http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 12:44:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tales of Symphonia - Final Verdict?  (Read 1638 times)
JCC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2005, 06:30:35 PM »

Now, that I have finished playing (the great) Thief  2 - Shadows of the Metal Age fan expansion, I am hungering for some console RPG action again. A friend leant me this a while back and think I am going to fire it up at last. Did people generally enjoy this one? Is it worth my 40+ hour investment?

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 06:46:51 PM »

First off, it will probably be 60+ hours. It's one long game. I finished it in 64 and I didn't do any optional stuff. With that said, it's a lot of fun if the combat system clicks for you. The real-time battle system is just awesome, IMO. It's the only RPG I've ever played where I could spend hours doing nothing but fight random battles.

As for the story, typical Japanese RPG stuff. Character design and voice acting is good, not great. One big plus in my book though is that this is one of the few current-gen RPGs that has a world map.

If you're looking for a game in a similar vein to the PS-era Final Fantasies coupled with a real-time combat engine, you could do a lot worse than Symphonia.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 06:58:17 PM »

I agree pretty much exactly with what Andrew said. It's an extremely long action/rpg, but the action part of the fighting will keep you entertained for a while. It's surprisingly deep, and the AI that backs you up tends to know what they're doing.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 07:00:01 PM »

I'm probably 8 hours in and loving it.  Andrew's right about the battle system - it's a heck of a lot of fun.   The other thing I love about this game is it has a synopsis.  Which means if you are like me and sometimes put games down for a week or two and then come back to them, the synopsis will help you get right back on track.

Why don't more RPG's have a built-in synopsis?   :cry:

I've been giving SMT: Nocturne a shot and all i can think about is how I want to go back to playing Tales of Symphonia.  Which I'm going to do this weekend!   biggrin
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 07:03:06 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
With that said, it's a lot of fun if the combat system clicks for you.

This is the key.  I liked the story, characters, and setting, but really didn't enjoy the combat system.  Even after 8+ hours, combat felt incredibly chaotic and I didn't think the AI did a very good job controlling the other characters.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 07:17:15 PM »

I like it and I hate RPGs.

Don't know what that really says about the game... :wink:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 07:22:17 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
I'm probably 8 hours in and loving it.  Andrew's right about the battle system - it's a heck of a lot of fun.   The other thing I love about this game is it has a synopsis.  Which means if you are like me and sometimes put games down for a week or two and then come back to them, the synopsis will help you get right back on track.

Yes, the synopsis is a very cool feature that all RPGs desperately need for the absent-minded like me.

And completely off topic - warning, your Location field forced me to turn away from the customer I was about to help at work thanks to me breaking out into a laugh. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 09:04:56 PM »

I really didnt like any part of it frown
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 09:18:56 PM »

Very good, very enjoyable combat.  Story seems cool in the beginning but quickly nosedives.

Overall a very good game, if only because the combat is so alluring.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Natjak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 10:07:25 PM »

The combat is fun and engaging but the rest of the game is pretty boring. Unless you've played every other RPG out there you can do better.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005, 10:13:56 PM »

It's still my favorite game on the gamecube.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2005, 05:38:42 AM »

Thanks for all the comments!

I started this tonight, and while it's somewhat fun, I am completely lost at the combat right now. I'll keep plugging away.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2005, 10:49:32 PM »

You can also stop combat at any time and issue commands, as well you can set all the parameters for each character, from where they stand to who they attack to what percentage of MP they can use on spells.

The combat system seems very thin on that top layer, but if you take just a little time you can see that it has a lot to offer.

I'm actually 70% through and haven't had the chance to go  back.

My only complaint is the summon attacks, they're tough to get to work consistently.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2005, 07:06:02 AM »

I'm about halfway through, and while it's fun and well-made, it hasn't "grabbed" me yet.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2005, 04:09:50 PM »

really looked forward to this game, got it the day it came out, really wanted to like it, was impressed by the very good mechanics & graphics, got a handle on the combat,... but...

i eventually just could not get past what, to my mind, has to be the most boring, lifeless, empty group of characters of any current gen rpg i've played...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2005, 03:53:29 PM »

Quote from: "JCC"
Thanks for all the comments!

I started this tonight, and while it's somewhat fun, I am completely lost at the combat right now. I'll keep plugging away.

JCC, combat is suppose to be mysterious at first.  As you progress, you will get the hang of things.  And the game will give you combat tips as you progress.  Don't worry about being lost.  

I loved this game too.  I think the story was lame at first, but got better as it went on.  I put in 70+ hours into it.  The difficulty level was perfect in my opinion, not too hard.  That is how I like my games.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: