http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 04:12:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tales of Monkey Island plus Monkey Island SE  (Read 4589 times)
Tals
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2009, 06:42:27 AM »

Played some more - this is a really excellent effort. I like how they have the F10 key which instantly changes it to the original game, you realise quite how much they have done. Full audio, nice graphics it just works. Now just getting to the first part where i'm going to have to start thinking to progress smile

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2009, 07:04:28 AM »

It's fun to hear the text from the original with full voiceover for once. Some of the characters are absolutely hilarious with their new voices, such as the shopkeeper ("Ahoy there, fancypants!"). I keep coming across stuff I had forgotten about, such as this particular section from when you're trying to learn swordfighting:

Swordfighting instructor: "Alright, so we're fighting up a storm. There's a pause in the fighting, and I say: 'You fight like a dairy farmer!'. You respond?"
Guybrush: "You must be thinking of someone else. I'm not a farmer."
Swordfighting instructor: "... I can see we've got a lot of work to do here."

icon_lol
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2009, 11:36:26 AM »

i finished 'secret' yesterday...part 1 took close to about 5 hrs,there was some really obscure stuff in there,and getting all the insults of the pirates took about 30-40 minutes..whereas Part 2(the journey) took about 20 minutes,LOL

gonna try and do a speedrun today,try and get it done within 3 hrs for the achievement,and this time not hold down X for a tip so i can get that achievement as well

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2009, 04:42:02 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 16, 2009, 07:55:19 PM

I have that bug in Windows 7. It can also be fixed by changing the resolution within the game.

What do you mean? Change it to a different resolution, apply it, then change it back?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2009, 04:54:17 AM »

I had to do the disabling themes thing on Win7, but it worked fine after that.

I generally like the new graphical style, though the animations are a bit jarring in context.  Obviously, it's using the exact same animations that the original does, but seeing these beautifully drawn characters moving like in the original can be a bit jarring.  I also frequently wish that the verbs were constantly on screen, since the left and right click options aren't always what I want.  The inventory being off screen isn't as big a deal (though sometimes if you want to try using one inventory item on another, it can be massively annoying as the inventory panel disappears once you click on the first item).

However, there was one spot that I actually found much, much easier to do in classic mode (part 1 spoilers):

Spoiler for Hiden:
The part where you have to take the cup of grog to the prison and pour it from mug to mug before they melt is hellishly hard with the SE version, as you have to pull up the verb and inventory screens, click the first mug, then pull up the inventory again and click the second, and do it quickly so the mug doesn't melt.  This is way, way easier to do in classic, where the verbs and inventory are right there on screen all the time.

Really, any complaints about the SE version are pretty much mitigated by having a (as far as I can tell) pixel-perfect version of the original available at a key press.  I do a lot of swapping.  I'm curious to see how it's received on the 360.  It looks like a current game, but it's still an old school adventure game, complete with obscure hints and very little hand-holding.  I can definitely see a lot of people getting frustrated when the game doesn't lead them around by the nose.  Now bring on Day of the Tentacle and Monkey Island 2!

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2009, 09:06:02 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on July 20, 2009, 04:42:02 AM

Quote from: TiLT on July 16, 2009, 07:55:19 PM

I have that bug in Windows 7. It can also be fixed by changing the resolution within the game.

What do you mean? Change it to a different resolution, apply it, then change it back?

Yeah, that's what I mean. I've also heard that hitting alt-tab twice helps, though I haven't tested it. It's still better to do the "disable themes" trick though.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2009, 06:12:34 PM »

I just went with the 'disable visual themes' and it worked fine.

I'm enjoying the game so far, it took me about 30 minutes to get used to the pace as lately all the games I play throw me right into action.

Sean Lama
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2009, 11:57:36 PM »

Kind of frustrated...

Spoiler for Hiden:

So, I was stuck for what seemed like forever. I used the hint system to help me out, but it's frustrating because I don't think I would have ever discovered the solution without a hint. Outside the bar's kitchen, where you need to scare off the seagull to pick up the fish, did anyone else actually realize you needed to walk on the plank behind the bird? Honestly, I clicked on each end of the floor a few times before, it never occurred to me that the plank the seagull was on was loose... There was no visual indication of it even.

I don't mind puzzles, but I despise having to click every inch of the screen in hopes of discovering a solution. Are there many more "puzzles" like this?

Sean Lama
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2009, 01:16:01 AM »

Ridah, I went to the hints for that as well.  It is indeed pretty obtuse, but I don't think there are any other ones like that.  On the other hand, the item that you get is the absolutely amazing solution to a different puzzle.  That kind of makes up for it.

But yeah, that's old games for you.  Imagine if there were no hint system/internet.

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2009, 05:42:16 AM »

I found that one quite easy as it was obvious you needed the fish and the only query was whether the solution was on the screen or another item

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2009, 03:00:17 PM »

good news for the franchise.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2009, 03:14:48 PM »

episode 2 is due the 20th  thumbsup

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2009, 02:16:59 PM »

screenshots from episode 3, which is due soon.  only 2 episodes left!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2009, 09:13:14 PM »

also posted this in steals and deals, but figured I'd hit here too:

in celebration of talk like a pirate day!  of course they aren't selling the other seperately, all I've seen is a bundle, so you'll still have to buy the pack if you get hooked.

great promotion though!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 09:15:50 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2009, 07:11:59 AM »

First episode is up and free for today only

http://www.telltalegames.com/playlikeapirate

Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2009, 05:22:56 PM »

Quote from: Tals on September 19, 2009, 07:11:59 AM

First episode is up and free for today only

http://www.telltalegames.com/playlikeapirate

Their Sam & Max series did not grab me at all, but this one looks more interesting so I snagged the freebie to take a look.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2009, 07:29:23 PM »

I signed up at the website and got an email containing a download link and a serial number to register the game.  However, the game never asked for the serial number.  Does anyone know if it's supposed to ask for it?  I don't want to get into the game and find out it's just the trial version.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2009, 07:34:32 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on September 19, 2009, 07:29:23 PM

I signed up at the website and got an email containing a download link and a serial number to register the game.  However, the game never asked for the serial number.  Does anyone know if it's supposed to ask for it?  I don't want to get into the game and find out it's just the trial version.

the same thing happened to me, but I got past the point where the demo ends so it's the whole thing.

Because I can,
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2009, 08:03:20 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on September 19, 2009, 07:29:23 PM

You only need that if it can't link back to their server and authenticate the first time you run it, otherwise it's automagic.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2009, 12:40:38 AM »

chapter 3 came out to day.  it's over the hump!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2010, 03:33:55 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on July 22, 2009, 11:57:36 PM

Kind of frustrated...

Spoiler for Hiden:

So, I was stuck for what seemed like forever. I used the hint system to help me out, but it's frustrating because I don't think I would have ever discovered the solution without a hint. Outside the bar's kitchen, where you need to scare off the seagull to pick up the fish, did anyone else actually realize you needed to walk on the plank behind the bird? Honestly, I clicked on each end of the floor a few times before, it never occurred to me that the plank the seagull was on was loose... There was no visual indication of it even.

I don't mind puzzles, but I despise having to click every inch of the screen in hopes of discovering a solution. Are there many more "puzzles" like this?

I finally got to playing the SE over the weekend and that spot got me too.  I've kinda declared this a Monkey Island week: on Sunday I played through the SE and Chapter 1 of Tales, played through Chapter 2 last night and hope to play through an episode each night.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2010, 08:04:49 AM »

just finished chapter 4 of Tales, and
Spoiler for Hiden:
holy cow did the series take a somber tone!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2010, 09:07:21 AM »

finished up tonight, and I have to say I really enjoyed the return to Monkey Island.  I hope they do another series (with more Morgan!), but I have to admit I'll probably wait until it is done before playing it.

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2011, 06:37:59 PM »

I bought Tales back when it came out and never got to it. Finally put time into episode 1 (it's longer than I thought, I think I'm nearly 4 hours in and it's still going) and am pleasantly surprised at how humorous and fun it is. I'm looking forward to the rest of the episodes  thumbsup

Sean Lama
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: