http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 03:42:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Target and Walmart Break DS Lite Street Date  (Read 2770 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2006, 10:23:08 AM »

From Cheapassgamer.

Even though I have mine preordered, I will be checking the local target to see if they're out...

Good luck if you launch off on a quest to find one.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 10:32:58 AM »

That is gonna make the big N upset. Good luck GTers on getting yours!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 01:20:51 PM »

Why bother with a DS Lite when you can buy the obviously superior PSP? smile

My wife will be at Target this morning, I'll have to tell her to look out for one for me, err, my son.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 01:50:39 PM »

Keep it up, Chump...

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 01:51:44 PM »

any updates on the deal with trading in your old DS?  I am going to feel so tempted when I see one.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 02:04:58 PM »

I checked two targets and a walmart.

Both targets had them in stock but wouldn't break the street date.

At walmart I actually met a Nintendo employee changing out the display and she said that this walmart hadn't even received them.

She did let me handle her DS Lite though. It's pretty awesome.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 02:06:32 PM »

Quote from: "weleavefossils"
any updates on the deal with trading in your old DS?  I am going to feel so tempted when I see one.

I haven't heard anything about a trade-in promotion as of yet.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 03:02:04 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
She did let me handle her DS Lite though. It's pretty awesome.

Is that what they're calling it these days? :wink:

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 04:42:18 PM »

Just picked it up from the Target in LittleRock,AR.  The picture is so much better.  I hadn't really been playing NSMB to much in anticipation and I am glad I waited.  The colors are awesome.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 04:58:02 PM »

Somebody is gonna get in BIG trouble from the Big N. Breaking dates on a game or movie is bad, but an actual gaming console?

Ouch.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 05:06:28 PM »

Got mine at a Target in Appleton, WI!

Lots and lots are available. smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 05:10:23 PM »

Target and Wal-Mart are making money!!

biggrin

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 05:45:35 PM »

Why oh why must my new acursed state toe the line so? I wish to play!
bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 05:56:57 PM »

unfortunately I have $97 in credit at gamestop so I will wait for mine to come in there.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 06:00:53 PM »

I may have to look into this.

After playing Albatross 18, I think maybe I could get into cartoony games again.

Can someone hook me up with a link to a good overall nintendo-ds-light-whatever sight.  I wish to do some perusing...

Edit to add:  (all joking aside) I know NOTHING, and that is not an exaggeration, about handhelds.  Nada.  I want to play fun, simple, cartooney games like Albatross 18... where should I start?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006, 06:17:46 PM »

Rule of thumb - Base all your gaming around load times. The DS will be great for you!  Tongue

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 06:30:12 PM »

Alas, the DS Lite will be my Father's Day gift so I'll be waiting until the 18th anyway.  

Quote from: "Lockdown"
After playing Albatross 18, I think maybe I could get into cartoony games again.

What's Albatross 18?
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2006, 07:08:24 PM »

My Target had only 2 Micro Gameboys in the case.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006, 07:08:40 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

What's Albatross 18?

My newest addiction.  

Albatross 18

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2006, 07:37:51 PM »

Hot Shots?

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2006, 08:07:28 PM »

Thanks, Lockdown!  A18 is great!

Everyone in my area thinks I'm talking about a light for the gameboy.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2006, 08:23:13 PM »

for anyone who's waiting, you can get an extra $20 for your DS at EB and Gamestop next week, I believe the 4th through the 11th. So you'll get 70 bucks for it all together.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2006, 01:19:38 AM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
Thanks, Lockdown!  A18 is great!

Everyone in my area thinks I'm talking about a light for the gameboy.

When I got mine today, I pointed at the case and said "I want one of those DS Lites".  She looked at me and said, "They're not lights, they are gaming systems"  I said, "Yeah, I know, they are the new Nintendo DS LITEs as in L-I-T-E."  Finally she caught on and opened the case for me.

Then some young clerk tried to talk her out of selling it to me.  He almost had her convinced, but she told him there was no street date on the box.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2006, 02:30:21 AM »

When I got mine today, I pointed at the case and said "I want one of those DS Lites". She looked at me and said, "They're not lights, they are gaming systems" I said, "Yeah, I know, they are the new Nintendo DS LITEs as in L-I-T-E." Finally she caught on and opened the case for me.

Then some young clerk tried to talk her out of selling it to me. He almost had her convinced, but she told him there was no street date on the box.

Ugh, poor management. I hate when other companies break street dates, at GameStop they are very strict about not breaking street date so when other companies do, it hurts our numbers because people will come in and cancel their pre-order  :evil:

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2006, 03:00:08 AM »

If it's happening this far in advance on a wide scale, I'm hoping EB and Gamestop will get the go-ahead to break the date themselves.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2006, 04:24:50 AM »

I want to play fun, simple, cartooney games like Albatross 18... where should I start?

Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee for the PSP.

If you have a PS2 you can get Hot Shots Golf 3 or Hot Shots Golf Fore! on that system.  On the Cube you can get Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour.

On the DS you can get Mario Golf Advance Tour for the GBA (GBA games work in the DS).

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2006, 05:21:22 AM »

Quote from: "Ridah"
When I got mine today, I pointed at the case and said "I want one of those DS Lites". She looked at me and said, "They're not lights, they are gaming systems" I said, "Yeah, I know, they are the new Nintendo DS LITEs as in L-I-T-E." Finally she caught on and opened the case for me.

Then some young clerk tried to talk her out of selling it to me. He almost had her convinced, but she told him there was no street date on the box.

Ugh, poor management. I hate when other companies break street dates, at GameStop they are very strict about not breaking street date so when other companies do, it hurts our numbers because people will come in and cancel their pre-order  :evil:

Wal Mart does this all the time.  I know they did it with Kingdom Hearts 2 and cost my local Gamestop a ton of preorders that got cancelled.  But what are you gonna do, they're Wal Mart and no one is going to take them on.  The other side of the coin says you gotta ask Nintendo what are they thinking shipping Wal Mart all these systems 12 days before the release date.  Sounds like to me that Nintendo wanted them to be sold.

It also wasn't just Wal Mart.  Target and Best Buy were selling them, too.  I hate it for you guys in the specialty stores, but I'm tickled to death to get one early.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2006, 07:12:30 AM »

Wal Mart does this all the time. I know they did it with Kingdom Hearts 2 and cost my local Gamestop a ton of preorders that got cancelled. But what are you gonna do, they're Wal Mart and no one is going to take them on. The other side of the coin says you gotta ask Nintendo what are they thinking shipping Wal Mart all these systems 12 days before the release date. Sounds like to me that Nintendo wanted them to be sold.

What I don't understand is why they don't give us the go-ahead to sell our systems if competing stores around us have begin selling them. I can understand not wanting to be the first company to break street date, but once a Best Buy or Target does it, we may as well follow suit, I don't think we would catch any heat from Nintendo for it. GameStops and EBs are supposed to be getting them as early as 6/2, its gonna be shitty having to hold on to them for another week.

Sean Lama
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2006, 11:24:15 AM »

I don't think we would catch any heat from Nintendo for it.

Well, I don't know how it works for gaming hardware/software, but there are big weights & measures fines for selling books before thheir street dates. I'd imagine the same holds true here.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2006, 11:34:25 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
I want to play fun, simple, cartooney games like Albatross 18... where should I start?

Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee for the PSP.

If you have a PS2 you can get Hot Shots Golf 3 or Hot Shots Golf Fore! on that system.  On the Cube you can get Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour.

On the DS you can get Mario Golf Advance Tour for the GBA (GBA games work in the DS).

Gracias, Amigo!

LD

The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2006, 11:51:01 AM »

Wal Mart does this all the time. I know they did it with Kingdom Hearts 2 and cost my local Gamestop a ton of preorders that got cancelled. But what are you gonna do, they're Wal Mart and no one is going to take them on. The other side of the coin says you gotta ask Nintendo what are they thinking shipping Wal Mart all these systems 12 days before the release date. Sounds like to me that Nintendo wanted them to be sold.

What I don't understand is why they don't give us the go-ahead to sell our systems if competing stores around us have begin selling them. I can understand not wanting to be the first company to break street date, but once a Best Buy or Target does it, we may as well follow suit, I don't think we would catch any heat from Nintendo for it. GameStops and EBs are supposed to be getting them as early as 6/2, its gonna be shitty having to hold on to them for another week.

Reading from the original thread over at CAG, it appears that everyone is going to get the green light today (Thursday).  Apparently, a lot of the Wal Marts and Targets pulled theirs off the shelf citing the release date, but since the damage has already been done Nintendo must have caved to the pressure and just said "sell 'em".  

If what I am reading is true, you guys at Gamestop/EB should get yours today along with the ok to go ahead and sell them.  At this point, it would be pretty stupid for Nintendo to try and hold tight to that 6/11 release date.  Some people are even sayin that Nintendo did this intentionally to create a false demand for the systems even though they are going to be everywhere in a few days.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2006, 12:53:43 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
for anyone who's waiting, you can get an extra $20 for your DS at EB and Gamestop next week, I believe the 4th through the 11th. So you'll get 70 bucks for it all together.

Is this for selling your DS, and just your DS, plain and simple?  Or is this if you're also buying a Lite from them, or with games traded in, or some other catch?
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2006, 12:58:55 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
Quote from: "Tebunker"

Is this for selling your DS, and just your DS, plain and simple?  Or is this if you're also buying a Lite from them, or with games traded in, or some other catch?

It's $70 for the DS by itself.  You can apply it toward whatever you want, but the smart money is using it to upgrade to the Lite.  

Now the problem is that if the street date is gone, the deal doesn't start until Sunday.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2006, 01:24:05 PM »

Oh, fear not:  Gamestop's ridiculous insistence on pre-orders hurts their sales well enough on their own.  That's one of the two reasons I never step foot in a Gamestop anymore except when I need something I literally can't find anywhere else (i.e. about once or twice a year for an older PC game that's now in the $10-$20 range anyway).

Gamestop is the Electronic Arts of game retailers anymore.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2006, 02:56:40 PM »

Is it unrealistic for execs at Nintendo to think, "Ohhhh, son of a ... just let 'em sell."? If some units have been sold, is it in Nintendo's best interest to try to hold the majority of units back until the original street date, or give the go ahead to open the flood gates?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2006, 03:23:24 PM »

It's $70 for the DS by itself. You can apply it toward whatever you want, but the smart money is using it to upgrade to the Lite.

Actually, its $70 if you put it towards a DS Lite. Otherwise its just the regular $50 value for your DS.

Sean Lama
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2006, 04:20:47 PM »

Final word apparently is that the getting was good but now retailers have caught up.

No more until the 11th.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2006, 05:12:21 PM »

Final word apparently is that the getting was good but now retailers have caught up.

No more until the 11th.

Apparently no one has given my Wal Mart the memo.  I went back in there today and they still had about 8 in the cases.  Almost looks like I'm the only person that's bought one.
only1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2006, 10:33:22 AM »

Quote from: "The_Man"

No more until the 11th.

Apparently no one has given my Wal Mart the memo.  I went back in there today and they still had about 8 in the cases.  Almost looks like I'm the only person that's bought one.

next time your there, might want to ask if you can buy one.  I know when I worked at a Target, we'd put product, especially gaming systems due to lack-of-storage issues, in the display case.  Of course, I worked with a knowledgable group of people and we all cited street dates when people asked if they could buy them.  
Not saying this is the issue at that Wal*Mart, just using my experience as an example.  

have yu seen eBay lately?  tons of them up for sale... immediate shipping, not pre-order.  Whish begs the question... why pay $180 plus $50 shipping, total $230, for a console that's out in a week and $100 less than what you pay total????  I know some people like to be first, but, c'mon!  (it's like the other day at the comic shop when someone claimed to have paid $600 for advanced screening tickets to Superman Returns... it's out later this month, it's just a movie.... moron).

So, after seeing NSMB, I'm really thinking about getting a DS Lite.  

here's a question... and it's by no means a deal-breaker, just curiosity.  I know the PSP immediately had a web browser download... and the DSLite is WiFi ready... is there a web browser available for DS?

"Beer- the cause of, and solution to, all of lifes little problems."
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2006, 12:20:25 PM »

Quote from: "only1"
Quote from: "The_Man"

No more until the 11th.

here's a question... and it's by no means a deal-breaker, just curiosity.  I know the PSP immediately had a web browser download... and the DSLite is WiFi ready... is there a web browser available for DS?

Opera is supposedly preparing a browser to run on the DS and there have even been screenshots of it in this forum, but I have no idea when it's going to be released.

Check the thread below for some pics of the browser.

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12931&highlight=opera+browser
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: