http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 08:06:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sword of the Stars..more info  (Read 8637 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2006, 01:31:31 PM »

IGN preview of SotS.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/716/716336p1.html

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
siege

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2006, 10:52:01 PM »

The demo is coming out Tuesday on FilePlanet.

Specs:

Minimum System Requirements For Sword of the Stars:
Microsoft Windows 2000/XP
1 GHz Pentium/compatible CPU
512 MB RAM system memory
128 MB DirectX8 class video card
4x CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive
56-Kpbs modem

Recommended System Requirements For Sword of The Stars:
Microsoft Windows 2000/XP
1.5 GHz Pentium/compatible CPU
1 GB RAM system memory
128 MB RAM DirectX9 class video card
4x CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive
Broadband Connection
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2006, 09:14:27 AM »

Yay a pc game that I can play!  Also, a genre that I love.  Win/win baby.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2006, 11:30:34 AM »

Great news!  Thanks siege.

Can't wait to give it a try.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2006, 03:58:07 PM »

Good interview indeed (especially for a year old) although it's a little disappointing that out of 20 questions not even one of them asked about the singleplayer or AI in the game. (Though no problem asking about multiplayer.)

I'm in the same boat as a few others here, very rarely playing strategy games online.
Most of the time I just play skirmish mode (if there is one) but sometimes, depending on the game, I'll get into the campaign mode.

I'm sure it's safe to assume that sword of the stars with follow the tradition of most 4X games and deliver a challenging AI. There's just way too many people that play games like this offline still.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2006, 02:27:29 PM »

Is anyone on our site interested in firing up a multiplayer game or two to try and learn the game?

If so, let me know.  I wouldn't mind (once I aquire the demo) learning the game with someone else, especially if there is a chat_all option where we could try and figure things out together while at the same time trying to beat the piss out of each other.

Would be fun methinks.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2006, 05:03:53 AM »

I'm up for it, let me know when you can play.

How many players can play at once?
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2006, 02:05:44 AM »

Well, I've run 2 games so far and gotten my ass kicked both times...

I keep getting mobbed with ships while I try to build up my economy (the second time around, my economy tanked trying to develop 4 colonies at once).

Any hints?

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2006, 03:07:19 AM »

Early on it's more important to pump out those ships and research so that you can find a hospitable planet.

Colonizing one of the less suitable worlds is a massive drain on your economy that you could do without.

Since this is a combat oriented game, always be producing ships, scuttle older designs since they can't be upgraded.

Always make sure you have at least 1 strong battlefleet, if not 2.  One stationed at your homeworld, the other should be moving about as necessary.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2006, 11:28:23 AM »

I forgot about this thread.

Sorry for asking for fellow players and then bolting, Turtle.

Truth of the matter is, I'm not liking the game nearly as much as I thought I would be, so my interest has dwindled dramatically.  Bummer that.

I apologize.

LD

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2006, 02:48:10 PM »

The UI is atrocious and the devs are dickheaded on the scale of Derek Smart.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2006, 09:05:13 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Yeah, in on the OO and QT3 boards I noticed they were getting a tad bit abrasive.  Not sure if it was brought on by the posters or they are just being rude.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2006, 09:42:31 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
I forgot about this thread.

Sorry for asking for fellow players and then bolting, Turtle.

Truth of the matter is, I'm not liking the game nearly as much as I thought I would be, so my interest has dwindled dramatically.  Bummer that.

I apologize.

No problem, the game definitely has its issues and I don't think the MP mode would fix them.
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2006, 03:37:16 PM »

This game is gettting a lot of bad feedback. I guess its not going to challenge GC2.

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
Chaplin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2006, 07:58:28 PM »

Quote from: "FlyingElvis"
This game is gettting a lot of bad feedback. I guess its not going to challenge GC2.

I like it in ways that I just could not like GalCiv2.  GC2 just had too much of the stuff I did not enjoy at all.  I am just not into sneaky trading, political dancing, putting new icons on a planet.  I like the combat above else.  And as a combat junkie, I found GC2 lacking.  There is not enough emphasis on it, and where it is, it is automated.  But that's me.

SotS still has a light layer of politics and infastructure, but a heavy focus on war and controlable combat with designed ships.  This is exactly the focus I like.

Now, SotS has not so much a learning curve, as a frustration curve.  Stuff is not obvious, and the same stuff you have to wonder how the designers can not feel embarassed or even acknowledge the issues that seem universal across all forums execpt their very heavily moderated own.  That said, if you can get through the issues, it is a fun game, a really fun and cool game if you like heavy combat games that are not JUST combat.  

I expect the game will get slammed in reviews, and the word of mouth that was carrying it, has been systematically annahilated.  The game will fail.  It will not be a commercial success, that is clear from the reaction of the designers.  Still there is a good and very enjoyable game that will suck long hours away from your night.  There is a "one more turn" game here, but you have to close the doors, forget what you read in forums, and plow to the other side to get there.  

To me it was similar to my experience with Dominions 2.  That game was clunky, very non-intuitive, with a whole lot of "what the heck does this do/ mean", all wrapped up with really ugly graphics.  REAL UGLY.  Yet, I tried 3 times to sit down with the demo of Dom2 and the fan made "walk through", and finally got to the "I get it" stage and promptly ordered it.  I then had a lot of fun.

If you want to have a good time with a space war game that is not just an RTS, then check it out.  But plug your ears/ eyes to forum goers and developers and just work through it.  

The interface is quite functional, its just not streamlined or obvious.  Tactically a lot of standard features are held from the player until they get a tech for them.  Imagine the reaction to say homeworld if the fighters and fleets had not formation abilities until you could tech up to them?  Or if you could only have 3 fighters and a single frigate unless you researched a bigger fleet limit?  Etc.  This is part of the negative reaction to SotS.  The other parts are overcome if you play on through it, experiment, and read up on the gaps that you can't figure out.

Or not, it is up to you.
phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2006, 07:15:10 PM »

Quote from: "Chaplin"

There is a "one more turn" game here, but you have to close the doors, forget what you read in forums, and plow to the other side to get there.  

If you want to have a good time with a space war game that is not just an RTS, then check it out.  But plug your ears/ eyes to forum goers and developers and just work through it.

Excellent advice, which I took. I spent about 4 hours with the demo last night and I agree. It may not be a GC2 killer, and it probably won't do very well in the market, but there's a lot ot enjoy here. I like it quite a bit more than I thought I would, largely for the very reasons Chaplin laid out.

If you are into this genre, at least try the demo..., what have you got to loose?

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
Chaplin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2006, 10:00:08 PM »

Good news for those who still care. This announcement covers some rather common issues with the demo. 2, 9, and 11 are big deals to me personally:

Quoting from their forum:

I've compiled the list of changes Mecron has confirmed on this board for the first patch due when the game is released.

1. Hotkey to delete designs in Design screen
2. Relative ratings for weapons tooltip/popup in the Design screen
3. Hotkey to cycle through colonies in Strat screen
4. Hotkey to cycle through colonies in the Build screen
5. Hotkey to cycle through detected enemies in Tactical Battles
6. Game no longer warns you when Human node paths exceed current ship range
7. Tooltip on Construction Slider to show current ship being built
8. Unloaded biomissle and assault shuttle DEs will have the health "+" replaced with a health "!"
9. Auto-refuel/repair default toggled by an .ini file setting
10. Hotkey to focus on ships entering from reinforcements
11. Change formation facings in Tactical Battles
12. Faster popups/tooltips

As the patch becomes finalized the full list of changes will be posted. This list is only a sample. Hopefully this will cut down on the redundant suggestions and requests.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2006, 03:12:49 AM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on August 03, 2006, 02:48:10 PM

The UI is bad. But comparing the devs to Derek Smart is overstating things a bit.  They really need to hire a PR guy to speak for them on their forums, however I enjoyed the demo more than I thought I would after reading some forums.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2006, 06:48:42 PM »

I didn't like it.

ninja
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2006, 08:50:29 AM »

I've been having quite a bit of fun with the game.  I've also been waiting for a new space 4x to show up, so that probably affects my views somewhat.

My current game I've been struggling, despite having dreadnaughts.  I made the mistake of overextending myself attacking my main enemy, and lost my primary attack fleet.  Of course thanks to the Humans high strategic speed, it was also my main defensive fleet.

I'm hoping I can get replacements built before one of the opponents decides to try and take advantage of my weakness.  Doesn't help that the 1st place empire just ended our non-aggression pact.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2006, 07:33:41 PM »

Well, these guys might be dickheads, but the release patch shows that they were listening to feedback, despite some offensive PR.  That redeemed them enough in my mind for me to buy the full game.

I haven't played it enough to have an opinion about it yet, only that the release patch solves a ton of the annoying problems with the demo.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2006, 08:05:18 PM »

I had it in my hands at Best Buy yesterday.  But couldn't pull the trigger.  If the patch is that good I might go back and grab it.

Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2006, 02:41:46 AM »

I'm enjoying it... after it clicked that in this 4X game you have to be aggressive. I'm having fun raping worlds with a fleet based around a pair of dreadnaughts...

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2006, 03:00:06 AM »

Quote from: Atragon on September 06, 2006, 02:41:46 AM

... I'm having fun raping worlds with a fleet based around a pair of dreadnaughts...

I like the sound of that.  nod

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2006, 01:46:16 PM »

Yeah... it's definitely less of a 4X and more of Homeworld Tactics.  There is no way to win outside of killing everyone, and there aren't any penalties for playing dirty with bioweapons or anything (ie, no "atrocity" mechanic or diplomatic reputation to worry about).

Now, as Homeworld Tactics, it's awesome.  Just don't go into it thinking you're going to get a 4X game ala GalCiv/MoO/Space Empires.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2006, 04:25:29 PM »

How is the actual combat?  Does it compare favorably with Homeworld? 

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2006, 01:27:31 AM »

Patch 1.21 is out if anyone is interested.  The AI has received a massive update and the particle effects have been updated.  Just a heads up. 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: