http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 09:41:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Teen Angst, Japanese Style. The FFXIII Impressions Thread.  (Read 21231 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2010, 12:43:40 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on March 11, 2010, 06:09:23 AM

afa vanille: after her most recent pre- boss encounter performance, i'm just gonna go with her as being mildly delayed. seriously. if you accept the fact that she's not playing with a full deck, it actually goes a long way in explaining much of her 'inappropriate' behavior smile ...

icon_lol icon_lol  You're right, looking at her in that light does make some sense...

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2010, 01:31:02 PM »

All I know after a little over one hour of play is  eek  holy crap the graphics are amazing on my 40 inch HDTV.  Best game graphics I have ever seen. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2010, 03:18:17 PM »

It was fun taking a day off to game yesterday, I haven't done that in a long time.  smile  Got to the 12.5 hour mark last night, just started Disc 2.  A couple more thoughts:

-  I unlocked the crafting/upgrade system last night, but it makes no sense at all.  Something about certain upgrades providing higher EXP while lowering other stats...it's all very confusing.  The guide says it's not really worth bothering with for a while, so I think I'm going to leave it alone for now.  However, if anyone can throw out an explanation, I'm all ears.

-  Eidolons are very cool, but are also a bit confusing.  Using them in normal combat mode seems to makes sense (they're basically just stronger versions of your characters), but I'm lost on the whole "gestalt mode" thing.  There were some sort of fighting game-esque button combinations that had something to do with a countdown timer, but there was so much stuff flashing around on the screen that I couldn't make sense of any of it.  I'm hoping the summons are similar to FF XII, in that you don't really have to use them that often.

-   I think I like the Paradigm system even more than FF XII's Gambits, which is quite unexpected.  I thought that Paradigms combined with Auto-Combat would create a very dull system, but I was dead wrong.  Combat is frantic, strategic, and very engaging.  The biggest "a-ha" moment for me was figuring out that its absolutely necessary to constantly keep changing Paradigms during a fight.  I got into the habit early on of switching Paradigms, then leaving them for a round or two before moving to something else.  Enemies have gotten to the point now that I'll need to jump back and forth between different Paradigms very quickly if I want to survive, even sniff the 5-star rating.  The only problem with the system is that once you figure out how to beat a particular enemy, they're not particularly challenging.  Thankfully, the game combats this by including multiple enemy types in the same encounter.  Some of these can get really crazy, and I love having to strategically think about how I'm going to switch between Paradigms in order to succeed. 

-  Speaking of 5-star, is there really any penalty for getting low combat ratings, and does the post-battle score ever mean anything?  I seem to be getting the same loot drops and CP regardless of how many stars I get, so I'm not really seeing the point.  Maybe that's something that gets explained later on...

-  Although I've bitched about both Vanille and Lightning, I do think that the story and characters (so far) have been one of the strongest FF casts in a while.  I'm completely baffled by the reviews that trashed FF XIII for having a weak story.  They must have played a very different game than I'm playing, as this has been a very engaging tale so far.

I can certainly see how FF XIII won't click for everyone, but I'm extremely happy with what I've played so far.  I can certainly see myself doing a 80+ hour run with this one, just like I did with FF XII.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2010, 03:20:01 PM »

I just want to come in here and say that I really like Vanille.  She's cute and a little off and that makes her just fine in my book.  Not sure what all the hate was on her.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2010, 03:22:49 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 11, 2010, 03:18:17 PM

-  Speaking of 5-star, is there really any penalty for getting low combat ratings, and does the post-battle score ever mean anything?  I seem to be getting the same loot drops and CP regardless of how many stars I get, so I'm not really seeing the point.  Maybe that's something that gets explained later on...

I believe the battle rating determines the likelihood that you will get rare drops and also how much TP you recover after the battle.  

For me, I'm enjoying the game more with the mini-map off.  Things don't feel as on-rails when you don't know which branch is the critical path and it makes you explore the environment more looking for secret locations.  Honestly with the map off the dungeon layouts don't feel any more linear than most of FFX's dungeons.  

The minimap to me serves a similar function as the trails from Fable 2 and Dead Space.  
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2010, 03:28:02 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 11, 2010, 03:22:49 PM

For me, I'm enjoying the game more with the mini-map off.  Things don't feel as on-rails when you don't know which branch is the critical path and it makes you explore the environment more looking for secret locations.  Honestly with the map off the dungeon layouts don't feel any more linear than most of FFX's dungeons.  

The minimap to me serves a similar function as the trails from Fable 2 and Dead Space.  

Even with the mini-map on, I don't think they are any more linear than FFX.  I sit there and play and think....what is everyone's deal?  This is typical Final Fantasy.  In my opinion, FFXII was probably the anomaly, and besides the story and characters in that one, I wasn't exactly excited about the battle system in that game.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2010, 03:33:33 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 11, 2010, 03:28:02 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 11, 2010, 03:22:49 PM

For me, I'm enjoying the game more with the mini-map off.  Things don't feel as on-rails when you don't know which branch is the critical path and it makes you explore the environment more looking for secret locations.  Honestly with the map off the dungeon layouts don't feel any more linear than most of FFX's dungeons. 

Even with the mini-map on, I don't think they are any more linear than FFX.

Oh, I agree that the dungeon layouts generally arent more linear.  It's just that when you have a map sitting in the corner that basically says "go here to win" and shows whether a branch is a dead-end or not, it takes away even the limited amount of exploration that FFX had. FFX had a mini-map as well but I don't recall it being so blatant about showing critical paths.

I sit there and play and think....what is everyone's deal?  This is typical Final Fantasy.  In my opinion, FFXII was probably the anomaly, and besides the story and characters in that one, I wasn't exactly excited about the battle system in that game.

I agree (except that I loved FFX's battle system.  One of the best pure-turn based systems in my mind).  FF13 feels exactly like the next game from the team that made FFX (which it is).  FF12 is absolutely an anomaly but even then you can see how the gambits very much influenced the paradigms and auto-battles in FF13. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2010, 03:38:05 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 11, 2010, 03:20:01 PM

I just want to come in here and say that I really like Vanille.  She's cute and a little off and that makes her just fine in my book.  Not sure what all the hate was on her.

She's gotten a lot less grating over the last few hours.  Not sure if that's a function of better writing or the fact that I'm getting used to her.  I'm leaning more towards the former, as some of her cutscenes with Sazh were fantastic.  Especially the one where
Spoiler for Hiden:
they find a spot to rest up for the night, Vanille draws a line around her "space", then she ends up huddled next to Sazh (waaaaaay outside of her "space) in the middle of the night.  I thought that was very sweet.
 She's become more of an actual character and less of a chirpy anime stereotype, which is a very good thing.

Quote from: Kevin Grey
I believe the battle rating determines the likelihood that you will get rare drops and also how much TP you recover after the battle.  

You're right, I forgot about TP recovery.  I imagine that will get more important later on, especially if summoning Eidolons becomes more of a necessity.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 03:41:20 PM by Gratch » Logged

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2010, 03:42:33 PM »

On Transformers: I think you need to wait for the Gestalt to go up (builds faster from chaining).  The more gestalt, the more points you will have to execute those special moves when you summon it.  If you don't want to manually do the moves, just select the first option (auto gestalt?).

Crafting: I'm confused too which item to use but the upgrades seem to significantly improve the weapon.  To the point where most of the loot I'm getting is a lot worse than my upgraded weapons.  I'm guessing that what matters is the ratio between Str/Magic (as well as any special effects attached to the weapon).  So if you want to min/max on Strength, you upgrade the hell out of a weapon which has High Str/Low Magic.

Higher battle rating gives more TP which means more summons or Libra.

I'm surprised some of you don't get the linear complaints.  It's not typical FF where you can't go back to old areas and towns.  So far there is none of that in the first 12ish hours.  If that never changes, then the complaints sound legitimate to me.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2010, 03:48:38 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 11, 2010, 03:33:33 PM

I agree (except that I loved FFX's battle system.  One of the best pure-turn based systems in my mind).  FF13 feels exactly like the next game from the team that made FFX (which it is).  FF12 is absolutely an anomaly but even then you can see how the gambits very much influenced the paradigms and auto-battles in FF13. 

Dunno, FF13 seems like a bigger departure to me.  In FF12, I could still jump to any party member and issue commands.  Taking that away is a big change from the FF combat dynamic I'm used to.  More than any other FF game, FF13 makes me feel like I'm a general nudging my troops on strategy rather than individually executing every action.  I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that it's very different from any other FF.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2010, 03:49:02 PM »

Quote from: skystride on March 11, 2010, 03:42:33 PM

I'm surprised some of you don't get the linear complaints.  It's not typical FF where you can't go back to old areas and towns.  So far there is none of that in the first 12ish hours.  If that never changes, then the complaints sound legitimate to me.

I'm specifically talking about dungeon designs (ie the stuff that connected the towns in FFX) and my comparison is specifically to FFX which was much less linear than other Final Fantasies.  And IIRC in FFX while you could technically backtrack to the previous town you weren't going to go much farther until you got the airship at the very, very end because you had to traverse everything in real time.  So once you entered a dungeon the only reason to go back to the previous town was either to buy new stuff or to rest and I'm pleased with how they handled those issues in FF13 since the game is long enough without making me replay portions of dungeons I've already cleared. 

The effect the actual loss of towns has the on the game and it's pacing is something different that really doesn't have anything to do with linearity and I'm still too early into the game to form much of an opinion.  However given my love of SRPGs, which typically don't have any town exploration to speak of, I'm probably less bothered by it than most. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2010, 03:52:01 PM »

Quote from: skystride on March 11, 2010, 03:42:33 PM

I'm surprised some of you don't get the linear complaints.  It's not typical FF where you can't go back to old areas and towns.  So far there is none of that in the first 12ish hours.  If that never changes, then the complaints sound legitimate to me.

I totally understand that it would drive people used to open-world games nuts, but I personally don't find the linearity to be problematic.  In fact, I much prefer it to the "where the hell am I supposed to go next" feeling you'd get from some of the previous FF games.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2010, 03:54:11 PM »

Quote from: skystride on March 11, 2010, 03:48:38 PM

Dunno, FF13 seems like a bigger departure to me.  In FF12, I could still jump to any party member and issue commands.  Taking that away is a big change from the FF combat dynamic I'm used to.  More than any other FF game, FF13 makes me feel like I'm a general nudging my troops on strategy rather than individually executing every action.  I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that it's very different from any other FF.

I did very little micro-managing in FF12 so my use of gambits in FF12 was very much akin to the idea of a "general nudging his troops".  FF13 just moves that into a more traditional FF lineup.  So far the AI seems good so I don't feel like I'm losing anything from assigning a character the role of Saboteur instead of manually inputting commands to DeProtect and DeShell.  The end result to me is the same- I made a decision and the game implemented it but in FF13 it's done in a faster and more dynamic manner than it would be in previous FF games.  
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2010, 03:54:43 PM »

No towns and no backtracking don't bother me at all.  If no backtracking is all that makes a FF game non-linear, that's not exactly not linear, is it?  Yeah, you can go backwards on the line, but to what point, really?  I thought people were complaining that they didn't have a scenario where there were 6 places to choose from to go to next and they could do them in any order.  At least it makes sense to me now, but I don't think going back to a town you visited is freedom, exactly.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2010, 03:56:49 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 11, 2010, 03:49:02 PM

And IIRC in FFX while you could technically backtrack to the previous town you weren't going to go much farther until you got the airship at the very, very end because you had to traverse everything in real time.  So once you entered a dungeon the only reason to go back to the previous town was either to buy new stuff or to rest

Wasn't there a side quest in FFX that made you go back to a lot of the older areas?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2010, 03:58:50 PM »

My only gripe with combat are the rare occasions where you have everyone simply standing around waiting for their ATB bars to charge up.   It happens far more often in parties of two than with three, but waiting for everyone's actions to fire off can sometimes look a little awkward.  Especially as your characters get more ATB bars, which means things will be charging longer.

And before you say it, yes I do know you can hit Y to shoot off any queued actions.  smile

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2010, 04:01:07 PM »

Quote from: skystride on March 11, 2010, 03:56:49 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 11, 2010, 03:49:02 PM

And IIRC in FFX while you could technically backtrack to the previous town you weren't going to go much farther until you got the airship at the very, very end because you had to traverse everything in real time.  So once you entered a dungeon the only reason to go back to the previous town was either to buy new stuff or to rest

Wasn't there a side quest in FFX that made you go back to a lot of the older areas?

I know there was one where you could gradually learn to read those cryptic stones that were laying around.  I'm sure there were others that I'm forgetting.  My key point is that unless I'm forgetting some kind of warp function you got before the airship (and maybe I am since it has been years), it generally wasn't worth the time and random enemy nuisance to go back more than a single town since that would entail going back through almost every single dungeon and town you already cleared.  
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2010, 05:18:18 PM »

I think when people complain about the linearity, it's not necessarily about the dungeon design.  Like we've talked about, a lot of previous FF dungeons were basically the same.  Nor is it just about 'backtracking' to previous towns with nothing to do.

I think it's more about if there are plenty of optional sidequests and minigames, and optional open-world exploration.  Not a 'mandatory' open-world design like Fallout 3 or Oblivion, that's never what FF has been about.  But most reviews have stated that there are no sidequests/minigames/optional areas and bosses... if that is actually true, then it's a serious disappointment and totally legit criticism.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2010, 05:27:32 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on March 11, 2010, 05:18:18 PM

I think it's more about if there are plenty of optional sidequests and minigames, and optional open-world exploration.  Not a 'mandatory' open-world design like Fallout 3 or Oblivion, that's never what FF has been about.  But most reviews have stated that there are no sidequests/minigames/optional areas and bosses... if that is actually true, then it's a serious disappointment and totally legit criticism.

I guess I just keep going back to FFX because it also suffered in these areas but is generally held up as one of the best in the series.  FFX had no open-world exploration (even when you get the airship 80% through the game it's just selecting points on a map), one significant minigame that was quite polarizing, and a handful of rather slight sidequests. 

That's why I think FF13 is such a natural extension of FF10.  With FF10 it was very clear that they wanted to create a very directed, cinematic experience and structured the game to to make players focus on that to the expense of the distractions that previous games had.  And while some people definitely didn't care for that approach fin 10, it was generally very well received.  So with 13 they further evolved the gameplay systems with the same directed and cinematic goal in mind but now people are reacting with shock and confusion like such steps are unprecidented in the series. 

FWIW, there are sidequests, optional areas and bosses but it doesn't occur until very late in the game.  But, from what I've read, you can spend the equivalent of the entire game before that in that area (20 hours) if you so choose.  Probably too late for many, true, but again it's the exact same thing that FFX did with the Calm Lands and Airship. 

To me FF13 feels like the natural evolution of FF7,8, and 10.   
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2010, 05:34:13 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 11, 2010, 03:54:11 PM

Quote from: skystride on March 11, 2010, 03:48:38 PM

Dunno, FF13 seems like a bigger departure to me.  In FF12, I could still jump to any party member and issue commands.  Taking that away is a big change from the FF combat dynamic I'm used to.  More than any other FF game, FF13 makes me feel like I'm a general nudging my troops on strategy rather than individually executing every action.  I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that it's very different from any other FF.

I did very little micro-managing in FF12 so my use of gambits in FF12 was very much akin to the idea of a "general nudging his troops".  FF13 just moves that into a more traditional FF lineup.  So far the AI seems good so I don't feel like I'm losing anything from assigning a character the role of Saboteur instead of manually inputting commands to DeProtect and DeShell.  The end result to me is the same- I made a decision and the game implemented it but in FF13 it's done in a faster and more dynamic manner than it would be in previous FF games.  

The end result might be the same but you also lose something in this simplification.  There was something fun about taking control of any character and casting a cool spell, you could do this in every FF until now.  But now I feel there is some sort of dis-attachment from the playable characters.  Even if I never use manual control, I prefer the option to be there.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2010, 05:39:09 PM »

Quote from: skystride on March 11, 2010, 05:34:13 PM

The same but you also lose something in this simplification.  There was something fun about taking control of any character and casting a cool spell, you could do this in every FF until now.  But now I feel there is some sort of dis-attachment from the playable characters.  Even if I never use manual control, I prefer the option to be there.

Personally I like AI options as long as they are well done.  Actually gives me more attachment to the characters, not less, because with them making the decisions (even under my guidance) it feels more like they are individual characters. If a party member does something especially cool and saves my bacon it creates the same type of character interaction to me that I would get from them doing something in a cutscene.   

For that reason, I never really minded that you could control only the main character in Persona 3 even though I know it drove a lot of people batty.  Even in the Tales series I spend 90% of my time just controlling the main character in battle and I usually only switch because I feel like I'm missing something in the combat system if I don't.

Speaking of which, for some reason the combat in FF13 reminds me of combat in the Tales series. 
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2010, 05:49:17 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 11, 2010, 05:27:32 PM

Quote from: KePoW on March 11, 2010, 05:18:18 PM

I guess I just keep going back to FFX because it also suffered in these areas but is generally held up as one of the best in the series.  FFX had no open-world exploration (even when you get the airship 80% through the game it's just selecting points on a map), one significant minigame that was quite polarizing, and a handful of rather slight sidequests. 

That's why I think FF13 is such a natural extension of FF10.  With FF10 it was very clear that they wanted to create a very directed, cinematic experience and structured the game to to make players focus on that to the expense of the distractions that previous games had.  And while some people definitely didn't care for that approach fin 10, it was generally very well received.  So with 13 they further evolved the gameplay systems with the same directed and cinematic goal in mind but now people are reacting with shock and confusion like such steps are unprecidented in the series. 

FWIW, there are sidequests, optional areas and bosses but it doesn't occur until very late in the game.  But, from what I've read, you can spend the equivalent of the entire game before that in that area (20 hours) if you so choose.  Probably too late for many, true, but again it's the exact same thing that FFX did with the Calm Lands and Airship.

I'm fine with that if that's how FF13 does it, even if it's late in the game.  That's when I like to grind all the optional stuff anyway.

As for FF10, it's been so long that I honestly don't remember many details at all.  But I could have sworn that there were plenty of optional things to do?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2010, 06:11:29 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on March 11, 2010, 05:49:17 PM

As for FF10, it's been so long that I honestly don't remember many details at all.  But I could have sworn that there were plenty of optional things to do?

It's been years for me too so I just pulled out my FFX strategy guide.  Side quests are covered in only 8 pages (out of 250+) and seem to consist of:

Lightning Dodger (surely no one thought that was fun?)
Butterfly Catcher
Village of the Cactaurs
Chocobo Trainer
Monster Arena

And the those last three are only available in the late game when you get to the Calm Lands and the airship.  There are also the Ultimate Weapons and some Hidden Aeons but, again, all were at the very, very end of the game. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2010, 06:22:34 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 11, 2010, 06:11:29 PM

It's been years for me too so I just pulled out my FFX strategy guide.  Side quests are covered in only 8 pages (out of 250+) and seem to consist of:

Butterfly Catcher
Village of the Cactaurs
Chocobo Trainer
Monster Arena

And the those last three are only available in the late game when you get to the Calm Lands and the airship.  There are also the Ultimate Weapons and some Hidden Aeons but, again, all were at the very, very end of the game. 

Y'know, I finished FFX twice, and don't remember doing any of those side quests.  Even if they were present, they certainly weren't very memorable.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2010, 06:41:17 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 11, 2010, 06:11:29 PM

Butterfly Catcher
Village of the Cactaurs
Chocobo Trainer
Monster Arena

LOL, I remember lightning dodger.  That definitely was *not* fun, but I actually ended up doing the long streak one you needed for something... took forever and many tries.

As for the strat guide, I remember there were not many pages devoted to sidequests.  BUT as I recall, that's only because the guide authors chose to do it that way.  It's not because there weren't a lot of optional things in the game...it still took a long time to do everything 100%.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2010, 07:05:48 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on March 11, 2010, 06:41:17 PM

As for the strat guide, I remember there were not many pages devoted to sidequests.  BUT as I recall, that's only because the guide authors chose to do it that way.  It's not because there weren't a lot of optional things in the game...it still took a long time to do everything 100%.

I'll take another look tonight but I've played the game twice and I can't remember there being much to do optionally until the very end of the game so the stuff in the strat guide tracks with my memory. 

I think the time sink stuff in FFX was from grinding out battles in order to be able to do the end game optional stuff.  But again, most of that content was at the very end of the game. 
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2010, 07:22:46 PM »

Do we know for sure that this game doesn't throw out some optional stuff in the end?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2010, 07:28:25 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 11, 2010, 07:22:46 PM

Do we know for sure that this game doesn't throw out some optional stuff in the end?

I'm pretty sure that there is a huge amount of optional content at the end.  Most of the complaints I've seen are that it should have been in the game earlier. 

If people want to know where the huge amount of optional stuff is, it's supposed to be in Chapter

Spoiler for Hiden:

Also, I believe that you can continue playing even after the credits but I'm not 100% on that one. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2010, 07:36:06 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 11, 2010, 07:28:25 PM

Also, I believe that you can continue playing even after the credits but I'm not 100% on that one.  

The guide makes a few mentions of "post-credits gameplay", so I'm pretty sure there's stuff available to do.  A first for the series, iirc.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2010, 07:54:20 PM »

in the middle of chapter 7 and shit is hitting the fan now. game is getting good.

actually in terms in vanille. you'll see soon enough that helps explain her behaviour.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 09:08:20 PM by jersoc » Logged
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2010, 08:38:43 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 11, 2010, 12:43:40 PM

Quote from: semiconscious on March 11, 2010, 06:09:23 AM

afa vanille: after her most recent pre- boss encounter performance, i'm just gonna go with her as being mildly delayed. seriously. if you accept the fact that she's not playing with a full deck, it actually goes a long way in explaining much of her 'inappropriate' behavior smile ...

icon_lol icon_lol  You're right, looking at her in that light does make some sense...
She is...special.  Where was someone like her when I was Hope's age? 
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2010, 10:24:56 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on March 09, 2010, 10:31:33 PM

Anyone know what the special item you get for registering the game is?  It looks like the site is getting hammered.

Didn't see this answered anywhere and having just registered my game... you get a code that allows you a "secret in-game item" and the chance to be a beta tester for - Final Fantasy XIV.  icon_neutral

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2010, 10:48:55 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on March 11, 2010, 10:24:56 PM

Anyone know what the special item you get for registering the game is?  It looks like the site is getting hammered.

Didn't see this answered anywhere and having just registered my game... you get a code that allows you a "secret in-game item" and the chance to be a beta tester for - Final Fantasy XIV.  icon_neutral

The secret in-game item is for FF14, not FF13.  This is if you got the PS3 version of the game.

The code for the 360 version gives you an avatar item.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2010, 11:01:27 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on March 11, 2010, 10:48:55 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on March 11, 2010, 10:24:56 PM

Anyone know what the special item you get for registering the game is?  It looks like the site is getting hammered.

Didn't see this answered anywhere and having just registered my game... you get a code that allows you a "secret in-game item" and the chance to be a beta tester for - Final Fantasy XIV.  icon_neutral

The secret in-game item is for FF14, not FF13.  This is if you got the PS3 version of the game.

The code for the 360 version gives you an avatar item.

Right, the "and" part above (plus the dash) were meant to convey the fact that both goodies applied to FF14. Ah well.  icon_frown And yes, this was for the PS3 code, didn't realize it was different on the 360.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 11:03:05 PM by MonkeyFinger » Logged

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2010, 11:17:25 PM »

Things became much more interesting once the paradigms opened up and I could advance the characters.  Battles are much more involved and fun.

I like all the changes so far from past FF games.  Better?  It's still pretty early so I'm not sure yet, but it's a nice change and it seems to work well. 
Maybe I'm getting old, but I like the linearity of this one.  I'm marking it as a benefit rather than a detriment.  I don't have to worry about wandering about and I can just sit down and get into the story.

I'm glad they gave Hope a more mature voice and didn't go with the stereotypical anime kid voice.  Vanille's is still a little annoying, but I think I'm getting used to it.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2010, 12:19:25 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 11, 2010, 06:22:34 PM

Y'know, I finished FFX twice, and don't remember doing any of those side quests.  Even if they were present, they certainly weren't very memorable.

me, i can't not remember lightning dodger smile ...

finished chapter 3. my only complaint about the game (having accommodated for both hope & vanille at this point):

Spoiler for Hiden:
did the first several hours of the game really have to happen in 3 such dreary, grim, lifeless locales? swear to god, i don't know what they were thinking, but that, for me, was a whole lot of ugly for a looong time. thank god for flashbacks...

otherwise, everything, as has been said, just continues to get better. & all praise to the 'retry' option - so simple, but it makes a big difference (& actually encourages you to try different things during combat that you might otherwise hesitate to do). i'm having a very good time with this game smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2010, 12:25:24 AM »

The 'Retry' mechanic kicks ass.

Means you never have to manually save, except for the end of the day.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2010, 01:22:27 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on March 12, 2010, 12:25:24 AM

The 'Retry' mechanic kicks ass.

Means you never have to manually save, except for the end of the day.

But you should, just in case your PS3 locks or your power goes out or something. smile

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2010, 07:39:53 PM »

Is anyone else not feeling the level design/art direction? Cutscenes are beautiful but in-game is unimpressive to me. I'm still enjoying the game, especially the combat system, but unless I've just changed over the years FF7 and X were better from a graphics/character/story standpoint.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2010, 07:41:35 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on March 12, 2010, 07:39:53 PM

Is anyone else not feeling the level design/art direction? Cutscenes are beautiful but in-game is unimpressive to me. I'm still enjoying the game, especially the combat system, but unless I've just changed over the years FF7 and X were better from a graphics/character/story standpoint.

Couldn't disagree more.  This is one of the best looking games I've seen this generation.  I'm continually amazed at the art design in every new area that opens up. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: