http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 08:34:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: System Sellers-what games convinced you to get a console or handheld?  (Read 1857 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2007, 06:07:35 PM »

I suggested in the Mass Effect thread that it could be a system seller for me (I can't play FPS games on TV w/o severe motion sickness, plus I'm better with a mouse/keyboard, so it really limits the console game pool for me). So I thought maybe we could share our "system sellers," at least in the cases where there was one particular game that you just *had* to play, so it convinced you to get the system or handheld. If you're like me, the system seller often doesn't end up being the one you were most addicted to (so share those too if ya like). smile

A few of mine (most of which are weird games) going waaay back:

NEC Turbografix-16 (bought in 1990)
System Seller: Splatterhouse (fun sidescrolling basher, but not a whole lot of replay value)
Most Addicted: Military Madness (hexagon, turn-based strategy/wargame)

Atari Lynx (1990)
System Seller: Blue Lightning (excellent air combat game that I saw on rolling demo display "behind the glass" at a Toys R Us. I just had to have it. I still break it out to play, from time to time. smile).
Most Addicted: Jimmy Connors Tennis (fine tennis game, one of the few Lynx games to make extensive use of voice)

Sega Genesis (bought in 1991)
System Seller: Strider (fun sidescrolling sword-slasher with what then seemed revolutionary parallax scrolling backgrounds)
Most Addicted: EA's then awesome NHL hockey games; and their Desert Strike/Jungle Strike isometric helicopter combat games

Atari Jaguar (bought it on Valentine's Day, 1996; never go console shopping when you're depressed about something  Tongue)
System Seller: Defender 2000 (a disappointing remake imho)
Most Addicted: Nothing, really. Well, Aliens Vs. Predator when I could make out what was going on, on screen.  icon_confused

Sony Playstation (1997)
System Seller: Vandal Hearts (a turn-based squad-level fantasy combat game with a surprising amount of gore). The producer of the PC game Incubation (Wolfgang Walk) said this was one of their key inspirations so I bought a PSX and then a used copy of this. It was quite fun, easier to pick up and play than the deeper FF Tactics.
Most Addicted: Front Mission 3

Sony Playstation 2 (2001)
System Seller: Ring of Red (an alternate post-WWII history, semi-turn-based wargame). Varied between a turn-based strategy map, and fun mech-infantry real-time combat sequences. I briefly ran a little fan site for it (Ring of Red Central)
Most Addicted: ...

Nintendo Gamecube
System Seller: Metroid Prime (which I couldn't play extensively because of motion sickness problems. Doh.).
Most Addicted: Battallion Wars

Gameboy Advance (?)
System Seller: Advance Wars
Most Adddicted: Ogre Tactics/Final Fantasy Tactics (though ugh, hurt my eyes to play them on such tiny screens)

Sony PSP (bought in 2006)
System Seller: Killzone: Liberation
Most Addicted: Killzone: Liberation (ah, they finally match!  nod). Although SOCOM: Tactical Strike might wrest the label away soon.

I traded in my GBA towards a DS, but I don't recall a system seller at the time. My NES was a surprise Xmas gift from my brother in 1985 (the first and last time he was ever so obscenely generous with me  icon_biggrin). I have not entered the "next-gen" system arms race at this time.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 06:09:52 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 06:11:08 PM »

The only one I can think of offhand is Gran Turismo 3- it's what made me buy the PS2.  Every other console and handheld since I've either bought at launch or as soon after launch as I could afford them, system seller or no.  As a matter of principle I want to own every platform (I can't stand the thought of missing an exceptional game) so I always plan to buy them all. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 06:14:02 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 13, 2007, 06:11:08 PM

The only one I can think of offhand is Gran Turismo 3- it's what made me buy the PS2.  Every other console and handheld since I've either bought at launch or as soon after launch as I could afford them, system seller or no.  As a matter of principle I want to own every platform (I can't stand the thought of missing an exceptional game) so I always plan to buy them all. 

I am the same way.  Although I wasn't planning to buy a PS2 right away until I saw Madden on it.  It blew me away at the time.

I purchased a 360, Wii, and PS3 without really having a game in mind at the time of puchase. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 06:14:40 PM »

Halo was the game that got me to buy my first XBox, but I sold it after a year and then Fable got me into my second X-Box.  Zelda: Twilight Princess for the Wii, Kingdom Hearts got me into the PS2, and Condemned got me into the 360.  The DS has Puzzle Quest but right now the PSP and PS3 are lacking a system seller.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 06:16:31 PM »

Gran Turismo 3 on the PS2. That sold me the system.

Tactics Ogre port from the SNES on the PS1 released in North America. I'd been dying for that to arrive on the SNES and it never did. When it showed up for the PS1, I had to have that system.

No other system has sold me on one game alone, but rather via a combination of killer titles (though KotOR was close to a system-seller for the X-Box).

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 06:43:47 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 13, 2007, 06:11:08 PM

I'm half-way like you...I definitely know that I will own every platform eventually, because I can't miss any top-notch exclusive game, even if it's just 1 or 2

but I won't buy a system at launch if none of those games are out at that time.  I'll only end up buying the hardware once the exclusive game I want is close to coming out
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 06:44:17 PM »

I'll skip over my Fairchild and Atari 2600 since my parents bought both without any real input from me. I have no idea if my brother wanted any particular games for either.

Commodore 64:
When I saw Castle Wolfenstein (none of that new fangled 3D stuff), Jumpman, and several arcade games that blew away anything I had seen on a Colecovision, I began begging for one of these for my birthday.

NES:
My brother bought this, and I don't know if it was for anything in particular. I later bought a friend of mine's late in the lifecycle used to take to college. I think the primary carrots for me here were RBI Baseball and Bionic Commando. And those are probably still my favorite 2 games from it though the Marios, Zeldas, and some others were cetainly great too.

Super NES:
I ended up buying one of my roommate's after playing most of the must have titles for it. I think the chance to play Ultima VI was a factor since the c64 version was nigh on unplayable and I had no newer pc. Until I buy my first newish 360 game, I am pretty sure the last time I paid $60 for a game would have been for the SNES. Have to go with Zelda - Link to the Past as my favorite as it's an all-timer.

Playstation:
I think the primary system seller was beer. My brother and I were sitting around drinking beers and talked about how much fun it would be to play one of those modern NFL games. 30 minutes later we had gone out and I had bought a Playstation. I think the ads for Final Fantasy VII were an influence as well. I honestly don't remember if the N64 was out already or not at that point. My favorite game was definitely Legacy of Kain which I sadly never finished. I gravitated (back) towards PC gaming during this console's life so I really never played it that much. Probably WWF Raw/Warzone was the game I played the most on it. I always hated the controller, and the PS2 controller is still my least favorite.

Gamecube:
No real system seller here. In 2003, my girlfriend had just dumped me and I thought it might be a good time to get a new console. I was generally biased against the X-Box since most of its more compelling games were out for the pc, and I tended to prefer them on the pc. I remember I actually asked a cute girl who worked at EB for advice and she basically told me "the cube has the fewest games, but it has some truly great ones." I also was feeling some residual burn from the playstation which I never played. I also always sort of regretted missing a Nintendo generation, so that all influenced me. Favorite games were Eternal Darkness (ME WANT SEQUEL~!), Metroid Prime, and Zelda.

GBA:
I actually bought the GBA player first, and it was mainly to play Metroid Fusion and just expand the cube's potential library some. (The GBA Player was a great peripheral.) I later talked myself into an SP, and I am glad I did as portable gaming is wonderful. Favorite games are Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission. 

DS:
Love of the GBA was the main system seller. I also was intrigued to try an "official" (read: Non-emulated) version of Mario 64. I had some remorse for a while, but now the system is pretty much the daddy. Between all the fantastic puzzle games and superb "real" games, I can't imagine ever playing all the DS games I am interested in. I'd probably go Mario Kart or Puzzle Quest as my favorites.

Wii:
I was pretty committed to playing Zelda: TP on the cube. Metroid Prime 3 was the real motivator to me wanting one. However, somewhere in between MP3 being delayed and the launch I must have talked myself into Zelda on the Wii as it was definitely the main game I wanted at launch time. (I got mine 1 week after launch.) Metroid Prime 3 is my favorite Wii game so far with Zelda being a close 2nd.

X-Box 360:
HD gaming was the real system seller. High price, forcing me to pick a DVD format when I wasn't interested in either, and the seemingly eroding list of exclusives pushed me this way from the Playstation 3 which a year ago I had every intention of buying, eventually. I am also more open to the idea of playing some PC games on the 360 instead of my pc since my less than 2 year old PC already has frame rate issues with games, and I am really trying to get out of the uprgade the PC every 4-5 years cycle. There were a few games I was/am interested in, but I can't really call any of them a system seller. Of the 2 games it came with, Forza 2 is definitely my favorite. (I liked day 1 with Marvel UA, but have quickly tired of it.) The game I am currently most interested in is Assassin's Creed - pending trusted reviews. I'm just happy to have a lot of games for this system I can list as X-mas presents.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 06:51:10 PM »

my only example: i finally went console, & bought a ps2, so i could play ico...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 06:58:40 PM »

For me, the only system I bought because I saw an exclusive game I wanted to play
is the PS3 I bought last weekend. The game is Eye of Judgement and so far, it has been well worth it.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 07:12:53 PM »

Great topic!

Parents bought the Atari 2600, and I never owned an NES or SNES.

Sega Genesis:  First gaming system I bought for myself, and all because of NHL í94.  That damn game nearly failed me out of college.

PS1:  Seeing the all-cutscene Final Fantasy VII trailer in a movie theater absolutely blew my mind.  Iíd never seen anything like it before, and knew I had to have the system.  Went out and bought one the next day.

PS2:  I held off buying one forever, but Final Fantasy X finally convinced me take the leap.

XBOX:  After seeing the initial mad rush for the PS2, I actually bought one on launch day with the intention of flipping it on e-bay.  The out of control prices never materialized, so I returned it unopened.  Didnít pick one up again until KotOR came out.

Gamecube:   Bought one for Zelda:  Wind Waker.  Ended up disliking the game and selling it 2 months later.  Bought one again for RE4.  Ended up disliking that and selling it as well.   Never did really find a game that I liked for it.

GBA: Golden Sun & Tactics Ogre.  Even sent it off to Paul to install the Afterburner backlight kit.  smile

DS:  Iím on my second DS.  Picked up the first one on a whim, and got bored with it pretty quickly.  Grabbed a DS Lite mainly to play Age of Empires, which I didnít really like.  Come to think of it, the only DS game Iíve really enjoyed has been Puzzle Quest, and Iíve tried most of the AAA titles.  Iím really just keeping it for future potential at this point.  Hasnít been played in quite a while.

PSP:  On my second PSP as well.  Bought it originally for Wipeout Pure, and sold it during one of itís many game dry spells.  Bought a second one a couple months back specifically because of Jeanne DíArc and FF Tactics.  Itís become an SRPG godsend lately.

360:  Bought a 360 because I had to have Blue Dragon.  A next-gen JRPG with that sort of pedigree, how could it miss?   Due to the bad reviews, I still haven't played any of Blue Dragon except the demo, and really don't have much desire to.  I"m sure I'll get around to it eventually, but now it's all about Rock Band, Mass Effect, and Assassin's Creed.

ďMy next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 07:13:28 PM »

i picked up a ps1 for ff7 and gran turismo.  i really loved the colony wars games and it's a huge bummer we won't get to see another one.

i really got into the ps2 when i started reading about summoner.  odd i know, but it really sounded like a fun game at the time.  of course, i didn't play it much at launch and ended up spending all of my time with doa2 and ssx.  i did finally get addicted to it a year later and played it from start to finish.

i got the psp as a gift, so i really didn't have a system seller.  sadly, it's my most unused system, second only to the game gear for all time.

360.  as i said in the other thread, mass effect is the main current reason i bought one, even though gta 4 is the reason i bought one.  there's a lot of secondary games that i wanted to play though, and i picked it up for every game not getting a pc release.

ds.  nothing in particular, but a buddy had one and i saw a bunch of cool stuff coming out.

ps3.  no single system seller for me, but next years games all look great, plus there's a handful of cool stuff right now.

Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 08:14:12 PM »

Well, my SNES and Genesis were both Christmas gifts, the PS2 I bought because of FFVII, the original X-Box because of Halo 2, and the 360 because of Chromehounds (I was johnsing for a good mech game at the time).

The most mileage I've gotten out of my systems would be the SNES (Mario Kart, F-Zero, FF3, Zelda, Mario), and the 360 (Forza 2, Crackdown, Halo 3).

Of course, let's not talk about my PC gaming... I've got way too many games. (Something over 150)

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 08:16:45 PM »

PS2 : Tony Hawk 4- I'm a sucker for those games. Never looked back, and it turned out to be the best money I ever spent smile
PS3 : Ratchet & Clank - I know the 360 has better games, but I need to play R&C (still waiting for it). I'll probably end up selling it and get a 360 later :p
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 08:32:25 PM »

Well, I bought my 360 in for NCAA 07.  PS2 and Dreamcast I bought at launch.  DS and PSP I bought because I had some extra money, although the PSP I bought mostly so that I would have a handheld football game (Madden 08).  PSX I bought for Doom.  That's about as far back as I can remember.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 08:45:02 PM »

I don't think there has ever been a console before the 360 that I've bought for any specific game.  That being said, seeing Gears of War on my brother's plasma sold me.

Oh, yeah, maybe there have been a couple of consoles:

N64:  Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Mario 64

Gamecube: Metroid Prime and Zelda: Windwaker
unbreakable
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 08:46:09 PM »

I got the Genesis because of Phantasy Star, but ended up getting the most mileage out of NHL 97 (and the other NHL games, but 97 was teh best evar).

GameCube I got because of Metroid and Zelda.  Strangely, I never really played too much on it.  I probably played Super Mario Sunshine the most, but the game ended up just ticking me off- some of the stuff near the end was nigh impossible.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 08:53:28 PM by unbreakable » Logged
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 08:59:18 PM »

Hmmm... like rickfc, I generally don't buy consoles for a particular game, but there are certain titles that can nudge me in that direction:

Atari 2600 - Space Invaders
Atari 5200 - Pac-Man
PC - Ultima VI
Nintendo 64 - Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
PSP - Portable console emulation
Xbox - Halo
Gamecube - Resident Evil series
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 09:29:45 PM by Laner » Logged
warning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 09:06:06 PM »

I knew that I wanted a 360 just like I know that I want a PS3.  It's just the right combination of price, deals and money in hand.

But I bought a PS1 to play Gran Turismo after my friend told me about it.  I bought a PS2 to play GT3 and Twisted Metal Black which seemed so cool at the time but I quickly forgot about.  I wanted a PSP for Hot Shots Golf and a DS for Kirby Canvas Curse and to play all my GBA games on a nicer screen.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 09:22:41 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 13, 2007, 07:12:53 PM

360:  Bought a 360 because I had to have Blue Dragon.  A next-gen JRPG with that sort of pedigree, how could it miss?   Due to the bad reviews, I still haven't played any of Blue Dragon except the demo, and really don't have much desire to.  I"m sure I'll get around to it eventually, but now it's all about Rock Band, Mass Effect, and Assassin's Creed.

Hey man, I'm working on disc two of Blue Dragon and so far I've quite enjoyed it. I definitely think the story and music are not up to what I expected out of the pedigree of talent behind the game, but the presentation is solid and the gameplay is really quite fun overall. If the gameplay weren't so entertaining, I'd have stopped playing it by now, but at this point (30 hours in) it's definitely worth playing for me.

Certainly no system seller though, unfortunately. I do hope that Lost Odyssey is a solid step up from Blue Dragon, since we still haven't gotten a truly top notch jrpg on the 360 yet.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 09:27:42 PM »

Gamecube: No particular game, just launch hype. I walked into Zellers and there were gamecubes so I bought one and Wave Race. It was my first console.

PS2: Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance; That and an amazing lineup of games. Or maybe depression. (Valentines Day, 2002)

XBox: Mechassault + XBox Live. (Circa 2002)

PSP: I was excited about two games that never even got released. Gran Turismo portable and Final Fantasy 7 portable sequel. Wipeout Pure and Lumines were my first two games. Really just got sucked into launch hype.

360: No particular single game, but just a really strong lineup of gaming goodness in general that had built up over the course of a year plus. (Jan 2007)

Wii: The amazing motion control + playing it at a demo kiosk. Really, not a great raisin to buy a console.

So three launch hype machines (all of which never have (or haven't yet) lived up to their full potential. All three impulse early adoptions were failures), and three good machines. Good stuffs smile The lesson? Don't buy a machine early.  nod
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2007, 10:00:57 PM »

The only game I ever bought a console for was Crazy Taxi for the Dreamcast. I really loved that game.

Ended up playing more Virtua Tennis than anything else though.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2007, 10:04:21 PM »

N64: Wave Race 64, but in all honesty, based on the experiences other people I knew had with the SNES, I already had plan to buy 1 on launch day. As it turns out I also picked up Super Mario 64 and loved every minute of it.

GameCube: Star Wars: Rogue Sqaudron II. I saw a demo on a nice setup and it really blew me away, especially the Prologic II surround sound.

XBox: Halo got my attention and interest, but it was Mechassault and Crimson Skies that were the must have games for me. As it turned out, I bought my Xbox just months before the release of CS.

PS2:  Phantasy Star Universe. Ok laugh all you want, but I had a blast playing PSO offline coop on my nephew's gamecube. As it turns out I didn't actually get my PS2 until Oct. 2006 and just a week after the release of PSU. Without any offline coop and the fact that some of the online content on the disk was initially locked, PSU was to say the least a huge dissapointment. Then I finally got to play Onimusha 3 and FF X, so the dissapointment was made up for very quickly. And then FF XII came out! smile

Wii: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. I had been waiting for no less than 2 years for it to arrive for the Cube, the fact that I got to use the Wiimote and Nunchuk to play it was icing on the cake.  smile

X360: The game I bought this for is releasing just next week: Mass Effect. There were admittedly other games I wanted also to play very much-NHL 08, MUA and Forza 2- but ME was the system seller for me.

[Edit] I forgot to mention the DS system seller; that game was Metroid Prime Hunters.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 10:30:46 PM by kronovan » Logged
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2007, 11:37:15 PM »

Quote from: stimpy on November 13, 2007, 06:58:40 PM

For me, the only system I bought because I saw an exclusive game I wanted to play
is the PS3 I bought last weekend. The game is Eye of Judgement and so far, it has been well worth it.

Same for me the Eye of Judgement of all games finally pushed me to buy one. Mlb 07 the show is also a very good baseball game replaced MVP 2005 as my favorite baseball game. icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 11:40:44 PM by pingwrx » Logged

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2007, 02:34:32 AM »

System Sellers?

HmmHmm...

TG-16: Relatively cheap price and Order of the Griffon (damn I loved old school video game A D & D)
Best Game/Most Played: Order of the Griffon

Turbo Duo: Extension of the TG-16 and CD based gaming, first real encounters with Anime, FMV and quirky japanese games
Best Game/Most Played: Vasteel

NES: Legend of Zelda, I bugged my parents for this forever.
Best Game/Most Played: Dragon Warrior 4

SNES: Oddly enough Legend of Zelda link to the past. There was a bundle with LOZ instead of SMW, and I saved up and my Dad matched my 65 bucks with another 45. Despite never having a lot of money he and mom always found a way to help me enjoy my hobby.
Best Game/Most Played: Chrono Trigger

Gameboy: Tetris, my sister and I played this at a demo and Mom saw how we couldn't be pulled away.
Best Game/Most played: Tetris

Playstation: Tomb Raider and a great trade in deal on my SNES games.
Best Game/Most Played: Final Fantasy Tactics

Playstation 2: NCAA Football and GT3 - I actually didn't like GT3 that much, but I played the hell out of NCAA Football that first year it hit.
Best Game/Most Played: NCAA Football Series

Gamecube: I was sold on the lies of Nintendo, that they had learned and changed
Best Game/ Most Played: Tie between Wind Waker and Metroid Prime

Xbox: I got an Xbox because I was fed up with the poor performance of a lot of PS2 third party titles
Best Game/ Most Played: Splinter Cell

Wii: Virtual Console  ; No lie, I wasn't going to get any home system made by Nintendo after the Cube, but I heard I could play TG-16 games at a relatively cheap cost and I was sold immediately
Best Game / Most Played: Best game is definitely Mario Galaxy, with Zack and Wiki and Metroid Prime 3 right there, most played is definitely the Virtual Console.

Playstation 3: I got a deal, there was no real system seller, and I wanted a Blu-ray player
Best Game: Warhawk

Xbox 360: I got a ridiculously great deal on the system, no one game pushed me over the edge.
Best Game/Most played: Oblivion

PSP: Bought it for Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles, when that was announced I got the system
Best Game/ Most Played: Both of the Capcom Arcade Classic collections

DS: Got a great trade in deal for the system, really liked the idea behind the system, and several games that were coming
Best Game/ Most Played: Final Fantasy III

Others I got but well after their time include the Dreamcast and Nintendo 64. I wasn't a big console gamer when these systems were around, but I reaped the benefits years after the systems had died.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2007, 03:17:57 AM »

Atari Lynx (1994)
System Seller: Recieved as a present
Most Addicted: Pong

Sega Genesis (1996)
System Seller: The action packed games and the awesome graphics
Most Addicted: NBA James, Pac-Man 3, BoogerMan, Road Rash series.

Sony Playstation (1998)
System Seller: "The Future of gaming" type thing going on, Sega was just getting a little...old.
Most Addicted: Syphon Filter 3, Grand Turismo, Tomb Raider 3, Final Fantasy.

Sony Playstation 2 (2002)
System Seller: Grand Theft Auto just got that much better.
Most Addicted: To many frickin awesome games, I still play my PS2 religiously.

Nintendo Gamecube (2006)
System Seller: It was the right price, 40 bucks for a Platinum!
Most Addicted: TimeSplitters.

Gameboy Advance SP (2004)
System Seller: Sleek new design, something to do in the hospital after some surgery.
Most Adddicted: Super Mario World, Pokemon(lol), Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 03:20:08 AM by Darren8r » Logged

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007, 03:28:03 AM »

I honestly couldn't point to any one game as a system seller for me since I require at least five to be out before I pick up a console. That said, I'm asking for a 360 this year for Christmas with the following titles: Dead Rising, Mass Effect, maybe Gears of War though I'm undecided on that one since duck and cover isn't normally my type of game. I picked up the Wii earlier this year because of Wii Sports and the Virtual Console. To date this remains the only console out that I bought as soon as I could.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2007, 03:35:27 AM »

Street Fighter for the SNES.  It made me sell my Genesis and catalogue of games. 
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2007, 02:16:53 PM »

Cool lists, I'm glad it got some memories going. smile I know in a lot of cases there's no one game that pulls one to a system.

I think too much pressure is put on PS3 titles to become "system sellers" and nothing can really live up to that (there's no PS3 Halo 3 in the stables, not even Killzone 2, MGS4 or Little Big Planet, imho). I think what it maybe needs more than some A+ game is just 5 B+ games unique to the system (call it whiteboyskim's rule  slywink) -- that might convince me to get one. smile Otherwise I'll keep sitting on the sidelines, or perhaps Mass Effect will get me to take a chance on the not exactly consistently reliable XBox360.

Little aside: Gears of War was almost the system seller for me in the spring. I was ready to order a "Gears of War bundle" from Circuit City for in-store pickup. However, Titan Quest: Immortal Throne on PC was causing me severe wrist tendinitis (I had to see a doctor, wear a splint, take Aleve, almost had to get surgery but I quit TQ:I cold turkey) at the time, and I talked myself out of it at the last minute. It was the best move for my health at the time, but sometimes I wish I'd given in. nod

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2007, 04:06:54 PM »

This is a hard one.

PS2: Katamari Damacy, and secondarily Grand Theft Auto: SA.
360: Dead Rising
PS3: All my PS2 games, and blu-ray, and upcoming games like R&C (which turned out great) and warhawk (which is fun)
DS: Mario Kart DS

Ask me about games that I bought PC hardware for, and... I won't even be able to think of them all.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Jocke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2007, 11:51:41 AM »

Only those I actually bought myself and was not given as a kid.

PS1: Final fantasy 7. Yes I am that much of a mainstream sheep... But everyone said it was going to be the biggest thing ever at the time! I liked it alot.

Gamecube: Wind waker and metroid prime. My computer had just broke and I was trying to decide between xbox, ps2 and the cube. Those games I just wanted so the cube it was! This decision did come too haunt me in the years to come though =) Many games missed but I did love my cube and had many good games for it.

PS2: Picked up a slim one and a half years back on the cheap. Was not so much one game but all the old cheap ps2 titles to find that made that decision. =)

Wii: Wii sports. I told you I am a mainstream sheep! Also Zelda made me preorder it. My first console that made me do that. Only thing that dissapoints me so far with the wii is being a PAL gamer and all the holdup on releasing the games I want. Fire emblem does not even have a date! It's horrible.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2007, 03:33:12 PM »

I was a hardcore PC gamer, but I still had consoles. It started when I bought my neighbors Atari with 48 games for 30 bux. How could I go wrong?

NES: Got it for christmas, I REALLY wanted Zelda, MegaMan, Mario's, Metroid, Dragon Warrior, FF1.

SNES: It was all about the Zelda and Mario games.

Genesis: I can't recall the EXACT seller, but Altered Beast coop and Phantasy Star were tops on my list. OMFG Strider too!

Turbo Duo: Y's Book I & II

3DO: Return Fire and Need For Speed (the original with Mister X). There were others, but those two had me.

PS1: Twisted Metal.

XBOX: Halo1, Amped, PGR.

XBOX360: HD/ Live. There were plenty of interesting launch titles but nothing that "sold me" on the system.

Wii: WiiSports, Zelda (rented and returned). I had bought it to flip it, and then ended up selling it to my gf's "friend" who was looking for one. Turns out that the friend had found one, and this Wii ended up under the tree with my name on it. I've enjoyed it. biggrin
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 03:34:53 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: