http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 09:26:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tales of Vesperia announced  (Read 21888 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2008, 03:11:46 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 26, 2008, 02:29:32 PM

even after 60-plus hours

<sigh>

I want this game but I know I'll never finish it in time for all the other fall releases.  They should make a law stating all games with playtimes longer than 40+ hours can only be released in the first half of the year when it's a slow release period.

Or you could just wait to buy it until then.

Just kidding.  I wouldn't be able to do that either.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2008, 03:22:24 PM »

even after 60-plus hours
I want this game but I know I'll never finish it in time for all the other fall releases.  They should make a law stating all games with playtimes longer than 40+ hours can only be released in the first half of the year when it's a slow release period.

There you go thinking again. How dare you. The publishers are smarter than you are! They know better!

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2008, 03:26:28 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 26, 2008, 03:11:46 PM

even after 60-plus hours

<sigh>

I'm starting to think I may do that.  Right now I'm in the middle of playthroughs with Fable and The Godfather on the PC, which will last me until Mercs 2 comes out, and then that should last until STALKER, and then the WAR open beta.... plus I'm still working on Symphonia.... self control protocols establishing....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2008, 06:02:10 PM »

It looks like there's some free DLC available.  From what I've read, the DLC gives you some early skills and items to make the beginning of the game a little easier.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2008, 01:22:15 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 26, 2008, 03:56:13 AM

So, does this explain why the game sold so dang well in Japan?

Some RPGs allow you to get a leg up by doling out some extra cash for special weapons and items. For Tales of Vesperia, though, Namco Bandai has just decided to cut through all that and just let players outright buy levels for their character (via Kotaku).

That's right, at least in Japan it appears from screenshots that Tales of Vesperia is getting DLC that will offer players the chance to exchange their Microsoft points for level boosts, as well as gold and skills. "Items" available for purchase will include:

* LV Up +10 (1) 300 Microsoft Points
    * LV Up +5 (1) 200 Microsoft Points
    * 300,000 Gold (1) 300 Microsoft Points
    * Skill sets 80 Microsoft Points
    * HP Recovery Cuisine Recipe Set 100 Microsoft Points

I don't know about you, but that's really...sad. Can't beat the game? Well, you can purchase these powerups for your character for just a bit of real cash!

I don't really think this is a bad idea. It isn't a multiplayer game, and there is nothing worse than playing 50 hours in an RPG and discovering you can't defeat that one specific boss. At least this way you can see the end of the game if you've made some mistakes, your level is too low, or you no longer want to grind levels.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2008, 01:36:20 AM »

GREAT idea!!

I'd play more RPGs if this becomes more common.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2008, 01:37:07 AM »

Well, I just got my call from the super-hyped-and-loaded-with-caffeine Ashley from Gamestop (dear LORD was she hyper), so it'll be there tomorrow.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2008, 01:55:19 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on August 27, 2008, 01:22:15 AM

I don't really think this is a bad idea. It isn't a multiplayer game, and there is nothing worse than playing 50 hours in an RPG and discovering you can't defeat that one specific boss. At least this way you can see the end of the game if you've made some mistakes, your level is too low, or you no longer want to grind levels.

tell me about it (as i face the second-to-last boss in dds2) frown ...

i don't know - seems to me it should be more about designers scaling the difficulty a bit more evenly than actually selling you level-ups (as far as the free stuff, that's fine, i guess, if you're into it)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2008, 04:20:26 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 27, 2008, 01:37:07 AM

Well, I just got my call from the super-hyped-and-loaded-with-caffeine Ashley from Gamestop (dear LORD was she hyper), so it'll be there tomorrow.

they got rid of Aeris?

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!  crybaby

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2008, 05:27:53 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 27, 2008, 04:20:26 AM

Quote from: Destructor on August 27, 2008, 01:37:07 AM

they got rid of Aeris?

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!  crybaby

Yeah, I was shocked not to hear Evil Aeris call. Maybe they figure that the young-sounding Ashley is a better 'choice' for gamers getting phone calls. Or something.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2008, 05:41:18 AM »

More reviews -
8.5/10 from Gamespot
4/5 from Gamespy

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2008, 08:20:11 PM »

So does anyone have any impressions so far?
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2008, 09:57:52 PM »

Do most stores have this today?  I've been debating cancelling my Amazon order  (hasn't shipped yet!  icon_mad) and just picking it up at a B&M.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2008, 09:58:50 PM »

it probably shipped, they are slow giving out tracking numbers sometimes. call or email support to find out. i've noticed this a few times. in fact sometimes i've received the package the same day i get the email lol.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2008, 10:20:57 PM »

Quote from: Nth Power on August 27, 2008, 09:57:52 PM

Do most stores have this today?  I've been debating cancelling my Amazon order  (hasn't shipped yet!  icon_mad) and just picking it up at a B&M.

It's definitely available at my nearby Gamestop. I'll be grabbing it when I get off of work in a bit.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2008, 12:01:23 AM »

Grabbed it, but we had a really terrible thunderstorm here so I unplugged my 360 after only fifteen minutes of play. I really like what I've seen so far. Much better than the demo. The game really does have a slightly different feel than the other Tales games. The opening cinematic has a melancholy, slightly dark feel to it. Once I got past the cut scene, I was really impressed with the art direction in the first town. The graphics aren't going to win any awards, but they use the power of the 360 to give the city a greater scope. I don't think they could have implemented this sense of scale in a last-gen console. The voice acting's a mixed bag. I like the voice for the main character, but some of the other voices, especially the children, get annoying real fast.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to put any more time in until tomorrow. I'm looking forward to reading other folks' impressions until then.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2008, 01:49:25 AM »

Here are my impressions after about 45 minutes -
It starts off with a nice anime intro with a very catchy song (a first for a US Tales release), and then there's another anime movie setting up the story.  The gameplay starts with the hero Yuri going after a noble who has screwed over the inhabitants of the city's poor quarter.  The graphics look beautiful, with a soft, lush look and nicely-animated and drawn character models.  There have been quite a few amusing moments so far, from Yuri beaning guards with rocks to the humorous battle tutorial where Yuri fights two bumbling guards.  The battles are very quick to load and exit - it takes about 5 seconds from when you touch an enemy to when you start fighting.  The battles flow well, and even early on, the battles are fun and fast.  I'll be playing some more later tonight, so I'll try to add more later.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2008, 02:04:19 AM »

Wonderful- the free DLC that's already available is only for Xbox Live Gold members....
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2008, 03:58:46 AM »

Played about 2 hours and I really like it.  The only problem is that when I goto block if I am in an attack animation there is a slight pause for the block to take place wherein I get hit almost always.

The dialog does have pretty good humor mixed in and if you do get tired of the battle voices you can mute them so that is good that developers are giving us more and more options on how we want to play the game.
Now if only Hot Shots Golf allowed this on the caddies.

I also got Castle Crashers so I had to make the control scheme the same or otherwise I was hitting the wrong buttons so that is another nice feature but if you change the menu button it is only changed for battle. Y is the menu key any other time.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2008, 04:52:25 AM »

Still waiting for my collector's edition from Amazon. Grrrr......

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2008, 06:04:30 AM »

There's a neat feature in the records section that keeps track of a long list of stats.  With some of the records, you can connect to XBox Live and check leaderboards for them.  Of course, the leaders are now at a fastest finish time of 7 hours, 45 minutes, and the highest combo is 361,000, so I doubt I'll be cracking the top 10 anytime soon.  Still, it's an interesting feature for an RPG to include.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2008, 08:41:25 AM »

So yet again developers are trying to make people pay for cheat codes, for the most part Western developers got over this line of thinking.

Hell, when the PS3 version comes out I could just download a save file past any trouble areas, or just go look up on a FAQ for a good way to level up.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2008, 12:01:31 PM »

Played for about an hour and it was pretty good.

I liked the combat style even more when I changed it to be fully manual.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 28, 2008, 12:26:29 PM »

I've put in a little less than two hours (just got out of the starting town).

So far it's pretty much the same as Symphonia and Abyss with some minor improvements that really do add up.  Specifically, the game just gets off to a better and more interesting start than either of those two games in terms of story, initial dungeon, characters, etc.

Still way too early to comment much on the battle system since, like most Tales games, it's intricacies don't start coming out until 5 or so hours.  That said, it already feels a little more challenging than Abyss.  Not exactly hard, but I'm having to block a not just spam attack all the time which wasn't the case at the beginning of Abyss.

Technically it's a dramatic improvement over Abyss just because it's all so smooth with nary a technical hiccup in sight.  It was especially nice to be on a world map that didn't have a frame rate in the single digits. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2008, 01:50:39 PM »

Kevin - I agree completely. The 'failings' of running the game on the PS2 (poor frame rate, limited graphics, and load times) are all gone, and the game is so much better as a result. Of course, I've been a fan of the series for years now, so these problems have never affected what I thought of the series as a whole.

I'm really enjoying the game so far. As stated, the game just starts off better, and it's harder to boot, too. Blocking, along with dodging backwards, is actually important. Enemies will mob and overwhelm you, so positioning is useful.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 28, 2008, 06:07:16 PM »

Picked these links up off of QT3. Shows some videos of the battle system. Check this out to see what you can do when you get really, really good at the combat system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfYhvXOG4Pw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3huQAEIBfac&feature=related
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: August 28, 2008, 06:26:41 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on August 28, 2008, 06:07:16 PM

Picked these links up off of QT3. Shows some videos of the battle system. Check this out to see what you can do when you get really, really good at the combat system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfYhvXOG4Pw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3huQAEIBfac&feature=related

icon_eek

Whoa. Yeah, I can see why the devs are so happy to finally be on something other than the PS2 - there's no way that it could pull off things like the battle engine is doing in this version.

And this is why I've always loved the Tales series - the battle system never gets old. It's just so damn much fun. And now with nearly no loading times getting in and out of battle, I don't care if I get into a fight anymore.

StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2008, 06:29:03 PM »

OK, after seeing reviews, youtube videos and some impressions, I'm in.  Think I'll be off to eb after work to pick this up.  Between it and the start of college football my whole weekend is now taken up.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 28, 2008, 10:10:52 PM »

I'm just over two hours in and have arrived at Deidron Hold. All my impressions are positive so far, and the voice acting is starting to grow on me. A few notes:

--I received a grade of 19.75 after fighting the first boss and unlocked the achievement 'Secret Mission 1'
--The highest combo I've managed so far is 12 hits.
--Has anyone seen a grade bonus for 'Number of hits in final attack?' I really liked that in Tales of The Abyss. Basically, you got a bonus to your grade if you killed an enemy while chaining together a large combo. I'll be disappointed if it's gone.
--So far I've gained 3 base artes for Yuri. Has anyone unlocked an arcane arte yet?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 10:12:58 PM by Andrew Mallon » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: August 28, 2008, 10:16:57 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on August 28, 2008, 10:10:52 PM

--Has anyone seen a grade bonus for 'Number of hits in final attack?' I really liked that in Tales of The Abyss. Basically, you got a bonus to your grade if you killed an enemy while chaining together a large combo. I'll be disappointed if it's gone.
--So far I've gained 3 base artes for Yuri. Has anyone unlocked an arcane arte yet?

I thought I saw that pop up when I beat the first boss. But no, it has never come up in standard fights (short of breaking X number of hits).

And I'm at 4 base artes for Yuri and no. Something tells me they'll be just a bit later in the story. You know how the game is slowly giving you all of the options (cooking, Synthesis, etc)? Give it time methinks.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2008, 02:15:00 AM »

Against my better judgement, I broke down and picked this one up this afternoon.  Damn RPG drought.   icon_evil   About 2 hours in (leveling outside Deidron Hold), I'm liking it much more than I expected to, and the combat system hasn't become too hectic yet.  I'm still having a hell of a time stringing combos together (think by best is 6 or 7), but I'm starting to get the timing down a little bit.   The VO work is pretty good, and I actually really like the guy doing Yuri's voice.  Probably my only gripe so far is the headshot graphics they use during the cut-away dialog segments.  The rest of the game is beautiful, but those look like they were drawn by a third-grader.  What gives?

A couple questions:

-  Is there any map when you're in a location other than the overworld?  Got turned around a couple times in the castle, and it would have been nice to have something I could look at for reference.
-  Can probably just RTFM for this one, but how do you switch characters during battle?  I managed to do it once (was controlling Estelle), but couldn't figure out how to do it again.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2008, 03:40:15 AM »

The headshot graphics (also known as the game's 'skits') have looked and acted that way for years now. At least this time around they're all voiced (something that the US versions of the games have pretty much never had).

And good question on the switching character thing. I'd love to know too.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2008, 07:25:02 AM »

Does this have the offline co-op of past tales games?  I'm thinking my friend and I could play it together.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2008, 12:30:35 PM »

Yep.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2008, 01:30:10 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 29, 2008, 03:40:15 AM

The headshot graphics (also known as the game's 'skits') have looked and acted that way for years now. At least this time around they're all voiced (something that the US versions of the games have pretty much never had).

Time to do an update then.  They're simply awful, and it's very jarring to go from the beautiful in-game graphics to the amateur (at best) 'skits'.

faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2008, 01:38:24 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 29, 2008, 07:25:02 AM

Does this have the offline co-op of past tales games?  I'm thinking my friend and I could play it together.

Yes.  I picked it up last night and my son and I co-oped our way through the first hour.  It was a lot of fun. 2-4 players can play.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2008, 02:34:45 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 26, 2008, 03:26:28 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 26, 2008, 03:11:46 PM

even after 60-plus hours

<sigh>

I'm starting to think I may do that.  Right now I'm in the middle of playthroughs with Fable and The Godfather on the PC, which will last me until Mercs 2 comes out, and then that should last until STALKER, and then the WAR open beta.... plus I'm still working on Symphonia.... self control protocols establishing....

well damn, with both Infinite Undiscovery and Mercs 2 being questionable after some of the info given in their respective threads I may just grab this over the weekend.

Because I can,
Gertbeef
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2008, 09:39:48 PM »

After hearing the positive press on this and getting the RPG itch I tried to find this last night. Figured it would be an easy find, but I couldn't come up with it. Tried 4 different Gamestop/EB's, a couple Best Buys and even shot into a Target and a Wal-Mart. Some places didn't get it, and others were all sold out. Now I'm sure that's because they only got 4 copies or so, but sold out nonetheless.

Aggravating, this sounds like a fun way to kill a long weekend.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2008, 12:29:59 AM »

Raised my max combo to 33 against the egg bear. Got a new title 'Advanced Combo User'.

I've never really paid any attention to cooking in the previous Tales games, so I thought I'd actually try to figure it out this time. From the brief tutorial, it sounds like characters will learn new recipes automatically after performing a certain recipe enough? Anyone learn a new recipe from making a sandwich (the only recipe I've got so far)?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 04:28:22 PM by Andrew Mallon » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2008, 01:09:06 AM »

While I haven't learned a new recipe from cooking what I already have, I do have to say that I've found the great chef himself (whatever his name is). Yes, it works exactly like it did before - you stumble upon a goofy, normally out of place item in the town/world, and you get a new recipe for your books.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: