http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 10:05:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: System Discussion: Nintendo Revolution  (Read 8311 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2005, 05:01:00 PM »

Its only been on for approx 15 minutes.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2005, 05:02:20 PM »

Oops, I thought it started at 9 PDT for some reason.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2005, 05:03:13 PM »

Nah, you were right.  It started 45 minutes late.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2005, 05:16:46 PM »

Gameboy Micro (tiny as shit) just announced.  Plays all GBA games.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2005, 05:17:59 PM »

From what I'm hearing (from somebody who's watching the live stream), it's a joke.

Game Boy Micro just announced - a new micro GBA that plays all GBA titles.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2005, 05:20:53 PM »

My stream is choppy as, uh...something really really choppy.  I see him whip out a Gameboy Micro, then 2 to 1 something.  What's 2 to 1?
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2005, 05:23:00 PM »

Gameboy Micro? The Gameboy SP is already too small for my hands; how the hell am I going to be able to play the Gameboy Micro?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2005, 05:23:46 PM »

Revolution presentation is bombing IMO.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2005, 05:30:27 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Revolution presentation is bombing IMO.

That's my thoughts too.

Look - show the console or don't show the console.

At least they announced a new Smash Brothers. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2005, 05:31:47 PM »

And there's the Revolution - you can purchase ALL non-handheld games EVER created for ALL Nintendo systems into the console.

"So we can feel young again."

And it'll be ALL titles - not just Nintendo ones, based on the titles he listed.

Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2005, 05:33:49 PM »

And there's the Revolution - you can purchase ALL non-handheld games EVER created for ALL Nintendo systems into the console.

And it'll be ALL titles - not just Nintendo ones, based on the titles he listed.

Don't screw around. Is that true? I'll crap my pants if that is true.
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2005, 05:36:09 PM »

A quote from PlanetGameCube.com

· Freedom of design: A dynamic development architecture equally accommodates both big-budget, high-profile game “masterpieces” as well as indie games conceived by individual developers equipped with only a big idea.

O_O
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2005, 06:10:45 PM »

Quote from: "Belgedin"

Don't screw around. Is that true? I'll crap my pants if that is true.

They just announced it - I'm watching the Gamespot stream.

Other Cube titles they're showing - Advance Wars (looks decent), Pokemon (a true RPG - about bleeping time), Killer 7 (a very violent and gruesome title), Mario Baseball, Mario Soccer, yet another Mario Party title (with 8 player mode), and a Dance Dance Revolution title with Mario in it.

Geist and Fire Emblem look really good, too.

And Zelda...I'm impressed. This is the Zelda title the console should've seen. And as a neat bonus, everybody at the conference gets the Zelda video on a DS card. Too bad I didn't bring my DS with me.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2005, 06:11:09 PM »

So, once again, Nintendo is pushing nostalgia.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2005, 06:12:16 PM »

A quote from PlanetGameCube.com

· Freedom of design: A dynamic development architecture equally accommodates both big-budget, high-profile game “masterpieces” as well as indie games conceived by individual developers equipped with only a big idea.

O_O

That could be the who "make games" concept.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2005, 06:16:17 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

Which titles weren't published by Nintendo?  I didn't notice any as he ran through them.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2005, 06:19:33 PM »

Oh, and Bullwinkle, I think you might just be redeemed

A-Thenk yew.

I guess they're not really showing videos of their next gen system, which means (wait for it) the Revolution will not be televised.

And you thought the presentation bombed...

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2005, 06:22:14 PM »

There's only so many times I can play an older Final Fantasy before it starts to suck. smile Come on, Nintendo, don't be content with nostalgia. Also, get those games out faster this generation. For every first-tier title from Nintendo there were what, four to five PS2 and XBox titles in the same time span?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2005, 06:28:22 PM »

It seems pretty obvious this isn't all the Rev has going for it. We still don't know anything about the controller. So far I'm happy, I would love to get back my old S/NES collections. And the indie dev thing could be HUGE.

I think the Rev still has something up its sleeve, though.

Oh, and according to PGC the new Smash Bros. is online! O_o

For every first-tier title from Nintendo there were what, four to five PS2 and XBox titles in the same time span?

Oh yeah, the XBox definitely has 4x the number of top tier titles GameCube has  :roll: That isn't even true of the PS2.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2005, 06:35:39 PM »

Well I hope they release more information about it at E3.  How about some video of games????
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2005, 06:35:55 PM »

Yeah Devil, but why not? Think about the general public, hell look at those things in the mall during christmas, the ones that have a NES in a conrtoller and plays a bunch of pirated games? Those sell really well, and now Nintendo is saying that you can sit in your house, connect to the internet for free and get all of the old games you used to play.

Of course the pricing will be key, but what's to keep independent developers from publishing new games made for older systems? Or to keep the homebrew emulation crowd from going nuts on the machine? Or from keeping companies who shied away from releasing certain titles here 15 years ago to get some balls and release the original versions etc.

To me that is very cool, and I think it's a great idea, might not get used all the time but sounds great as of now.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2005, 06:37:41 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
Yeah Devil, but why not? Think about the general public, hell look at those things in the mall during christmas, the ones that have a NES in a conrtoller and plays a bunch of pirated games? Those sell really well, and now Nintendo is saying that you can sit in your house, connect to the internet for free and get all of the old games you used to play.

Yeah, I think there is a big market for this.  I got my wife one those controller things this Christmas.  She loves the old games.  She basically took the GBA away from me and plays nothing but Dr. Mario and Bubble Bobble.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2005, 06:39:15 PM »

The press conference is available at Gamespot now if you want to try watching it without Buffering...23% every 10 seconds.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2005, 06:39:29 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Quote from: "Destructor"

Which titles weren't published by Nintendo?  I didn't notice any as he ran through them.

You know, now that I think about it, you're right - all the titles he listed were Nintendo published.

As I said in the main site - I want to see ALL titles be downloadable. Period.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2005, 06:42:44 PM »

I’m confident they could fit every title ever made on the NES and SNES on one of the discs.  

They take under a gig of space on my Xbox’s hard drive! smile

Wake up.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2005, 06:48:39 PM »

I agree with you to a point - but it seems that the Nintendo strategy is because you liked a game 10 years ago, we'll keep feeding to you with minor upgrades over and over. The law off diminishing returns is killing me!

Now that you're going to be able to play the original Mario Kart and the GC Mario Kart on the Revolution, are they going give you a "NEW" Mario Kart for the Revolution? All this is going to show you is that the new game isn't much different from the last one and that one isn't much different from the first. Great the first time. Stop piling on!

What # Mario Party are we on now? Is anyone chomping at the bit to play Mario Party 3 again?

I'll tell you what - I would have been happy if they announced you could play all the old titles on the Revolution BUT 90% of the 1st party Revolution games weren't re-hashes.

All I want is new stuff and all they give me is old stuff. Granted there are exceptions and changes (Zelda, Mario, Pikmin, Donkey Konga) but most of their titles are just the same games I've already played.

You guys can hammer away on me for this, but I'm getting frustrated!

I really want to like Nintendo, but they keep pushing me further away. Maybe I'm holding them to a standard they can't possibly live up to.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2005, 06:51:45 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
For every first-tier title from Nintendo there were what, four to five PS2 and XBox titles in the same time span?

I'm sorry, but that's just ludicrous.  Don't believe me?  Go to gamerankings and do a search of the top 50 highest rated games for each console (PS2, Xbox, and Cube).  

Remove the multiplatform games from those lists, and then show me who has all of the exlusive '1st tier' games.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2005, 06:52:27 PM »

I hear you Devil, for the first time ever, I may not go with Nintendo.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2005, 06:55:10 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Now that you're going to be able to play the original Mario Kart and the GC Mario Kart on the Revolution, are they going give you a "NEW" Mario Kart for the Revolution? All this is going to show you is that the new game isn't much different from the last one and that one isn't much different from the first. Great the first time. Stop piling on!

What # Mario Party are we on now? Is anyone chomping at the bit to play Mario Party 3 again?

When you sell as much as Mario Kart titles do (including the Cube version), yes you keep making them.   Do you expect MS to get rid of the Halo franchise?  

And the Mario Party titles sell very well too.

I agree on needing new franchises.  Nintendo successfully launched Animal Crossing this generation and had limited success with Pikmin.  Eternal Darkness was another hopeful but sold horribly despite stellar reviews.    

However, there is a reason that Nintendo keeps trotting out the old titles- they sell like gangbusters.  You might be tired of them but the market for them is still huge.
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2005, 06:55:10 PM »

Devil,

Why don't you go enjoy DMC4, or GT5, or Daxter, etc, etc. Nintendo is no more guilty of "rehashes" (as you call them) than Microsoft and Sony, et al.

You're frustrating me, it is obvious you're not remotely objective in any of your criticism.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2005, 06:57:16 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
I agree with you to a point - but it seems that the Nintendo strategy is because you liked a game 10 years ago, we'll keep feeding to you with minor upgrades over and over. The law off diminishing returns is killing me!

I'll tell you what - I would have been happy if they announced you could play all the old titles on the Revolution BUT 90% of the 1st party Revolution games weren't re-hashes.

All I want is new stuff and all they give me is old stuff. Granted there are exceptions and changes (Zelda, Mario, Pikmin, Donkey Konga) but most of their titles are just the same games I've already played.

You guys can hammer away on me for this, but I'm getting frustrated!

I really want to like Nintendo, but they keep pushing me further away. Maybe I'm holding them to a standard they can't possibly live up to.

This from a guy who buys every iteration of almost every sports franchise?

I feel you man, I really do, but they really publish what the masses want, and they throw in the odd new game here and there.

They're definately talking like we will get new ideas and different games, but who knows.

I can't say that I disagree with you, I in fact think your points are fairly valid, but I don't see it as bad as you do. Especially when Sony, Three Ratchets and three Jak in three years and you rail on Nintendo, and Microsoft all do the same thing, and if either of the other companies had Nintendo's mascots they'd trot them out every other game.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2005, 07:23:49 PM »

Every company is guilty of surviving on sequels.  Original properties are a risk that few take because chances are it isn't going to sell so well.  Instead established properties have to keep a system going.

Katamari Damancy and God of War are probably the most recent examples of original properties that have done well.  Since they did well...what are we going to get?  Sequels to both.  We live in an era where sequels are king, much like the movie business.

The original stuff out there that can sell well are few and far between.  I would go so far as to say that Sony relies on sequels more than any of the other two.  MGS, GTA (3 and beyond), Jak, Ratchet, Sly, Final Fantasy and Gran Turismo...this is what Sony has been built upon.  Those are some of the highest selling PS One and PS2 games around.

Nintendo as a company has been making console games longer than Sony or Microsoft (note I said console).  Their power lies in their own internal games versus Sony and Microsoft that thrive on 3rd party offerings for the most part.

OK...this ended up being longer than I originally intended, so I'll end it now.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2005, 07:49:48 PM »

Devil,

Why don't you go enjoy DMC4, or GT5, or Daxter, etc, etc. Nintendo is no more guilty of "rehashes" (as you call them) than Microsoft and Sony, et al.

Hardly.  Nintendo has been doing it for nearly two decades now - far longer than either Sony or MS.  When it comes to flogging the same franchises over and over again, Nintendo takes the cake.  

And it's not only sequels now - it's the exact same thing we played a dozen years ago, we just get to pay again for the privilege.  Like the $20 NES "reissues", except on an even larger scale.  Nintendo has lost so much traction and suffered quite a bit of backlash over the past few years because they're relying on the same old same old... and now they're going even further down that hole.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2005, 07:56:30 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"

Hardly.  Nintendo has been doing it for nearly two decades now - far longer than either Sony or MS.  When it comes to flogging the same franchises over and over again, Nintendo takes the cake.  

Um, its kind of impossible for Nintendo not to have been doing it longer- Sony has only been in the race for two generations and MS for one.  The only one whose been in the business as long as Nintendo is Sega and, yep, I still see Sonic and Phantasy Star titles coming out.

Do you honestly believe that if Halo 10 sells 2 million copies for Microsoft in 20 years that we won't get Halo 11?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2005, 08:00:31 PM »

I actually think Nintendo is (for once) seeing the writing on the wall and is pro-actively answering it.  First, the music business got their asses handed to them with file swapping.  It's happening with movies and TV now, too (there was a big article in Entertainment weekly this week about flagging of broadcast shows not being allowed).  The emu scene has been around for much longer, but it's still comaritively underground.  How long before System/Game swapping hits the mainstream?  I think this is a very smart move on Nintendo's part.  

However, I also agree that Nintendo has spent too much time looking back and not enough evolving forward.  No HD features?  Come on, Nintendo.  Get with it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2005, 08:00:32 PM »

But you could argue that Nintendo's only been doing it longer because they've had the franchises for longer. If Sega was still around as a console maker, you could bet that Sonic would be going solo on their unit.

I get the sense that Nintendo has taken a lot of flak for their sequels this generation because they haven't shown enough of an improvement over the previous games. On the N64, Mario and Zelda were, I would say, revolutionary titles. No one complained about those sequels. They created genre defining gameplay mechanics. It seem that on the Cube, the sequels haven't been much more than face lifts on previous titles. As much as I enjoyed the games, I would lump Mario Sunshine, The Wind Waker, and Double Dash!! into this category.

As for Sony's undeniably numerous sequels on the PS2, I just think that the developers have done a better job of adding to the games, changing things, improving(?) on the previous entries.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2005, 08:05:17 PM »

Bullwinkle, when you say HD, do you mean High Def or Hard Drive?
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2005, 08:10:26 PM »

Maybe Tebunker has hit on my issue - Nintendo has been around longer so the franchises are older and the updates are more prominent in their lineup. Not their fault really.

What percentage of the Nintendo first party lineup is original titles compared to Sony? Someone must have this info.

As for my sports 'issue'  :wink:  - I agree. They are the same game over and over again, but so are the sports they are emulating. MS, for whatever reason, thought it was a bad idea to release sports games every year (maybe because theirs were sub-par) and they stopped doing it. So there is hope!

They haven't, and they wouldn't, but like I've said before - Nintendo could put a steaming pile of turd in a DVD case, call it Mario Poopy 12 and it would sell through the roof. So sales aren't everything. How many CDs does Brittney Spears sell?

Maybe I'm just bored of the few games they have.

This isn't personal, or a threat to anyone's family so don't take it that way. These are games, we'll all be fine!  biggrin

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2005, 08:20:34 PM »

As for my sports 'issue'  - I agree. They are the same game over and over again, but so are the sports they are emulating. MS, for whatever reason, thought it was a bad idea to release sports games every year (maybe because theirs were sub-par) and they stopped doing it. So there is hope!

It's been speculated that Microsoft agreed to divest themselves of their sports franchises in a deal with EA. In exchange,  EA would fully support Xbox Live  and bring their franchises to the 360. The timing between the EA agreement and MS's announcement that its franchises were being shelved (and then the subsequent sale of their sports properties to Take Two) was too close to be coincedental.
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2005, 08:40:46 PM »

Hardly. Nintendo has been doing it for nearly two decades now - far longer than either Sony or MS. When it comes to flogging the same franchises over and over again, Nintendo takes the cake.

And it's not only sequels now - it's the exact same thing we played a dozen years ago, we just get to pay again for the privilege. Like the $20 NES "reissues", except on an even larger scale. Nintendo has lost so much traction and suffered quite a bit of backlash over the past few years because they're relying on the same old same old... and now they're going even further down that hole.

Sorry, still applies to every developer out there. Nintendo has been around 20 years, of course they have more sequels, but they're no worse about it than anyone else. Now, you can keep being a blind fan-boy, or you can open your eyes and say hello to reality.

As for Sony's undeniably numerous sequels on the PS2, I just think that the developers have done a better job of adding to the games, changing things, improving(?) on the previous entries.

So the formula for success is...

Make game > Make game again, add guns > Make game again, add more guns

I think I get it now. Makes sense.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: