http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 06:30:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tales of Vesperia announced  (Read 21265 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 02, 2008, 06:12:58 PM »

Man, I'm jealous- my highest combo is 36 and I think I did that in the boss in the area where you learned Fatal Strikes (Caer Bocrum?).  

I think I prefer Vesperia's combat system because it seems a little bit simpler- the whole FoF thing in Abyss was a bit hard to grasp.  I especially like that it's relatively easy to pull off Burst Artes in Vesperia.  

Fatal Strikes *are* neat but they are a little bit cumbersome to execute on purpose IMO so I just use them when I happen to trigger them unintentionally.  As far as the chain goes, I think that's comes from creating FS opportunities but not taking them.  

One thing I'm still very unclear on- the Skill Artes modifiers- supposedly if you have certain skills enabled it will give you a modifier to your Artes.  I have yet to get that to happen.  Anyone else able to offer up a good explanation on how to make that happen?  
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 02, 2008, 06:34:12 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on September 02, 2008, 05:58:03 PM

I just can't seem to figure out how all the artes/arcane artes/burst artes/overdrive/fatal strike combinations work.  I've seen the Fatal Strike arrow pop up a couple times, but I have no earthly idea what I did to actually activate it.  Thankfully I'm still at the point where spamming the B button and mixing in a few blocks can handle most enemies.

Basically there is a progression to the combos:

Melee Combo -> Basic Arte -> Arcane Arte -> Burst Arte*

*You must be in Overdrive to trigger a burste arte.

If you do anything outside of that progression, the combo "breaks" and Yuri will resheath his weapon, introducing a delay. 

So you start off with a straight up melee 3 hit combo, immediately trigger a Base Arte and before the Base Arte completes, trigger an Arcane Arte.  If you are in overdrive during this, hold down the Arte button during the Arcane Arte's animation and you'll trigger the Burste Arte.  However, if you tried to trigger another arcane arte after the first one, it wouldn't work and Yuri would basically stop, breaking the combo.

If you're in Over Limit you don't have to worry about any of it- you can spam regular attacks and artes as much as you want with zero delay. 

As far as Fatal Strikes go, it's a little more complicated:

In combat, hold down the right bumper so you can see each enemy.  You'll see each enemy has three meters above their head, one for each type of FS.  This is different than their health meter- essentially each time you hit them with a corresponding color attack, the meter will drop.  Deplete one of the meters completely and you'll get the option for a FS. 

For example, Green fatal strikes are represented by a Right Arrow- that means that anytime you hit the enemy using a melee attack with the analog stick pointing right (ie a thrust) will deplete the green FS bar.  Also, each Arte has a type of Fatal Strike associated with it which you can now see in the Artes screen.  So if you hit the enemy with an Arte that is reprented by the Green FS arrow, that depletes their meter too. 

Right now I find it cumbersome to do intentionally for normal fights (though I've used it deliberately in boss fights) because most enemies will usually die with a normal extended combo, never giving me the opportunity for FSs. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 02, 2008, 06:49:54 PM »

That's a huge help, thanks Kevin.  Will give those a shot tonight.

For example, Green fatal strikes are represented by a Right Arrow- that means that anytime you hit the enemy using a melee attack with the analog stick pointing right (ie a thrust) will deplete the green FS bar.  Also, each Arte has a type of Fatal Strike associated with it which you can now see in the Artes screen.  So if you hit the enemy with an Arte that is reprented by the Green FS arrow, that depletes their meter too.

Was this in the manual somewhere?  I don't remember reading it, and I know there wasn't anything about it in the brief tutorial.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 02, 2008, 06:52:56 PM »

Heh, I don't think so.  Pretty sure I got that from the Neogaf discussion thread.  I was pretty confused about the FS's as well and checked the Battle Book, manual, *and* strat guide but found all lacking in explaining the mechanic. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 02, 2008, 07:43:17 PM »

More on combos:

I think this Youtube video is a good example of typical combo progression.

At the beginning of this video you can see Yuri go through Melee Attack, Shining Fang (Basic Arte), Dragon Swarm (Arcane Art), go into Over Limit. Lone Wolf Storm (Arcane Art I'm assuming though I have yet to get that one personally), and then finish off with the Burste Arte.  That entire stream is a 26 hit combo just from Yuri himself. 
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 02, 2008, 11:08:18 PM »

Thanks for that explanation, Kevin. My next two boss battles went *much* easier after I figured out the combo chains.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 02, 2008, 11:19:46 PM »

Nice write up, Kevin!

I've also put some time into the cooking system and think I have it figured out. Basically, each recipe has a level. The more each character performs a recipe, the higher the level gets. To see what level you are, go into the cooking menu. Highlight a character and then highlight a recipe. The portrait for each character will display one to three stars to indicate the character's level with that recipe. The word "Mastered" appears once you've maxed your skill with that recipe.

A character discovers new recipes by mastering various dishes. For instance, I just discovered "Pudding" once Yuri mastered "sorbet," "sandwich," and "Fried Chicken with Fries." I'm not sure whether its the number of recipes mastered that caused me to discover itor if it's mastering a certain combination (it could be both). I assume different characters discover different recipes as they master them.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 11:26:17 PM by Andrew Mallon » Logged
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 02, 2008, 11:23:47 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 02, 2008, 06:12:58 PM

I think I prefer Vesperia's combat system because it seems a little bit simpler- the whole FoF thing in Abyss was a bit hard to grasp.  I especially like that it's relatively easy to pull off Burst Artes in Vesperia.  

Now that I've unlocked both Fatal Strikes and Burst Artes, I agree with you. FoF's not only were hard to grasp, they required a ton of luck to pull off. Basically, you had to hope that an enemy would position himself next to FoF aura on the ground to even have a chance of pulling one off. And I'm still not quite sure how Mystic Artes were triggered in Abyss.

One thing I'm still very unclear on- the Skill Artes modifiers- supposedly if you have certain skills enabled it will give you a modifier to your Artes.  I have yet to get that to happen.  Anyone else able to offer up a good explanation on how to make that happen?  

Yeah, I don't get this myself. I'll see if I can play around with it.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 02, 2008, 11:47:40 PM »

I searched Gamefaqs about skill changes and it sounds like it's weapon specific and you don't get the first weapon with that ability until pretty far into the game. 

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on September 02, 2008, 11:19:46 PM

A character discovers new recipes by mastering various dishes. For instance, I just discovered "Pudding" once Yuri mastered "sorbet," "sandwich," and "Fried Chicken with Fries." I'm not sure whether its the number of recipes mastered that caused me to discover itor if it's mastering a certain combination (it could be both). I assume different characters discover different recipes as they master them.

I think it's dependent on the recipe and the character.  So once Yuri has mastered Pudding you'll learn Cake but if Estelle had mastered Pudding then you wouldn't necessarily learn Cake- it might be another receipe or nothing at all. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 03, 2008, 12:46:17 AM »

This game has some hilarious post-battle quips.  Just heard this one for the first time:

Estelle:  :gasp:  Wow...they're bouncing!
Judith:  What are you looking at?
Estelle:  Um...er...nothing.  ::sigh::  I wish I could bounce...

icon_lol

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: September 03, 2008, 04:02:48 AM »

And incase you haven't noticed - whenever you get a brand new quip, you're not able to skip the usual battle results. It allows you to hear the new ones even if you normally skip the results every time.

And I loved some of the ones heard right off the bat. "I beat you into next week!" "You can do that?" biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 03, 2008, 06:38:14 AM »

Am I missing something, or is there no indication when someone levels up?  In the earlier games, the words "Level Up" would appear above the character at the end of the battle, but I'm not seeing anything in Vesperia.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 03, 2008, 08:28:34 AM »

There is definitely an indication: At the end of the battle the character is superimposed on the screen, the words "Level Up" appear to their left, and they say something like "I feel much stronger now..."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 03, 2008, 12:09:41 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on September 03, 2008, 06:38:14 AM

Am I missing something, or is there no indication when someone levels up?  In the earlier games, the words "Level Up" would appear above the character at the end of the battle, but I'm not seeing anything in Vesperia.

Are you hitting A or B during the results screen?  A cycles through information and shows the level up animation along with other information.  B just cancels directly out of combat without showing you any of it. 
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 03, 2008, 11:24:06 PM »

Woo! Finally broke the 50 combo barrier against Gigalarvae! 51 to be exact smile
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 06, 2008, 03:36:39 PM »

Arg, finally hit another boss posing difficulties, at the end of the 2/3 mark. I wouldn't mind, but there is a really long discussion beforehand that you can't skip through very fast.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 08, 2008, 07:08:17 PM »

Has anyone found an overworld map online?  I knew I needed to go to Nordopolica, but there were a couple days between the time I heard the directions during the dialog scene and when I got around to actually going there, and I forgot what they said.  Since the only directions in the journal were "the southern city of Nordopolica", I spent nearly an hour sailing around and landing on every possible land mass looking for it.   Finally found it, but it was incredibly frustrating.   icon_evil  I don't really want to drop $20 on a guide just to get a damn map.

While the journal system does a decent job of recapping story elements, it's zero help in trying to figure out where to go next.   I feel like if I take a break from the game - even for just a day or two - I'll forget where I'm supposed to go and be irretrievably stuck.   Which does not bode well for my 3-day trip this week. 

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 08, 2008, 09:32:50 PM »

Nope, but  I haven't really looked. The world map works on once you have been to a place and I generally didn't have too much trouble finding the locations. Only once or twice where it was a bit too ambiguous for me.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 09, 2008, 03:11:25 AM »

Gametrailers has posted their video review - 8.8/10.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 09, 2008, 03:20:57 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on September 09, 2008, 03:11:25 AM

Good review but, man, do they kind of push the spoiler threshold with their video:

Spoiler for Hiden:
  - They show what the Airship is
- They show that you fight Duke
- And some of the anime cutscenes look pretty late game

Not huge spoilers perhaps, but unnecessary IMO. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 09, 2008, 03:34:58 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 09, 2008, 03:20:57 AM

Quote from: EddieA on September 09, 2008, 03:11:25 AM

Good review but, man, do they kind of push the spoiler threshold with their video:

Spoiler for Hiden:
  - They show what the Airship is
- They show that you fight Duke
- And some of the anime cutscenes look pretty late game

Not huge spoilers perhaps, but unnecessary IMO. 

Some of those (especially #2) were disappointing to see.  I'm a bit curious how much of the game they played.  I'm only about 18 hours in, and I've seen nearly everything they included in that review.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 09, 2008, 03:46:56 AM »

They played the entire thing.  According to some on Neogaf, they actually showed the final boss fight.  I'm guessing that it's
Spoiler for Hiden:
Duke

Seriously, there are no circumstances where that is necessary IMO. 
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 09, 2008, 09:41:27 AM »

I didn't watch the video before posting, so I apologize if I caused anyone to see spoilers.  I hate it when reviews do that  icon_evil

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 09, 2008, 03:41:24 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 09, 2008, 03:46:56 AM

They played the entire thing.  According to some on Neogaf, they actually showed the final boss fight.  I'm guessing that it's
Spoiler for Hiden:
Duke

Seriously, there are no circumstances where that is necessary IMO. 

Good to know, although it down make me a bit worried that I'll be seeing the exact same enemies for the remaining 30+ hours.  We shall see...

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 09, 2008, 05:42:29 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on September 09, 2008, 03:41:24 PM

Good to know, although it down make me a bit worried that I'll be seeing the exact same enemies for the remaining 30+ hours.  We shall see...

Oh, I don't think you have to worry about that- the vast majority of the GT footage is from the first 20 hours of the game- they just put the odd bit of footage from the second half for whatever reason.  So far every single new dungeon or continent I've been in has new enemies and I can't imagine that changing for the rest of the game. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 11, 2008, 07:04:22 PM »

Wait a minute....does this game have offline co-op play? It was listed as having that at xbox.com, but I've recently lost all faith in the accuracies of that sites listings.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 11, 2008, 07:34:14 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on September 11, 2008, 07:04:22 PM

Wait a minute....does this game have offline co-op play? It was listed as having that at xbox.com, but I've recently lost all faith in the accuracies of that sites listings.

Yes- a second person can control another character in the battles. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: September 11, 2008, 09:05:22 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 11, 2008, 07:34:14 PM

Technically you can control all 4 characters, I think.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 12, 2008, 03:49:48 AM »

I'm now about 2/3 of the way done (I think) and still enjoying it. Grab it if you have any interest.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 12, 2008, 04:10:15 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 11, 2008, 07:34:14 PM

Well damn, I didn't realize that. I've become a bit jaded by the disappointment that Too Human and Mercs 2 didn't turn out to have offline co-op. Based on the comments here, it's obviously another great 'Tales' game. I'll now be picking it up just as soon as my son and I complete our ToS replay.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 14, 2008, 03:06:53 AM »

Anyone done with this? I'm at the point everyone is talking about the final battle tomorrow. Is that the end? Wondering if I can wait to look for more side quests or if I should do them now.

*** Update *** You can definitely go do the side quests at that point.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 03:59:53 PM by Azhag » Logged
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 15, 2008, 01:06:48 AM »

And Tales of Vesperia sold a humiliating 33,000 units on the Xbox 360. I hereby claim Microsoft's platform dead to JRPGs. When a very solid game with an actual pedigree can't put up any numbers whatsoever, it becomes increasingly obvious that the hardcore gamer is the only audience keeping the Xbox alive.

And I'd like to personally thank all those RPG fanatics that were whimpering about the dearth of JRPGs on the original Xbox, and then turned around and bought the 360's generation of JRPGs USED at Gamestop. If you don't vote with dollars to the publishers, don't expect to be given any respect on the Xbox 720.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 15, 2008, 01:39:39 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on September 15, 2008, 01:06:48 AM

And Tales of Vesperia sold a humiliating 33,000 units on the Xbox 360. I hereby claim Microsoft's platform dead to JRPGs. When a very solid game with an actual pedigree can't put up any numbers whatsoever, it becomes increasingly obvious that the hardcore gamer is the only audience keeping the Xbox alive.

Man, that's like Legendia or Abyss level numbers.  I had though this might do a bit better just because the general forum chatter is much higher with Vesperia than those two.  It was the very end of the month so it's only like three days of sales but it's very disheartening.  If Symphonia 2 under performs I really do fear that it will be the end of the franchise in NA. 
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 15, 2008, 01:55:13 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 15, 2008, 01:39:39 AM

Quote from: Dante Rising on September 15, 2008, 01:06:48 AM

Man, that's like Legendia or Abyss level numbers.  I had though this might do a bit better just because the general forum chatter is much higher with Vesperia than those two.  It was the very end of the month so it's only like three days of sales but it's very disheartening.  If Symphonia 2 under performs I really do fear that it will be the end of the franchise in NA. 

I was surprised also. There was healthy buzz on various forums, but it didn't translate into sales. I believe, to date, Lost Odyssey is the best selling JRPG on the Xbox. And that isn't saying much. I think its much more Western (or modern Final Fantasy) appearance saved it from disaster.

I know LO passed the 500,000 mark worldwide, which may be the reason some are saying MS has backed a sequel to be their personal Final Fantasy franchise.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 02:10:26 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 15, 2008, 02:24:38 AM »

At various forums, I read a lot of stories about people having trouble finding the game, so it's possible Namco undershipped and the game sold out a lot of places.  Hopefully, those people have gone back and bought it now, which would be reflected in next month's sales.  The amount of interest I've seen in the game at GameFAQs and elsewhere just isn't consistent with poor sales.

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 15, 2008, 02:30:42 AM »

Where did you get 30k from? I know that is a lot below vgchartz's estimate.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 15, 2008, 02:42:42 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on September 15, 2008, 02:24:38 AM

At various forums, I read a lot of stories about people having trouble finding the game, so it's possible Namco undershipped and the game sold out a lot of places.  Hopefully, those people have gone back and bought it now, which would be reflected in next month's sales.  The amount of interest I've seen in the game at GameFAQs and elsewhere just isn't consistent with poor sales.

Something you need to understand, and I know some folks are vehemently against pre-ordering or feel like it gets shoved down their throats, but GS (and probably other retailers as well) is ordering most titles more conservatively than usual because of the economy. If people don't pre-order, we don't get copies in big quantities. Case in point. Rock Band came out on 360 today. My store got 4 copies.

Now we did alright with Vesperia, but maybe other places didn't. It's frustrating, because the last thing I want is to not have the game folks are looking for.  At the same time, we don't want to get stuck with dozens of copies we can't sell (see NCAA 07 on 360).

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 15, 2008, 02:55:53 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 15, 2008, 02:42:42 AM

Quote from: EddieA on September 15, 2008, 02:24:38 AM

Something you need to understand, and I know some folks are vehemently against pre-ordering or feel like it gets shoved down their throats, but GS (and probably other retailers as well) is ordering most titles more conservatively than usual because of the economy. If people don't pre-order, we don't get copies in big quantities. Case in point. Rock Band came out on 360 today. My store got 4 copies.

Now we did alright with Vesperia, but maybe other places didn't. It's frustrating, because the last thing I want is to not have the game folks are looking for.  At the same time, we don't want to get stuck with dozens of copies we can't sell (see NCAA 07 on 360).

I noticed that my local Best Buy was sold out the first week (though they've since received another shipment).  I've never seen it in Target (and we're in there probably at least twice a week) though I don't know if it's a case of consistently being sold out or Target not carrying the game at all. 
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 15, 2008, 03:06:42 AM »

Quote from: Azhag on September 15, 2008, 02:30:42 AM

Where did you get 30k from? I know that is a lot below vgchartz's estimate.

Don't trust that site. ToV landed at #58 on the NPD list.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: September 15, 2008, 03:16:44 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 15, 2008, 02:42:42 AM

Yeah, I've seen that as well at my local GS. If you want a game, preorder the bloody thing! Yeah, I know everybody here hates GS. I still say you're all nuts. Just give them your $5 and be done with it.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: