http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 10:36:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Table Tennis Impressions  (Read 4374 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2006, 11:15:25 AM »

I noticed that too.  Perhaps our crack GT Staff Reviewer (aka: Devil) will have a full report sometime this morning.  

Speaking of which, he and I had fun messing around with this game last night.  Of course we lose track of the score and who is serving and such, as we are so busy trashing real-life athletes, but I won as usual, which is what really counts in the end.   :wink:

At one point, we had a 74 hit rally going, which is pretty good, considering we were badmouthing Starshifter the whole time, not really paying attention to the point.   Tongue

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2006, 11:20:55 AM »

Lol, good job whooping up on poor devil.  See all that training you did with me paid off, young grasshopper!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2006, 11:47:43 AM »

I played as the big power guy last night against Devil.  He is too big and awkward for my tastes, but man is he strong!

I then took the French guy with the ponytail.  He has some killer spin (which is so cool), but Devil and I spent the whole game laughing at what a complete dork he is.  I refuse to play as him again, as my vanity just won't allow playing as a complete punk.  

I think I'll stick with the Chinese guy... at least until I can unlock a true Mexican or Spaniard.  (assuming there is one in the game, that is)  

Viva La Raza!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2006, 01:28:49 PM »

Yeah - Thanks Ark - I don't get training - I just get beatings!!  biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2006, 02:45:10 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Yeah - Thanks Ark - I don't get training - I just get beatings!!  biggrin

Now now devil, it is all a matter of perspective.  I was training you without you actually knowing it.  Tho to be fair the short game we played during the tournament wasn't really enough time to help you hone your skills.  Perhaps this weekend we can get some games in.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2006, 06:03:42 PM »

I was pretty skeptical about this game because, come on, how fun could a table tennis video game really be? Well, color me impressed because I spent hours playing it last night and it was incredibly fun. Awesome graphics, but the gameplay is so simple and easy to pick up. Getting into an extended rally is a zen-like experience, and when you deliver a spectacular smash to the opponent, it puts an evil grin on your face. In a way, it almost feels like playing real table tennis. Sure, there aren't a lot of bell and whistles in the game, but I think it's pretty refreshing. Here's a game that actually relies on gameplay rather than how many extras can be crammed into the game to make it more flashy or appealing. It is definitely an excellent foundation for Rockstar to build upon in the future for any sequels.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2006, 03:08:02 AM »

Wow, this game totally rocks. My thumbtip was about to fall off from soreness from too much playing so I had to shut it off. The gameplay is so simple but insanely deep as you try to master spin, aim, power shots and drop shots. The thrill and agony of competition is intense thanks to the exceptionally realistic player models. For what it is, this game is near perfect. Kudos to Rockstar and thanks for pricing it at $40 rather than $60. If you're remotely curious, grab it now. I haven't played on Xbox Live yet but this must be a fantastic multiplayer game.
hornysax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2006, 05:13:34 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
I'll admit (proudly), I played quite a bit of table tennis awhile back.  My friend was actually trained by the #1 U.S. player at the time, so when we became friends, he got me into competitive table tennis...and I was sort of wary of grabbing this game, thinking they'd really simplify the game.  Make it ping pong, essentially.

But I'm pretty amazed how they've managed to capture the feel of the game.  I only had time to play training and play a couple of matches, but wow, the zoom's when the ball clips the net, the overall atmosphere, are simply amazing.  I can't wait to play some multiplayer.  If it's got a solid 2p mode and if online holds up, man, sports game of the year?  Perhaps.

I once witnessed the greatness of TheMissingLink from the spectator's arena of the Portland Public Schools High School Table Tennis League ®.  He wore a cape onto the playing field, shedding it as he unleashed the world's most electrifying underspin-sidespin short serve which maimed his opponent for life.  His opponent's body immediately went limp upon seeing this serve, gentley falling to the ground, and soon he went into horrifying convulsions.  You see, TheMissingLink won the match not by his actual skill for sport, but by the exhibition of its grandeur.  That day he sent a message across all the high schools throughout Portland, that he had crippled a man with his awesome god-given talent for the game of table tennis at the high school level.

Camas High School would go on to finish 2nd... to last place.  TheMissingLink's opponent resides in a mental asylum for life.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2006, 08:40:56 AM »

<3 hornysax <3

TheMissingLink on PSN
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2006, 03:03:15 AM »

Quote from: "hornysax"
I once witnessed the greatness of TheMissingLink from the spectator's arena of the Portland Public Schools High School Table Tennis League ®.  He wore a cape onto the playing field, shedding it as he unleashed the world's most electrifying underspin-sidespin short serve which maimed his opponent for life.  His opponent's body immediately went limp upon seeing this serve, gentley falling to the ground, and soon he went into horrifying convulsions.  You see, TheMissingLink won the match not by his actual skill for sport, but by the exhibition of its grandeur.  That day he sent a message across all the high schools throughout Portland, that he had crippled a man with his awesome god-given talent for the game of table tennis at the high school level.

Camas High School would go on to finish 2nd... to last place.  TheMissingLink's opponent resides in a mental asylum for life.

Is that too long for a sig?

Jesus.  That was beautiful.  And to think, I almost beat him last night.  Had I known of his glorious past I would never have accepted his challenge.  Now I feel like I have spit in the eye of a god for scoring on him.  I knew I was in deep when he went on a diatribe about the officially licensed table tennis gear the players wear, but I had no idea I risked my sanity when I spoke (alright, swore...repeatedly) into the mic.

Bow down to greatness!
(I want a rematch.)

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2006, 04:40:06 AM »

You want a rematch?

YOU GOT A REMATCH!!!!!!!!!1

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2006, 04:42:45 AM »

Loving the game still.

Jesper is a freakin' animal on the medium difficulty tournament.  Jesus christ man!  But I used some good drop "shottage" and beat him.  You have to constantly think, "Backhand... backhand..." when playing him too.

But it was goddamn Cassidy that wooped me!  I was killing all of the other participants in that medium difficulty tournament (aside from Jesper) and then played her - lordie.  Some of those rallies were insane!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2006, 06:29:45 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
Jesper is a freakin' animal on the medium difficulty tournament.  Jesus christ man!  But I used some good drop "shottage" and beat him.  You have to constantly think, "Backhand... backhand..." when playing him too.

I found him to be an animal on easy.  He hits the ball so much harder than I thought possible.  I did find he was really weak hitting things to his right, particularly on his service return.

Despite being stunned by his smash he is the only guy I've beaten.

I still have a lot of learning to do.  So far I just seem to rally and either get a lucky shot or get caught out of position.  I've yet to find out how to use much skill in the game or even the different types of spin.  I'm sure it's there, I've just not found it.

TML vs stiffler.  After school at the monkey bars.  Gonna rumble.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2006, 11:35:39 AM »

Cassidy is where I fell for the first time also.  She beat me 11-8 and then again 11-3.  Never even took her to a 3rd game.  Now, I was playing as Haley, who I don't particularly think fits my style, but still...

Regardless of who I use, I think beating Cassidy is going to take some doing.  I will try and tackle that Irish bitch later today.   :wink:

LD

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2006, 04:33:14 AM »

Woo hoo! After three days of trying, I finally beat Cassidy. That girl is tough! The good news is, your opponent in the final match in that tournament is much easier to beat. At least she was for me.

What an amazing game. I've poured hour after hour into it but I constantly feel like I'm learning new shots and strategies. And the ball physics around the net or on the edges of the table are still surprising.

Is there a better feeling than returning a slam shot and then coming back to win the rally? I think not.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2006, 10:21:03 PM »

I've worked my way through medium, but I need a break before trying the hard tournament again... definitely having fun with it, but I'm worried how hard it might be to unlock the rest of the characters and arenas.  I need to find a good list of what you need to do.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2006, 11:58:53 PM »

Quote from: "depward"

Yeah, the trick for him is to keep the ball to his left, where he loses most of his power advantage. After you scoot him over towards the right side more and more, you hit a hard focus hit to the left, with tons of left spin on it. He misses it like 99% of the time.

I think I lost to him in that medium tournament like 4 times before I figured him out.

Such a great game.

I still haven't started the hard tournament though. I had to work pretty hard to figure out Cassidy. I essentially beat her with regular old topspin shots and always trying to be in control of where she had to stand.

I still think Kumi is the easiest person to beat. She misses fairly often if you just serve straight at her, and any return she puts any power into has huge chances of just missin gthe table completely.

Cassidy was still the most overall work to beat, but Jesper stands a close second. If you hit it off to his right, he smashes the damn ball back at you so hard there's not much you can do sometimes.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2006, 02:22:32 AM »

Cassidy was tough, but Jesper is my nemises.  I'm playing him in the second round of the first tournament in hard and am pissed off.  I've played four times now without winning, but on the second match I lost 11-9 in the third game.  I was screaming with every blown point towards the end... my wife had to come up from the basement to see if I was ok :-p.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2006, 02:33:04 AM »

Just bought this with some store credit.  Man, I'm glad I did.  It's a simple, but deep, non-violent game that is very fun to play.

For some reason it works a let better than top spin for me.  I think it's becaus the game is more in your face, and pace is faster.

I have only one question, what's the effect of the Focus meter going up a level?  In the manual and in game they mention that the focus meter goes up a level after filling it and then using the full focus mode.  However, they never say what this extra level does.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2006, 03:00:43 PM »

Not entirely sure about the red->yellow->green.  I have noticed that with each color, they "bob" when waiting for the server a little more quickly.

I seriously love this game.  Contender for 1st half of 2006 GOTY.

TheMissingLink on PSN
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2006, 05:30:02 PM »

so how much is everyone still playing Table Tennis now that it's been out for a few weeks?  does it hold up well over time, or are some people starting to get a little bored?  i haven't tried it yet, and am not likely to pick it up soon, but knowing that it's a fun game for more than the initial burst might bump me a little closer to checking it out...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
depward

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2006, 10:17:16 PM »

I still play with my brother whenever we both have the time.  I find that it's a very enjoyable game when you have someone to play with.  Other then that, it has some "Lt. Dan sea legs" when playing single player.  Though, it's still enjoyable to play single player - it's just not as fun as playing with someone else.

Also play it when we have some friends over.  It's really designed for that - a game that friends can pick up and play and be competitive within a very short amount of time.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2006, 10:25:42 PM »

I suspect I'll be playing it for a few months, unlocking things and generally learning the game.

From there on I suspect I'll only play it when friends are over or I need something to play online.

It's a good game to have in your library, as it's something simple and quick that can be played by anyone at a moment's notice.  It's also only $40, a good price for a game that has nearly infinite replay value.

The game is simplistic, as said before.  But much like chess, checkers, or some other simple games, there's a lot to work with and it'll take a while to master.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2006, 05:30:51 PM »

I picked it up last night after getting my 360 back from the repair center. I went through the tutorial and played the first tournament... sailed smoothly to the final match and was crushed 11-4, 11-3. Very good looking game, simple to play and most importantly, fun!

one thumb up.. I might give it another thumb after I get better at it and try some online play.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2006, 08:10:35 AM »

Well, I can honestly say that I hate both playing as and playing against Jesper.  Just did the hard tournament with Jesper and the guy is such a one trick poney that I had the worst time beating the last two guys.  Then there's his odd momentum that would take him out of optimal position after a shot. something which the CPU would always capitolize on.

Currently my favorite is Jeurgen.  His quick feet and heavy spins are just right for my play style, and I'm going to try and win the rookie league fast so I can unlock all the other characters.

As much as I didn't want to, I may actually buy a Live subscription just to play this online.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2006, 08:32:33 AM »

Ever since seeing Cassidy, I wanted to play as her, but I'm not a good Cassidy player.

Recently, it's been Solayman and a new favorite, Jung Soo.

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2006, 01:12:36 PM »

This game remains awesome.  And hard on all-star mode, da-aym.

TheMissingLink on PSN
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2006, 03:23:11 PM »

Jesper FTW.  I tore up All-Star with him.  Only lost one match.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2006, 03:57:00 PM »

I wish I could give this game the time it deserves.  When school comes around, this is getting ten times the play it has so far.

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2006, 04:39:51 PM »

I really enjoyed my time with this game when I got it from Gamefly, but I didn't see myself playing it in 3 weeks, so I didn't keep it.
Next up, Burnout: Revenge. I may keep that one, if it really did improve on the PS2 version enough.

PSN ID: EduardoX
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2006, 09:59:40 PM »

Quote from: "kathode"
Jesper FTW.  I tore up All-Star with him.  Only lost one match.

Pssh, playing as Jesper isn't fun for me.  I like chopping and playing defensive, opening up holes and spinning the hell out of the ball with focus to totally burn the CPU biggrin

Jung-Soo is the man for this strategy.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: