http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 09:40:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Your PS2 - horizontal or vertical?  (Voting closed: April 24, 2005, 05:53:48 PM)
Horizontal - 21 (75%)
Vertical and it works fine - 7 (25%)
Tried Vertical - had too many problems - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taking a Poll - PS2, Horizontal or Vertical?  (Read 1699 times)
mytocles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2005, 05:53:48 PM »

Okay,

I'm considering standing one of my PS'2 in a vertical position... anyone had any problems with this - and what kind, who does it, who doesn't, etc....

thanks!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 06:11:41 PM »

I have mine in the vertical position because it fits best among my devices that way.  I don't even use the stand.  It works fine.  I was wondering if the discs would fall out when it opens, but they never have.  It was designed with this in mind; even the PS2 logo on the drive tray rotates!

I used to have to keep my PS1 upside down for it to work.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 06:23:55 PM »

Currently its horizontal but thats because I switched entertainment centers.  I had it vertical for approx 2 years before that and never had a single problem.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 09:17:34 PM »

From my understanding, you never, ever, ever want to put the PS2 on its side.

Why? You're making the CD drive and the CD reader work harder as it's now constantly fighting gravity. And the PS2 drive in general isn't exactly one of the best devices to begin with...

Ever wonder why 99.9% of all CD drives are horizontal in a PC? That's why.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 09:55:44 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

Why? You're making the CD drive and the CD reader work harder as it's now constantly fighting gravity. And the PS2 drive in general isn't exactly one of the best devices to begin with...

I don't think that's true.

From a Physics standpoint, the arm the lens is on is not moving on the same axis as gravity, so gravity won't affect how much work the lens arm is doing.

IIRC, the lens arm moves back and forth in the same direction the CD-drive faces.  So as long as you don't have the PS2 with the CD-drive pointing straight up in the air or straight down at the ground, gravity will have no affect on the lens arm, since they're on seperate axes.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 10:35:46 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

From a Physics standpoint, the arm the lens is on is not moving on the same axis as gravity, so gravity won't affect how much work the lens arm is doing.

IIRC, the lens arm moves back and forth in the same direction the CD-drive faces.  So as long as you don't have the PS2 with the CD-drive pointing straight up in the air or straight down at the ground, gravity will have no affect on the lens arm, since they're on seperate axes.

LE, you are quite correct in what you said, but Tim was referring to the spindle, not the arm.  The spindle has to work with defying gravity when on its side, rather than an even pull on the whole disk (and not in direction of spinning ) when flat.

Now, I've got a generation 1 PS2 (bought a year after launch) and it's been on it's side the whole time.  Drive spins up just fine, but I get disk read errors alot on the dual layer disks.  I think my lens is out of alignment or has suffered from being used so much.  Going to get it sent in to Sony soon...mostly because if I call them and answer the questions correctly, they'll repair it for free.  I just have to pay for shipping.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 10:54:55 PM »

Horizontal, and also, like stiffler, I gotta put my PSX upside down for it to work as well.  Cooky.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 11:40:38 PM »

Vertical for 3 years now with no problems.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 11:53:54 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"

LE, you are quite correct in what you said, but Tim was referring to the spindle, not the arm.  The spindle has to work with defying gravity when on its side, rather than an even pull on the whole disk (and not in direction of spinning ) when flat.

Now, I've got a generation 1 PS2 (bought a year after launch) and it's been on it's side the whole time.  Drive spins up just fine, but I get disk read errors alot on the dual layer disks.  I think my lens is out of alignment or has suffered from being used so much.  Going to get it sent in to Sony soon...mostly because if I call them and answer the questions correctly, they'll repair it for free.  I just have to pay for shipping.

Ahhh.  That makes sense.  I'd just assumed he meant the arm, since that's what I've always heard is the PS2's bugaboo.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 12:21:02 AM »

Vertical, Horizontal...they still fail too often on me. frown

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 12:48:22 AM »

Ahhh.  That makes sense.  I'd just assumed he meant the arm, since that's what I've always heard is the PS2's bugaboo.

Too true.  It seems (and you might look at the PS2 hardware section of GameFAQs  for more specific info.  I believe a lens in the early drives was very easy to knock out of alignment or it would come shipped that way.  Which is why Sony will repair some 1st gen PS2s at their cost (you just have to pay to ship it to them).

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 12:49:14 AM »

Quote from: "Ragnarok"
Vertical for 3 years now with no problems.

Same here.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 01:18:53 AM »

I'm contempiating going vertical on my PStwo as well.  The stand is only $10, so, might be nice to save some space.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 01:42:13 AM »

Quote from: "ChaoZ"
I'm contempiating going vertical on my PStwo as well.  The stand is only $10, so, might be nice to save some space.

I did it because it gives me so much more room. I squeeze it in between the dreamcast and the gcn. Fits nicely right there. On the same size shelf the xbox takes up a whole shelf.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 11:55:06 AM »

Never had it vertical.  It just looks unnatural to have it on it's side.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2005, 12:13:11 PM »

It just looks unnatural to have it on it's side.

Yes, but you can rotate the PS2 logo....wonder how many engineers it took for that one.  :twisted:

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2005, 01:11:31 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
It just looks unnatural to have it on it's side.

Yes, but you can rotate the PS2 logo....wonder how many engineers it took for that one.  :twisted:

When I realized you could do that, I wondered why they even bothered

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2005, 01:28:42 PM »

Horizontal, but if I add anything to my HT area, I'll have to set it up vertically.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2005, 02:05:41 PM »

Now you know why i asked, LOL!  I've been telling everyone to never put their unit on it's side - then ended up with my reorganization dilemma. It's the issue of squeezing all the consoles into one area, and the PS2 is the only one "made" to go vertical.  Right now, i have a NES, SNES, N64, Cube, Dreamcast, PS2, and XBox to fit into an area apx. 1' X 3' - and there is a perfect space for the vertical PS2, which would also greatly improve air flow to it and the XBox. I will have to rig a fan in the same space if I keep the ps2 horizontal.

I realize it's a small poll, but I notice that either no one has had problems, or hasn't voted on problems, with the vertical approach.

btw, the number to call Sony for Disc Read Errors (your unit must have an intact warranty sticker) is - 1-800-345-SONY.  

Also BTW -The arm that connects the laser assembly to the worm gear is often the source of DRE's.  The arm has two plastic teeth which fit into the groove on the gear.  The teeth become worn, the plastic arm itself lessens it's pressure on the groove (it's plastic!), and sticky, grimy stuff fills up the groove.  You can extend it's life by cleaning the gear and the teeth, and by removing and bending (or bolstering, or shimming) the plastic arm so that it puts more pressure on the gear, or simply replace it - they're cheap (they even have part metal ones now, although the teeth are still plastic).

Thank you all - and More Answers Please! Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: