http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 07:23:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Talk Strategy Game of the Year discussion  (Read 1138 times)
Hrothgar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« on: January 27, 2006, 06:06:41 AM »

Howdy,

Just a reminder to those interested that my website is cutting down the list before voting on the game of the year.  It's not as prestigious as some awards, but it's fun.  The discussion article is Here.  The list of games is Here.  Input is open to all.  Thanks.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 06:43:08 AM »

Well from your list im going wit hNexus the Jupiter Inccident. It had its share of strange programming quirks but in the end it was fun, looked great, and had a certain warm feeling about it.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 12:58:42 PM »

I agree with daehawk on this one.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 11:25:10 PM »

Battlefield 2??  Brothers in Arms??  Those are strategy games in the loosest sense of the word I guess.  I was hoping to see a few more hardcore strategy games on there.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 02:10:29 AM »

Where do we vote?

Obviously this is all-around Game of the Year rather than Strategy Game of the Year.  Or maybe it's not obvious?

I would vote for Winter Assault, but it's just my personal pick based on my enjoyment of the game and 40k in general.  Being an expansion I don't think I'd feel good giving it the nod.  Not to mention some people think the new stuff ruined the game.

So I'll go with Civ 4 since it's the one that's actually a strategy game. :wink:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 02:51:20 AM »

Civ4.

And this is apparently overall GOTY, not Strategy GOTY, despite the site's name.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 12:03:44 AM »

The site emphasis is on strategy and tactical games.  Specifically, its focus is on the virtual war stories arising from those types of games.  However, game of the year is open to all nominations.  Nominations closed out a while ago and now we're cutting the list to finalists.

Voting will begin tomorrow (Monday).

Cheers,
Hrothgar

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 05:22:20 AM »

I found some screenshots I took at the end game of Nexus. This was where i was inside the event horrizon of a black hole teaching the alien scum a lesson in smack downs.

You should see it moving..beautiful game.

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 08:38:03 PM »

Voting is open now.

Right Here.

May the best game win.

Cheers,
Hrothgar

Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 11:35:15 PM »

/searches backlog for Nexus

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 11:43:41 PM »

Thanks for the spoiler Daehawk. Cool

(Nexus is on my backlog pile too.)

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 11:53:45 PM »

I voted Civ4.  My thoughts on the rest:

Battlefield 2 -- Performance slug, too many bunny hopping / worm-dancing wankers, atrociously unfun if you play on a 'pub.'  And of course, Fuck EA.

Darwinia -- Conceptually cool, but execution falls flat.  It's Tron meets Sacrifice, except Tron 2.0 is a better at the setting and Sacrifice is better at the actual gameplay Darwinia's going for.

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident -- Heard bad things, didn't purchase.  Been waiting for it to hit bargain bin price / get patched more.

Rome: Total War - Barbarian Invasion -- Didn't purchase.  Rome: Total War was boring enough.

Space Rangers 2 -- Interesting til you figured out how routine it all was.  And of course, Fuck Starforce.

SWAT 4 -- I'm not a fan of tactical shooters, though it was apparently one of the better ones out there.  Fuck their multplayer advertising scheme.

The Movies -- Fuck Molyneux.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory -- Didn't play it; Fuck Starforce.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War: Winter Assault -- Sweet expansion ruined by Relic's laziness in regards to patching/balancing.  Imperial Guard were *way* overpowered at release (dunno if they still are).  Campaign was boring.  Broken Widescreen support.  Buggy.  Multiplayer notoriously unreliable, ie, Fuck Gamespy.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 01:35:31 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
I voted Civ4.  My thoughts on the rest:

I voted nexus, my comments on your thoughts

Battlefield 2 -- Performance slug, too many bunny hopping / worm-dancing wankers, atrociously unfun if you play on a 'pub.'  And of course, Fuck EA.

Pub play can be fun at times if you luck onto a good adhoc team. However at other times it can absolutely blow chunks. Also, ea's patches seem to have made things worse instead of better.

Darwinia -- Conceptually cool, but execution falls flat.  It's Tron meets Sacrifice, except Tron 2.0 is a better at the setting and Sacrifice is better at the actual gameplay Darwinia's going for.

Its unique and cute, it feels more like a game from Nintendo seriously.

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident -- Heard bad things, didn't purchase.  Been waiting for it to hit bargain bin price / get patched more.

You should try it, it is good. I didn't encounter bugs on my playthrough and the gameplay is challenging and well paced instead of being a clickfest. Also the storyline is pretty darned good too.

Rome: Total War - Barbarian Invasion -- Didn't purchase.  Rome: Total War was boring enough.

Agreed.

Space Rangers 2 -- Interesting til you figured out how routine it all was.  And of course, Fuck Starforce.

Starforce bites.

SWAT 4 -- I'm not a fan of tactical shooters, though it was apparently one of the better ones out there.  Fuck their multplayer advertising scheme.

Didn't try this, was busy with DoD:S and BF2 at the time.

The Movies -- Fuck Molyneux.

Tried this, its the sims in hollywood. Unless you're into making movies in which case you can do all sorts of neat stuff, I lacked the paitence to get into the custom movies part so I let this game slide.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory -- Didn't play it; Fuck Starforce.

Starforce bites.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War: Winter Assault -- Sweet expansion ruined by Relic's laziness in regards to patching/balancing.  Imperial Guard were *way* overpowered at release (dunno if they still are).  Campaign was boring.  Broken Widescreen support.  Buggy.  Multiplayer notoriously unreliable, ie, Fuck Gamespy.

To be honest, I didn't find the guard that overpowered, but then again, I was only a fair to middling player to begin with. While not as good as the original campaign the new one had its moments. I didn't play in widescreen even on the original game (still using a 19" Trinitron). Didn't encounter bugs in skirmish/campaign... but I agree. Fuck Gamespy. The headaches I went through trying to host/join games were inexcusable.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 02:00:10 AM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"
Thanks for the spoiler Daehawk. Cool

(Nexus is on my backlog pile too.)

Sorry..figured everyone that was gonna play it had  :?

I did'nt say how I beat them smile

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: