http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 06:46:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sword of the Stars Collectors Edition Released  (Read 2160 times)
Hamsterball_Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2008, 02:52:43 PM »

I just found out about this.  SotS + BoB + new content (which will also be released in a 1.5 patch) and some other goodies listed below.  It's supposed to be out although really hard to find (big surprise).  The patch and a new demo haven't been released yet.

SPECIAL COLLECTOR'S EDITION CONTENT

- 75,000 word Novel. The Deacon's Tale, by famed writer Arinn Dembo!

- CE Edition Badges for each race
- 3 new map shapes. Barbell, Galactic Clouds, and Real Space, a map using the real co-ordinates of earth and the surrounding 350 stars.
- Built in tutorial movies by our own lead Cleric, Rorschach!
- Special SotS server program. Set up your own server game and leave it up indefinetly for your friends and yourself to come and go from as you please.

- Bonus Disk containing...
-collected load screen art and proposal sketches,
-full collection of SotS trailers and Kerberos Electric Playground Interviews
-CD quality versions of ALL SotS/Bob Music including alternate versions and unused tracks...27 tracks in all!
-Full races appendix.

SotS 1.5 FREE Update

Fixes

1) - Trickling AI reinforcements in combat.
2) - Rare bug where saved games could blow up in file size.
3) - Insta death caused by ships bunching up in combat.
4) - Pursuit mode bunching up in combat.
5) - Grav and implosion mines not working correctly.
6) - Bug in Hungry Children AI processing.
7) - Mouse wheel not scrolling list in tutorial.
8 - Range select (shift key) not working in fleet manager.
9) - Incorrectly disabled fleet manager repair button at own colony.
10) - Bug where some in game warning dialogs about moving STL were not centered in the screen.
11) - Mousewheel zooming in tech tree and star map at the same time.
12) - "Autosave" and "Autosave Endturn" filenames backwards.
13) - Locust nest world dying immediately when entering combat.
14) - Potential AI crash when assessing other players.

Changes

1) - Increases in durability of non-storm asteroids to make them more useful as 'cover'.
2) - Delimited command bonus from numerical superiority/ship to reduce "cheap destroyer" spamming.
3) - Allow player to observe encounters even if they have other combats queued up. (Other combats will then be auto-resolved.)
4) - Ship sections can now override default command point values by supplying "command_cost x" in their ship file.
5) - Adjusted turret arcs:
- Hiver Medium DP and Torpedo Platform.
- All DN War sections.
6) - smarter AI targeting during mass missiles launches.
7) - Zuul recieve one additional colony no matter what map settings are and recieve a free bore ships at every initial world.
8 - Build queue is now visible from the trade tab in empire summary.
9) - Tweaks to prevent AI from surrendering too early
10) - Ship sections can now specify which entity class the ship will be based on (chosen first come/first serve by section order: mission, command, then engine).

Additions

1) - new AI player names, badges and portraits to reflect characters and references from "The Deacons Tale".
2) - 1.5 new encounters
3) - hotkeys for toggling various display modes on the political map
screen.
4) - additional visual feedback to polygon targeting an enemy in combat.
5) - drag & drop multiple ships from side list into fleet manager.
6) - fleet and trade sector notes.
7) - species descriptions and data now available in gamestart lobby.
8 - flashing plague icons over top of infected colonies (in lists as well).
9) - option for custom star maps and a support system to broadcast the map to all players in an MP game. (along with example custom map in the Maps folder).

Note #1- There will be a 1.5 release demo released alongside the CE edition that will allow for humans, tark and liir play for a limited number of turns into the full cruiser and fusion era.

Note #2- Rorschach's Tutorial movie pack will be available as a free download and will auto integrate into the 1.5 general update AND the 1.5 Tutorial.

For more info look here:  Kerberos forum announcement thread
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 07:22:19 AM by Hamsterball_Z » Logged

(HBZ)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 03:11:11 PM »

Pardon my bad memory, but wasn't Kerberos the company that acted like assholes to the players and reviewers when the game came out?
Hamsterball_Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 03:56:14 PM »

Yep, that's them.  But they bit their tongues, started listening to the players and fixed the problems.  They've actually got a really good game here after the patches and expansion.

(HBZ)
XGC Mega
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 03:59:55 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 21, 2008, 03:11:11 PM

Pardon my bad memory, but wasn't Kerberos the company that acted like assholes to the players and reviewers when the game came out?

What did they do exactly?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 04:04:39 PM »

Quote from: Hamsterball_Z on May 21, 2008, 03:56:14 PM

Yep, that's them.  But they bit their tongues, started listening to the players and fixed the problems.  They've actually got a really good game here after the patches and expansion.

I'll have to check out the new demo, then.  I remember thinking the game looked really promising when it was in the works.
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 05:15:09 PM »

Hmm - I have have the original installed, but I never got around to playing it (let alone the BoB expansion).  I guess I'll check up the update and see what it's like.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 05:30:14 PM »

Quote from: XGC Mega on May 21, 2008, 03:59:55 PM

I didn't mean to rain on Hamster's thread with a bitter derail--I just couldn't remember if this was the company I thought it was since I couldn't pull up the old OO thread.  If you're curious, there's this Bill Harris post that sums up some of it, and this Kerberos forum thread with the CEO, Mecron, being an ass to someone with negative impressions of the demo.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 05:46:38 PM »

The music cd would be nice.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 09:43:22 PM »

how many pages is a 75,000 word novel exactly?
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 09:50:49 PM »

Quote from: XGC Mega on May 21, 2008, 03:59:55 PM

They (or rather an individual or two from Kerberos) acted like gamers or forum members. You can't do that. If someone says "Your product X is sh*t" or "Where are the friggin' repair ships with laser beams, you a$$H()les?" proper business etiquette is to respond, "Thank you for your input, sir."

Great game though. I'm likely to purchase the Collector's Edition.

To paraphrase Woody Allen, I realize when they called me "vermin fit only for extermination, it was said more out of pity than anger."

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 09:51:57 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 21, 2008, 09:43:22 PM

Depends on how many times the word "disestablishmentarianism" is used.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 10:02:45 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 21, 2008, 09:43:22 PM

The rough guideline is 250 words per page, so that'd make it a 300 page novel.
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 12:42:20 AM »

There are excerpts from the novel on the SotS forums. I'm tempted to pick it up just for the novel, and I already have the game and expansion.

I do wish they would go aheand and release the 1.5 patch for all the people that have already bought the game and supported them so far, though.
Hamsterball_Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 06:05:52 AM »

I think the patch and demo delays and shipping problems are on their publisher, Lighthouse.  Kerberos supposedly sent them the patch weeks ago yet nothing's been released.  There was an announcement on the Lighthouse website that they are being acquired by another company.  I would guess that that's causing some problems while the deal goes through.

There's also supposed to be a second expansion in the works.  Rumors of space stations and more diplomacy options have come up.  Should be interesting to see where they go with it.

(HBZ)
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 11:33:02 AM »

I remember the whole fiasco with Mecron and the team's attitude when the game was first released.  It was downright shameful in my opinion, and just horrendous community relations on their part.  With that out of the way, I do like the game.  It has come quite a long way from when it was first released, and they have added numerous things (some directly influenced by their fans) that have improved the overall product.  It took me (at minimum) 4 or 5 forays into the game before it clicked with me though.  I'm not sure why.  I still contend it's not all that deep of a game, but I still enjoy playing it from time to time.

I hope they continue to improve and expand upon it, that's for sure.  Good luck to them.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Hamsterball_Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 08:16:40 AM »

The demo has finally been released.  It's 338MB and games are limited to 150 turns.  It should give people a better idea of how much the game has improved over it's initial release.  Another good way to get a feel for the game is to watch the tutorial videos that Rorschach, who maintains the SotS Wiki, made for the game.  They're pretty good, good enough that Kerberos included them in the CE.  You can watch them here:  http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8117.

If anyone is interested in buying, Newegg has it for $24.99. Circuit City has it for the same price but it isn't available in stores yet.  I'm waiting for that, I'd still rather buy in a store if I can instead of buying online.

(HBZ)
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 02:14:26 PM »

I'm going to look for it in stores too. Although I've purchased online dl'd games before, I still like that physical copy just in case. What if Gamersgate went to the bottom of the briny depths just like OO?

Anyways, I'm looking forward to the expansion.

I'm still wishing for a sort of SOTS/SOASE/GALCIV lovechild - to be named "Alphabet Universe".

Thanks for the reminder!!

(Poor SEV! Not even a contender - except with me and even then...)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 07:27:38 PM by JohnathanStrange » Logged

Hamsterball_Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 02:49:02 PM »

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on May 28, 2008, 02:14:26 PM

I'm still wishing for a sort of SOTS/SOASE/GALCIV lovechild - to be named "Alphabet Universe".

GALOATSE?   icon_twisted

(Poor SEV! Not even a contender - except with me and even then...)

I should give it a try if the patches have fixed the bugs.  I'm not much of a strategy gamer though and I keep hearing how micromanagement heavy SEV can be.  I've gotten the impression its a sort of "fan's only" type of game.

(HBZ)
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 10:28:21 PM »

I haven't seen it yet at the Circuit City store in my area but it is listed for $25 online - and you know, crazy as it seems, I think that the novella will be a plus for me. I enjoyed the game and when I enjoy a game, I like having a narrative of mine own or someone else's to give the game a meaning. I'm not saying I get all caught up in it but it adds flavor.

Amazon is selling it for $28 with free shipping, and as you avoid tax and travel, that might make it worthwhile to buy from.

Target is supposedly going to have it (according to Amazon) but, iirc, at $30.

I don't mind buying the whole set again as I picked up SOTS for $8 at CCity so in total it's still a bargain.

(One good selling point: it's an EASY game to play - so you can play, win/lose lots more - far easier than SOASE or GalCiv2 which are probably "better" in many ways but I'm no purist. For games, I'm promiscuous.)

Hamsterball_Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 08:23:51 AM »

Circuit City's availability checker says it's in stock at my local store.  Time to do some shopping.   nod

(HBZ)
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 04:02:40 PM »

Meh, the community over that Kerberos has always been great to me, including Mecron. He has an acerbic wit, which gets some people riled up.

You have to admit though, those initial reviews of 4 out of 10 and 6 out of 10 were WAY lower for this sort of game. That Gal Civ II manual writer was nuts to give it a score that low. It is a great game, the more you play it, the better it gets. BoB really improved the entire system.

Bael
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 04:43:54 PM »

"That Gal Civ II manual writer" is of course a little more than just that, but I can appreciate people disagreeing with his reviews for whatever reasons, especially relatively low reviews of a game they like.  I'm still thinking about picking this up, myself - it all depends upon how much money is burning a hole in my pocket tomorrow, after work  thumbsup
Grifman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 10:57:08 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on June 05, 2008, 04:02:40 PM

Meh, the community over that Kerberos has always been great to me, including Mecron. He has an acerbic wit, which gets some people riled up.

You have to admit though, those initial reviews of 4 out of 10 and 6 out of 10 were WAY lower for this sort of game. That Gal Civ II manual writer was nuts to give it a score that low. It is a great game, the more you play it, the better it gets. BoB really improved the entire system.

Bael

I really have to say that I think this game is one that doesn't impress so much on first impressions.  But the more I've played it, the more I've come to love it.  I really is now (after the expansion which added a lot) my favorite 4X space game, dethroning MOO and GalCiv.  For me, it's that good.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 11:44:35 PM »

Quote from: Hamsterball_Z on June 03, 2008, 08:23:51 AM

Circuit City's availability checker says it's in stock at my local store.  Time to do some shopping.   nod
Have you seen it in store? The availability checker at cc .com did show it available but there was none to be had when I stopped by. Too bad.  icon_cry

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 11:57:46 PM »

I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow but when I get back I will hunt me down a copy hope Circuit City starts carrying it.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: