http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 11:33:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: System Shock 3 coming? + Take2 buys Irrational  (Read 856 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2006, 11:06:57 PM »

EA Renews System Shock Trademark

http://pc.ign.com/articles/679/679761p1.html

Take Two confirmed the acquisition with IGN this morning. The buy slides the drooled-after BioShock, along another unannounced Irrational title, under Take Two's wing. Irrational will maintain its team and offices. Take Two intends to leave Irrational creatively independent.
The purchase expands Take Two's stake in PC gaming, following the company's swiping up Firaxis -- home of Sid Meier and the legendary Civilization titles -- late last year.

Irrational Games made its name with 1999's creepy System Shock 2, which still has many gamers slobbering in happy memory. Since then, the company brought us the Freedom Force series, SWAT 4, and the well-received but strangely neglected Tribes: Vengeance. The company operates out of Boston, MA and Braddon, Australia

New York, NY - January 9, 2006 - Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO) today announced the acquisition of Irrational Games, the award-winning development studio behind such titles as System Shock 2 and Freedom Force. Irrational Games joins the team of development studios under Take-Two's 2K Games publishing label.
2K Games has multiple titles in development at Irrational's North American and Australian studios. The first title to be published under the 2K Games label will be BioShock, a role-playing shooter for next-generation console systems and PC. Already anticipated by the gaming press as one of the most innovative next-generation titles, BioShock is planned for release in early 2007.

"We saw a rare opportunity with Irrational Games, a development studio that has consistently produced creative and original games," said Christoph Hartmann, Managing Director at 2K Games. Susan Lewis, VP of Business Development at 2K Games, added, "2K Games will provide additional resources and support to the Irrational team so they may continue to deliver cutting-edge games."

"We are excited to be aligned with a publishing label like 2K Games that shares similar development goals and vision," said Ken Levine, co-founder and President of Irrational Games. "Fans will be blown away when they see the next-generation titles we are working on."

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 11:12:54 PM »

You keep this up and I'm gonna end up hiring you....

slywink

Good finds though. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 11:31:05 PM »

I could always use the money  Cool

Ive been dreaming of a new Shock since part 2.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 11:32:40 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
I could always use the money  Cool

HA! :lol:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 12:00:58 AM »

Sadly, these two news events are not related.  IF system shock 3 gets made, it will be made by EA. Read: Sucktactular.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 12:23:23 AM »

http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?comments=40274

UPDATE: Shacknews has received word from a very reputable source, who requested to remain anonymous, that EA is in fact working on a project referred to as System Shock 3. EA has yet to give an official response to Shacknews' inquiries regarding the original story, but more information will be posted as it becomes available.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 01:36:38 AM »

System Shock 3 doesn't seem like the kind of game EA would make well.  I mean, EA does make some really flashy games, but the style of SS3 doesn't seem to fit with everything else they've made.

I fear a gross dumbing down of the game to appease the marketing department, another Deus Ex 2.

Thankfully, Take 2 does have a good stack of games that push boundaries, so Irrational's Bioshock should do well with them.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 01:48:28 AM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
System Shock 3 doesn't seem like the kind of game EA would make well.

I'm sure it will have a phat hip-hop soundtrack and a cameo appearance by 50 Cent.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 03:14:29 AM »

Don't forget the advertising depicting products and media from the early 21st century.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: