http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 05:23:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tales of Legendia Coming  (Read 1240 times)
Zarkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 12, 2005, 06:14:24 PM »

Here is our announcement, and there's a link there to our screens too.  Talk it up!
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 06:28:23 PM »

WOO FRICKIN" HOO!

Now why the hell won't they release the 2D Tales games here?!?!?!?!?!?!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 06:33:08 PM »

This is great news, but since they're announcing Legendia first, it looks like they're skipping over bringing Tales of Rebirth to the US.  That's a shame, as it's supposed to be a very good game.  Hopefully, someone else will pick it up for US release (if Namco would allow that) or we'll see it on a handheld.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 06:40:41 PM »

if you click on "tales of legendia" on the front page, no prob, but if you click on "here" in this post, than click on "tales of legendia" you get this quaint message (tried it twice, cz i believed you!)... although it worked correctly on the third try - twice more it did this:

i must be a sucker for punishment :roll:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 08:07:17 PM »

Mytocles - weird. I've seen that happen on game entries that haven't quite made it into the database yet, but after giving it a try myself, it seems to be working.

*kicks the database* biggrin

On the flip side, I'm glad to see more Tales games here in the US. Excellent RPG series, IMHO.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 02:13:01 AM »

thanks, Destructor... i let it rest after the kick, and it's recovered. smile

but, i am - once again - confused.  i guess i always thought "real-time" equated with "action," as in "action rpg" - but, it must not.  i found some screen shots of Tales of Legendia that show what looks like a "turn-based" game:

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0503/game050318a.shtml

my questions are - what's the difference between real-time and non real-time (if there is such a thing), and, are the terms used only when referring to RPG's?

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 03:13:39 AM »

mytocles- action-RPG is typically combat more akin to Zelda or Kingdom Hearts.  You fight enemies in the same playfield as exploration with the same full range of 3D movement you would have otherwise.  Also corresponds well with "hack and slash" style gameplay.

A real-time combat system like Tales of Symphonia, Legandia, or Star Ocean utilizes a separate combat screen similar to many traditional turn-based RPGs but features all real-time attacks.  You control one character in real-time, though not necessarilly with full 3D movement, while the computer AI takes care of the rest of your party.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 02:09:31 PM »

thanks, K.G., i guess i still have to wait for Oblivion or Dungeon Lords, then. :wink:  i've always known that i was safe looking for action rpg's, but started confusing that with real-time.  probably the only turn-based console games i've ever really liked were the KOTOR games, and those barely qualify as turn-based.  maybe Tales of Legendia will be as good... i'll keep an eye on it anyway. maybe i can get into real-time rpg's. i just don't like the random pop-up battles, a few button presses - and then just sitting there watching everything unfold.

btw, i was sitting here this morning studying your answer, when someone on G4TV said something to the effect of... "so it's all real-time, an action rpg, not a turn-based type".  statements like that probably are what led me to think real-time = action, which is obviously an over-simplifiction.

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 05:21:08 PM »

maybe i can get into real-time rpg's. i just don't like the random pop-up battles, a few button presses - and then just sitting there watching everything unfold.

Its not usually sitting there watching things unfold.  A real-time battle system typically gives you a much more active role since attacks occur much quicker.  Its not like Final Fantasy- select type of attack and sit back and watch combat animation.

As to random pop-up battles, I think those are gradually being phased out in console RPGs.  More and more games are opting to show you potential encounters on the world map so you have some idea of what you'll be facing, when, and may even be able to avoid them.  

If you have a Gamecube, I'd suggest renting Tales of Symphonia  to get a feel for this.  Its got probably the best real-time combat system out there and also doesn't have the random encounters you mentioned.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2005, 08:00:44 PM »

KG,

i looked into Tales of Symphonia a bit, and it does look fun.  i'll at least put it in my "when the price drops..." category.  I remember a little bit ago people were raving about it, so that's good, too.  thanks for the tips!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2005, 08:43:33 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
maybe i can get into real-time rpg's. i just don't like the random pop-up battles, a few button presses - and then just sitting there watching everything unfold.

Its not usually sitting there watching things unfold.  A real-time battle system typically gives you a much more active role since attacks occur much quicker.  Its not like Final Fantasy- select type of attack and sit back and watch combat animation.

As to random pop-up battles, I think those are gradually being phased out in console RPGs.  More and more games are opting to show you potential encounters on the world map so you have some idea of what you'll be facing, when, and may even be able to avoid them.  

If you have a Gamecube, I'd suggest renting Tales of Symphonia  to get a feel for this.  Its got probably the best real-time combat system out there and also doesn't have the random encounters you mentioned.

He's hit the nail on the head.  This game did 'Real Time' battles just right.  You can assign AI actions to your characters even, and only step in to heal and force them to cast spells.  Or you can take full controll of a character and bash and spellcast directly.  Even better, got three friends who want to help, pass them a controller.  Then they can support you in the fights.  Now, the downside to that is they'll be sitting there doing nothing when there aren't battles going on, but it's a good strong story, so they may be entertained as well.

Tim thought highly of it in his review ( http://www.consolegold.com/Reviews/review/241.html ) and it's right up there with Skies of Arcadia for story and acting in my collection.  I think I'm playing it for the third time now. smile  (Even better...you can buy special abilities when you play it again using your grade.  This can make the game even more fun.  I bought the abilitie that lets me carry over all the titles I've earned from the previous game.)  IF Tales of Legendia is anything like Symphonia,  I'm 'IN' as it were.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: