http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 05:29:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Team Fortress 2  (Read 11283 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 11, 2007, 03:51:31 PM »

And once you do, it is pretty easy to find the servers we are on and join us.

If mulitple people are in games (green border around their icon), just right click on the icon of the someone and there should be an option to join their game.  If it's full, there should be a box popup that gives you a choice to enter the game once an empty slot opens up.  I think that's basically how it works.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 11, 2007, 03:59:44 PM »

Hey!

How do you make your own maps?  Do you just load a program and place tiles, or do you have to be smart and stuff?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 11, 2007, 04:22:35 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 11, 2007, 03:34:58 PM

Quote from: DonD on October 11, 2007, 03:29:30 PM

I picked up the Orange Box today and am trying to install (but the servers are being hammered so I'm not having success).  Is there a specific server you all are playing on?  How about a list of OO/GT player names?
Join our Steam Community!

Sweet.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 11, 2007, 04:45:10 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 11, 2007, 03:59:44 PM

Hey!

How do you make your own maps?  Do you just load a program and place tiles, or do you have to be smart and stuff?

Valve should release the SDK kit soon, so the Mod community can get to work.  That's why the game only cam with six maps

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 11, 2007, 06:45:33 PM »

Tada!

I rock.

LD

unbreakable
« Reply #125 on: October 11, 2007, 07:32:50 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 11, 2007, 03:51:31 PM

And once you do, it is pretty easy to find the servers we are on and join us.

If mulitple people are in games (green border around their icon), just right click on the icon of the someone and there should be an option to join their game.  If it's full, there should be a box popup that gives you a choice to enter the game once an empty slot opens up.  I think that's basically how it works.

How does that work?  I'm in the community, and I haven't actually seen it tie into Steam or the menus in any way.

[edit] I'm an idiot, and can't even read what I quote.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 07:39:47 PM by unbreakable » Logged
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 11, 2007, 07:39:30 PM »

I don't know, it just 'works'.  Come to think of it, I may use my Friends List to do it, but the concept is exactly the same I think, as the Friends List will also show the communities you belong to and the members therein.

Launch Steam.  Bring up Friends List.  Go to GT Group.  Hit the little arrow or plus sign to show everyone.  Look for green borders (specifically people playing TF2).  Right Click Icon.

That's going from memory, but I think that's all I do.

LD

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 11, 2007, 07:42:52 PM »

Option 1
Open Steam, click on friends button.  Friends you have explicitely added as friends will appear at the top, groups you have joined will appear below that.  You may have to click a + to expand the group listing.  There you will see green outlines for people in-game, and blue for in-Steam.  If someone's playing TF2, you can right click their icon and view the server info or join the game.  If the server is full, you can click the auto-retry and auto-join buttons.

Option 2
Start up Team Fortress 2, go to the server listings.  All the way to the right there will be a "Friends" tab that will only display servers that groupmates or friends are playing on.  From there you can view server info to see who's in each one, or just pick one to join as usual.

And I'm beaten again.  Curse my slowness!
unbreakable
« Reply #128 on: October 11, 2007, 07:56:51 PM »

Ok, I'll see if something went wrong, because I don't have the group listed anywhere other than the community tab, and there's no interaction with it there.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 11, 2007, 07:59:58 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on October 11, 2007, 07:56:51 PM

Ok, I'll see if something went wrong, because I don't have the group listed anywhere other than the community tab, and there's no interaction with it there.

I believe there's both a community tab and a friends tab.  You want the friends tab.
unbreakable
« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2007, 08:02:51 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 11, 2007, 07:59:58 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on October 11, 2007, 07:56:51 PM

I believe there's both a community tab and a friends tab.  You want the friends tab.

I've never seen anything in there, I was thinking either I'd have to add people individually, or I was just doing something wrong.  It seems more like a technical issue though.  I was having internet problems when I signed up, and changed my Steam ID.  But when I joined the community, it listed my old ID: the change had not worked properly.  So I changed it again, but was seeing some strange stuff (don't recall exactly what it was).

Maybe I should leave the community and rejoin, perhaps that will kick it into working properly.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2007, 10:58:59 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 11, 2007, 04:45:10 PM

Quote from: Lockdown on October 11, 2007, 03:59:44 PM

Hey!

Valve should release the SDK kit soon, so the Mod community can get to work.  That's why the game only cam with six maps

which will require you to be smart and stuff.  Don't worry, I'm sure someone will make maps for the game  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2007, 12:22:19 AM »

If you all play on PC, send me a Steam chat when you do would ya?
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 12, 2007, 06:51:14 PM »

If you go to your friends tab at the bottom is the group you are joined to, hit the plus and it expands it so you can see what all the people in the group are doing and you can join servers from there.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Little Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 13, 2007, 07:33:38 AM »

Hey guys, should you feel the desire to get away from the pub servers for a bit, feel free to drop by the Overlord's Abode, IP 65.99.193.164:27015 - password: gametrend

24 man server, 100-tick, hosted in Dallas. Voice chat set to teams. Should give a decent ping anywhere in the US.

This server was created to serve the OO/GT community, but it's by no means exclusive. If you've got a friend you want to game with, by all means bring them along!

Hope to see you there!
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2007, 03:30:59 AM »

Guys definitely jump in, we had a good size group for the first time and :shock: it was racist and asshole free!

You may also want to post the info in the GT message area on the Steam Board.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 03:40:20 AM by Jag » Logged
unbreakable
« Reply #136 on: October 15, 2007, 06:02:12 AM »

I didn't see anyone on when I checked, but I found a pretty cool 2fort only server.

Now that I've figured out some of the finer points of the spy, I'm really liking it.  Feign death was pretty cool, but you can be a lot more offensive using the cloak.  I also noticed you can turn the cloak on and off (for some reason it had to stay on til it ran out).

BTW, is there a trick to getting one-hit kills?  I seem to always die- full health and everything- but very rarely do I ever 1hk when fighting (it seems to happen a lot when playing soldier, but I got hit with a broken bottle, from the front, and was 1hk).
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 15, 2007, 12:17:32 PM »

We actually had a big group last night, 22 people at one point. A combo of GT/OO and even some GWJ folks too. Lots of fun.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 15, 2007, 01:02:01 PM »

Quote from: Jag on October 15, 2007, 12:17:32 PM

We actually had a big group last night, 22 people at one point. A combo of GT/OO and even some GWJ folks too. Lots of fun.

Yes, I picked your jumpy scouty ass off with my rifle and you came back and brained me with a bat. frown
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 15, 2007, 02:29:57 PM »

Quote from: Austin on October 15, 2007, 01:02:01 PM

Quote from: Jag on October 15, 2007, 12:17:32 PM

Yes, I picked your jumpy scouty ass off with my rifle and you came back and brained me with a bat. frown

I wish I had gotten in more play time last night but my gaming ADD was in overdrive as I waited until Sunday evening to get in some serious playtime.

Because I can,
unbreakable
« Reply #140 on: October 15, 2007, 04:32:51 PM »

I played around with the scout last night, too.  What seems better to use at close range, the bat or the scattergun?  I kind of like the gun, because it's still useful if you have to get ranged.  But does the bat 1hk from behind?
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 15, 2007, 05:15:08 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on October 15, 2007, 04:32:51 PM

I played around with the scout last night, too.  What seems better to use at close range, the bat or the scattergun?  I kind of like the gun, because it's still useful if you have to get ranged.  But does the bat 1hk from behind?

Personally i like the bat for killing Austi..er, for close combat. Actually the best part about the bat is the psychological effect it has on ranged folks. Using the Scout's speed, you can usually club someone to death before they can scream "I'm not a baby seal!!"
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 15, 2007, 05:26:43 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on October 15, 2007, 06:02:12 AM

BTW, is there a trick to getting one-hit kills?  I seem to always die- full health and everything- but very rarely do I ever 1hk when fighting (it seems to happen a lot when playing soldier, but I got hit with a broken bottle, from the front, and was 1hk).

The only guaranteed one hit kills are with the sniper rifle, the spy backstab, or a collection of sticky bombs.  The rest of the one hit kills are through critical hits.  Most melee weapons will 1hk on a crit, but I doubtful that the scout's bat will do so.  It does less damage per hit than the other melee weapons, but has a much faster swing rate.

As a scout at close range I typically use the scattergun, but my aim with it really sucks unless I slow down and my target is slow/stationary.  I'd probably have better luck if I kept to the bat.

At any sort of distance, even just at short-medium range, I think the pistol is much more effective.  It's accurate, fires really fast, reloads lighting fast, and doesn't drop in damage at range as quickly as the scattergun.  It's also easier for me to hit moving targets with the pistol since I can fire it so fast.  When I get into a scout vs. scout fight, I usually win with the pistol vs. their scattergun since those fights typically don't get to point blank combat.
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 15, 2007, 07:19:54 PM »

Now that I've figured out some of the finer points of the spy, I'm really liking it.  Feign death was pretty cool, but you can be a lot more offensive using the cloak.  I also noticed you can turn the cloak on and off (for some reason it had to stay on til it ran out).

How do you feign death as a spy?
For that matter, is there a good resource for finding out what each class is capable of and how to do it?

Considering there is no manual, I think there should be something to help noobs know that you can uber someone as a medic, or other such details.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 15, 2007, 07:24:12 PM »

Quote from: stimpy on October 15, 2007, 07:19:54 PM

How do you feign death as a spy?

You don't. slywink  Not in TF2 anyway. Tongue
unbreakable
« Reply #145 on: October 15, 2007, 07:40:32 PM »

Ooops sorry, I should have clarified my post.  I was comparing TFC to TF2.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 15, 2007, 07:41:51 PM »

Quote from: stimpy on October 15, 2007, 07:19:54 PM

Considering there is no manual, I think there should be something to help noobs know that you can uber someone as a medic, or other such details.

It's too bad they didn't have a full set of "Meet the _____" videos in time for release; so far they explain the Heavy, Engineer, and Demoman better than any manual could. smile

And there's the fantastic Ignus Solus video in the meantime to give you a look into the heart of the Pyro.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 16, 2007, 12:36:03 AM »

hey, didn't they have the demo man throwing a satchel charge in on of the videos?  did that get cut?

Because I can,
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 16, 2007, 11:38:58 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 16, 2007, 12:36:03 AM

hey, didn't they have the demo man throwing a satchel charge in on of the videos?  did that get cut?

Looks like...only stickbombs and grenade launcher in the game frown

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 16, 2007, 03:57:57 PM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on October 16, 2007, 11:38:58 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 16, 2007, 12:36:03 AM

Looks like...only stickbombs and grenade launcher in the game frown

don't forget the rum!

Because I can,
WarPig
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 16, 2007, 04:12:10 PM »

I got to play last night on the OO server.  I am also one of these folks who never really played TFC and I'm just getting into the dynamic of the game.  I love it!  Since I knew I was getting the Orange Box, I loaded up Fortress Forever to get used to the style of the game.  I must say, I'm a big fan of the game; both its comedic qualities and refined gameplay from each class' perspective.

I think the only name I saw on last night that I recognized was Gellar, but there were good times had by all.  I tend to lean toward Medic/Pyro/Heavy (if there's another medic) when I play.  Which map has the train station?  cp_well?  Anyway, I had racked up a number of kills to a guy named woober who had been playing as a scout against my pyro.  I saw him type in chat "I hate pyros and (another class that I wasn't paying attention to)" right after I had killed him.  Ah, good times.

Unbreakable: "Stupid is the new ugly"
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: October 17, 2007, 05:27:25 AM »

The pace is fast, but it really is the most accessible team online shooter out there.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 17, 2007, 05:47:53 PM »

Server got moved to yet another box

10 Slot 66 tick
Bayou Beatdown Dustbowl 24/7
205.234.159.69:27016

Ascendent
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 18, 2007, 03:44:40 PM »

Well I bought this online and it's being shipped to me.  Should have it in a week or so and I'll be looking to joing you guys!!
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 19, 2007, 01:34:19 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 18, 2007, 03:44:40 PM

Well I bought this online and it's being shipped to me.  Should have it in a week or so and I'll be looking to joing you guys!!

Gah!  Steam.  Download.  retard

Kidding, but really you should be more impatient.  nod
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 19, 2007, 02:29:05 PM »

Quote from: Austin on October 19, 2007, 01:34:19 PM

Gah!  Steam.  Download. 

that's what I was thinking myself.  Steam can be a very powerful ally.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 19, 2007, 02:38:03 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 19, 2007, 02:29:05 PM

Gah!  Steam.  Download. 

Well I was being cheap guys.  I used Steam to buy Bioshock.  TF2 was $10 cheaper if I ordered from CC.com, so I figured I could wait slywink  I already arrived, too!  Expectd delivery date of 10/29....actual delivery date of 10/18!
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 19, 2007, 05:09:05 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 19, 2007, 02:38:03 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 19, 2007, 02:29:05 PM

Gah!  Steam.  Download. 

Well I was being cheap guys.  I used Steam to buy Bioshock.  TF2 was $10 cheaper if I ordered from CC.com, so I figured I could wait slywink  I already arrived, too!  Expectd delivery date of 10/29....actual delivery date of 10/18!

Woot.  I'll send you my paypal and we can split the $10.00 you saved!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 19, 2007, 05:44:04 PM »

lol!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 19, 2007, 09:30:17 PM »

Hey guys when I first start up TF2 the server list won't refresh.  I have to stop and then start the search again for any servers to appear.  Also, when I click on a server to see details, every single one says server not responding.  Anyone else have this issue?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: