http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 01:56:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tales Of Symphonia GOLD!  (Read 2282 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2004, 06:04:20 PM »

At least according to Gamershell

I am sitll on the fence about the game since it is more of an action RPG, and I would have to dig out the Cube, dust it off and plug it in to play but I do like those Japaness RPGs.

Is anyone planning on rushing out to get it?

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 06:41:40 PM »

I'm right there with you, farley2k. I'm hesitant on picking this game, since it is an action RPG. So, I figure I'll be waiting on some reviews and impressions first.

Is it just me, though, or is every game an Action RPG nowdays...?

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 02:17:53 AM »

Just to be clear, the Tales games are quite a bit different than a typical action-RPG like Dark Alliance or Champions of Norrath.  Most of the time, the game is just like a standard console role-playing game, with cities to explore, lots of people to talk to, and dungeons with puzzles to solve.  You get into battles just as you would in games like Final Fantasy X, although the enemies are visible on screen rather than randomly encountered.

Once in battle, the action part comes into play.  You target an enemy, and can either attack or use a special move, as well as jump.  There's an explanation of the battle system at GameFAQs.  Although I enjoy the more traditional battle systems, this system works well too.

Also, it's great to see RPG season begin in earnest.  We've already had Shining Force this month, ToS and Sudeki next month, and Ys VI, Wild ARMs Alter Code F, Suikoden 4, Star Ocean 3, SMT: Nocturne, Shadow Hearts 2, Phantom Brave, Paper Mario 2, Mega Man X Command Mission, LoTR : The Third Age, KOTOR 2, Kingdom Hearts : Chain of Memories, Growlanser Generations, Fable, Digital Devil Saga, The Bard's Tale, and Baten Kaitos all (hopefully) by the end of the year  :shock:

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 03:38:44 AM »

I'm gonna try and finish off Full Spectrum, Tenchu, Killswitch and Breakdown and I'll be able to pick this one up...

I like the battle system, from what I've seen. It has a similiar vibe to the rest of the Tales series as well as to the dev team's roots from making Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile.

It looks like an extremely solid game.

You gotta check out all the options you can give your party in regards to AI, as well as having tha ability to control them, or have a friend step in and help you out in battles...

I think I am gonna preorder it so I can get the Artbook with it.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 04:24:14 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
I think I am gonna preorder it so I can get the Artbook with it.

Artbook? From who? *runs around trying to preorder*

The Tales series was always best described as an Action/RPG, with the action part being the combats themselves. In the prior two titles (PS1 and SNES (Japan only)), the battles are side-scroller fights, with your other three characters controlled by the AI (or another controller). There's actually quite a bit of stragety as well with how and when you want to use your attacks/spells. Nice combo abilities because of it.

I know I'll be buying this game on day 1.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 06:27:16 PM »

Both Gamestop and EBGames.com have the art book listed as a bonus for pre-ordering.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 01:11:58 AM »

And for some reason the Artbook that Eb shows looks more enticing than the GS one... however I am boycotting EB for now.. so Gamestop it is! That and I think a couple of th GS employees worship me...seriously I am the Geek God or something to them  Tongue  :twisted:

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 04:53:43 PM »

I was really gung ho for this game until I saw a preview for it on X Play last week. First off, combat looks a little too action heavy for me right now. This year I've played and finished Ninja Gaiden, Jak II, and Viewtiful Joe, which are some of the toughest games I've ever played. I want to play an RPG after I finish Thief 3, but I'm looking for something without frantic combat and a low frustration factor. This game doesn't look like it.

Also, the other thing that really bugged me was the world or field exploration screen. The game doesn't have random battles, but instead has these black... blobs that are randonly generated and move across the screen. If you run into one, you have an encounter. It just looked completely stupid.

Oh, and from what I heard on the preview, the voice acting is terrible. But, I guess that kind of a given for Japanese RPGs.  This and Sudeki are scheduled to come out on the same day. I may just skip  both of them unless my mood changes radically over the next several weeks.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 05:29:39 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
Also, the other thing that really bugged me was the world or field exploration screen. The game doesn't have random battles, but instead has these black... blobs that are randonly generated and move across the screen. If you run into one, you have an encounter. It just looked completely stupid.

I like the way you can see enemies on the map, rather than random encounters, but would it be that hard to have a representation of what the monsters were?  The black blobs just sound lame.  It's kind of like they only went half-way with a pretty good idea there.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2004, 06:17:11 PM »

On a somewhat unrelated note, I hate piss poor voice acting that seems to be apparent in most console games. Anyone who's in charge of hiring, and gives the ok to these "professional" voice actors/actresses should be straightjacketed, put into a steel box no bigger than 5x5ft., and then be made to listen to said recordings repeatedly, while the box emits an electric shock after each word. And that's just for the first year. :evil:

That is all.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2004, 06:45:37 PM »

Not to be a fanboy or anything, but just to clear up some things slywink

The blobs for enemies is only for the overworld sections.  For some reason, the overworld is plain and ugly compared to the rest of the game.  In dungeons and other non-overworld areas, the wandering monsters are representative of what the enemy looks like.

As for the voice acting, I've heard that it is poorly delivered and unemotional.  I don't know why, since there are big names voicing the characters, including Tara Strong (Rikku from FFX and X-2), Cam Clarke (MGS), and the ubiquitous Jennifer Hale (Bastila from KOTOR).  The voice acting sounded okay in the videos I've watched, although I can see what they mean about being unemtional.

IGN has an extensive FAQ here.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2004, 10:16:33 PM »

The blobs for enemies is only for the overworld sections. For some reason, the overworld is plain and ugly compared to the rest of the game. In dungeons and other non-overworld areas, the wandering monsters are representative of what the enemy looks like.

Oooooh, so it does have an overworld. That's a +1 in my book. I loved the world maps in the PS1 RPGs and have never understood why PS2 games ditched them. To me, the world map in the PS FF games coveyed more of a sense of scope and also provided plenty of opportunities to stick in Easter eggs. Overworlds just add that X factor to a game.

Despite my grousing about little details, I'm sure I'll pick up this and Sudeki on the day of release. Willpower thy name is not Andrew.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2004, 10:50:48 PM »

I'll still wait and see on both this and Sudeki, but I'm in complete agreement over the worldmap. One of the crucial parts in any an RPG to make the thing feel more epic, IMHO.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2004, 03:29:03 AM »

I've read in Egm, Game Informer and Gamepro that the voice acting is Okay to good. I guess it depends on the listener...

Eitherway I'm still IN, I can't play regular turn base RPGs anymore, I fall asleep, so action battles sound great to me.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2004, 04:06:28 AM »

From what I understand this game was a big hit in Japan when it was released last year (at least critically) so it should definitely be pretty good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: