http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 10:13:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: System Discussion: Playstation 3  (Read 9507 times)
stiffler
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2005, 02:44:23 AM »

I am going to assume the controller designed to appeal to female gamers.  The PS3 will have a rumble demo built in that allows you to test indefinately the different rumble strengths from "ooooh" all the way up to "screaming orgasm."  I'm going to buy two; one for the living room and one for the bedroom.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
warning

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2005, 03:10:48 AM »

I hope I can use my Dual Shock 2 controllers.  I have about 4 of them lying around here.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2005, 03:19:55 AM »

Have you guys checked out the video of Killzone from the Gamespot video? If not, check it out - it's freaking amazing (and looks like in game footage, from what I can tell). If you click on the video of the Sony presentation, it begins around 1:33 (that's one hour, thirty three minutes in).
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2005, 03:25:23 AM »

a detachable 2.5 inch HDD slot

Does this mean we're going to have to pay for a HD again? Will it support more than 2 games before they pull the plug?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2005, 03:38:27 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
a detachable 2.5 inch HDD slot

Does this mean we're going to have to pay for a HD again? Will it support more than 2 games before they pull the plug?

I'm hearing rumors about the HDD being optional. Bad idea, Sony. Just as bad as the boomerang from hell controller.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2005, 05:07:17 AM »

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Wow, forget the controller, I just watched the PS3 press conference and the game demos at the end are just amazing.

Go to Gamespot's live coverage site, and check out the PS3 conference link on the right side, under the initial streaming video.  Start watching at about 1 hour 29 minutes in.

Lots of impressive shots, but these were my favorites:
1:31:09 Mobile Suit Gundam - If the gameplay is as cool as this video, I could see myself buying the system for this game alone.  I don't know anything about Gundam, but those were some nice looking giant fighting robots.
1:33:17 Killzone - The still shots don't do it justice, this game looks incredible in motion.  There's so much going on at once, it really comes alive as a full battlefield.
1:44:40 Motor Storm- HO. LEE. CRAP.  Rally cars vs. motocross bikes vs. Humvees  vs. ATVs, kicking mud onto each other's windshields, smashing into each other, getting mangled...  Words and screenshots won't do this any justice.  If you watch nothing else for the PS3, watch this video.  Wow.

It's too bad the hideous controller is getting the spotlight, because wow, Motor Storm.  Did I mention Motor Storm?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2005, 05:15:07 AM »

Actually, it's very similar to the logitech controller, which felt quite natural in my hands.

I'll wait to pass judgement on the controller until I've gotten one in my hands, probably from an in store demo unit.

If all else fails, they'll do what MS did and release a revised controller and make it the standard.  By then I'd have 3rd party controllers.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2005, 05:17:48 AM »

That Killzone footage is no shit the most impressive graphics stuff I've ever scene.  In fact, I'm not sure I believe its real- I don't really know if Guerilla has those kinds of graphical chops.

Agree on the rest of the footage- Motor Storm is pretty f'in amazing too and some of the footage in there definitely looked like it could have been gameplay.  

Also looking forward very much to Insomniac's FPS.  Radical departure from their previoius games but I'll but that game on their reputation alone.  

Oh yeah- Warhawk was some seriously bad ass stuff too.

And after watching the FF7 real time demo- please Square give us a remake or sequel (or both!).
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2005, 05:24:56 AM »

So far I'm impressed.  Don't knock the controller yet.  All we can see are pictures of it from the same angle.  I still feel that the PS2 has the best controller of the bunch and I have faith that they wouldn't screw this up.  It looks very similar to a Logitech controller that I've seen before.  I've never actually tried it before but I always hear how amazing Logitech controllers are.  The only thing that concerns me is that the Triangle and Circle buttons appean to be slanted away on the top half and I'm wondering if it might be a little more awkward to use them.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2005, 05:33:21 AM »

OK...I finally got to watch the whole thing.  I'm very interested, although something troubled me for the almost 2 hour conference...where were the upcoming PS2 games (outside of Final Fantasy XII)?  All they talked about was PS3...why not talk about what is coming up instead of showing what is happening a year from now?

They also totally shut out the PSP unless I missed something.  New handheld and you give it no love?

I can understand they have to show up Microsoft...but at least Microsoft had the decency to show what is upcoming from them for the original Xbox and they have less time before a new system comes out.

I'm still not high on the controller btw...I'm willing to bet this thing is going to cost an arm and a leg (Blu-Ray, all the media readers, the Cell chip, the graphics chip...optional hard drive)...it is the next generation PSX that sold so poorly in Japan.

I would still probably buy one, but I may not be first on the block to do so.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2005, 05:43:04 AM »

I'm also surprised almost no mention of future PS2 and PSP titles.  

I'm not worried in the slightest about the price.  It will be competitive and I expect $299.99.  Unless MS comes out higher than $299 and is actually selling.  I don't expect Sony to come out any higher than MS's pricepoint though.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2005, 05:47:04 AM »

I'm thinking it will be much higher than that.  Although Blu-Ray is proprietary to Sony, they can't be cheap to make.  The Cell processor is probably more expensive to make than the 3 processors running the Xbox 360.  The graphics processor is akin to 2 6800s, which as many have pointed out would be $1,000.  I'm thinking this may be $500 unless they want to really eat the systems and hope that games sell enough to cover.

Microsoft I think sacrificed in the last go around...I think they aren't going to eat as much per system as they did last time.  Big reason is because they're going with regular DVD tech over Blu-Ray/HD-DVD.

Once again, this is only my thoughts...I could be very, very wrong biggrin

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2005, 06:05:35 AM »

I just think it would be suicide for either console manufacturer to come out over $299, maybe $350 max.  I don't care how impressive the tech in the console is, you just aren't going to get early adopters with a high price.  

MS definitely doesn't want to lose as much money next time, but I think they factored that more into the design and manfuctuaring of the system so they can benefit from economies of scale later.  No way they make a profit from the start.  Their whole next-gen strategy hinges on getting a good headstart and they aren't going to sacrifice that with too high an initial price.  

Sony was much more aggressive in their PSP pricing than anyone expected (especiially in Japan) and I think that will continue for the PS3.  It would be suicide to come out more than $50 over Xbox 360's price.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2005, 07:48:03 AM »

Its either going to cost well over $300 or Sony is going to be eating allot of money.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2005, 02:17:29 PM »

I too spent the hour and 50 minutes watching the press conference.  I am so far IN that I'm in danger of coming out the other side.  Even the next generation Eye Toy demo with the ducks impressed me.

What kind of concerns me is the lack of detail given to the PS3 online infrastructure.  They sorta just said that it will be a major part of it, but doesn't give many specifics (video conferencing seems cool though).

Killzone definitely stole the show, but the demos for the new franchises looked awesome as well.  What did NOT impress was GT5 and Devil May Cry 4 (too early perhaps).  I was hoping to see more from EA as well.

I may have to break my rule about first day purchasing with the PS3: the video convinced me THAT much.  Crazy controller be damned!
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2005, 02:19:10 PM »

Quote from: "ChaoZ"
 What did NOT impress was GT5 and Devil May Cry 4 (too early perhaps).

GT5 didn't look any different than it does now.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2005, 02:21:16 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
Quote from: "ChaoZ"
 What did NOT impress was GT5 and Devil May Cry 4 (too early perhaps).

GT5 didn't look any different than it does now.

The only difference I spotted was that there are way more cars on the track at one time.  Then again, they've probably only worked on the new game for like 6 months.
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2005, 03:25:35 PM »

My thoughts are that the unit is, once again, huge. Why does it have to be so big?

And yeah, that controller - no. IMHO, the dual-shock is PERFECT. Why mess with it, just because they HAVE to have something new and different?

I am still getting a PS3 over the Xbox 360, I just hope they tweak the controller a bit.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2005, 03:33:03 PM »

Personally the Dual Shock controllers are too small for my hands.  I loved the dreamcast controllers as well as the original XBOX controller.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2005, 03:35:46 PM »

I love the Dual Shock too.  The only change I would have made would be adding triggers.  

Logitech PS2 wireless + Triggers + Console On/Off Button = Perfect Controller
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2005, 05:04:34 PM »

For a free, full stream of the PS3 conference use:
http://www.gamespot.com/live/stream_asx.html?speed=300&path=2stream_sonypress_e305_hi.asx&playall=&letsgs=&push=0&prestream=&first=

Paste it *directly* into Media Player (Ctrl-U).
Some cool things to check out:
Bath tub demo: 54:20
Realtime spiderman: 59:10
More realtime spiderman: 1:06:00ish

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2005, 12:21:01 PM »

Yikes!!!

From IGN:
Officials from Sony apparently told the newspaper that PlayStation 3s would sell in Japan for "less than 50,000 yen each." That translates to about $465 US dollars.

How much less - like $200 less?

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2005, 01:20:45 PM »

I told people that out of the 3 new systems the PS3 puts itself in the position where it has to be sold for a higher price simply because of the technology involved (Blu-Ray and the Cell processor especially).  If they sell it for the same or less than the 360 they will be eating massive amounts of money, probably more than Microsoft ate on the Xbox.

I'm very frightened of how expensive the PS3 will end up being.  Sony may be on the wavelength of, "we own this generation and hopefully our brand name will translate to the new one even though we may sell it for higher."

Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2005, 01:29:30 PM »

Killzone looked awesome. Is this a title originally developed for PS2?
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2005, 01:35:07 PM »

Quote from: "Raven"
Killzone looked awesome. Is this a title originally developed for PS2?

Doubtful...I'm guessing the sequel was being done as a next-generation release and never thought of for the PS2.  Guerilla took a long time with the original, so it isn't surprising they made the jump to PS3 just so they could see the fruits of their labor actually translated on the screen.  Killzone was a good game, it just had a few problems here and there that brought it down a bit.

Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2005, 02:47:52 PM »

Sony has a history of pricing their brand at a premium.  The PS2 should really be about $99 right now, but isn't it still at $149 + memory cards?

I'd guess $399-$499 at launch for the PS3 console, then of course you have your accessories.  The HD will be sold separately, right?

I'd guess Xbox will be about $399 at launch, and then they will drop it $50-100 right before the PS3 launches as a "gift" to Sony.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2005, 02:54:20 PM »

Any of the consoles being $399 at launch gives me a slight pause, since I cringe at the thought of having to spend that much on one single console.

I suppose I do understand the need to have it higher, since the magical boxes have so much more crap shoved into them, but damn...

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2005, 06:14:39 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Yikes!!!

From IGN:
Officials from Sony apparently told the newspaper that PlayStation 3s would sell in Japan for "less than 50,000 yen each." That translates to about $465 US dollars.

How much less - like $200 less?

With the exception of the PSP, the Japanese typically pay much more for products than we do.  Games are even more expensive over there.  Regular DVDs can go for $30-50.  The Japanese price is likely to be higher than the American market.

If the Japanese price will be less than $465, then I think its safe to say that US will be less than $400.  And I think US pricing will almost entirely be driven by the pricepoint MS selects for 360.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2005, 07:21:40 PM »

So we're rooting for MS to take another hit and charge $75 for the 360!
 :wink:

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 18, 2005, 11:18:17 PM »

What're the odds they'll do something cheesy like price it at $360? heh
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2005, 01:00:45 AM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Sony may be on the wavelength of, "we own this generation and hopefully our brand name will translate to the new one even though we may sell it for higher."

I'd say they are trying just that with the PSP.  You can interpret the salesnumbers and tell us how you think the $250 portable is working out.  I honestly have no idea.  I'd love to have one, but for the price (not to mention the current game selection) I don't yet.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2005, 01:15:31 AM »

Ok, the possible price of 500 bucks has put a damper on my desire to own a PS3.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2005, 02:23:08 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Quote from: "AgtFox"
Sony may be on the wavelength of, "we own this generation and hopefully our brand name will translate to the new one even though we may sell it for higher."

I'd say they are trying just that with the PSP.  You can interpret the salesnumbers and tell us how you think the $250 portable is working out.  I honestly have no idea.  I'd love to have one, but for the price (not to mention the current game selection) I don't yet.

I think its a bit different with the PSP.  They are trying to differentiate it from the DS or GBA and going for a "premium product" status.  Sure they're obviously going for market share in the handheld sector overall but if they wanted to attack DS/GBA head-on they could have produced a system for $150 or less and Playstation 1 caliber graphics and leverage that huge library.  

Plus, the PSP is still cheaper than most expected.  $300 was what most were expecting given its components.  We got shafted with the bundle but the Japanese $185 price is insanely cheap for the product.  And to be honest, I think they made it cheaper for the Japanese market because they knew Nintendo handhelds would be tougher to beat there. The reverse is true for consoles- The 360 still isn't a threat in Japan but it is in America.  Consequently we are likely to see the PS3 for much cheaper here than Japan.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 23, 2005, 05:16:40 AM »

Was there any mention of the PS3 being able to surf the internet? Thought I read that somewhere..

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: