http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 08:00:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: System Exclusives - Who wins?  (Read 1968 times)
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2006, 01:26:35 PM »

There is a lot of talk about the hardware, and the games announced at E3, but in the end the software sells the systems.  That is certainly Nintendo's strategy over the years.  So, what does each system have that's been exclusive to it now (or in the future), and will most likely carry over?  

Here are the big names that I can think of now, the exclusives that have resulted in big sales for each system (as well as being well known).   I just looked at IGN's list for games rated 8 and 9 for each system, and were moderately big sellers.  I'm not even really thinking of name recognition to the average consumer, but that matters too.

Nintendo:
Mario, Zelda, Wario, Metroid, Pokemon
edit to clearify more (from godhugh):
Mario Kart, Mario platformers, Paper Mario, Super Smash Brothers, Mario Party, Donkey Konga, Zelda series, Metroid series, Resident Evil

Microsoft:
Halo, DOA, MechAssault, Forza, KOTOR (on PC too), Ninja Gaidan, PGR, Fable

Sony:
Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Ratchet & Clank, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, SOCOM, MLB The Show, Dragon Quest, God of War, Gran Turismo, Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur, Suikoden, Tekken, Amplitude/Guitar Hero, Ace Combat, Devil May Cry, Katarmi, Kingdom Hearts

It looks like based on name recognition, Nintendo with Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda would probably easily win for the average consumer.  For gameplay variety and depth, Sony easily wins.  

Will this change at all going forward?

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 01:46:21 PM »

This won't end well frown

Seriously, it really does come down to personal preference and, based at least on what has been announced so far, we aren't seeing much divergene from the types of games that each system specialized in last generation.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 01:51:44 PM »

This won't end well Sad

Seriously, it really does come down to personal preference and, based at least on what has been announced so far, we aren't seeing much divergene from the types of games that each system specialized in last generation.

Why won't it end well?  It is definitely personal preference to which system you like.  

I'm sure I'm forgetting some big sellers from each system as well.  I just skimmed the top XBox and PS2 games (rated at 8 and 9).   I also guessed that the average consumer knows what Mario is a lot more then say Forza or God of War.  Sony seems to have more titles exclusive across more genres, so they have more depth, if not quality (that is subjective).

---
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 02:02:24 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
Why won't it end well?  It is definitely personal preference to which system you like.  

Because it's the equvalent of "what's your favorite console" which can be a nice discussion at certain times of the year but inevitably turns hateful around system launches and E3.  

I think you're fine with the intial part but this

It looks like based on name recognition, Nintendo with Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda would probably easily win for the average consumer. For gameplay variety and depth, Sony easily wins.

is what usually fans the flames because you aren't projecting your personal opinion (ie "I prefer Nintendo/Sony/MS because of x,y, and z" but instead seem to assigning some sort of "factual" basis where it doesn't exist.

You're not acting like a fanboy  but that is a bog standard fanboy tactic- attempting to assign fact where there is only opinion and that's what usually turns inflammatory.  So my gut feeling tells me that while your intentions may be honorable, the fate of this thread is pre-ordained.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 02:23:05 PM »

is what usually fans the flames because you aren't projecting your personal opinion (ie "I prefer Nintendo/Sony/MS because of x,y, and z" but instead seem to assigning some sort of "factual" basis where it doesn't exist.

True.  I apologize for that if it isn't clear.  My personal opinion is that Mario seems to be the biggest name in games.  Personally, I don't like the Mario games at all, but I think the average consumer/parent knows what Mario is.  That probably holds true of Grand Theft Auto as well because of the political campaign against it, but GTA isn't an exclusive to anyone anymore.

I also think, just looking at the exlusives so far, that have sold well, that Sony seems to cover the most bases, ie, has the most games in each genre.  I don't believe that Sony has the best games in each genre, just the most.  In some cases, Sony does have the best games there though.   I think that Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony have made some great games.

I think, at the end of the day, that software will sell the systems, and the price of the systems won't mean a lot in the end.  I also think that it is the exclusives to each system that really tip the balance.

I'm sure I've missed some titles for each, and there are other titles like Crisom Skies that I'm skeptical we will see sequels of, though I'd love a Crimson Skies sequel smile.

---
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 02:24:59 PM »

This won't end well

I guess I never got the memo saying it is illegal to own more than 1 system slywink

I never understood fanboism

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 02:31:52 PM »

There is a lot of talk about the hardware, and the games announced at E3, but in the end the software sells the systems.  That is certainly Nintendo's strategy over the years.  So, what does each system have that's been exclusive to it now (or in the future), and will most likely carry over?  

Here are the big names that I can think of now, the exclusives that have resulted in big sales for each system (as well as being well known).   I just looked at IGN's list for games rated 8 and 9 for each system, and were moderately big sellers.  I'm not even really thinking of name recognition to the average consumer, but that matters too.

Nintendo:
Mario, Zelda, Wario, Metroid, Pokemon

Microsoft:
Halo, DOA, MechAssault, Forza, KOTOR (on PC too), Ninja Gaidan

Sony:
Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Ratchet & Clank, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, SOCOM, MLB The Show, Dragon Quest, God of War, Gran Turismo, Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur, Suikoden, Tekken, Amplitude/Guitar Hero, Ace Combat, Devil May Cry, Katarmi, Kingdom Hearts

It looks like based on name recognition, Nintendo with Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda would probably easily win for the average consumer.  For gameplay variety and depth, Sony easily wins.  

Will this change at all going forward?

It only matters to the person buying the system.  Of the Sony exclusives.. I hate MGS, hate even more the new Final Fantasys (loved 7 and before, not much after that), Sony can keep Ratchet, Jak and Sly, not my cup of tea usually, played SOCOM, found that I enjoyed BF on the PC and Halo on the XB more, Not a baseball fan, God of War was meh in my book, fighters are ok, I usually get bored with them pretty fast, so just having DOA is enough for me, I prefer Forza to GT, Suikoden 1 and 2 were great, the rest are trash, not a fan at all of Kingdom Hearts, played the first one through so I could say I played it, was bored the whole time and easily passed on part 2.  I could go on and on but the fact is that FOR ME the sony exclusives mean jack.  The only exclusives I really care about are DQ and Guitar Hero.  I fully expect to see Guitar Hero 2 on multiple systems this time around.

There is no good answer, everyone will feel differently.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 02:44:42 PM »

I like all the systems for DIFFERENT reasons.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 02:49:02 PM »

I guess I never got the memo saying it is illegal to own more than 1 system Wink

No one said it was illegal, just harder these days with the prices going up.  Plus, apparently a lot of people do own just one or two systems as the sell through numbers of each system are slightly different.

I fully expect to see Guitar Hero 2 on multiple systems this time around.

Has this been announced?  I don't think that developer has done anything lately besides Sony.  Cool if it does.

---
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 02:53:09 PM »

I guess I never got the memo saying it is illegal to own more than 1 system Wink

No one said it was illegal, just harder these days with the prices going up.  Plus, apparently a lot of people do own just one or two systems as the sell through numbers of each system are slightly different.

I fully expect to see Guitar Hero 2 on multiple systems this time around.

Has this been announced?  I don't think that developer has done anything lately besides Sony.  Cool if it does.

I am saying this simply due to Activision buying Red Octane.  Activision hasn't been in real good finiancial standings.  Given the popularity of Guitar Hero, expanding your customer base by making it multiplatform only makes sense.  Both the PS3 and 360 have USB ports so you can make the controller connect via USB.  In addition this could also open up the potential of having a PC version.  Due to content downloads on the 360 this would be a great chance at extra income, they could charge 50 cents a song to dl new music off of Live or the new sony service.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 02:57:14 PM »

My PS2 sat mostly unused under my tv set. Last game the grabbed me for it was either Suidoken IV or GTA 3.   Matter of fact it was GTA 3, but my Xbox went just as unused.  So I guess it really come down to preference.  

I'm really in love with my PSP and see no reason to get a DS, but using your analogy because the DS has the more recognizable game its the clear winner.  I just don't see it that way.  I am having loads of fun playing Syphon Filter, Madden (even in its buggy state) and HotShots Golf.  It want you like that makes  difference

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 03:16:34 PM »

Sorry, I think "exclusive" or lack thereof is a poor measurement of success for a console.  Look at Nintendo - they arguably have the most first-party, highly-rated exclusives of the three, yet they came in dead last this generation.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 03:25:25 PM »

Quote from: "Soulchilde"
I am having loads of fun playing Syphon Filter, Madden (even in its buggy state) and HotShots Golf.

No you're not!!  According to your sig you're playing Burnout Revenge on the PSP!  Liar!

Tongue
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 03:33:25 PM »

Sorry, I think "exclusive" or lack thereof is a poor measurement of success for a console. Look at Nintendo - they arguably have the most first-party, highly-rated exclusives of the three, yet they came in dead last this generation.

I don't think Nintendo has a good spread of exclusive titles though, which I think is Nintendo's problem.  Nintendo has some Mario jumping games, an action adventure, a FPS adventure, and some card battling type games.  After that, I think Nintendo's library falls down badly, which is where Nintendo struggles.  If you don't like Nintendo's limited genre offerings, there isn't much else.

Sony and Microsoft have pretty much all the third party ports (Nintendo doesn't), as well as a lot more offerings in the different genres for the most part.  Microsoft, though it doesn't have many exclusive titles, at least has all the major third party non-exclusives, plus its strong online component, and until the PS3/360, Microsoft was the most powerful system.

I think this past generation (the PS2/XBox/Gamecube) was decided by a few key games, like Grand Theft Auto and Final Fantasy.  Microsoft didn't have either when it mattered (only getting GTA very late).

What would have happened, if GTA and Final Fantasy X was released the same day on the PS2 and XBox, but with the XBox having better graphics, faster load times, and hard drive saves, as well as the possibility of extra content?  How many PS2s were sold for GTA, instead of XBoxes?

---
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 03:39:22 PM »

I keep contemplating picking up a used PS2 for the kids.   That's the one thing I don't like about the MS platform is the derth of titles for kids.   I know I could also go pick up a gamecube for them but those also seem a little too simplistic for what they really want to play.  They are a little envious of their cousins who have one.  Note that I don't get complaints from them about what the games we have...I get them from mom actually.

- shaggy

<edit>for clarity...the cousins have a PS2, not a gamecube

Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 03:49:54 PM »

What would have happened, if GTA and Final Fantasy X was released the same day on the PS2 and XBox, but with the XBox having better graphics, faster load times, and hard drive saves, as well as the possibility of extra content?  How many PS2s were sold for GTA, instead of XBoxes?

Xbox would sell more. GTA had years of being only a PS2 game, which is why it sold so many PS2 titles. But yet, it still managed to break records on the Xbox side. Curious how people will buy even year-old ports on a superior console.

On the Nintendo side of things, you list only 5 franchises, but they there is so many games and spinoffs on those series. There's probably 3 of those games compared to one of Sony's releases, and yet most of Nintendo's offerings keep up their high quality.

As for Microsoft, you've skipped over a lot of their system-selling titles. Fable, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, Project Gotham Racing, Morrowind, Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike, The Chronicles of Riddick, and many others are all standout titles that were on the Xbox. A few of them were ported to PS2 later on (namely some of the Tom Clancy titles), but they all sold systems for the Xbox, and were Xbox-exclusive for a good while before receiving a port (much like GTA).

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 04:26:44 PM »

As for Microsoft, you've skipped over a lot of their system-selling titles. Fable, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, Project Gotham Racing, Morrowind, Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike, The Chronicles of Riddick, and many others are all standout titles that were on the Xb

I missed Fable and PGR, I'll add those.

Ghost Recon, Rainbox Six, Oblivion (Morrowind's followup), HL2 and Counterstrike aren't necessarily Microsoft exclusives going forward, so I didn't list those.  I doubt Chronicles of Riddick will see a followup, and wasn't under the impression it sold well.

On the Nintendo side of things, you list only 5 franchises, but they there is so many games and spinoffs on those series. There's probably 3 of those games compared to one of Sony's releases, and yet most of Nintendo's offerings keep up their high quality.

Most of the Sony releases I listed were high quality, and yes, there are a ton of Mario spinoffs I'm sure.  I just couldn't think of them off the top of my head.

But yet, it still managed to break records on the Xbox side.

I believe that GTA sold PS2s, while owners of XBox's bought the 1+ year old GTA ports.  That seems a big difference.

---
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 04:30:23 PM »

My only quibble with your list is that you didn't state games for Nintendo, you just listed characters. The exclusive games would be more like...

Mario Kart, Mario platformers, Paper Mario, Super Smash Brothers, Mario Party, Donkey Konga, Zelda series, Metroid series, Resident Evil
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 04:41:40 PM »

My only quibble with your list is that you didn't state games for Nintendo, you just listed characters. The exclusive games would be more like...

I'm not a huge fan of the Nintendo stuff, so I just didn't know some of them.  It wasn't meant as disrespect, as I know lots of people are insan... err like them smile

---
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2006, 05:18:51 PM »

Your statement begs the question, and is therefore fundementally flawed. You've clearly awarded Nintendo the runner-up and Sony the crown. What more could you expect to gain from this type of thread?

Let me get out the crystal ball:

MS roxxor!
STFU fool
Sony roxxor!
STFU moron
Nintendo = piss
STFU, Nintendo making money
LOCKED THREAD. biggrin

Nintendo is the trendmaker (Pokemon anyone?); MS is the moneymaker (I bet they'll start printing their own currency soon) and Sony had 7 years of 3rd party support behind their previous version. IF things don't change, I'll eat my hat. (or at least crow). People rally to the winners when it comes to publishing; I predict less 3rd party exclusive titles for our friends at Sony, Wii will actually be VIABLE and POPULAR and MS will gain a slight advantage this round as Sony learns how to run a network themselves after they execute every single SOE employee.

Oh, and I see less exclusives period.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2006, 05:22:36 PM »

Quote from: "HankRaptor"
I like all the systems for DIFFERENT reasons.

I like this reason the best. I own all three consoles (although I'm not sure if I'll do the same this generation, at least at the start), and I play games on all of them. None of them are clearly a 'favorite', as they all have great games on them.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 06:19:39 PM »

The list of PS2 titles is spreading it think for system seller titles. Putting something like Ace Combat on the same level with MGS, Halo, or Zelda is stretching it by a country mile. About half of those PS2 ones shouldn't really be there.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2006, 06:37:54 PM »

The list of PS2 titles is spreading it think for system seller titles.

I just listed exclusives, mostly when taken as a whole would be system sellers. If I listed XBox system sellers, only Halo would be there, and you're right, there'd be fewer Nintendo and Sony ones as well.

---
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2006, 06:49:13 PM »

I don't think Nintendo has a good spread of exclusive titles though, which I think is Nintendo's problem.  Nintendo has some Mario jumping games, an action adventure, a FPS adventure, and some card battling type games.

Wha?

Now, while the Playstations have been the premier console rpg platforms and X-Box the premier console shooter platform, the rest of the genres were fairly well represented amongst all three (with the PS2 and Cube edging out the X-Box on platformers).

Here's a quick list off the top of my head on exclusive titles from the Cube and their corresponding genres:

Mario Sunshine - platformer
Metroid Prime 1 & 2 - adventure/shooter
Killer 7 - shooter
Zelda, Star Fox Adventures - adventure
Fire Emblem - strategy
F-Zero, Mario Kart - arcade racing
the Mario sports games - arcadey sports games
Paper Mario, Baten Kaitos 1 & 2, Pokemon, Crystal Chronicles - rpg
Star Fox, the Rogue Squadron games - space combat (though Star Fox barely involved that imo)

That's just what I came up with in the past five minutes' brainstorming.  Seems like a fairly nice spread of genres there, and I actually was surprised by the number of rpg's there.

Now, granted, the family-friendly appeal of these titles may be a turn-off to many when you could have grittier, more violent games instead, but with only one or two exceptions on this list, every title had quite well-done gameplay even if the style may not appeal to someone personally.

For instance, Kingdom Hearts, the premier action rpg series on the PS2, I found painfully repetitive and dull.  Pokemon is also highly repetitive, but for whatever reason, I can play Pokemon and have fun developing a team of critters via endless random battles, but Kingdom Hearts was simply painful to play despite the fact that I really wanted to like it.  Xenosaga was like this for me, too.  Both were games I had very highly anticipated, and both were games I tried several times to get into, but I eventually had to give up on them.

So while these titles may not be as fun to an individual as a comparable title on another platform, at least objectively it can be stated that a variety of genres were reasonably represented with a few exclusive titles each on the Cube.  I expect the Wii to roughly correspond to this in the long run.

Sure, Sony has a lot of exclusives, but only a couple really appeal to me.  MGS is a big one, but I wouldn't be surprised to see MGS4 eventually released on the 360 as part of a "Subsistence" re-release (we saw this with MGS2, and I think we might see it with MGS3).  I'm a Square Enix junkie and really enjoyed Dragon Quest 8, Final Fantasy X, and am eagerly awaiting FFXII.  And I bought a PS2 for Gran Turismo 3 (though I didn't enjoy 4 nearly as much; just didn't "feel" it).  But that's pretty much it.

For the expense, and for the boneheaded decisions Sony continues to make, I'm going to give the PS3 a pass even though I'm going to miss a couple of games I badly want.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2006, 06:55:05 PM »

I just listed exclusives, mostly when taken as a whole would be system sellers. If I listed XBox system sellers, only Halo would be there [...]

Lets see what gamerankings has to say...
Top 20 Since 2/10/2006
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence PS2  95.0%
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion X360  94.0%
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion PC  93.2%
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter X360  90.6%
Kingdom Hearts II PS2  89.0%
Burnout Revenge X360  88.6%
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror PSP  88.0%
Daxter PSP  87.4%
Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords PC  86.7%
Metroid Prime: Hunters DS  86.3%
Tetris DS DS  85.6%
Fight Night Round 3 X360  85.4%
Mega Man Powered Up PSP  84.6%
TOCA Race Driver 3 XBOX  84.2%
TOCA Race Driver 3 PS2  84.1%
MLB '06: The Show PS2  84.0%
The Lord of the Rings, The Battle for Middle-earth II PC  83.8%
OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast PSP  83.7%
Fight Night Round 3 XBOX  83.7%
Tomb Raider: Legend PS2  83.7%

Nope, no XBOX/360 titles in there [/sarcasm]

DOA, Halo, Panzer Dragoon Orta, KOTOR, Morrowind, Top Spin, Amped, Live, PGR, Crimson Skies, Mech Assault, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, Ninja Gaiden, Forza, Rallisport, Jade Empire HL2, BG&E.

Exclusive. You know, off the top of my head. Oh, and out of my past library.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2006, 06:57:18 PM »

i got told yetserday that sony had lost its exclusive for GTA 4...it will be out on 360 and ps3 on the same day

is this true??

i hope so

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2006, 06:58:52 PM »

Quote from: "tcweidner"
I guess I never got the memo saying it is illegal to own more than 1 system slywink
Oh, you didn't get that one?  Don't worry, all it said was the PS3 would be $600.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2006, 07:01:18 PM »

Quote from: "metallicorphan"
i got told yetserday that sony had lost its exclusive for GTA 4...it will be out on 360 and ps3 on the same day

is this true??

i hope so

No, actually it will be out for the 360 on October 16th, almost an entire month before the PS3 debuts.
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2006, 07:22:33 PM »

Actually that is Oct. 16th 2007.  So they will both be out at the same time.

For me the exclusives between the PS3 and 360 are about the same.  Don't forget three HUGE ones (at least for me), Mass Effect, Too Human, and Gears of War.  Also as far as games on both consoles, I think I'll e getting those for the 360 as I LOVE the 360 controller.  It's the best controller ever made if you ask me.  The dual shock is ok, but it's nowhere near as comfortable as the 360 controller.  MS really hit a homerun with that controller.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2006, 07:26:32 PM »

Until I see next-gen editions of these "exclusives" for Sony, I have nothing to be excited about.  That's the thing here Scott - you don't understand why Nintendo/Microsoft is getting so much love and Sony isn't getting any.  It's because all of their "exclusives" are being shown on next-gen hardware.  Once some Sony games do that the love will spread.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
warning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2006, 07:32:32 PM »

Quote from: "The_Man"

is this true??

i hope so

No, actually it will be out for the 360 on October 16th, almost an entire month before the PS3 debuts.

Front Page yo
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2006, 07:40:10 PM »

I'm of the opinion that, at least as far as 360 vs PS3 goes, exclusives will be much less important this time.  Some people will buy this or that system to get those exclusives, but many will choose on other factors such as price and overall number of games.  That's why the 360 is sitting pretty right now.

As Nintendo is playing in a different market this time, I'm not sure we can compare them to the other two.

In other words, the premise of the thread is irrelevant. smile

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2006, 09:08:14 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

is this true??

i hope so

Front Page yo

thanks,october17th 2007...jeez..got some time to wait yet then

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2006, 09:15:28 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

is this true??

i hope so

Front Page yo

*crawls back into hole*
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2006, 09:55:19 PM »

you don't understand why Nintendo/Microsoft is getting so much love and Sony isn't getting any. It's because all of their "exclusives" are being shown on next-gen hardware. Once some Sony games do that the love will spread.

I understand perfectly well.  I just think its crazy to be wowed by nice little Microsoft show and bury Sony because of it smile.  I'm sure people will be amazed when the Sony titles kick in as well.  I'm just looking at what's been shown now or in the past that still appears an exclusive license.

Its possibly true exclusives won't matter this time.  I'd like Microsoft to expand its depth.   Of course, a lot of the exclusive titles are the top rated games...

Silly me wanting something more then fancy shooters and racers smile.

DOA, Halo, Panzer Dragoon Orta, KOTOR, Morrowind, Top Spin, Amped, Live, PGR, Crimson Skies, Mech Assault, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, Ninja Gaiden, Forza, Rallisport, Jade Empire HL2, BG&E.

Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, BG&E - not exclusive
Morrowind was exclusive, but the sequel, Oblivion, is not

Rallisport, Forza, Orta, Halo - shooters or drivers, yes, Microsoft kicks ass at these

Top Spin really exclusive now?  Either way, Virtua Tennis is better and not exclusive

KOTOR I/II, Jade Empire, Fable represents pretty much all of the XBox's RPG lineup vs how many PS2 options and strategy RPGs?

As Nintendo is playing in a different market this time, I'm not sure we can compare them to the other two.

Maybe not, if the $250 Wiiii rumor is true, that's only $50 off the 360 core, assuming no 360 price drops, which could happen.

---
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2006, 01:14:54 PM »

KOTOR I/II, Jade Empire, Fable represents pretty much all of the XBox's RPG lineup vs how many PS2 options and strategy RPGs?

Most of which are japaneese style games that not everybody likes.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2006, 01:18:41 PM »

The list of PS2 titles is spreading it think for system seller titles.

I just listed exclusives, mostly when taken as a whole would be system sellers. If I listed XBox system sellers, only Halo would be there, and you're right, there'd be fewer Nintendo and Sony ones as well.

You need to split out system sellers from exclusives then because they arn't always the same. Even though Splinter Cell wasn't just on the Xbox it help sell systems.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2006, 07:27:09 PM »

I think, at the end of the day, that software will sell the systems, and the price of the systems won't mean a lot in the end.  I also think that it is the exclusives to each system that really tip the balance.

Personally, as a PC gamer who also plays consoles, price of hardware makes a huge difference. I don't go out and buy video cards over $200, and I only buy a new CPU every 2 years. That kind of cheapness transfers over to the consoles where I don't see myself spending $600 on a game system.

Maybe its just me, but my wallet can't afford buying PC games AND buying a new console AND buying games for both.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2006, 10:41:32 PM »

I understand perfectly well.  I just think its crazy to be wowed by nice little Microsoft show and bury Sony because of it smile.

It was the opposite last year.  The 360 was laughed at (Perfect Dark Zero, which was the big title at the time, was dissapointing).  The whole MTV thing was embarrassing.  A lot of Xbox 1.5 comments, and with good reason.

Microsoft has had some piss poor E3 showings in the past so maybe that is what has people stunned.  MS didn't crash and burn this year, instead they seem to have surprised quite a few nay-sayers with their respectable turnout.

Also, MS is showing 2nd gen titles while PS3 doesn't even seem to have final hardware, or at least it's too new to have seen the true potential.  People don't even seem to mention the Wii in the same sentence as the 360 and PS3.

No matter what Sony shows this year they have a giant black cloud that says "$599" hanging over them.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2006, 10:56:23 PM »

Rallisport, Forza, Orta, Halo - shooters or drivers, yes, Microsoft kicks ass at these.

Wait, hang on a sec, Panzer Dragoon Orta?  That wasn't exactly a shooter, it was more of an old-school rails game

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: