http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 03:28:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tales of Vesperia announced  (Read 21274 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2007, 10:12:47 AM »

At Japan's Jump Festa, Namco Bandai announced a new game in the Tales series called Tales of Vesperia.  The platform hasn't been announced, but appears to be either 360 or PS3.  The first trailer is up at Gametrailers.  The DS Tales of Innocence looks good, but I'm glad to have a full next-gen Tales game to look forward to.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 12:11:21 PM »

Always in the market for new RPGs, but what a silly name!
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 12:45:18 PM »

Game looks a bit silly to me.  How can you have a trailer if the console hasn't even been decided?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 03:54:13 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 26, 2007, 12:11:21 PM

Always in the market for new RPGs, but what a silly name!

at least it isn't something like Unforgiven Forgiveness or Destiny of Fate....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 10:21:17 PM »

It's a better name than Tales of Legendia at least.  There are some screenshots at Worthplaying, but they're probably captures from the trailer.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 02:00:30 AM »

Hope it comes out on 360.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 05:03:42 PM »

Via Neogaf, according to the latest issue of Play Magazine, this is 360 first.  The linked interview is pretty interesting.  They pretty much acknowledge that a PS3 port is very likely.  I expect it will be a similar situation to Symphonia's release- ToS on Cube sold dramatically better in the US than Japan (where it was a sales disappointment for the normally very strong franchise) until they  ported it to PS2 where it did significantly better. 

Since this is obviously going to die in Japan, it would be kinda nice if Namco made more of an effort to get it out here on a simultaneous release. 
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 06:31:43 PM »

Namco's early announcement of Tales of Symphonia 2 for the US gives me hope that they might start paying a little more attention to the US market.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 06:40:59 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on February 21, 2008, 06:31:43 PM

Namco's early announcement of Tales of Symphonia 2 for the US gives me hope that they might start paying a little more attention to the US market.

According to the Play article on Vesperia, this is the first time that they've developed a Tales game keeping the US release in mind the entire time.  They also stated that it should be the shortest interval between Japanese and US releases, though Japan is still first.  Also, it seems pretty likely that the skits will actually be voiced in the US version this time around (hope that's true for the Symphonia sequel too). 
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 06:53:59 PM »

Another Tales game?  Sign me up.  I'm still working on the PSP Radiant Mythology and the PS2 Tales of the Abyss (which has one of the best opening movies yet), and i'll still jump out and buy another.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 07:24:18 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 21, 2008, 06:40:59 PM

According to the Play article on Vesperia, this is the first time that they've developed a Tales game keeping the US release in mind the entire time.  They also stated that it should be the shortest interval between Japanese and US releases, though Japan is still first.

Very nice  icon_biggrin

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 08:56:11 AM »

RPGamer has some details regarding the game and the localization.  In addition to to the fully-voiced skits in the English version, they're also having the theme song redone in English rather than make it an instrumental.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 01:44:02 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on February 22, 2008, 08:56:11 AM

RPGamer has some details regarding the game and the localization.  In addition to to the fully-voiced skits in the English version, they're also having the theme song redone in English rather than make it an instrumental.

With all there talk of "10 Years Anniversary for Tales in the US", it would have been nice if Namco had commemorated that with localizations of the Tales of Destiny 1&2 remakes. 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 07:22:13 PM »

Kotaku reports that Famitsu has confirmed the 360 release as well:

----------
In a Q&A with Namco Bandai's PR department, Famitsu has confirmed that the latest RPG in the "Tales of" series will be released for the Xbox 360. The game was announced last December at the Jump Festa event in Tokyo, and was at the time rumored to be for the Xbox 360. Now, we know it's a sure thing. With three previous "Tales of" games having been released on Sony platforms and one for the Gamecube, the Xbox 360 comes as a bit of a surprise. Namco Bandai say that the 360 is the only platform they've decided on so far, but "regarding other platforms, we're looking at all possibilities."

As for whether the game will be released in Japan for Xbox 360 as well, Namco Bandai says that's still up in the air, and their decision will be announced shortly.
----------

Another JRPG for the Xbox 360? Someone at Microsoft is sleeping around in Japan...

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 07:31:51 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 22, 2008, 07:22:13 PM

Another JRPG for the Xbox 360? Someone at Microsoft is sleeping around in Japan...

This has been in development since before Blue Dragon released in Japan (the Vesperia team worked on TotA which IIRC released in Japan at the end of 2006), back when some thought that JRPGs might really have a future on the platform between Japan and the US.  The outlook since then is much more dire (hopefully LO will turn things around a bit in the US) so I would be surprised if there are very many new JRPGs entering development now or in the very recent past. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 07:45:07 PM »

Very cool. I've always been a big fan of the Tales series.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 08:27:57 PM »

I wish they'd announce Tales of Innocence for the DS for US release already.  The DS really needs more good RPGs.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 08:32:05 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on February 22, 2008, 08:27:57 PM

I wish they'd announce Tales of Innocence for the DS for US release already.  The DS really needs more good RPGs.

Yeah, I'm quite shocked that neither ToI nor ASH have been announced (at least AFAIK).  After years of progress on getting almost everything of note localized, I have a sinking feeling that we might slide back towards of the SNES days of missing some significant games.

I think that if both ToS 2 and ToV underperform, that could be the end of the Tales series in the US frown
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 04:00:29 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 22, 2008, 08:32:05 PM

Yeah, I'm quite shocked that neither ToI nor ASH have been announced (at least AFAIK).  After years of progress on getting almost everything of note localized, I have a sinking feeling that we might slide back towards of the SNES days of missing some significant games.

It seems to be only DS games, though.  ToI, ASH, and the Dragon Quest remakes all have not received confirmations of US release, and I don't get why.  The DS is lacking in quality RPGs, and given the number of DSes out there, you'd think someone would capitalize on this  confused

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 04:05:35 AM »

Doh!  Good call on DQ as also being a surprising omission for confirmation of US release.  With the install base out t here, I would be shocked if it wouldn't be profitable to do localizations- it's not like these games require extensive voice work. 

I hope Soma Bringer gets brought over too- it's released in Japan next week and still no US announcement.  Given that Nintendo is publishing that one and they haven't brought over ASH (or Mother 3 for that matter), Soma Bringer is another that might get lost in the cracks. 
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 10:22:40 PM »

There are some nice screenshots here.  Some of them are old, but there are a few I hadn't seen before.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 04:23:17 AM »

damn, I'm looking forward to playing this on the 360!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 03:33:06 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2008, 02:04:41 PM »

I think I will buy this.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2008, 04:04:22 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 22, 2008, 07:31:51 PM

Quote from: Ridah on February 22, 2008, 07:22:13 PM

This has been in development since before Blue Dragon released in Japan (the Vesperia team worked on TotA which IIRC released in Japan at the end of 2006), back when some thought that JRPGs might really have a future on the platform between Japan and the US.  The outlook since then is much more dire (hopefully LO will turn things around a bit in the US) so I would be surprised if there are very many new JRPGs entering development now or in the very recent past. 

I share your reservations about future JRPGs, but this generation has been wildly bountiful for the 360 in comparison to the first xbox. And we still have Last Remnant, Magna Carta 2, Cry-On, Tales of Vesperia and Infinite Undiscovery to go. Although I must say I'm really disappointed in the offerings coming up from Atlus. They are definitely shoveling "bland-in-a-box" software into an audience they know will buy their games based simply upon the Atlus name being attached to the packaging.

It will be interesting to see how well multi-platform JRPGs sell on the PS3 in comparison to the 360. Enchanted Arms bombed and I don't see Eternal Sonata doing much better when it is released. Thus I still believe, to some extent, the lack of interest for JRPGs on the 360 is because their have been no titles with any strong pedigree (Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, etc) and the games already released have been decidedly average or merely good, with Lost Odyssey being the one exception. I know there is a general consensus that the Xbox install base has already voted on JRPGs, but I cannot see something like Kingdom Hearts bombing on Microsoft's platform. The same is true of Final Fantasy.

A friend of mine made an interesting observation. In video games, just like anime, one of the largest costs associated with bringing a title to the English audience is the voice talent. Translation is actually quite inexpensive, and some very talented fan groups have even volunteered to translate for free. With the recent market fallout in the US anime industry, some publishers are looking at moving to subtitle-only anime. He thinks it would be a good idea for gaming to move in the same direction- Japanese voiceovers coupled with strong translation.  Its an interesting idea, but I'm not certain how plausible. An increasing part of the audience is expecting full voicework.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 04:05:57 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2008, 04:34:24 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on February 28, 2008, 04:04:22 PM

It will be interesting to see how well multi-platform JRPGs sell on the PS3 in comparison to the 360. Enchanted Arms bombed and I don't see Eternal Sonata doing much better when it is released. Thus I still believe, to some extent, the lack of interest for JRPGs on the 360 is because their have been no titles with any strong pedigree (Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, etc) and the games already released have been decidedly average or merely good, with Lost Odyssey being the one exception. I know there is a general consensus that the Xbox install base has already voted on JRPGs, but I cannot see something like Kingdom Hearts bombing on Microsoft's platform. The same is true of Final Fantasy.

I think it's less about bombing and more about reaching sales expectations.  KH wouldn't bomb on the 360 but would it do a million plus in Japan and 2 million plus in the US plus another million or so more in Europe?  I think that's very doubtful.  There have been rumors that we might see KH3 on the Wii and I think that's probably the best match demographically this generation for both US and Japan. 

I know I've said this before but as far as JRPGs go, for everything but FF and KH, the US market doesn't even qualify as secondary- more like tertiary.  JRPGs live and die based on how they do in Japan and I think JRPG developers are still torn on what direction to go in.  None of the 360 efforts have really stuck there and there really hasn't even been anything on PS3 yet.  I think a year and a half or so ago, when  MS was talking a big game about Japanese developers and Mistwalker's effect was an unkown (which was when projects like Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, etc were being started) there was some hope that the 360's North American audience would be lucrative so I think that hope has largely diminished. 

I think a good indicator on how things will go will be the performance of Symphonia 2 on Wii vs Vesperia on 360 (and likely PS3).  If ToS2 does considerably better than Vesperia worldwide then I think that might be a strong motivator to focus on Wii over the next gen platforms.  The Tales series is Japan's third strongest RPG series behind DQ and FF (maybe fourth now with KH), and it will likely be the first of these series to release "main entries" (ie not DQ:Swords or FF: Crystal Chronicles) on next gen platforms and I think the result may be a  bellwether of where things settle out for JRPGs this generation. 

A friend of mine made an interesting observation. In video games, just like anime, one of the largest costs associated with bringing a title to the English audience is the voice talent. Translation is actually quite inexpensive, and some very talented fan groups have even volunteered to translate for free. With the recent market fallout in the US anime industry, some publishers are looking at moving to subtitle-only anime. He thinks it would be a good idea for gaming to move in the same direction- Japanese voiceovers coupled with strong translation.  Its an interesting idea, but I'm not certain how plausible. An increasing part of the audience is expecting full voicework.

With the PS3, at least, being region free (and 360 publishers having the option of being region free if they choose), I think an untapped market would be to include an english language text option in the initial Japanese release for those titles that would otherwise be deemed too expensive to fully localize just to  benefit from some additional sales through importers.  I know there are quite a few unreleased in the US JRPGs I would have picked up if this was an option (like Front Mission 5). 
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2008, 01:54:53 AM »

Gamespot has a hands-on preview and some nice new English screenshots.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2008, 01:55:46 AM »

Damn, that really looks nice. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2008, 03:59:09 AM »

that is hawt.

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2008, 02:14:52 AM »

Gametrailers has a new trailer showing off the English voice acting.  There are also some new screenshots for Tales of Symphonia 2 at Kotaku.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2008, 09:10:27 AM »

Saw on a news post that it's 360 first, thankfully I have one.  But geez, what the heck is Sony doing?  It's like they never bothered to court developers in their own country let alone Western developers.  They need to put someone in charge of wooing as many 3rd party developers as they can, put some real money and power behind this person to close the gap.  If there is someone already doing that, well he obviously got too lazy with the PS2's success.  It'll probably be something like Eternal Sonata, it gets a PS3 port after a time.

That said, it's good to see more RPGs on the market in general, especially new RPGs with next gen (or this gen) graphics.  It's really cool to see what they're doing with a combination of highly stylized graphics of older JRPGs, and the newer console processing power.

I hope this one also includes some of the co-op aspects of previous games.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 09:22:20 AM by Turtle » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2008, 12:59:48 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 17, 2008, 09:10:27 AM

Saw on a news post that it's 360 first, thankfully I have one.  But geez, what the heck is Sony doing?  It's like they never bothered to court developers in their own country let alone Western developers.  They need to put someone in charge of wooing as many 3rd party developers as they can, put some real money and power behind this person to close the gap.  If there is someone already doing that, well he obviously got too lazy with the PS2's success.  It'll probably be something like Eternal Sonata, it gets a PS3 port after a time.

I think a PS3 port is almost a certainty and probably far sooner than Eternal Sonata's PS3 port.  As for 360 first, you have to remember that Vesperia would have started development just after Tales of the Abyss shipped (same dev team) back at the end of 2005.  Which was when the 360 was launching with lots of potential promise of doing much better in Japan.  Sony was still a year away from launch and still so all-powerful that they saw no need to try and pay for any type of exclusivity. 

Now, two years later, and it's clear that MS's hopes of getting a substantially larger foothold in Japan were a pipe dream but also that Sony is now weak enough that they really need to be more aggressive in courting third parties.  So I think that pretty much guarantees a ToV port sooner rather than later and, for all we know, there could already be another PS3-focused Tales game in the pipeline.

Plus, it's not exactly a first for the series.  Symphonia was Gamecube only at a time when PS2 was obviously in complete control.  But Japanese sales of Symphonia were weaker than normal so it was eventually ported to PS2 over there where it did much better.  And Symphonia did far better here than any other Tales title has ever done so the end result is that Symphonia is one of the most successful in the series. 
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2008, 10:14:36 PM »

More screenshots, lower-res than the ones Eddie posted I'm not sure the character designs are very inspired, but I'm still eagerly anticipating this one.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2008, 12:35:20 AM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on June 07, 2008, 10:14:36 PM

Tigger Final Strike!! Attack!

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2008, 06:27:18 AM »

She blinded me with science!

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2008, 03:02:04 PM »

Demo is up on Live!  Go go go!

Whoops, I didn't read the whole thing --
"Availability: Asia and India"

Break out that Japanese account smile
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 03:03:55 PM by kathode » Logged
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2008, 04:19:19 PM »

Quote from: kathode on June 20, 2008, 03:02:04 PM

Demo is up on Live!  Go go go!

Whoops, I didn't read the whole thing --
"Availability: Asia and India"

Break out that Japanese account smile

WOULD LIKE

OK-is also gold only right now so I guess we have to wait either way frown

Ok update #2-Hong Kong its gold only-probably because its in english? On the japanese store im downloading it now, but im guessing its in japanese? Im confused.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 04:23:44 PM by Calvin » Logged
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2008, 04:30:52 PM »

Ok update 3. I can confirm that it is in English and is available for Silver on the japanese marketplace. GO GO GO. I can't play now but I will later.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2008, 07:35:21 PM »

The demo is very disappointing. Remember all that talk about Vesperia being targeted to an older audience? They lied. The first cut scene is a slapstick scene about lovable thirteen year olds outwitting guards. The voice acting is terrible, below Saturday morning cartoon standards. And the character designs are more juvenile than either Symphonia or Abyss. I was really expecting more after reading some of the developer interviews.

That said, the graphics are very appealing, especially if you like the Tales cartoon style. I'd say the graphics look about the same level as Tales of The Abyss, only in HD. The field maps in the demo are all forest areas, and they all have significantly more detail and are quite nice to look at. Animations are also quite good, but not a huge step up from previous titles.

Of course, the real heart of the game is the battle system. I love the combat in the Tales series, and the combat is just as good in this one. The only thing I don't like is that the strike and artes buttons are reversed. Hopefully it's because it's a a JP demo and the controls will be reconfigured for the NA release. It was hard for me to really get a handle on combat until I get used to the new button layout. I'll have to check to see if there is option to change the buttons in the demo.

Bottom line for me is that I'm still looking forward to the game, but I've dialed down my expectations quite a bit. Unfortunately, it's only a half-step forward for the series. It is not a next-gen Tales game. A word of warning though: if you don't like the Tales series or don't like the Japanese anime style, don't bother downloading the demo.  You'll just be wasting bandwidth.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2008, 07:45:18 PM »

Thanks, Andrew.  Reactions from Tales fans on Neogaf seem very similar- somewhat disappointed that it doesn't seem to be a proper "next-gen" launch of the franchise but still enjoyable.  I'll probably be giving it a shot this weekend. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2008, 08:13:30 PM »

I haven't even tried this yet, but what is the best last gen Tales game? Eh-I guess limit your answers to PS2 games if possible? Thats the only last gen system I have along with the DS.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: