cash so any gil grabbing advice would be helpful.   Heres a tip regarding bomb core grinding made silly easy.  
Spoiler for Hiden:
 The mission 7 hunt is repeatable, easily 5 starred  (use 3 peeps as COM ) and drops 5 cores.  The boss spawned very close to the c-stone so its a quick grind.  Bonus:  if you have the catalog theres small chances he will drop the T-crown or T-tiara

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: April 06, 2010, 07:35:01 PM »

Youtube definitely helped me with th Ch 4 Eidolon
Spoiler for Hiden:
Odin - spark rings, even without upgardes seemed to be key

After 4 or 5 tries, I was thinking about quitting, but youtube showed me it was doable. I don't recall what the boss was in Ch 4, but nothing challenged me other than the Eidolon and I haven't upgraded anything.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 06, 2010, 07:44:36 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 06, 2010, 07:22:33 PM

Aw, c'mon! You super-humans have to realize that there are a few of us "normals" that live on this GT planet with you!  Well, okay, I'm not quite up to normal, lol, but still!   slywink

To clarify, I wasn't trying to condescend at all.  I just thought the bosses in Chapter 10 were generally easier than some of those from earlier in the game (particularly the Chapter 9 boss).  Reading various threads on the game in different forums it seems the big stumbling blocks are the Chapter 4 boss, Chapter 9 boss, and then a lot of stuff in Chapter 11. 

Lol, I was just teasing you and I didn't take it as condescending either, so no worries.

I did have a hard time with the Ch. 9 boss as well, but it didn't seem to take as long - though, that was yesterday so it's already wiped out of my memory banks.  I do wish you hadn't mentioned Ch. 11 being another stumbling-block area, however;  it seems like the whole time I've been playing has been with that shining image of Ch. 11 on the horizon...  Oh, well, I expect it from Squeenix, so I'm rarely surprised anymore.   Roll Eyes

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: April 06, 2010, 07:50:44 PM »

Quote from: skystride on April 06, 2010, 06:42:36 PM

It should be pretty obvious to anyone who has played the games that the characters in DAO/ME2 are deeper and more believable than any FF13 character.  I don't think it's the voice actor's fault, some of the dialog seems like Lucas got hold of the script.  

I have thoroughly enjoyed all three games (DA, ME2, and FFXII) and would actually say that of the three, DA has the weakest characters.  IMHO, of course, but I thought DA's characters were pretty one dimensional throughout, while my entire perception of all the FFXIII characters (except Sazh) has changed quite a few times over the course of the story.

I don't mind the Japanese quirkiness but I do mind the inconsistent and out of character things that the characters sometimes say or do.

Like what (just out of curiosity)?  Once the full arc of the story was revealed, I found that most of their actions - while they may have seemed strange at the time - now make perfect sense.  Even Vanille's initial annoying quirkiness is at least somewhat explainable.

I haven't had a ton of trouble after Chapter 9, but I've also a) got the guide to provide some much needed strategy and b) have spent a ton of time grinding for CP.  Having a full array of skills, HP, Strength, and Magic makes a huge difference.  I imagine I'd have had a nightmare of a time trying to figure them out on my own.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 07:55:58 PM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 06, 2010, 07:51:25 PM »

on the good side of things, Chapter 11 is open and the "tough" stuff is spread out.  You could probably spend as much time in chapter 11 as you have in the previous 10 chapters.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: April 06, 2010, 07:55:05 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on April 06, 2010, 07:34:55 PM

do have one major complaint about the game.  Once you hit Gran Pulse the map system is absolutely crap.  No stable map points as the map rotates with your characters orientation, the quest marks are screwy and it seems finding anything is part guesswork and bitching spiced with the occasional location epiphany.  

I agree.  I had a hell of a time adjusting to the open world, and got extremely frustrated with the game until I'd spent a couple hours getting used to the maps.  I still don't know how you're supposed to know which Ce'ith Stone to unlock in which order, and ended up randomly running towards any flashing icon on the map.

Spoiler for Hiden:
 The mission 7 hunt is repeatable, easily 5 starred  (use 3 peeps as COM ) and drops 5 cores.  The boss spawned very close to the c-stone so its a quick grind.  Bonus:  if you have the catalog theres small chances he will drop the T-crown or T-tiara

Good advice, this.  Not to mention the fact it opens up some rather important upgrage options later on...ones which I missed because I somehow skipped it.   icon_evil

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 06, 2010, 08:01:15 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 06, 2010, 06:43:11 PM

Did you try checking a youtube video or something to see what their specific strategies were?  I don't recall the Chapter 10 bosses being very hard compared to some of the earlier ones.  While it was a bit too slow to open up early on, I think FF13 does a very good job with it's difficulty curve (up through Chapter 11 which is where I am now). 

I just beat the first boss in Ch. 10 - with all my characters' main skills maxed (plus all having Medic open for Cure), one "star" weapon and a level 13 one - and it took forever. I managed it on the second try, after wasting a very long time on the first fight and dying.  I'm really glad I made the paradigm for 3 medics, as it saved me on several occasions. Near the end, I had to heal practically every other move, so yeah, I was quite ready for the boss to be dead.  I remember thinking at the very end of the second try, feeling like I might quit the game if I had to do the fight one more time. 

I like a challenge sometimes - but this was rather painful... I wonder what ever happened to difficulty levels?   icon_eek

Yeah, I fought that boss about 6-7 times before winning. Then I got to a boss that appears even more difficult a few hours later. That's kind of why I'm filled with trepidation at this point and putting my energy elsewhere.

Too many good gaming experiences out there to get so held up on one these days.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 08:03:25 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 06, 2010, 09:15:32 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 06, 2010, 07:50:44 PM

Quote from: skystride on April 06, 2010, 06:42:36 PM

I don't mind the Japanese quirkiness but I do mind the inconsistent and out of character things that the characters sometimes say or do.

Like what (just out of curiosity)?  Once the full arc of the story was revealed, I found that most of their actions - while they may have seemed strange at the time - now make perfect sense.  Even Vanille's initial annoying quirkiness is at least somewhat explainable.

(possible minor spoilers)

I didn't mind Vanille so much (except the fact that she has multiple orgasms in every battle).  I can't stand Hope.  He went from mentally challenged kid to annoying motivational speaker very abruptly.  That's a common thing, people just completely changing personality like flipping a switch; it's not gradual.  Like Fang not giving a shit about millions of people dying then something happens and she becomes a humanitarian.  I'm bad at remembering dialog, otherwise I would have some specific examples where I thought the lines were out of place.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 06, 2010, 09:19:03 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 06, 2010, 08:01:15 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 06, 2010, 06:43:11 PM

Did you try checking a youtube video or something to see what their specific strategies were?  I don't recall the Chapter 10 bosses being very hard compared to some of the earlier ones.  While it was a bit too slow to open up early on, I think FF13 does a very good job with it's difficulty curve (up through Chapter 11 which is where I am now). 

I just beat the first boss in Ch. 10 - with all my characters' main skills maxed (plus all having Medic open for Cure), one "star" weapon and a level 13 one - and it took forever. I managed it on the second try, after wasting a very long time on the first fight and dying.  I'm really glad I made the paradigm for 3 medics, as it saved me on several occasions. Near the end, I had to heal practically every other move, so yeah, I was quite ready for the boss to be dead.  I remember thinking at the very end of the second try, feeling like I might quit the game if I had to do the fight one more time. 

I like a challenge sometimes - but this was rather painful... I wonder what ever happened to difficulty levels?   icon_eek

Yeah, I fought that boss about 6-7 times before winning. Then I got to a boss that appears even more difficult a few hours later. That's kind of why I'm filled with trepidation at this point and putting my energy elsewhere.

Too many good gaming experiences out there to get so held up on one these days.

Yeah, I hear you on that, and I'm not sure why I'm such a masochist when it comes to Squeenix games, but I'll keep trying - for now.  Oh, I forgot to mention before that the only reason I ended up winning on the second try was actually a fluke.  Near the end, I was pounding buttons in total panic, when I accidentally summoned Odin at (apparently) the exact right moment.  Luck sometimes does beat ability, and I gratefully accepted it!

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: April 06, 2010, 10:49:23 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on April 06, 2010, 06:25:43 PM

Quote from: jersoc on April 06, 2010, 06:13:34 PM

Quote from: Ridah on April 06, 2010, 04:45:43 PM

Quote from: farley2k on April 06, 2010, 04:37:30 PM

I have put it down for a few days after hitting chapter 11.  It feels so open that I am perhaps a bit overwhelmed but at the same time it is so empty that I am kind of bored.  It is just about going from fight to fight, to fight, to fight, etc.  I don't feel like the characters are growing of the story.  The fights are fun while I am doing them but afterwards I just feel like I didn't really do anything

Square has a thing or two to learn from Bioware in that department. 

no. no they do not.

Yes, yes they do.  (this seems kind of pointless...I don't think opinions will really change)

I found the story and characters much more interesting in ME2.  It was fun to follow the politician to try to find the assassin, it was cool to help the Salarian check the Genophage.  There has been nothing like that in FF13. 

dear god, what? the story in FF13 is great. Maybe not presentation wise, but it's pretty much a complete 180 of every rpg story. It's a group that are a bunch traitors that set out to basically destroy the world.

Bioware's stories so cliche you can figure out the ending within 3 hours. No thanks. Bioware is the diet coke of rpg making. taste great, no filling.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 06, 2010, 11:37:07 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on April 06, 2010, 10:49:23 PM

Quote from: farley2k on April 06, 2010, 06:25:43 PM

Quote from: jersoc on April 06, 2010, 06:13:34 PM

Quote from: Ridah on April 06, 2010, 04:45:43 PM

Quote from: farley2k on April 06, 2010, 04:37:30 PM

I have put it down for a few days after hitting chapter 11.  It feels so open that I am perhaps a bit overwhelmed but at the same time it is so empty that I am kind of bored.  It is just about going from fight to fight, to fight, to fight, etc.  I don't feel like the characters are growing of the story.  The fights are fun while I am doing them but afterwards I just feel like I didn't really do anything

Square has a thing or two to learn from Bioware in that department. 

no. no they do not.

Yes, yes they do.  (this seems kind of pointless...I don't think opinions will really change)

I found the story and characters much more interesting in ME2.  It was fun to follow the politician to try to find the assassin, it was cool to help the Salarian check the Genophage.  There has been nothing like that in FF13. 

dear god, what? the story in FF13 is great. Maybe not presentation wise, but it's pretty much a complete 180 of every rpg story. It's a group that are a bunch traitors that set out to basically destroy the world.

Bioware's stories so cliche you can figure out the ending within 3 hours. No thanks. Bioware is the diet coke of rpg making. taste great, no filling.

Many of us prefer diet coke slywink

Sean Lama
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 07, 2010, 03:38:36 AM »

Some of the side quests in DAO/ME2 are very unpredictable and well written.  Sure FF 13 story is a little different but that's an exception for Square Enix, you can figure out the ending of most other FF games in 2.5 hours.  Storyline has never been the highlight of a FF game for me.  Despite being different, the FF 13 story is still losing me at around Ch 12.  I will finish the game since I'm probably close but it's not because I'm intrigued about finding out what happens next.  Unless something amazing happens in the end game to change my opinion, I'm starting to think that 13 will be placed pretty low in my ranking of FF games.  I was holding out on GOTY selection until I played FF 13 but it's looking more and more like ME2 will be the clear choice.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 07, 2010, 10:57:14 AM »

Quote from: mytocles on April 06, 2010, 02:52:20 PM

I know that it is more efficient to upgrade an item to the Star level, but I'm wondering what you do with the level 13... should I scrap it and start over when I have the money, or can I pick up where I left off on it?  Also, if I have five weapons for a character, is it okay to take the best weapon of the lot, stats-wise - or might other weapons end up better after Upgrading?

And: should I sell all components that have low XP ratings, or might they have a use eventually?  I've been saving everything so far, but I'd rather "clean house" on anything that is useless.

I still can't seem to find these answers in the Guide or in cyberspace... so I'll try a bump (more like a nudge, hopefully!)

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 07, 2010, 01:45:03 PM »

Quote from: skystride on April 07, 2010, 03:38:36 AM

Some of the side quests in DAO/ME2 are very unpredictable and well written.  Sure FF 13 story is a little different but that's an exception for Square Enix, you can figure out the ending of most other FF games in 2.5 hours.  Storyline has never been the highlight of a FF game for me.  Despite being different, the FF 13 story is still losing me at around Ch 12.  I will finish the game since I'm probably close but it's not because I'm intrigued about finding out what happens next.  

Bioware and Square approach story structure very differently.  Bioware games are set up to where you can spend hours on side quests that are, for the most part, self contained stories or events.  They'll be somewhat connected to the main plot, but function just fine as their own little standalone piece of character development.   Square, on the other hand, chooses to have their storytelling remain completely focused on the main plot and main plot only.  Even in the previous FF games, side-quests were simply all about gaining XP or loot and never really about advancing the story or developing the characters in any meaningful way.

I'm not saying one of these is better than the other (I enjoy both methods of storytelling), but it seems strange to knock the lack of side-quests in FF XIII when that has never really been their MO.  That said, I'd agree that ME2 has the stronger story, but I think FFXIII is light years ahead of Dragon Age, which was pretty basic sword & sorcery pulp.  Enjoyable pulp, but still pretty basic.

I didn't mind Vanille so much (except the fact that she has multiple orgasms in every battle).  I can't stand Hope.  He went from mentally challenged kid to annoying motivational speaker very abruptly.  That's a common thing, people just completely changing personality like flipping a switch; it's not gradual.  Like Fang not giving a shit about millions of people dying then something happens and she becomes a humanitarian.  I'm bad at remembering dialog, otherwise I would have some specific examples where I thought the lines were out of place.

Interesting, thanks for the feedback.  I'm not sure I agree with this, but I can see where you're coming from.  In Hope's case: 
Spoiler for Hiden:
it seemed more that once he was able to get over his anger and truly understand what happened with Snow and his mother, as well as coming to the realization that they were working towards a common - and rather important - goal, his attitude changed.
You view this as an abrupt out-of-character shift, while I see it as something that would be a fairly natural reaction to the situation and enjoyable character development.   Having him stay as the angsty, angry kid throughout the game would have just been...lame.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 01:52:15 PM by Gratch » Logged

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 07, 2010, 02:01:13 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 07, 2010, 01:45:03 PM

That said, I'd agree that ME2 has the stronger story,

Man, I can't agree primarily because the reason I can't get into ME2 despite ME1 being one of my favorite games of the generation is the almost complete lack of story.  If there was something more concrete holding the game together than "assemble a rag tag group of commandos for a suicide mission" then I think I would enjoy it more.  As is, it feels like the assemble the group portion should be a 1/3 of the game max, not 80% of the game.  I kind of wish that ME2 had something similar to FF13 where they made each character essential to the overall plot so that as you fill in the character's backstory you are also learning more about the main threat.  They did that a little through what I played of ME2 (about 60% I'm guessing) but not nearly enough for me. 
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #456 on: April 07, 2010, 02:04:10 PM »

ME2 suffers from "middle of a trilogy" syndrome. Kind of like the Two Towers, it's just...there. yes, I know ESB bucks the trend (blame the ewoks), but I still say it's a trend!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #457 on: April 07, 2010, 02:07:56 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on April 07, 2010, 10:57:14 AM

I know that it is more efficient to upgrade an item to the Star level, but I'm wondering what you do with the level 13... should I scrap it and start over when I have the money, or can I pick up where I left off on it?  Also, if I have five weapons for a character, is it okay to take the best weapon of the lot, stats-wise - or might other weapons end up better after Upgrading?

And: should I sell all components that have low XP ratings, or might they have a use eventually?  I've been saving everything so far, but I'd rather "clean house" on anything that is useless.

I still can't seem to find these answers in the Guide or in cyberspace... so I'll try a bump (more like a nudge, hopefully!)

icon_razz

For the first part of your question, you can certainly continue upgrading the level 13 weapon.

For the rest, I don't know. I think when I get to upgrading (only in Ch5 atm) if there isn't a solid guide on the net, I'll be buying the game guide. I only upgraded one item just to see how it worked and loaded previous save when I was done.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 07, 2010, 03:02:33 PM »

I haven't seen the end of the story so maybe it gets a lot better but so far I find it just silly.  Flacids create Lice to hurt Cacoons over Pulse so they can kill an Orphan and bring back the Maker....perhaps the story would appeal to me more if they didn't have chuck stupid names for characters, monsters, planets, etc.  To me it is just like everything else - only there so you have an excuse to fight. 

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 07, 2010, 05:07:56 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on April 07, 2010, 03:02:33 PM

I haven't seen the end of the story so maybe it gets a lot better but so far I find it just silly.  Flacids create Lice to hurt Cacoons over Pulse so they can kill an Orphan and bring back the Maker....perhaps the story would appeal to me more if they didn't have chuck stupid names for characters, monsters, planets, etc.  To me it is just like everything else - only there so you have an excuse to fight. 

Careful throwing out the story like that, even though I'm past it but I'd hate to be in chapters 3 or 4 and read that.

Sean Lama
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 07, 2010, 05:08:29 PM »

Kevin, I had no idea you weren't into ME2. Did you talk about that in the ME2 thread? I must have missed it if you did.

Sean Lama
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 07, 2010, 05:18:27 PM »

I couldn't make it past the Ch. 9 Boss and got tired of dying, so I was forced into the Upgrading system against my will.  I'd made just enough money to buy most of the items I guessed were required - so,  Fang has a "star" weapon and Lightning has a level 13 weapon.  Then I ran out of money, so I went with that and attacked Barthandalus.  I died once, but succeeded on the second try, so that was good.  Now I'm flat broke again, but at least the non-boss enemies should be easier for a little while, so if I have to farm it won't be quite so painful.

Last question, honest:  should I sell all components that have low XP ratings, or might they have a use eventually?  I've been saving everything so far, but I'd rather "clean house" on anything that is useless.

Thanks!   icon_razz

Sorry for taking so long. Sometimes I go a day or so w/o reading or posting.

I sold most of the Organics in the beginning, but later on their are drops that sell for lots of Gil. (A quest in Vanille's town will give you like 250K+ in items)
So after that, I just sold the high Gil items (They usually have a catalyst symbol, but instead of stating they are a catalyst in the description line at the top it states "can be sold for a premium", just make sure you don't sell catalysts.)

Don't worry about the level 13 weapon Myto, you can upgrade it. It will just cost you a little more in Organics to get the 3x multiplier back.
Just take the level 13 item add 36 Sturdy Bones and go back to add the rest of the Mechanical you need. The only thing you really lose out is the Gil for the Sturdy Bones.

I did the same thing to take a Tier 1 item to Tier 2. I only had two UCRs which took it most of the way. I just added another pile of Sturdy Bones (I think I needed less than 36 to get back to 3x because I only lost the negative value of 2 UCRs)
Then I added PAs to complete it.

Weapon upgrades do help, but IMO, having your 3 major roles maxed out makes more of a difference. Also, IMO, "B" is the toughest Boss in the game.
Spoiler for Hiden:
You will see him again  icon_wink
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 05:24:06 PM by DamageInc » Logged

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 07, 2010, 05:19:21 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 07, 2010, 05:08:29 PM

Kevin, I had no idea you weren't into ME2. Did you talk about that in the ME2 thread? I must have missed it if you did.

Very briefly (like one post I believe) as I hate to crap on an otherwise overwhelmingly positive thread.  I deliberately put the game aside and I'll come back to it at some point and hope that I enjoy it more (as has happened with many games for me in the past) but I don't think I'll be changing my mind on the issues with the story (or lack thereof).  
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 07, 2010, 07:33:50 PM »

I'll agree on Dragon Age's story. Holy crap was that the most let down game ever story wise. I thought it would be this big sprawling epic arc with multiple WTF moments. But we got nothing. We got a cliched dnd story line. There was so much more that was possible and they just didnt even bother going through with them.

Even Mass Effects arcs is pretty basic for what it could be.

On the side quest part. This is what I was talking about earlier when I said western rpgs are ruining jrpgs. I enjoy both for different reasons. I don't expect, nor want, my jrpgs to have be open world. Open world=boring world. Unless you're game is fallout 3, your open world sucks, your side quests sucks. Some jrpgs do have side quests, specifically the tales series comes to mind. the only bad thing is those games rely on doing things to unlock some of the side quests. the extra stuff that past ff games have had just sucked and weren't fun. the card game in 8 was a mess. blitz ball was boring as hell. the arcade zone in 7 was neat, but ultimately served no purpose.

I much enjoy the hunts in 12 and 13 than any of those.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: April 07, 2010, 08:36:15 PM »

Thanks, Coop and D-Inc!   nod

I had a feeling that the level 13 weapon wasn't a total wash, but everywhere I looked folks were saying that you should upgrade something all at once, like it was prohibitively expensive to do it any other way.  I already had my characters maxed when I couldn't beat "B" so I figured that one or two upgraded weapons might be the difference.  Now I just have to go back out and make a pile more money, but I'm used to that.  My strong suits are patience and tenacity, not so much mad gaming skills, lol. 

D-Inc, thanks for that little spoiler tid-bit; due to my (notoriously bad) memory, I can look at most spoilers and not have them ruin anything for me - usually.  Somehow, I don't think I'll forget the "B" spoiler though!  icon_eek

Coop, you should definitely try to look at the inside of the guide before you plunk down the money on it.  Mine was a present - the LE edition - but the part describing Upgrading wasn't written in a way that helped me - until after I read this thread and tried a few myself.  Just a thought, could be just me.  I'm not criticizing the guide as a whole, I think it is one of the best ones I've ever used, but out of almost 300 pages - only four dealt with Upgrading and Dismantling.

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: April 07, 2010, 08:50:10 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on April 07, 2010, 08:36:15 PM

Thanks, Coop and D-Inc!   nod

I had a feeling that the level 13 weapon wasn't a total wash, but everywhere I looked folks were saying that you should upgrade something all at once, like it was prohibitively expensive to do it any other way.  I already had my characters maxed when I couldn't beat "B" so I figured that one or two upgraded weapons might be the difference.  Now I just have to go back out and make a pile more money, but I'm used to that.  My strong suits are patience and tenacity, not so much mad gaming skills, lol. 

D-Inc, thanks for that little spoiler tid-bit; due to my (notoriously bad) memory, I can look at most spoilers and not have them ruin anything for me - usually.  Somehow, I don't think I'll forget the "B" spoiler though!  icon_eek

Coop, you should definitely try to look at the inside of the guide before you plunk down the money on it.  Mine was a present - the LE edition - but the part describing Upgrading wasn't written in a way that helped me - until after I read this thread and tried a few myself.  Just a thought, could be just me.  I'm not criticizing the guide as a whole, I think it is one of the best ones I've ever used, but out of almost 300 pages - only four dealt with Upgrading and Dismantling.

icon_razz

No problem. It only gets costly if you start upgrading weapons piecemeal with the various drops. If you do one or two big chunks you only lose a few K in Gil.
You start to see this impact more if you are upgrading in tiers 2 and 3.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 08, 2010, 10:07:56 AM »

ME2's story line was assemble your group from the dregs of society and take on the big bad.  In FF13 you, well lets see I guess you assemble your group from the dregs of society and take on the big bad.  Sure theres character color in both games though honestly ME2 did more to develop this thru the loyalty quests, but still both games follow the same basic idea when you really look at it.  Where ME2 rose above was in presentation.  Far better in my opinion.  FF13 tends towards weird cut scenes and without the datalog you wouldnt quite understand what just happened. Thats not to say I dont like FF13, Id   I think its an excellent game.  Im having a blast with it and it is what it is, a JRPG.  ME2 is not a JRPG.  While they have their similarities, they are different factions of the rpg genre.  Using what you like in one to rip the other is kind of a waste of time since they both have very strong followings and appeal across a broad spectrum of individuals.  Certainly its cool to compare and contrast the differences in the two but understand that what you like in a game may be completely different from someone else.  This doesnt make you right or wrong, you just have different tastes.  Myself I enjoy both games for what they are and am glad they have thier differences.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 08, 2010, 11:39:30 AM »

My one piece of advice for those starting out Chapter 11 is...DO NOT MISS MARK #7.

I somehow missed it, and it has back to haunt me multiple times in Chapter 12.  Want to upgrade Lightning's Axis Blade?  Need something that's unlocked by Mark #7.  Want to upgrade the Nibletoe Boots?  Need something that's unlocked by Mark #7.  Want some Sprint Shoes to get a speed advantage?  You guessed it...Mark #7.  I am seriously irritated that I missed this one (especially since I spent a good 4-5 hours doing Mark hunts), and would highly recommend that people take the extra time to find it.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 08, 2010, 02:40:21 PM »

Thank you for the warning, Gratch!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 08, 2010, 08:25:33 PM »

Yeah, really - thanks for the heads-up, Gratch!  I did my first Hunts last night, but only the first few - I will make sure I don't miss #7.  I have missed a few things here and there, like the occasional treasure sphere, and I absolutely hate it when games don't let you go back to get stuff like that.  Hopefully I haven't missed anything as important (and painful) as what you describe.   icon_eek

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 08, 2010, 09:08:02 PM »

And another warning about mark #7, it's tons more difficult than the missions preceding.  I had to go back and grind for a bit to unlock a better healing spell before I was able to beat it.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 09, 2010, 01:40:37 AM »

Mark 7 has some serious immunities.   Heres a hint on how to 5 star it.   
Spoiler for Hiden:
Hes vunerable to COM attacks,  just go with 3 COMs as you main paradigm and have a med sen med healing paradigm for emergencies.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 09, 2010, 01:52:01 AM »

and for you CP grinders I found the best spot in the game.  you can get 6600cp in under 30 seconds and it respawns quickly with just a short walk away from the spawn point.   
Spoiler for Hiden:
If you use Cocoon in the sky for a reference point and call it North, in the steppes in Gran Pulse theres a spot to the NE, just before the path to Mah'Habara.  At this spot theres a Behemoth King and a Magawhatever fighting each other. You will always get pre emptive strike entering the fight. Also the beasts are at 1/2 hp when you engage them.  You must target and kill the Behemoth immediately as he form shifts and heals rather quickly, the Mag is a wussy and drops easily once the King is down.  I use a 3 rav paradigm and always finish it in 30 sec or less.   At the top of the path leading to thes guys is a save point, just run a bit past the save point and the fight respawns.  Easy CP

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 09, 2010, 06:30:15 AM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on April 09, 2010, 01:52:01 AM

and for you CP grinders I found the best spot in the game.  you can get 6600cp in under 30 seconds and it respawns quickly with just a short walk away from the spawn point.   
Spoiler for Hiden:
If you use Cocoon in the sky for a reference point and call it North, in the steppes in Gran Pulse theres a spot to the NE, just before the path to Mah'Habara.  At this spot theres a Behemoth King and a Magawhatever fighting each other. You will always get pre emptive strike entering the fight. Also the beasts are at 1/2 hp when you engage them.  You must target and kill the Behemoth immediately as he form shifts and heals rather quickly, the Mag is a wussy and drops easily once the King is down.  I use a 3 rav paradigm and always finish it in 30 sec or less.   At the top of the path leading to thes guys is a save point, just run a bit past the save point and the fight respawns.  Easy CP

this has been mentioned like 5 times already Tongue
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 09, 2010, 01:47:31 PM »

Aside from Mark #7, are there any must-have item drops from the missions?  I just read that some of the later missions are nigh impossible if you're not doing a NewGame+ run, so if I can I'd rather just give up and move on with the story. (I've currently done through mission 15.)
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 09, 2010, 03:20:49 PM »

I'm at the point where a bunch of level 50 and 60 missions opened up but they are too hard.  Where are the level 40 missions?  I don't have a single level 40s mission completed.
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 09, 2010, 06:27:07 PM »

Quote from: skystride on April 09, 2010, 03:20:49 PM

I'm at the point where a bunch of level 50 and 60 missions opened up but they are too hard.  Where are the level 40 missions?  I don't have a single level 40s mission completed.

There are missions of the "B" and "C" variety that are woven into the story. (Vanille's town and the tower) I am not sure if these are the level 40 missions or not.
I didn't have any issue with most of the "B" and "C" missions, but I didn't attempt the last few or the "A" Marks.

My guess would be that you may need Omega weapons and awesome accessories, and even more so, you probably need to have all three main roles fully maxed and even dip into the minor roles.

My general experience with the game was that if you are getting wasted then you are not leveled enough. If you are fully leveled then weapons/accessories can give you a boost.
If you have all that and you still are not winning then it comes down to strategy and using the correct paradigms.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 09, 2010, 07:29:10 PM »

Unless I imagined it, I had a 60+ mission ranked C.  And it was probably against a mob that eats meat AT-ATs for breakfast.  I can't even beat the largest AT-AT yet.  This is during Ch 13 btw (I went back).
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 09, 2010, 07:33:14 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 09, 2010, 01:47:31 PM

Aside from Mark #7, are there any must-have item drops from the missions?  I just read that some of the later missions are nigh impossible if you're not doing a NewGame+ run, so if I can I'd rather just give up and move on with the story. (I've currently done through mission 15.)

no must-have items, but mission 34 > any other mission i finished (first 35). in it's own weird way, almost the high point of the game for me smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 09, 2010, 07:47:04 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on April 09, 2010, 06:30:15 AM

Quote from: rshetts2 on April 09, 2010, 01:52:01 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

this has been mentioned like 5 times already Tongue

Just trying to help.  Actually, Ive been playing the game without a guide and have tried to avoid reading alot of spoilers, so I missed where this has been mentioned.  Also I figured since there are people like me who are not as far into the game as the powergamers, Id share what I had found to be a major help.  Ill just apologize in advance in case I post any further info in the future that may have been mentioned prior to my post as I still plan on avoiding the major spoilers in this thread.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: