http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 05:17:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: System Discussion: Nintendo Revolution  (Read 8279 times)
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2005, 08:47:36 PM »

Now, you can keep being a blind fan-boy, or you can open your eyes and say hello to reality.

Pot. Kettle.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2005, 09:04:32 PM »

Bullwinkle, I don't know what you're hearing but Nintendo has allready said that the system will be fully HD ready out of the box. I'm still wondering how it will connect to a PC monitor as no mention was made of the AV outputs.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2005, 09:09:12 PM »

Quote from: "Belgedin"
So the formula for success is...

Make game > Make game again, add guns > Make game again, add more guns

I think I get it now. Makes sense.

No dude, the formula for success is to create a sequel that offer the gamer what they loved about the original game, while also providing new gameplay elements that gives the gamer a reason to purchase the new game, instead of merely replaying the original.

If you want to get into specifics, I think that The Wind Waker was the most novel out of the Cube's sequels, Sunshine offered a little something extra, and Double Dash!! really seemed like a retread. In fact, I'd say DD!! was lesser than MK64 in regards to the multiplayer battles.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2005, 10:05:00 PM »

Pot. Kettle.

Don't you forget it. However, I don't need to go jumping threads every friggin chance I get, with "Microsoft/Sony is teh lame! Look, same game!"

Your soul is mine, Devil.

Sports, sports, sports!

No dude, the formula for success is to create a sequel that offer the gamer what they loved about the original game, while also providing new gameplay elements that gives the gamer a reason to purchase the new game, instead of merely replaying the original.

I can't really think of any games that have done that on PS2 or XBox.

Halo 2: Same game.
Jak: (Add guns, woo)
R&C: (Add more guns, woo)
Sly 2: Not really.

Some of those I still enjoyed, mind you. I'm just trying to se exactly how Nintendo is failing and these others are succeeding.

I'll be the first to sigh when I hear about a new Mario Party; they don't really do anything for me now. But that is one of the few that I think Nintendo(and Nin isn't really highly involved with MP anyway) has gone overboard with.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2005, 10:32:33 PM »

Belgedin-

I'm the last guy to be calling a fanboy. Especially against Nintendo. I'm typing this in a room with 2 GBAs, a DS and a purple GC all within arms reach. All I'm saying is that I'm dissapointed in the last round of Nintendo's offerings. Might seem out of line to you, but I think even the biggest fanboy (maybe yourself) might even admit that the GC era was somewhat of a dissapointment.

As for the Sports games comment - I'll just let someone confirm - More than Zelda. More than Mario. More than Snake, GTA and Halo. More than FF. Sports games out-sell them all!

Your soul is already gone!  :twisted:

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2005, 11:10:32 PM »

Bullwinkle, when you say HD, do you mean High Def or Hard Drive?

Hi-Def.

Bullwinkle, I don't know what you're hearing but Nintendo has allready said that the system will be fully HD ready out of the box.

HD ready is not the same thing as fully utilizing the features of HD.  Meaning, unlike the other two consoles which will have HD support for everygame, Nintendo is continuing their current trend and not supporting it fully.

As for where I'm hearing this, it's been all over, but here's one example:  http://www.gametab.com/news/275866/

And a quote:

Games created for two next-generation consoles - the Xbox 360 from Microsoft and the PlayStation 3 from Sony - will display video in wide-screen high-definition format if the console is connected to a high-definition TV. Only Nintendo's entry, code-named Revolution, will not cater to HDTV's.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2005, 01:09:53 AM »

Well, considering that Nintendo has said the system will support HDTV, I don't get it.

They're not coming out and saying everygame will have it, but the system is more than capable and it just takes a developer to implement it.

I see the difference definately, it's mandatory support on the other two and optional for Nintendo, which I agree is not a good decision, but almost every single Nintendo published Cube game ran in Progressive scan, so I don't have too many worries.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2005, 01:25:08 AM »

Belgedin-

I'm the last guy to be calling a fanboy. Especially against Nintendo. I'm typing this in a room with 2 GBAs, a DS and a purple GC all within arms reach. All I'm saying is that I'm dissapointed in the last round of Nintendo's offerings. Might seem out of line to you, but I think even the biggest fanboy (maybe yourself) might even admit that the GC era was somewhat of a dissapointment.

Definitely myself.

However I have to say the XBox is undoubtedly the most disappointing system this generation. I own roughly 15 games, two of which have kept me even remotely entertained(that were also exclusive.)

I won't bother contrasting libraries, suffice to say I own way too many games all around, but the Cube has been the most enjoyable system this generation, without a doubt. There were definitely some gems on PS2 (DW8 will probably be added to the list in short order.) The Xbox was almost a complete waste of money, with nothing in the future to keep me interested. I think even the biggest XBox fan-boys (click the memberlist link slywink I kid) can admit the Xbox was somewhat of a disappointment (See, works both ways)

But yeah, I'm a fan-boy, won't deny it; I don't let it get in the way of playing my PS2 or XBox, but I will get medievil on your butt if you give me crap about Nintendo. Especially when you're not in that MGS rehashathon thread crying havoc =P

Your soul is already gone!

Crap.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2005, 01:47:14 AM »

This is where we seperate - I got the most enjoyment out of my XBox in the current gen. Being a sports/racing game loser, MS was the place to be for my games. That, combined with Live, HD support, the Hard drive and digital audio meant about 80% of my gaming time was on my XBox.

Love the PS2 - Love the CG - Xbox just catered to me more this round.

Does this mean I have an allegience to MS? NO WAY!! I'll drop them like a bag of rocks if something else comes along. I have no loyalty!

I WANT the Revolution to kick ass!!!  They've been kinda quiet since they broke with Prince!

I'm keeping your soul, though!  :wink:

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2005, 08:03:31 AM »

I was there at the Nintendo Press Conference. The general feeling was that the whole thing was underwhelming.  The only impressive part of the show was the new Zelda trailer.  (Although there was a funny mishap during the Nintendogs presentation.)

I didn't see the other two Press Conferences, but Nintendo really failed to impress anyone.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2005, 01:16:48 PM »

Ok, time to get scared about the new controller.  I hadn't seen this pic before, but it shows the Revolution has Gamecube controller ports.  I'm worried this means that the new controller is so insanely crazy different that it wouldn't be useable for Gamecube games.  One thing I know for sure, from that pic it looks like it isn't possible to plug in a Wavebird controller because of the flip up door.

Hopefully I'm wrong, the new controller isn't ridiculous, and the Gamecube plugs are just so you can use your Donkey Kong drums and Mario DDR pad.

edit: I forgot about the GBA link cable, that make sense then.  Ok, maybe the controller will be sane after all.

Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2005, 03:42:12 PM »

Quote from: "Graham"
I didn't see the other two Press Conferences, but Nintendo really failed to impress anyone.

The two things that I've seen from the Nintendo conference that impressed me were the appearance of the box (looks the best out of all of them to me) and the idea that I can basically run any console Nintendo game on it, and that the library from N64 on back will be available via download.  I don't know how anyone couldn't be impressed with the thought of being able to access a huge library going back to the NES, at least until the details (cost, storage, etc.) are hashed out.
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2005, 04:41:46 PM »

Nintendo's exclusive 1st tier games are still very fun to play.  I'm definitely buying the new console because I want to play those exclusive games.  If I don't buy it, I can't play them.  Most if not all Xbox and PS 1st tier games come out on the PC.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2005, 05:46:39 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
One thing I know for sure, from that pic it looks like it isn't possible to plug in a Wavebird controller because of the flip up door.

Actually, to me it looks as if the jacks are upside down - look at the flat part of the not completely circular jacks - so the Wavebird jack would have the "long" end sticking out away from the flip-up door.

Edit: Yeah, I think that the numbering's backwards on those jacks, because when you lay the Revolution down, you place it on the unseen side in that picture. When you do that, the door flips downward, so the jacks would be oriented the same way they are on the Cube, but with an order that would seem to be backwards. Backwards, but Wavebird friendly.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2005, 06:29:36 PM »

Ah good, you're right, I got tricked from seeing . .. ... .... in that order.
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2005, 07:06:48 PM »

This is where we seperate - I got the most enjoyment out of my XBox in the current gen. Being a sports/racing game loser, MS was the place to be for my games. That, combined with Live, HD support, the Hard drive and digital audio meant about 80% of my gaming time was on my XBox.

See this is why I'll get so up-in-arms. There is no objectivity in gamers(myself included.) It isn't so much that I'm a die-hard Nintendo fan-boy, I'll be in line to scream if it does something stupid. But I enjoyed the GC so much this gen that everytime someone cries "kiddy," or "same game," or "milking," they are basically saying "You like stupid games. You're a little robot that will play anything Nintendo commands you to play." It is an insult to me.

I just want to play the games I like, but I'm a hot-head so everytime I come for my news and get slapped in the face I go ballistic. I just want people to shut up and play their games, and stop trying justify insecure purchases by reaming the stuff I like at every opportunity.

Does this mean I have an allegience to MS? NO WAY!! I'll drop them like a bag of rocks if something else comes along. I have no loyalty!

Believe me, when Nintendo stops making games I like I'll drop 'em. Just ask Sega.

I WANT the Revolution to kick ass!!! They've been kinda quiet since they broke with Prince!

Haha, if only Prince had extended that same courtesy slywink

I'm keeping your soul, though!

I may be little more than a hollow shell, devoid of life and animation. But watch your back, I'm coming for my soul. (Just ignore the loud moaning, and raucous shuffling of my feet, you're safe, I swear.)
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2005, 10:43:23 PM »

So any news on games at E3?  Any video or anything?  BOO if not!
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2005, 11:21:08 PM »

I think a brief clip of Samus with a new ship was the only taste anyone got of the Revolution - but it looked like the clip was running on the Metroid Prime engine used for the Cube.

I tells ya, I want the final colour scheme for the Revolution to be black with grey piping and a red disk bay, so that it harkens back to the original NES. As well, unless "Revolution" really ties into the new console, I want the bad boy called Phoenix, now more than ever, since not only will this hopefully be Nintendo's return to the forefront of gaming, but also since the console seems to be a means of resurrecting older games.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2005, 11:32:42 PM »

So I guess they won't be showing off any titles at all now?
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2005, 01:49:22 AM »

Belgedin -

I hear you! All this stuff is a matter of taste. I try to be pretty objective and at least I own one of your rotten :wink: Gamecubes so I think I can bring something to the table. In fact, I bet over the course of the system, I've owned more GC games then some of the biggest Nintendo fans in here!

Everyone is pretty adult in here, so you won't see any fanboy crap for the most part.

Me being personally dissappointed in the system shouldn't have an effect on you or anyone else. Enjoy your gaming!

Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2005, 02:34:23 AM »

Hehe, yeah it isn't that you're dissapointed, its that I have read about it every time I come in here slywink

Like I said, I am, much to my shame, a hot-head. But more than that having to deal with the constant bashing of my favorite system this gen has worn on me.

I don't really have a problem with anyone here, but I know I've gone off a few times, and generally speaking I'm sorry for each occurence. I keep doing  it, though... you'd think I'd learn by now slywink
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2005, 03:03:52 AM »

Lots of conspiracy theories about the Revolution going around. Try this one:

http://mozlapunk.web-log.nl/log/2574674

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2005, 03:23:25 AM »

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention THURSDAYTON.  I didn't want to bring it up here because frankly I find it pretty unbelievable.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2005, 09:38:49 AM »

Looking into that one blog link, I did find it interesting that www.nintendoon.com links directly to an IGN Cube news page that has a link to the "fake" Revolution promo video that popped up last week. That I find weird. I'd love nothing more than for Nintendo to one up MS with an online game that puts the rather nonsensical ourcolony.net viral campaign to shame.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2005, 02:36:41 AM »

Quote from: "Gedd"

The two things that I've seen from the Nintendo conference that impressed me were the appearance of the box (looks the best out of all of them to me) and the idea that I can basically run any console Nintendo game on it, and that the library from N64 on back will be available via download.  I don't know how anyone couldn't be impressed with the thought of being able to access a huge library going back to the NES, at least until the details (cost, storage, etc.) are hashed out.

The case for the Revolution isn't the final design.  They haven't decided on that.  It could look better or it could look worse.

Here's what I got from the Nintendo Press Conference.

They aren't making many more GBA games and focusing on the DS.

Most of the non-Nintendo games they were showing off were non-exclusive, except for Killer 7.  Big deal.

GB micro, for those who want to play games on a screen the size of a postage stamp.

You don't know if it is just Nintendo first party games, and how much will they charge for the games?

Some people thought that had MS not come out with the Xbox 360, Nintendo wouldn't have said anything about the Revolution.  The graphic was cheesy, the slides looked rushed, and the Metroid Prime graphic they showed wasn't all that much better than the GC.  Also, who shows a console without a controller.  Even Sony did that, even though everyone thinks it looks stupid.

Walking out, it seemed like there was one big collective *shrug* at the end.  No big applause or anything.  The rooom was standing room only because it was just too small.

Oh well.  Time will tell.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2005, 02:47:36 AM »

Most of the non-Nintendo games they were showing off were non-exclusive, except for Killer 7.  Big deal.

FWIW, Killer 7 is no longer a GC-exclusive.  It hits the PS2 the same day (6/27).

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2005, 04:19:01 AM »

Ron and I got a hands on with the gameboy micro today and I'm a helluva lot more impressed than I thought I was going to be.  In fact, I kind of wanted one, it's pretty damn cool.  I'm going to try and work on a write-up tonight.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2005, 06:30:54 AM »

In an interview on G4, Reggie Fils-Aime gave a hint about the controller, saying that, in order to play the NES - Gamecube games, you'd need a controller that would be able to play like all the earlier controllers.  This certainly sounds like the controller will be configurable in some way, possibly with the changeable touchscreen idea rumored before E3.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2005, 02:07:56 PM »

This isn't encouraging (from IGN interview:

IGNcube: Can we expect Nintendo to collaborate with more third parties on Revolution games?

Shigeru Miyamoto: At this point, we've only been talking with a few companies. However, if other companies come forward and they want to join us to work with us to create games, of course that would be great for us. One thing we want to make sure that we don't do is have too many games of the same type or genre. We don't want too many games involving the same themes or characters.

Sounds like there might be, once again, a dearth of 3rd party support.
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2005, 02:17:25 PM »

I think to play Gamecube or older titles you have to plug a gamecube controller into the 4 game ports. If so than the new controller is very different from what we have now. Not sure if this is good or bad.

This Reuters article states "Iwata said the new console is aimed at customers who hate clutter and find current games and the controllers used to play them to be confusing and difficult." and "Right now, game consoles are important for the game fan, but for the rest of the family, it's just a piece of nuisance that's loud and eats up electricity ... We want to create games for people who haven't played games but are curious about them."

Not sure how to take these statements about the controller and who they are making games for. I like having lots of buttons. I dont want a 1 button controller that only has 1 action command. I figure their controller will have some gyro functions like some of the recent gba games, but hope it still is semi normal. If its not I dont see a lot of game developers writing games for it at least not multisystem games, unless they would write it for the gamecube controller. What type of games will they make if their focus is not on gamers? I like popcap games but dont want a console that only has those type of games.

I want to like the Revolution because I like Nintendo games and havent played any gamecube ones. So a Revolution with backward compatibility sounds good. Maybe I'll just get a used gamecube instead. I've already got enough PC and XBox games to play through so I'm not in big hurry to rush into the next gen and I'm definitely waiting until all 3 are out until I decide. I was just hoping more details (even just game footage) would be showed of the revolution.

Edit: From other posts I've read on planetgamecube, maybe N is opting out of the MS vs Sony vs Nintendo thing. Let MS and Sony fight for one set of gamers/games and then those that want Nintendo exclusives (true exclusives due to weird controller) would buy the Revolution. Since N often makes cheaper consoles, maybe if its cheap (and small) enough than many wouldnt mind buying the Revolution just for the N games.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2005, 05:50:29 PM »

That's actually a sentiment many N fanboys have come to accept. Personally, I don't have a problem with the Revolution being a side console, one that doesn't intend on competing with the 360 or PS3. But the problem with this is that I don't want "dumbed down" versions of the Nintendo franchises because of the controller. I look forward to the new controller, but I hope that Nintendo doesn't do its own games a diservice by over-simplifying it. We will see....

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2005, 09:43:01 PM »

Hey ralph, that quote is more in reference to things like Nintendo making games with Namco, or Sega or Capcom. As in they let these other studios develop Nintendo branded games.

I'm with everyone in that a weird controller will sink any kind of great momentum they could build on the attractive machine.

It's  shame, and I have that fear that they will be too out there.

Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: May 21, 2005, 01:14:45 PM »

I bet it will be a module controller were you can assemble parts and options at will.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: