http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 08:17:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Teen Angst, Japanese Style. The FFXIII Impressions Thread.  (Read 22295 times)
jersoc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2010, 07:43:54 PM »

wait until you get to chapter 8. that place is amazing looking. also I love the chocobo song that plays in the background there.

Not really sure how anyone can hate the art. game is stunning with its locale.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2010, 08:24:24 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 12, 2010, 07:41:35 PM

Quote from: Ridah on March 12, 2010, 07:39:53 PM

Is anyone else not feeling the level design/art direction? Cutscenes are beautiful but in-game is unimpressive to me. I'm still enjoying the game, especially the combat system, but unless I've just changed over the years FF7 and X were better from a graphics/character/story standpoint.

Couldn't disagree more.  This is one of the best looking games I've seen this generation.  I'm continually amazed at the art design in every new area that opens up. 

I'd agree with Kevin.  FF XIII may not have all the graphic bells & whistles some other games do, but I think the art direction is absolutely incredible. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2010, 08:47:40 PM »

I already said earlier, I love FF13's art design and graphics... looks freakin awesome.  Not sure what Ridah is looking at. =P
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2010, 08:50:15 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on March 12, 2010, 08:47:40 PM

I already said earlier, I love FF13's art design and graphics... looks freakin awesome. 

Especially after seeing how poorly other devs like Tri-Ace have transferred into the HD generation.  Japanese developers have had a very hard time figuring out how to make ultra-stylized graphics work at these resolutions and I think Square really nailed it here. 
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2010, 10:25:27 PM »

started chapter 6, &, as kg's mentioned, this game feels more'n'more like a more focused, cinematic successor to ffx:

Spoiler for Hiden:
i didn't see the pairing off of lightning/hope & sazh/vanille coming, & it works really well, imo. the one on one exchanges feel a lot more organic than the group scenes did (tho i appreciate that they were sorta necessary), & they've managed to at least get me to sympathize with the characters i'm not crazy about. overall,  the cast doesn't feel nearly as generic as the cast of ffviii did, which is a good thing smile ...

also, the paradigm system's become very interesting, & a lot of fun. combined with the stagger mechanic, it's keeping combat really fresh for me...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 13, 2010, 12:23:28 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on March 12, 2010, 08:47:40 PM

I already said earlier, I love FF13's art design and graphics... looks freakin awesome.  Not sure what Ridah is looking at. =P

Apparently I was looking at the earlier chapters, now I'm beginning to see some beautiful design towards the end of chapter 5/beginning of chapter 6.

The particular area that I had in mind when I was criticizing was that area with the piles of junk that Sahz and Vanille were making their way through and the beginning portion of the forest Light and Hope were in. It looked really bland.

In addition to the art getting better, the combat system continues to expand and I'm loving it more and more.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 13, 2010, 12:29:55 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on March 13, 2010, 12:23:28 AM

The particular area that I had in mind when I was criticizing was that area with the piles of junk that Sahz and Vanille were making their way through and the beginning portion of the forest Light and Hope were in. It looked really bland.

I agree that Chapter 4 is by far the blandest environment I've seen in the game.  However I frequently thought it looked pretty damn nice for a junkyard Tongue
warning

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 13, 2010, 02:32:31 AM »

Just got started on this tonight and I'm liking it so far.  Always interesting to see the new things they do with each iteration of the series.  I will say I was taken aback by the dude with the bird in his 'fro.  That's some strange character design.

Game looks great on the 360 and I think the music is well-done.  Very interested to see where this goes.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 13, 2010, 04:45:27 AM »

Quote from: warning on March 13, 2010, 02:32:31 AM

I will say I was taken aback by the dude with the bird in his 'fro.  That's some awesome character design.

Fixed that for you smile

Also liking the game but I'm not very far in yet.  Hopefully will get some more playtime this weekend.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 13, 2010, 05:32:41 AM »

Midway through Chapter 7, and the story keeps getting better.  Just found out the reason for the Australian accents, which I didn't see coming at all.  Very cool, and it's going to make things extremely interesting.  Out of curiosity, how far are you guys along time-wise?  I'm at about 17.5 hours in chapter 7...just wondering if that's about everyone else's pace too.

I am finding myself getting a little frustrated with combat lately.  Unless I manage to get a pre-emptive strike (which rarely happens, since most enemies are positioned facing directly towards you and don't move), I never get 5-star ratings any more.  Tough part is, I can't seem to figure out why.  I'm coming in well below the time limits and doing everything I can think of to dispatch the baddies in a hurry, but am always ending up with 3 or maybe 4 stars.  Wish I knew what I was doing wrong...

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 13, 2010, 05:54:50 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 13, 2010, 05:32:41 AM

Midway through Chapter 7, and the story keeps getting better.  Just found out the reason for the Australian accents, which I didn't see coming at all.  Very cool, and it's going to make things extremely interesting.  Out of curiosity, how far are you guys along time-wise?  I'm at about 17.5 hours in chapter 7...just wondering if that's about everyone else's pace too.

I am finding myself getting a little frustrated with combat lately.  Unless I manage to get a pre-emptive strike (which rarely happens, since most enemies are positioned facing directly towards you and don't move), I never get 5-star ratings any more.  Tough part is, I can't seem to figure out why.  I'm coming in well below the time limits and doing everything I can think of to dispatch the baddies in a hurry, but am always ending up with 3 or maybe 4 stars.  Wish I knew what I was doing wrong...

just about the same point in the game, & probably around the same amount of time (tho i've started backtracking/grinding a little bit)...

i still get a fair share of pre-emptive strikes, but there're times i feel i should get one & don't - kinda unpredictable, to an extent (i finally realized that you can just run right around big, slow enemies & whack them from behind, btw smile ). afa scoring, i've kinda given up - i'll get no stars after some encounters, but then i continue to get 5 stars pretty frequently, too - other than just being as decimating as possible, i'm not really sure what i'm doing right smile . i think pharaoh nails it pretty well:

Quote from: Pharaoh on March 12, 2010, 08:24:02 PM

Ya the secret to this game seems to be using Libra ASAP on new mobs, getting their info sheets tracked so your party knows what to do. Then its a matter of setting the autopilot on ability selection, and making sure your paradigms are matching the flow of the battle. Commando + X to build the stagger,  full ravager to make it trigger, and then commando + ravager to Launch and nuke em to death. Repeat as needed...

edit: also, am i the only one who's yet to buy or sell or modify anything?...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 05:57:12 AM by semiconscious » Logged

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 13, 2010, 07:23:50 AM »

I think I finished chapter 7 at 17 hours.

I'm at the end of 8 and I think i screwed my CP allotment. I might have to go back a save and get some cp then fight some bosses over :|
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 13, 2010, 07:42:34 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 13, 2010, 05:32:41 AM

Midway through Chapter 7, and the story keeps getting better.  Just found out the reason for the Australian accents, which I didn't see coming at all.  Very cool, and it's going to make things extremely interesting.  Out of curiosity, how far are you guys along time-wise?  I'm at about 17.5 hours in chapter 7...just wondering if that's about everyone else's pace too.

I am finding myself getting a little frustrated with combat lately.  Unless I manage to get a pre-emptive strike (which rarely happens, since most enemies are positioned facing directly towards you and don't move), I never get 5-star ratings any more.  Tough part is, I can't seem to figure out why.  I'm coming in well below the time limits and doing everything I can think of to dispatch the baddies in a hurry, but am always ending up with 3 or maybe 4 stars.  Wish I knew what I was doing wrong...

I'm a bit into Chapter 7 and I'm at 15.5 hours.

I would say that I get five stars at least 90% of the time even without pre-emptive strikes.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2010, 11:12:28 AM »

god damn chapter 8 boss can suck it. finally beat that sucker. into chapter 9 and lightning, hope and fang just destroy.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2010, 01:55:19 PM »

Quote from: ericb on March 13, 2010, 04:45:27 AM

Quote from: warning on March 13, 2010, 02:32:31 AM

I will say I was taken aback by the dude with the bird in his 'fro.  That's some awesome character design.

Fixed that for you smile

Also liking the game but I'm not very far in yet.  Hopefully will get some more playtime this weekend.

I was wondering at first what the heck was in his hair, thinking what is that - a pick? Heck no, it's a chick!  icon_lol I like the 'conversations' they have, in the Lake Bresh section now and when that whacko Vanille did an 'exit, stage right' pose and took off, the chick made the same gestures. Made me laugh.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2010, 02:02:51 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on March 13, 2010, 05:54:50 AM

i still get a fair share of pre-emptive strikes, but there're times i feel i should get one & don't - kinda unpredictable, to an extent (i finally realized that you can just run right around big, slow enemies & whack them from behind, btw smile ). afa scoring, i've kinda given up - i'll get no stars after some encounters, but then i continue to get 5 stars pretty frequently, too - other than just being as decimating as possible, i'm not really sure what i'm doing right smile . i think pharaoh nails it pretty well:

Quote from: Pharaoh on March 12, 2010, 08:24:02 PM

Ya the secret to this game seems to be using Libra ASAP on new mobs, getting their info sheets tracked so your party knows what to do. Then its a matter of setting the autopilot on ability selection, and making sure your paradigms are matching the flow of the battle. Commando + X to build the stagger,  full ravager to make it trigger, and then commando + ravager to Launch and nuke em to death. Repeat as needed...

I follow a very similar strategy on nearly every enemy.  Always use Libra the first time you meet them.  Slash & Burn (Com + Rav) until they get to around 30-40% of their gauge, Dualcasting (Rav + Rav) to bump up the rest to Stagger them, then back to Slash & Burn for heavy damage (i.e. Launch) while they're in stagger mode.  Add in some War & Peace (Com + Med) for healing and Supersoldier (Com + Syn) if I need some buffs.  Still rarely get 5-stars.  frown  Makes me wish I could watch some of you play so I can see what you're doing different.

Do you guys use Auto Battle, or are you inputting commands manually? 

edit: also, am i the only one who's yet to buy or sell or modify anything?...

I haven't sold or bought anything yet.  I did upgrade one of Lightning's weapons (Gladius, I think), but didn't go any further because I felt like I probably wasted a ton of resources because I had no idea what I was doing.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 13, 2010, 02:23:49 PM »

Why does it matter if you get 5 stars?  All it does it give you a slightly higher chance of rare loot, right?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 13, 2010, 02:52:03 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on March 13, 2010, 02:23:49 PM

Why does it matter if you get 5 stars?  All it does it give you a slightly higher chance of rare loot, right?

It also fills up your Technical Points (TP) bar, which you use for summons and the Libra ability.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 13, 2010, 03:06:38 PM »

The guide notes that more stars equals a higher rare loot drop and TP growth as noted and lower stars equals higher shroud drops. Rates inside:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Rate loot drops: 3=1x, 4=3x, 5=5x, under three = none.
Shroud drops: 3-5 = normal drop rates, 2=2x, 1=4x and 0=8x.

The guide also mentioned that early on there's nothing to shop for and to save your Gil and hoard everything you pick up "until later" but I haven't looked ahead to see when that might be.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 13, 2010, 03:25:38 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 13, 2010, 02:02:51 PM

i use auto 99% of the time...

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 13, 2010, 04:41:05 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 13, 2010, 02:52:03 PM

It also fills up your Technical Points (TP) bar, which you use for summons and the Libra ability.

Yeah, but you can also refill your TP inside a battle too... just by using attacks on all of your AP bars (or something like that).
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 13, 2010, 04:47:33 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on March 13, 2010, 04:41:05 PM

Yeah, but you can also refill your TP inside a battle too... just by using attacks on all of your AP bars (or something like that).

Really?  That's news to me...I've never seen the TP bar increase during battle.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 13, 2010, 05:28:28 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 13, 2010, 04:47:33 PM

Why does it matter if you get 5 stars?  All it does it give you a slightly higher chance of rare loot, right?

Really?  That's news to me...I've never seen the TP bar increase during battle.

You have to execute full ATB chains.  Maybe someone else can explain it better.

I can't remember if it actually refills in the middle of battle or just afterwards on the summary screen.  But you can definitely refill TP just by fighting.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 13, 2010, 07:06:33 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on March 13, 2010, 05:28:28 PM

Quote from: Gratch on March 13, 2010, 04:47:33 PM

Really?  That's news to me...I've never seen the TP bar increase during battle.

You have to execute full ATB chains.  Maybe someone else can explain it better.

I can't remember if it actually refills in the middle of battle or just afterwards on the summary screen.  But you can definitely refill TP just by fighting.

I think it's just in the summary screen.  Even if  twas in battle it would probably have to last like 20 minutes to filll up enough TP to do another summon. 
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 13, 2010, 07:53:01 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on March 13, 2010, 03:25:38 PM

yeah... that stops real fast.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 13, 2010, 09:49:56 PM »

I just read at the RPGamer forum that the voice actor for Lightning also voices another popular RPG character.  I never would have made the connection without reading about it, but I can definitely hear the similarities now that I know who it is.

Spoiler for Hiden:
It's Liara from Mass Effect/2.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 13, 2010, 10:02:23 PM »

Nice find... yeah I can hear the similarities now that you bring it up.

They should have gotten Nolan North for Snow though.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 13, 2010, 11:00:56 PM »

Checked out IMDB for the voice cast, and found out that Vanille's voice actress is teh hawtness

Spoiler for Hiden:

Yowza.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: March 13, 2010, 11:32:50 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on March 13, 2010, 10:02:23 PM

They should have gotten Nolan North for Snow though.

Oh hell no. Mr. Uncharted Man has been in way too many games as it is.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 13, 2010, 11:37:08 PM »

That is, of course, after you cast Libra, correct? biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2010, 01:19:43 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on March 13, 2010, 11:37:08 PM

That is, of course, after you cast Libra, correct? biggrin

correct smile ...

Quote from: jersoc on March 13, 2010, 07:53:01 PM

yeah... that stops real fast.

you mean it doesn't work so well after a while?...

just beat the chapter 7 final boss:

Spoiler for Hiden:
used diversity, with periodic evened odds & discretion - protracted, but effective enough for 4 stars smile ...

the eidolons are proving to be about as useful as they were in ffxii, which's fine by me (tho, as the guide mentions, they are very handy as a final resort measure). & it's official - i'm beginning to really love this game. it is cinematically oriented, but i've never had a problem with that. i've been very satisfied with the story, how the characters've developed, how the plot line has slowly revealed itself, & how challenging the combat can sometimes be - it all feels well thought out, & the game's pretty much firing on all cylinders for me right now smile ...

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2010, 02:08:47 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on March 14, 2010, 01:19:43 AM

it's official - i'm beginning to really love this game. it is cinematically oriented, but i've never had a problem with that. i've been very satisfied with the story, how the characters've developed, how the plot line has slowly revealed itself, & how challenging the combat can sometimes be - it all feels well thought out, & the game's pretty much firing on all cylinders for me right now smile ...

Pretty much exactly how I feel (and I'm pretty much at the same point in the game).  I doubt it will be one of my favorites of the series but it's fantastic game and totally worthy of the series. 
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2010, 02:22:55 AM »

ok I'm at chapter 10 and I'm really liking it so far. Combat us fast, smooth, and strategic. Game looks and sounds incredible..... But only one thing I really hate
Spoiler for Hiden:
Hope. Young, angsty, stupid and cowardly. If I was Snow or Lightning, I would have backhanded him everytime he opened his dumbass mouth

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 14, 2010, 02:40:44 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on March 14, 2010, 02:22:55 AM

But only one thing I really hate
Spoiler for Hiden:
Hope. Young, angsty, stupid and cowardly. If I was Snow or Lightning, I would have backhanded him everytime he opened his dumbass mouth

Spoiler for Hiden:
me, i've kinda made peace with hope - he was in way over his head from the get-go, & curled up in a ball accordingly smile . not to mention, he initially was getting dragged around by the seemingly clueless vanille, which'd further rattle just about anyone smile ...

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2010, 03:04:56 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 14, 2010, 02:08:47 AM

it's official - i'm beginning to really love this game. it is cinematically oriented, but i've never had a problem with that. i've been very satisfied with the story, how the characters've developed, how the plot line has slowly revealed itself, & how challenging the combat can sometimes be - it all feels well thought out, & the game's pretty much firing on all cylinders for me right now smile ...
Pretty much exactly how I feel (and I'm pretty much at the same point in the game).  I doubt it will be one of my favorites of the series but it's fantastic game and totally worthy of the series. 

Totally agree, even though I'm 'only' on Chapter 5. Combat is anything but boring - I'm CONSTANTLY shifting between Paradigms to take advantage of weaknesses, Stagger, heal, etc. And yes, the game doesn't hold back in the slightest - odds are good you will die quite a few times during the course of your adventure.

Oh - and I don't use Auto Attack at all. Tongue

One question - when's a good time to start upgrading your weapons/items? Any suggestions? I still haven't used a single item to level up anything.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 14, 2010, 03:57:51 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 14, 2010, 02:08:47 AM

Pretty much exactly how I feel (and I'm pretty much at the same point in the game).  I doubt it will be one of my favorites of the series but it's fantastic game and totally worthy of the series.  

I think we're all on the same pace, as I just wrapped up Chapter 7 as well.  smile  A couple thoughts on the story and characters so far:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm really enjoying it so far, and honestly think it's one of the best in the FF series.  The characters all seem very human, the storyline is very clear, and there haven't been many of the typical head-scratcher, WTF-just-happened moments like in previous games.  I thought the resolution between both Hope and Snow and Lightning and Snow was handled very well.  Seeing Snow break down when he found out who Hope actually was is one of my favorite moments of the game so far.  Lightning's previous bitchiness makes a lot more sense now, and I think they're doing a great job at developing her character from a bitter, "I hate everyone" persona to a conflicted soul who has seen both sides of the situation.  About the only thing that really isn't working for me is the Sazh/Vanille pairing.  I actually really like both characters individually, but I keep getting this undercurrent of creepy-old-man from Sazh.  One scene in particular gave me a big WTF; when the chocobo chick flew in front of his face as he was checking out Vanille's ass.  That was really strange, and not the direction I was hoping that relationship would go.  

Unless this thing falls off a cliff in the second half (which, by all accounts, it doesn't), FF XIII may end up being one of my favorite FF games.  Surprisingly, I find myself not missing banal NPC conversations, open towns, or a multitude of shops one bit.   The cinematic narrative is incredibly well done, and having a cast of characters that I've been able to really connect with is making it a great gaming experience so far.  I've said it already, but it bears repeating.  I am astounded by the number of critics who bashed this game for a weak story and characters.  Honestly, what game were they playing?   retard
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 04:00:45 AM by Gratch » Logged

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 14, 2010, 06:56:33 AM »

Just finished Chapter 8.  I cannot believe they just...

MAJOR END OF CHAPTER 8 SPOILER
Spoiler for Hiden:
killed off Sazh.  That can't be permanent...can it?

On a side note, as a relatively new dad, that was a tough sequence to watch.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 02:38:11 PM by Gratch » Logged

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 14, 2010, 07:02:21 AM »

Keep playing...

If you really want the answer:

Spoiler for Hiden:
  Nope.  He's not dead.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2010, 07:26:09 AM »

ok I'm at chapter 10 and I'm really liking it so far. Combat us fast, smooth, and strategic. Game looks and sounds incredible..... But only one thing I really hate
Spoiler for Hiden:

how can you be in chapter 10 and still think that about Hope? You're insane or you completely missed a vital awesome chapter.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 14, 2010, 07:33:43 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on March 14, 2010, 07:26:09 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

how can you be in chapter 10 and still think that about Hope? You're insane or you completely missed a vital awesome chapter.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I know he "mans" up, but it's just his earlier dialogue and actions during the beginning that turned me off to him as a character.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: