http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 12:27:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Teen Angst, Japanese Style. The FFXIII Impressions Thread.  (Read 22477 times)
DamageInc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: April 02, 2010, 11:14:05 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 02, 2010, 05:20:03 AM

Quote from: DamageInc on April 01, 2010, 08:14:17 PM

Also, Chapter 11 is the first chapter to have a great area for farming optimum Mechanical components like Bomb Cores with the added benefit of being a great area to farm CP.
(The area is the first section in Mah'habara, from the first save point, then take your first hard left and stop right before the Juggernaut (the Juggernaut is invisible until you pass a certain point into the deadend, just don't go beyond the "open" fence)
and then back to the save spot. You will make 30K plus CP per run and close to a half dozen Bomb Cores off Cryohedrons if you five star the battles (preemptive strikes help) On the map you are basically walking a "U" shape to just before a deadend and then back to the save point.

Is there a trick to getting Bomb Cores?  I've been farming this area with the "Collector's Catalog" accessory equipped, getting 5-star rankings on nearly every battle, and am only seeing Bomb Cores drop about 20% of the time.  Getting a ton of Bomb Ashes, which are pretty much worthless.  Getting the 20 or so more Cores I need to hit Tier 2 seems like it will take forever.  Good thing I'm getting CP while doing it.  smile

No trick really. I was getting them about 40% of the time. Just five stars w/ preemptive strikes. you will get the non-rare drop of Bomb Ashes as well.
Also, I don't believe I had a Catalogue at that point so my experience was w/o it. Some battles I would come away with 2.

Jersoc is correct about the hunts. You can get Bomb Cores quickly there as well, just not as much CP unless you can take down stuff in the Steppe quickly.
Missions 1, 3, 5, 9 and 12 also drop them as a secondary award like 7 does.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 11:18:30 PM by DamageInc » Logged

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 02, 2010, 11:26:19 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 01, 2010, 09:06:37 PM

I guess I don't know much about the crafting because I am only at the beginning of chapter 9?  I haven't come across a trapz or UC that I know of. 

You won't see a Trap drop until you fight the toughest monsters in the game. (The dinosaur looking ones)
Some of the variants have lower HP and less damage output, these do not drop them.

There is an example of one in the normal game (Adamantoise) in Leviathan Plaza (Chapter 12), but they are normally found in the Steppe area.
Try fighting it (lol) your entire party will be one shotted. I was as high, level and weapon wise, you could be at that point in the game.
I figurered I would give it a try and got one shotted before I even got one attack in.

The funny thing is that the Adamantoise is one of the lower variants that drop the Trap (they only have 5 Mil HP)

During my normal gameplay I only found 2 UCs and I believe it was from a treasure orb
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 11:29:20 PM by DamageInc » Logged

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 02, 2010, 11:40:48 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 02, 2010, 10:20:54 PM

Finally beat him... And it was easy this time!! I really need to utilize sentinels better, it would seem. Also using my summon while he was staggered kicked the shit out of him.

Yeah that works. Some bosses like "B" have a battle clock that you need to beat them within or they cast Doom on you.
I think "B" casts Doom at the 20 min mark.

The key with Sentinels is to switch to them right before the attack comes in, let them take most of it, then switch to Combat Clinic, heal, and then go full Relentless.
I found that the guide tended to favor a slow/defensive strategy which was a bit overkill in some situations. This will often lead you into trouble if battles take too long.
So don't "hang out" to long in a Sentinel Paradigm especially against Bosses that are casting AoE at you anyway. Taunt isn't very effective at that point.

I do agree with buffs and debuffs. They go along way which is why I chose the Vidofnir weapon for Hope. This weapon has a buff called "Defense Maintenance" that extends the duration of Buffs.
Less buffing time means more Ravager Magic attack time.

Some of these weapons sacrifice some damage, but I thought the buffs were worth it.

A good weapon for Fang in the Sentinel role is the Gae Bolg. It has an Improved Counter buff that will work well with Vendetta.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 02, 2010, 11:50:30 PM »

You gotta be kidding me. Another boss, still chapter 10, and it kicks my ass within 30 seconds.

I must be playing this game wrong or have a poor grasp of the battle system, unless the game was intended to be this difficult.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 03, 2010, 04:11:08 AM »

So I just spent over 500,000 CP I had stored up for three of the characters I hadn't used in a looooooong time.  That was kinda fun.  smile   It's unfortunate they make the non-core classes so expensive.  By the time I got access to them, dropping the CP for their incremental upgrades didn't make much sense - especially when my main class skills are so gorram expensive.

Chapter 11 mid-boss is down, now I'm trying to decide whether to press onward with the story or ride the Atmos back and go do some leveling.  While leveling is never bad, I've really been enjoying the story momentum again.  Decisions, decisions...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 04:12:58 AM by Gratch » Logged

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: April 03, 2010, 04:16:45 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 02, 2010, 11:50:30 PM

You gotta be kidding me. Another boss, still chapter 10, and it kicks my ass within 30 seconds.

I must be playing this game wrong or have a poor grasp of the battle system, unless the game was intended to be this difficult.

i'd say the game's difficult enough to make having a solid grasp of the battle system a necessity - like jersoc's said, they keep the training wheels on for quite a while, &, once they remove them, things really ratchet up...

Quote from: Gratch on April 03, 2010, 04:11:08 AM

Chapter 11 mid-boss is down, now I'm trying to decide whether to press onward with the story or ride the Atmos back and go do some leveling.  While leveling is never bad, I've really been enjoying the story momentum again.  Decisions, decisions...

i had a blast hanging out - did over half the missions & all my weapon/item leveling before moving on. but, as you know, you'll have the opportunity to return before the end, so i'd say whatever feels right smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 03, 2010, 04:46:10 AM »

Any winning strategies for a chapter 10 fight?

Spoiler for Hiden:
Bahamut

He seriously takes my whole group out within two attacks if I'm not in a sentinel/medic/medic paradigm.

Sean Lama
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 03, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »

So I just spent over 500,000 CP I had stored up for three of the characters I hadn't used in a looooooong time.  That was kinda fun.  smile   It's unfortunate they make the non-core classes so expensive.  By the time I got access to them, dropping the CP for their incremental upgrades didn't make much sense - especially when my main class skills are so gorram expensive.

Chapter 11 mid-boss is down, now I'm trying to decide whether to press onward with the story or ride the Atmos back and go do some leveling.  While leveling is never bad, I've really been enjoying the story momentum again.  Decisions, decisions...

I say finish. You're about 3 hours until the end you're just about to treat yourself to the most awesome cutscene in the entire game. I'm still enjoying the game even after I beat it last week. I've sunk about 15 hours extra so far. I just started the titan trials now, so there's still plenty left to do.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 03, 2010, 04:02:09 PM »

So, after the game in new dawn... if you want to continue do you just turn around and go back to the portals? It tells me to go back to the bosses :-P.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #409 on: April 03, 2010, 04:50:36 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 02, 2010, 03:57:14 PM

Quote from: Ridah on April 02, 2010, 03:46:47 PM

It definitely picks up, the beginning is the slowest portion of the game.

Understatement of the year.  As much as I love FF XIII 40+ hours in, the first 4-5 hours were unbearably dull.

Check the datalog regularly so you can stay current with the story.

+1.  I would have been completely lost on the story were it not for the datalog.

A good bit into chapter 3 and I'm starting to get a clue 3.5 hours in. Seriously considering the start guide now though based on all the posts about crafting and troublesome bosses. I'm approaching character development in a completely haphazard manner as well.

I finally lost a fight last night so at least there's a hint of challenge. slywink

I find the speed of some of the trash mob fights a bit silly. It takes longer to load in and view the post-fight screen than the fight. 4 seconds is kinda short for a fight.  disgust

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 03, 2010, 05:22:15 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on April 03, 2010, 04:02:09 PM

So, after the game in new dawn... if you want to continue do you just turn around and go back to the portals? It tells me to go back to the bosses :-P.

Yes, once you beat the final bosses you just go backwards and you can take a left or right. One leads back to Eden and the other leads to Vallis (near the Steppe entrance)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 05:26:54 PM by DamageInc » Logged

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 03, 2010, 05:37:34 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 03, 2010, 04:46:10 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Bahamut

He seriously takes my whole group out within two attacks if I'm not in a sentinel/medic/medic paradigm.

Spoiler for Hiden:

I think this was an Eidolon battle where you switch out for Vanille?

Well, I was fully leveled (the alt chars too) in my main three roles at that point. It isn't necessary, but it definitely helps. I don't think I had any weapons leveled at that point.
Start by staying in the healing P like you are doing. You will need to do this for awhile.

Wait for the Eidolon to start backing off, and then start attacking while using a Sentinel P (I think you still have Delta with this group)
There is also a P that has Buff/Debuffs, I would try to use that for a turn or so.
Keep healing in between.

Cast Libra at the start if you can (Make sure that Combat Clinic? is your default P when you retry, just change it back when you are done)
Hit R1 during the battle to see what drives the Eidolon's gauge, I think his was healing and protecting as well as chains.

Good luck.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 05:52:02 PM by DamageInc » Logged

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 03, 2010, 05:49:28 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on April 03, 2010, 09:49:00 AM

I say finish. You're about 3 hours until the end you're just about to treat yourself to the most awesome cutscene in the entire game. I'm still enjoying the game even after I beat it last week. I've sunk about 15 hours extra so far. I just started the titan trials now, so there's still plenty left to do.

I took the ride back just to open up the area and then went back to the story. (no attacks needed when you go back). The Steppe and its branches are much more manageable once you complete the main story.
Plenty of areas to level in the main story w/o breaking away.

After beating the final bosses I started doing the hunts and I was half way through when I decided to quit for awhile. Just felt like I was grinding w/o purpose. It was fun to open up the Chocs though.
The same thing happened when I played FF XII, I did some of the hunts, but it just wasn't interesting enough to keep me engaged.

I really wish they would weave all of these into the main story. In both games they did this a little bit, but it wouldn't seem like mindless fighting as much if it was sprinkled throughout the game.

The other factor is that I have Heavy Rain and God of War III calling me.  icon_wink

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 03, 2010, 09:11:30 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on April 03, 2010, 05:37:34 PM

Quote from: Ridah on April 03, 2010, 04:46:10 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Bahamut

Spoiler for Hiden:

I think this was an Eidolon battle where you switch out for Vanille?

Yeah the boss was the toughest one for me at that point.  Once I figured out the correct paradigm pattern for him he was not too bad.  I really like the battle system in this game,  it is quite a bit of fun to tinker with.  so many possiblilities. 

Well, I was fully leveled (the alt chars too) in my main three roles at that point. It isn't necessary, but it definitely helps. I don't think I had any weapons leveled at that point.
Start by staying in the healing P like you are doing. You will need to do this for awhile.

Wait for the Eidolon to start backing off, and then start attacking while using a Sentinel P (I think you still have Delta with this group)
There is also a P that has Buff/Debuffs, I would try to use that for a turn or so.
Keep healing in between.

Cast Libra at the start if you can (Make sure that Combat Clinic? is your default P when you retry, just change it back when you are done)
Hit R1 during the battle to see what drives the Eidolon's gauge, I think his was healing and protecting as well as chains.

Good luck.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 04, 2010, 07:45:31 PM »

Nearing the end of Chapter 11, and just crossed the 50 hour mark.  It seemed inconceivable 6 hours ago, but I have all 6 characters completely maxed out on the Crystarium grid, and they're going through most enemies like buttah.  However, I'm biding my time right now because I peeked ahead in the guide and saw who was waiting for me at the end of this chapter.   icon_evil

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 04, 2010, 08:18:54 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 04, 2010, 07:45:31 PM

Nearing the end of Chapter 11, and just crossed the 50 hour mark.  It seemed inconceivable 6 hours ago, but I have all 6 characters completely maxed out on the Crystarium grid, and they're going through most enemies like buttah.  However, I'm biding my time right now because I peeked ahead in the guide and saw who was waiting for me at the end of this chapter.   icon_evil

There was a quote in Demon's Souls, "The real Demon's Souls starts here." The same quote can be used to describe FF XIII Chapters 11-13. (except replace "Demon's Souls" with FF XIII  slywink )
The boss and non-boss fights get really tough all the way to the end. Having maxed out roles and extra CP will go a long way in the final chapters.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 04, 2010, 09:44:21 PM »

And the Chapter 11 boss goes down, on the first try even.  All that level grinding I did that chapter sure paid off. 

And holy crap, what a cutscene!

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 04, 2010, 10:17:25 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 04, 2010, 09:44:21 PM

i know there're a few people up here who have no use for cutscenes in games, period. & all i can think sometimes is that they just haven't watched the right ones smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 05, 2010, 04:14:25 AM »

Well, shit.  I finally got Lightning's Axis Blade to star upgrade status, and was all excited to jump it up to tier 2.  I then found out the specific catalyst I need is only available for purchase through a specific shop, and that one shop only opens up when you complete Mark #7 on Gran Pulse.  Guess which mark I somehow missed while I was down there.   icon_evil

Oh, and...Claire?  Really?  ::snicker::

Quote from: semiconscious on April 04, 2010, 10:17:25 PM

Quote from: Gratch on April 04, 2010, 09:44:21 PM

i know there're a few people up here who have no use for cutscenes in games, period. & all i can think sometimes is that they just haven't watched the right ones smile ...

I'd seen pieces of that cutscene in all the previews, and was wondering if I'd somehow missed it in-game.  Glad I was wrong.  smile
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 04:23:32 AM by Gratch » Logged

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 05, 2010, 05:50:28 PM »

Well, shit.  I finally got Lightning's Axis Blade to star upgrade status, and was all excited to jump it up to tier 2.  I then found out the specific catalyst I need is only available for purchase through a specific shop, and that one shop only opens up when you complete Mark #7 on Gran Pulse.  Guess which mark I somehow missed while I was down there.

Yeah, and it just happens to be the most expensive catalyst in the game at over 200K in Gil.

I had leveled the Axis Blade to star as well and I was planning on using it, but I skipped the hunts until the end (except the ones woven into the main story)
I switched to Lionheart and leveled that up to a tier 2 star. I added the Speed Sash as a accessory.
It has a chance to instantly stagger any enemy NPC including Bosses, but in my experience it hardly ever executed. You are more likely to see it in a Boss fight though.  slywink

Knowing that experience I would have chosen another weapon or complete the hunts up to 7 to unlock R&D Depot. That shop also has the two best Mechanical components, UCRs and PAs

Oh and "Claire", as soon as I heard that I instantly though of John Bender in The Breakfast Club.

"Claire, that's a fat girl's name"
"I'm not fat"
"Not at present, but you have the potential to become fat"

Now imagine Snow is John Bender and you know who is Claire. Expect lots of punching, or two hits, Claire hitting him and Snow hitting the ground.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 05:53:33 PM by DamageInc » Logged

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: April 05, 2010, 06:20:41 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on April 05, 2010, 05:50:28 PM

Well, shit.  I finally got Lightning's Axis Blade to star upgrade status, and was all excited to jump it up to tier 2.  I then found out the specific catalyst I need is only available for purchase through a specific shop, and that one shop only opens up when you complete Mark #7 on Gran Pulse.  Guess which mark I somehow missed while I was down there.

Yeah, and it just happens to be the most expensive catalyst in the game at over 200K in Gil.

I had leveled the Axis Blade to star as well and I was planning on using it, but I skipped the hunts until the end (except the ones woven into the main story)
I switched to Lionheart and leveled that up to a tier 2 star. I added the Speed Sash as a accessory.
It has a chance to instantly stagger any enemy NPC including Bosses, but in my experience it hardly ever executed. You are more likely to see it in a Boss fight though.  slywink

Knowing that experience I would have chosen another weapon or complete the hunts up to 7 to unlock R&D Depot. That shop also has the two best Mechanical components, UCRs and PAs

Gil isn't a problem (at least right now), as I had over 650K before I bought all the components (Perfect Conductors, IIRC) to get up to star level.  Thought about doing another weapon, but doubt I'll bother.

BTW, is it worth it to upgrade accessories?  I've got the Whistlewind Scarf equipped (which gives an ATB speed boost) and when I upgrade it I get a message of "ATB Speed Up", but there's no indication of how much.  Not worth it if it's .01%, but definitely worth it if I can get an extra 5-10% boost.

Headed up against Proudclad tonight (nice nod there to FF VII  nod)...we'll see how that goes.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 05, 2010, 07:02:39 PM »

I'm at the end of Ch. 9, a few mobs and a Boss away from finishing it, and I can confirm that I'm hooked.  I hope the bosses don't get too hard for me; there have been a few dodgy spots to this point, but nothing quite hair-tearing or controller-throwing... so far.   ninja

I'm finally making a little bit of money - I had 3 or 4k for what seemed like forever, but am into 5 figures now.  I haven't farmed hardly at all, but I also haven't sold anything other than those two chips that aren't used in upgrading.  Hopefully, when I get to Ch. 11, I will have figured out the upgrading system enough to not waste money.

I'm really looking forward to the hunts, as the linearity of the first chapters is starting to bore me a little.  Just one more chapter (and a tad) to go!

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: April 05, 2010, 07:03:50 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 05, 2010, 06:20:41 PM

BTW, is it worth it to upgrade accessories?  I've got the Whistlewind Scarf equipped (which gives an ATB speed boost) and when I upgrade it I get a message of "ATB Speed Up", but there's no indication of how much.  Not worth it if it's .01%, but definitely worth it if I can get an extra 5-10% boost.

I'm still in the early game, but I was playing around with the system and upgraded a ring from +20 str to +60 str. That certainly indicates to me that you can get some good benefit from upgrading accessories.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 05, 2010, 07:32:50 PM »

down the final stretch, & strictly in order to prevent any unnecessary aggravation, i upgraded 3 cherub's crowns to seraph's crowns, which i then proceeded to star (null death - 60%). obviously, i can't say if they really helped or not, or if i just got lucky, but it kinda gave me a certain amount of peace of mind, which was cool smile ...

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 05, 2010, 07:47:33 PM »

some acc. you want to upgrade and disenchant for things like sprint shoes. some you want to update if you want trophies. they'll make things much easier. like adding an extra 500 str to your commandos
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 06, 2010, 12:21:13 AM »

Quote from: DamageInc on April 05, 2010, 05:50:28 PM

Gil isn't a problem (at least right now), as I had over 650K before I bought all the components (Perfect Conductors, IIRC) to get up to star level.  Thought about doing another weapon, but doubt I'll bother.

Headed up against Proudclad tonight (nice nod there to FF VII  nod)...we'll see how that goes.

Well there's a few posts that show the benefits  icon_wink

I upgraded a bunch, especially where some only have one level so it doesn't take much. Started using some of the inefficient Organic items to do this instead of selling them.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 06, 2010, 02:52:20 PM »

I couldn't make it past the Ch. 9 Boss and got tired of dying, so I was forced into the Upgrading system against my will.  I'd made just enough money to buy most of the items I guessed were required - so,  Fang has a "star" weapon and Lightning has a level 13 weapon.  Then I ran out of money, so I went with that and attacked Barthandalus.  I died once, but succeeded on the second try, so that was good.  Now I'm flat broke again, but at least the non-boss enemies should be easier for a little while, so if I have to farm it won't be quite so painful.

I know that it is more efficient to upgrade an item to the Star level, but I'm wondering what you do with the level 13... should I scrap it and start over when I have the money, or can I pick up where I left off on it?  Also, if I have five weapons for a character, is it okay to take the best weapon of the lot, stats-wise - or might other weapons end up better after Upgrading?

Last question, honest:  should I sell all components that have low XP ratings, or might they have a use eventually?  I've been saving everything so far, but I'd rather "clean house" on anything that is useless.

Thanks!   icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 06, 2010, 04:37:30 PM »

I have put it down for a few days after hitting chapter 11.  It feels so open that I am perhaps a bit overwhelmed but at the same time it is so empty that I am kind of bored.  It is just about going from fight to fight, to fight, to fight, etc.  I don't feel like the characters are growing of the story.  The fights are fun while I am doing them but afterwards I just feel like I didn't really do anything

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 06, 2010, 04:45:43 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on April 06, 2010, 04:37:30 PM

I have put it down for a few days after hitting chapter 11.  It feels so open that I am perhaps a bit overwhelmed but at the same time it is so empty that I am kind of bored.  It is just about going from fight to fight, to fight, to fight, etc.  I don't feel like the characters are growing of the story.  The fights are fun while I am doing them but afterwards I just feel like I didn't really do anything

I hit the Great Wall of China in this game, that being the Eidelon battle in chapter 10. It destroys me within a handful of attacks. The idea that I'm underpowered yet don't quite grasp the upgrade system and have no intention of grinding is daunting. I might just put the game on the shelf for a while, not sure when I'll ever get back to it.

Coming from Mass Effect 2, where all 40+ hours of my playthrough was a pleasure, I find it hard not to be turned off by the gameplay of FF13 at this point. Square has a thing or two to learn from Bioware in that department. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 04:50:15 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 06, 2010, 04:52:20 PM »

It is just about going from fight to fight, to fight, to fight, etc.  I don't feel like the characters are growing of the story. 

I'm in the middle of Ch 12 and I am starting to feel this way too.  I was genuinely interested in the story and character development at around the Ch 7 point but it seems to be going downhill from there.  Even Crystariam development isn't as much fun, they just expanded mine and all I get is some stat point upgrade paths and hardly any new skills.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 06, 2010, 04:56:23 PM »

People getting stuck on story bosses should probably focus on pure grinding of crys points rather than upgrading weapons.  I doubt the leveled up stats makes a huge difference.  But putting points into the HP spheres in at least 3 classes helps a lot.  I pretty much go for unlocking the green spheres first (Hitpoint) before I bother with Str/Magic.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 06, 2010, 05:46:58 PM »

I would have to agree with going for Crystalium (or whatever it is called) points rather than upgrading equipment.  I didn't upgrade squat until Chapter 11 and did fine.  It was upgrading skills, getting more HP, more STR, more MAG which really helps. 

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 06, 2010, 06:13:34 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 06, 2010, 04:45:43 PM

Square has a thing or two to learn from Bioware in that department. 

no. no they do not.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 06, 2010, 06:17:12 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on April 06, 2010, 06:13:34 PM

no. no they do not.

agreed - i'm thinking that's just some gamer angst, gt style smile ...

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 06, 2010, 06:25:43 PM »

no. no they do not.

Yes, yes they do.  (this seems kind of pointless...I don't think opinions will really change)

I found the story and characters much more interesting in ME2.  It was fun to follow the politician to try to find the assassin, it was cool to help the Salarian check the Genophage.  There has been nothing like that in FF13. 

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: April 06, 2010, 06:37:47 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on April 06, 2010, 06:25:43 PM

no. no they do not.

Yes, yes they do.  (this seems kind of pointless...I don't think opinions will really change)

I found the story and characters much more interesting in ME2.  It was fun to follow the politician to try to find the assassin, it was cool to help the Salarian check the Genophage.  There has been nothing like that in FF13. 

I only meant in regard to gameplay myself. I love the characters and storyline of FF13, but I'm not going to drag myself through tens of hours of painful gameplay to see my way through it. Not to mention I don't like the idea of having to do so much external research in order to understand certain elements of the gameplay.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 06:39:57 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 06, 2010, 06:42:36 PM »

It should be pretty obvious to anyone who has played the games that the characters in DAO/ME2 are deeper and more believable than any FF13 character.  I don't think it's the voice actor's fault, some of the dialog seems like Lucas got hold of the script.  I don't mind the Japanese quirkiness but I do mind the inconsistent and out of character things that the characters sometimes say or do.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 06, 2010, 06:43:11 PM »

Did you try checking a youtube video or something to see what their specific strategies were?  I don't recall the Chapter 10 bosses being very hard compared to some of the earlier ones.  While it was a bit too slow to open up early on, I think FF13 does a very good job with it's difficulty curve (up through Chapter 11 which is where I am now).  
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: April 06, 2010, 07:16:53 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on April 06, 2010, 06:25:43 PM

Yes, yes they do.  (this seems kind of pointless...I don't think opinions will really change)

agreed. myself, i've never understood the 'game i don't enjoy needs to learn from game i do enjoy' perspective. it's basically simply saying that all games should be designed in such a way so as to please whoever it is saying it smile ...

you got bored on pulse, i had a blast on pulse. conclusion: this has more to do with personal preferences than it does with me = good / ffxiii = not good...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 07:21:29 PM by semiconscious » Logged

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 06, 2010, 07:18:17 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 06, 2010, 06:43:11 PM

Did you try checking a youtube video or something to see what their specific strategies were?  I don't recall the Chapter 10 bosses being very hard compared to some of the earlier ones.  While it was a bit too slow to open up early on, I think FF13 does a very good job with it's difficulty curve (up through Chapter 11 which is where I am now).  

Aw, c'mon! You super-humans have to realize that there are a few of us "normals" that live on this GT planet with you!  Well, okay, I'm not quite up to normal, lol, but still!   slywink

I just beat the first boss in Ch. 10 - with all my characters' main skills maxed (plus all having Medic open for Cure), one "star" weapon and a level 13 one - and it took forever. I managed it on the second try, after wasting a very long time on the first fight and dying.  I'm really glad I made the paradigm for 3 medics, as it saved me on several occasions. Near the end, I had to heal practically every other move, so yeah, I was quite ready for the boss to be dead.  I remember thinking at the very end of the second try, feeling like I might quit the game if I had to do the fight one more time. 

I like a challenge sometimes - but this was rather painful... I wonder what ever happened to difficulty levels?   icon_eek

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: