http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 05:40:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: System Shock 3?  (Read 1327 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 20, 2006, 12:02:08 PM »

Wait...what?  

System Shock, another one of those golden oldies, may once again see the light of day at some point in the future. Two former Looking Glass veterans - Warren Spector and Irrational's Ken Levine - have said so about two years ago, and now the latest issue of Game Informer recycles the rumour and adds another bit of speculation to it. In their "Loose Talk" column, they claim that System Shock 3 is in the works at Electronic Arts; and by that, they really mean EA, not Irrational.

After all, Irrational is already hard at work on the very promising Bioshock "spiritual successor", which received tons of awards and praises after last month's E3 2006. So fans of the series will most likely go with that, especially when they hear that, according to Game Informer, System Shock 3 is being developed by the same team that made The Godfather - an offer that many of us gladly refused.

There's no official word from EA yet, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if it were true, considering that the System Shock trademark was re-updated by Electronic Arts just half a year ago, on December 15, 2005. If anyone thinks they can pull off a proper sequel, just let us know and we'll give you candy or something.

Wow.  I don't know what the quality would be like but with Bioshock in the future, it'll be a little harder to get SS3 to compete methinks.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 12:06:55 PM »

There are two big issues here:

1) People won't buy Bioshock simply because they know there's a 'true' sequel of System Shock due out soon.

2) The people at EA are working on SS3, so as such, the game will be absolutely nothing like the series we know and love so well. Said game will be ruined like the likes of Deus Ex 2.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 01:37:22 PM »

I look forward to the EA Trax soundtrack.  Some Trick Daddy and Coldplay would certainly make the System Shock experience complete.

Oh and can you imagine the in-game advertising possibilities?
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 02:26:11 PM »

I wonder if SHODAN is a Coke gal or a Pepsi gal? Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 03:01:07 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

1) People won't buy Bioshock simply because they know there's a 'true' sequel of System Shock due out soon.

Well, they can always print on the box, "From the creators of System Shock and System Shock 2."

xbox live: nude rick james
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 04:29:56 PM »

Wrong, people will buy Bioshock because they've shown a very good art style and graphics to the gaming masses.  That's an initial attractor.  The deep gameplay will then make it another classic.

Yeah, I'm getting ahead of myself as the game isn't out yet, but knowing Irrational, I'm willing to bet that for a smaller company like Irrational, they'll blow EA's sequel out of the water.
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 04:57:48 PM »

I'm more a fan of Looking Glass than an SS fanboi, and I'm sure that is the general sentiment.

We'll see how any SS sequel goes.  It could either be a good move for the group responsible for it, or it could be more EA shovelware.

I'm hoping it won't be designed specifically for a console, but it probably will.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 08:23:33 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Wrong, people will buy Bioshock because they've shown a very good art style and graphics to the gaming masses.  That's an initial attractor.  The deep gameplay will then make it another classic.

Yeah, I'm getting ahead of myself as the game isn't out yet, but knowing Irrational, I'm willing to bet that for a smaller company like Irrational, they'll blow EA's sequel out of the water.

Having seen it in person and in action, Bioshock is an instant-buy for me.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 08:32:01 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

I doubt that will happen... "System Shock" isn't a household name like GTA, for example... I would guess that just about anyone who is familiar with the previous games and BioShock know who is responsible for what.  

Besides, despite the fact that I have no love lost for EA, I'll probably buy both SS3 and Bioshock.
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 08:50:54 PM »

The Looking Glass guys have an excellent track record, so I agree, BioShock is an instabuy for me.

SS3... not so much, especially at this point.  However, I guess there are certain things which HAVE to be inherent in any SS game.  I doubt even Activision possesses the sheer insanity required to make, say, a System Shock game using the Extreme Paintbrawl! engine.

And, let's be real, System Shock doesn't exactly have a name they would be cashing in on.  Sure, it's got a great name among gamers, but it's not like having a movie license or something.

Bleh.  Now I'm convincing myself that Activision wouldn't put out a bad game.  Anyway, I guess SS3 would be a 'wait and see' for me.  I would have to at least see some interesting previews.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 02:09:43 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
The Looking Glass guys have an excellent track record, so I agree, BioShock is an instabuy for me.

Very true. Despite my first reply, I will most definitely pick up BioShock on day one. Anything that has to do with System Shock is a must purchase.

Quote from: "unbreakable"
I doubt even Activision possesses the sheer insanity required to make, say, a System Shock game using the Extreme Paintbrawl! engine.

That brings up some very...disturbing images. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: