http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 06:55:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Teach me how to Sonic  (Read 224 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2012, 07:43:48 PM »

I never played any Sonic games in their heyday and while I've downloaded the original Sonic on Live, I've never really understood how to play it. It's not like a Mario platformer it seems - are you supposed to run as fast as you possibly can through the level, or are you supposed to stop and collect rings or find alternate paths?

I picked up Sonic Generations, and while the more modern 3D levels seem a bit more straightforward in that you're supposed to rush through them, the 2D levels I'm less clear on.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 08:10:39 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on July 14, 2012, 07:43:48 PM

are you supposed to run as fast as you possibly can through the level, or are you supposed to stop and collect rings or find alternate paths?

This was always my problem with the Sonic games, the core speedy gameplay is counter to the levels that have so much you want to find and explore.  I think you're supposed to speed through them, but my tendency was to always explore the alternate paths and such.   icon_confused

Sandwiches do fix everything.
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 08:34:03 PM »

Trying to speed through them at first is a good way to get to the Game Over screen in a hurry. Take it easy until you know the levels well; then you can go through them quickly if you wish (and once you're good enough you'll be able to get the rings quickly as well).

Sonic 1 is a good game, but Sonic 2 is the best because it adds the spin dash maneuver (down + jump) which makes it a lot easier to dispatch enemies and get through the levels quickly. Plus I just think the levels are much better than any of the other games. Having said that, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, and Sonic CD are all good games as well. I tried playing Sonic Rush but I just really dislike that engine. Never tried any of the other modern games.

I could be biased though because 2 was the first one I played, and I played it a lot. I can complete the game in well under an hour these days with maybe one or two deaths tops.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 09:00:27 PM by heloder » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 03:26:01 PM »

Put me in the never quite having gotten Sonic camp.  But I always buy them, thinking I'm missing something.  The Sonic Rush games on GBA were the ones that clicked best for me.

I think, one thing that keeps Sonic in the old-school category is that the levels are meant to be played multiple times.  More so than in other games.  You're meant to explore in order to find the fastest route and then plow through until you set an incredible time using that route.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 05:35:19 PM »

You can play them either way,TBH.  rushing gets you through with a minimum chance of dying, but exploring is good if you want to look for extra lives or power ups.  The biggest drive to rush is in Sonic CD. That one has a extra rewards system tied to your total time played.  Is also my favorite of them all for that reason and for the 4 different takes on each level ( past, current, bad future, good future)

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: