http://gamingtrend.com
September 24, 2014, 12:51:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sword of the Stars: A Murder of Crows Expansion Announced!  (Read 3515 times)
baelthazar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2008, 02:31:20 AM »

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=54767

Pretty darn neat stuff. These guys were the "colony trap" race from BoB. Best yet, release is set for September... NEXT MONTH!

I love SotS!

Bael
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 09:09:08 AM »

I am ordering this first day smile

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 09:21:58 AM »

Drones!!    icon_biggrin

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 09:43:26 AM »

eh, am I the only one reading that as "A Murder of Cows"??

anyways, I love 4x games, but have never been able to get into these games..maybe I should give it a whirl again...

anyone mind telling me what the difference is between this kind of game, and games like MAster of Orion kinda games?

A new one
Marik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on August 15, 2008, 09:21:58 AM

Drones!!    icon_biggrin

If I'm reading that correctly, it looks like they just added carriers to the game.  Awesome....
Marik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 11:22:55 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 15, 2008, 09:43:26 AM

eh, am I the only one reading that as "A Murder of Cows"??

anyways, I love 4x games, but have never been able to get into these games..maybe I should give it a whirl again...

anyone mind telling me what the difference is between this kind of game, and games like MAster of Orion kinda games?

A god awful learning curve, an intentionally obtuse UI (to simulate the command and control issues your empire slowly works out as it grows more used to space combat), and perhaps the best tactical fleet action ever.  The hard part with SoTS is that the amazing fleet combat only shows up a good half hour or more into the game.  Until you start getting some real options you're just hurling cheap destroyers at your opponent's horde of cheap destroyers and you may as well auto-resolve every battle.

Try it and stick with it though.  The game play gets much richer as you get into the game.  Apparently the designers wanted to make the game progress through stages, and for whatever their rationale, they decided the first stage should be more about groping around in the dark than anything else.  It's a huge turn off if you're used to games that give you lots of info and choices at first, but it works really well once you get used to the mechanics and have to plan how your empire will change as you progress into eras with faster logistics and more available information.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 11:54:26 AM »

Thanks a lot, Marik!! I'll try it out then, I love space 4x games... and this seems like a gem, if only I understood it!

A new one
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 02:41:39 PM »

One of your first areas of research should be battle computers to get the C&C Ship. No more stumbling in the dark after that. I disagree with the auto-resolve comment, some of the most fun combats are between Destroyers and other Destroyers. You can, with dedicated research and a little luck, have Cruiser tech around turn 20 (or even 15), if you want bigger battles.

SotS is ALL about ship combat. There is an empire building game (although I am not sure what the above means by intentionally obtuse) but the planet development is simple and serves only to provide more resources to build ships, upkeep ships, and research new techs to put on ships (or new techs to increase your economy to build new ships). They added some trade and diplomacy aspects in BoB. Trade is nice, but you will barely use diplomacy against the AI (much more useful in a multiplay). The AI gives no quarter and expects none (not entirely accurate, but the AI is aggressive).

It is a great game! It lacks the empire building aspects of Sins of a Solar Empire, but the tactical ship battle BLOW AWAY SoaSE.

Bael
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »

I ordered the Collector's Edition and it should come in today.  Can't wait to reinstall the game.  I should have a review out on it too smile

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 06:44:08 PM »

i can agree with the first half hour disappointment.  i had slowly expanded out from earth and had made some of the fleets pretty decent sized for that phase of the game but it was all very droll and boring.  build, assign, move, next turn, rinse repeat.  occasionally, a colony ship would land on a decent planet and i would name it.  unfortunately, my 2 year old hit the power button and killed my empire before i found any enemies to fight.

i really need to give this game a fair shake again.

Marik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 09:50:27 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on August 15, 2008, 02:41:39 PM

(although I am not sure what the above means by intentionally obtuse)

I was actually referring to the combat UI, since the strategic level is quite well done.  It's weird to play a game in 2008 that has no health bars, no ship-to-ship radar communication and doesn't really allow for weapon comparisons beyond "the power bar is bigger/smaller".  All the things we've come to expect from RTSs are actually technologies that slowly unlock a functional user interface.  You only get a usable tactical map halfway through the game.  Nor does the game go out of its way to point out useful things like how "S" brings your ships to full stop.  I think I figured that out on my eighth play through.  It's strange until you get used to it.

They created a pretty deep game but did their best to hide that from the player.  It ends up being all about firing arcs and counters to specific techs but the game doesn't tell you that, and most people quit before they figure that out.  It's like if CIV4's manual simply said "Have fun, build empire, good luck LOL" and the entire civlopedia was replaced by a single picture of Sid Meier giving the finger to the player.

I love the game, but Kerebos is borderline militant about not making things easy for new folks.

baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 11:14:18 PM »

Ah, that makes more sense then Marik (I thought you meant the empire GUI, and I was confused). Marik's point is VERY VERY valid. Now, I am a huge fan of SotS, rabid actually. And I also love the Kerberos guys and gal, they are fun, nice, and make awesome games. But Marik is 100% right, some of their answers on the forums read just a little like:
"You can't figure out that you need to broadside as the humans due to their firing arcs and good central armor (none of which are actually shown ingame by any bars or -pedia)?! Learn 2 play n00b!"

They really should just package the online SotS wiki as part of the game manual. There is a plethora of NECESSARY information over there about armor locations, ship speeds, weapon effects and damage numbers, and just general game mechanics that are not very well outlined in the manual.

The good part is, if you keep at it, you will get used to all of these features and you will see how excellent and deep the deceptively simple looking game really is. Under that veneer is a true wargamer's tactical 4X combat sim that simulates logistics, range, point defense, inertial physics, firing locations (your weapons try to target the exact point on the ship that you click on when targeting), etc. I have seen naval sims, trying to be serious simulations, not do such a detailed job.

The learning curve is steep. Many fans - like me - however, are very nice and will do their best to help others learn the game. Many of us have stuck with it since release, and it seems like a secret club until you actually keep going down that rabbit hole and get sucked in yourself.

Bael
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 11:27:41 PM »

My debate is whether to download this off of Impulse or wander out to Circuit City.  One is cheaper, but involves leaving and using gas.  The other doesn't have a novella and is more expensive... all my problems should be this type.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 01:02:10 AM »

Do they have SotS gold on Impulse, or do you have to pay $40 to get both regular and BoB? You can also get it off Gamersgate.com. No reason why this is better or worse than Impulse, other than aMoC is only going to release on Gamersgate (initially), and you will have them all three in one DD service.

Bael
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 05:26:42 AM »

No DRM, I like Stardock much more than gamersgate.  I'll get the expansion eventually.  Or not... too many games, not enough time.   icon_smile

Pikachu, I Blame you!
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 06:26:43 AM »

I will say that Amazon.com does have the gold version for something like $29.99. That means you get both and save $10. You also save a little on the gas, unless the shipping is too high!

Bael
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 06:27:40 AM »

Actually, I think the tactical battles are some of the worst there are, but the turn based elements and species concepts are great.  Overall it's the UI issues that bugged me along with the problems with the 3D map.

And, when I read the title to this topic, I thought that George R. R. Martin had licensed out a Game of Thrones game.  Tongue
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 01:52:16 PM »

And, it's finally here, AMOC is now released for download from Gamers Gate. I am downloading it as we speak. But I won't have a chance to play it until tonight.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 07:23:43 PM »

Going to order it from LIghthouse Interactive once it is released retail stores on the tenth of October.

greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2008, 10:49:52 AM »

Any impressions yet? How cool are the new techs?
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2008, 04:14:04 PM »

Well, I have put some limited time into this, but I can give some initial impressions.

If you thought vanilla game was hard, and BoB was a bit harder, then AMoC is just as challenging, if not even more so. The new techs, that I have gotten to (the tech tree is now giant and require a bit more forethought than before due to some clever reorganizing) are pretty neat.

Here is an example of how things have changed, for the better. There are now independent colonies belonging to different races scattered from place to place. These do not attack you and will go about peacefully (with no ships) until you take action. Now you can bomb them, hope they surrender, and then conquer them. OR, you could put some tech investment into learning their language (also works with the AI races), then accommodating them into your empire, and finally subjugating them with the Xeno-tech. This makes the language tree, formerly a bit weak, now a viable path to actually getting certain planets to surrender and join your empire. I was a bit confused though, because I had a Hiver world surrender, and I had the accommodation tech, yet their population was not showing up on my newly captured world. I still need to research this some more, however. You can now control the direction you terraform a colony, because you can have several races on one world and each race prefers different hazard levels. This will limit or expand the populations you can have. Also, population is now split into Imperial and Civilian. Planets tend to hold on while they have imperial population and their morale and likeliness to surrender will increase as that imperial population dies. This way, you need not raze every planet every time. You can also cull population to make more room for your race... a fiendish and awesome thing. Haven't played as Zuul yet, so they may have some other options connected to slavery. You will also note that there is an interesting Addict and Resist set of technologies that affect other races production and morale. Very interesting strategies...

Drones are cool, but not the end-all-be-all. Drone carriers are weak as tissue-paper and drones do only moderate damage in small numbers. You do get to pick the weapons of the drones, so yes... light emitter drones can be pretty darn cool.

The Morrigi are neat. The voice over sounds a bit Zuul-like, but unique enough to be noticeable. They tend to have weak ships but build quickly and have loads of rear firepower (for attacking during their fast retreat). Their drives work similar to Liir, only speedier as they have more ships (yikes, this could get nasty in the long term game with giant fleets going rather fast). I don't feel as passionately about them as I did the Zuul when they were introduced, but the Morrigi have a nice aesthetic and their tech tends to be useful. I haven't gotten very far with them yet, but they look like fast raiders with picky hazard ratings, fast and lightly armored ships with good fire arcs (and nice rear fire arcs for strategic retreats). Imagine loads of drones fitted with AP-Drivers rocking enemy ships as the carriers pelt enemies as they pull aways. Could be pretty nasty.

I would say, for hardcore SotS fans, you need to get this. Others, well, depends on your view of SotS. More options are almost always nice, and this expansion doesn't break the original system. The level of complexity has increased, however, and you can manage things a bit more closely than before. The UI is mostly the same, but now planets have little icons to indicate asteroid fields and the like.

So far, so good. I'll have more impressions as my amount of play increases.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 12:51:03 PM »

Played a bit more as the humans to see where things stand and to update my impressions:

Woah... independent colonies really change this game! If you run upon some of your own race, you end up getting a pretty much free colony with perfect hazard rating! Now these colonies are not immediately useful, as you have to wait until a significant amount of imperial population grows to run the colony (this is reflected in abysmal initial production numbers that grow over time). You might be able to send some colony ships to change this, but I'm not sure.

The other Xeno-tech technologies can be equally as useful. I focused on Tarkas tech, because I had several independent Tarkas around and one nearby AI that was Tarka. This lead to some immediate capitulation when my fleets entered Tarka planets! I went ahead and research up to the subjugate Tarka tech, and the planets tend to just give up rather than resist (like they used to, even with overwhelming odds). You can now actually demand surrender from a planet (and lead to auto battle or directed battle if they refuse). It works well, and these techs seem VERY powerful, once you invest in them. Remember though, they are expensive techs, so while you research these, your rivals will be researching similar things or more powerful drives/weapons/hulls.

Hee hee... rapid... fire... mass drivers...  icon_eek They seem to be pretty fun, if not a tad low in range. They are not uber weapons, but can certainly fill an area of space with bursts of mass driver shot. They act a bit like the dumbfire missiles. They swivel slowly, so their tracking isn't all that good (not too much of a problem for human ships with some of their front-fire cutting lasers). Damage seems adequate and they do rock the enemy ship like all other drivers. I don't think they can get an AP upgrade though, so no rapid-fire red balls of doom that I have seen yet.

Balancing races on planets is interesting. I have yet to really understand the best way to do this. It seems to me that it would pay off to leave the population alone and add in an imperial population of humans, balancing the hazard rating to work well with both (unless the planet was strategically valuable for some reason). Morale goes down by killing populations (well... duh) so you have to be careful. Police cutters help to keep the morale stable, and interesting new addition to the Destroyer line.

Well, that's all I have now. Back with more later.

Bael
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 01:35:43 PM »

Thank you Bael.

I am reading with great interest on this.  Please keep the impressions up when you have time.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 05:30:01 PM »

Can't wait till this is released via a boxed copy smile  Gonna have to import it but that will be no problem Werewolf

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2008, 08:37:29 PM »

Tell me there are carriers in this game?  I want more carriers and fighters!  (Or is mostly Honor Harrington style battleship fights?) 

I'm downloading this through Impulse now (as well as Born in Blood) in the hopes that Murder of Crows will be there soon.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2008, 09:44:56 PM »

The drone ship section option is open to all races I take it?

LD

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2008, 04:05:37 AM »

Looks like it...though, looking on the SotS wiki, it's only in AMOC, not in base or Born in Blood.

Still, played for a couple of hours.  Very disappointed in myself for giving this a pass based on the first short demo released.  I'm still a SINS fan...but this is a nice change of a pace, and has some interesting mechanics.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2008, 11:56:11 AM »

Yeah, Drone Ships (read carriers) were added with AMoC and not in the other two. I really haven't used them much, playing as the humans I just focused on raw firepower and xenotech. Basically I can fly to a planet, scare them into surrender, then move on. It's kinda nice, actually. I've been skipping a lot of battles, because my opponents were so far behind me. The fact that I found a lot of independent human colonies right off the bat, that joined me, really gave me a huge advantage. I can see this being a bit of a balancing point, I'm not sure the mechanics of how many of each race gets indepedent colonies showing up, but I would hope that it is equal for all of them. This makes scouting HUGELY important in the early game - as independent colonies of your own race will typically join you even if scouted by a simple ER and Tanker.

Bael
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2008, 12:05:19 PM »

Bael - Is there a slider for the frequency/tendancy of these ind. colonies showing up?  Can I make them a rare occurance if I wanted to, before the game started?

LD

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2008, 12:52:25 AM »

Interesting thing about using AMOC with the Stardock version of SotS:

http://forums.impulsedriven.com/326810

If you want to ny AMOC you need to make a simple registry fix for the Stardock version of SOTS-BON.

Run REGEDIT. Find  the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sword of the Star and change the InstallVer item to read "1.5.3" instead of "1.2.2".

ANOC will not install unless you make this change. Non-Stardock versions of BOB have the correct key.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2010, 08:46:47 PM »

I got SotS Ultimate on the Steam sale. After about 4 hours of it, I have mixed feelings.

On the plus side, the tech tree is pretty awesome. You can get backed into a corner if a tech isn't available, but it does force you to adapt. If Stardock ever creates Gal Civ 3, the first thing they need to do is steal that tech tree concept. Also, in another huge plus over Gal Civ 2, this game has personality. The voices get a bit annoying and the art assets are horribly campy, but it still has more of that old MOO2 zest than Gal Civ does. The battles look great and it's cool being able to control (well, somewhat - more on that later) your ships in combat. The planets look pretty awesome. Finally, the 3D map does add some tactical considerations not seen on a 2D game.

So there are a lot of pluses to SotS. But there are quite a few negatives. Note that while the negative section is longer, that's due to more explanation. At this point, I haven't made up my mind about SotS.

I feel like I'm constantly fighting the interface. I really struggle to get my ships to go where I want while in combat. I try to double-click on a ship and find I can't zoom in for some reason. In fact, there have been battles that I've had to watch from way, way, way away because the game seemingly wouldn't let me zoom in.

The 3D map view is disorientating and I'm struggling to orient myself to it. I'll be looking at a system that's close to another one, only to rotate the view and find I've been looking at a planet halfway across the galaxy. The fact that I can't put notes on it drives me nuts. I end up constantly clicking on explored worlds that have a really high terraform cost just trying to find worlds that I haven't yet explored.

I understand the faster-paced intent of this game, but I'm not sure how complicated it really gets. All I do every turn is build more ships because there's nothing else to do. I feel like I'm pushing little icons around on the map almost aimlessly.

Speaking of the map, the distances are driving me nuts. I can get to a system ok, but I can't turn around and go back? I seemingly can't increase my ship range, either and I couldn't go anywhere for quite some time (until I figured out the extended range ship bonus stacks). Why when I jump into a system with 3 ships are only 2 available for combat? Why, as humans, do I have paths (warp lanes?) to other planets, but they're still listed as out of range when I try to take them? Why was a human game created with only one path available (there were two others, but both had that out-of-range condition), but then that had a big asteroid monster in it, effectively cutting me off from doing ANY exploration?

I watched the tutorial videos and I saw the concept of reinforcements, but there must be some command and control concept that's not explained. Of course, I have the game via Steam and so I don't have a written manual. So I'm sure there are good answers to most or all of these questions, but I'm absolutely stumped. As it is, I really feel I'm stumbling around in the dark and it's starting to get a bit frustrating.

At this point, I'm not convinced of the long-term prospects of this game. On the one hand, it is a nice change-of-pace. On the other, if all I'm ever going to do is research new techs and spam ships as fast and as hard as my economy will allow, there's not a great deal of strategy involved. Or maybe there's a great game here and it just hasn't clicked yet.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Hamsterball_Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2010, 10:35:04 PM »

Yeah, the game has a pretty vertical learning curve and there isn't much in-game to help you with that.  Rorschach's wiki should help a lot, he's the one that made the tutorial videos.  Read the beginner's guide and know the hotkeys.  If you knew that Tab zoomed in and cycles though your ships (or E for enemies) you wouldn't have been watching the action from a distance.  I'm not sure that the keys are even in the manual.

Are you building tankers?  Tankers give you much greater range.  Send them with your fleets and they should solve your travel problems.

Best way to start the game is start small.  Pick the Disc map and reduce the star count as low as it will go.  Play Human or Tarkas and same for the other player (one or two).   Start yourself off with two or three planets so you're not waiting ten turns just to build one ship.  For exploration send one extended range and one tanker.  If they run out of fuel leave them at a planet as a listening post.  You may get a head's up if any enemy fleets pass by them.  For colonization send multiple colonizers.

It's going to take a few games to figure it out but there is much more to SotS than you've seen.

(HBZ)
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2010, 07:30:49 AM »

Quote from: Blackadar on January 02, 2010, 08:46:47 PM

I got SotS Ultimate on the Steam sale. After about 4 hours of it, I have mixed feelings.

On the plus side, the tech tree is pretty awesome. You can get backed into a corner if a tech isn't available, but it does force you to adapt. If Stardock ever creates Gal Civ 3, the first thing they need to do is steal that tech tree concept. Also, in another huge plus over Gal Civ 2, this game has personality. The voices get a bit annoying and the art assets are horribly campy, but it still has more of that old MOO2 zest than Gal Civ does. The battles look great and it's cool being able to control (well, somewhat - more on that later) your ships in combat. The planets look pretty awesome. Finally, the 3D map does add some tactical considerations not seen on a 2D game.

So there are a lot of pluses to SotS. But there are quite a few negatives. Note that while the negative section is longer, that's due to more explanation. At this point, I haven't made up my mind about SotS.

I feel like I'm constantly fighting the interface. I really struggle to get my ships to go where I want while in combat. I try to double-click on a ship and find I can't zoom in for some reason. In fact, there have been battles that I've had to watch from way, way, way away because the game seemingly wouldn't let me zoom in.

The 3D map view is disorientating and I'm struggling to orient myself to it. I'll be looking at a system that's close to another one, only to rotate the view and find I've been looking at a planet halfway across the galaxy. The fact that I can't put notes on it drives me nuts. I end up constantly clicking on explored worlds that have a really high terraform cost just trying to find worlds that I haven't yet explored.

I understand the faster-paced intent of this game, but I'm not sure how complicated it really gets. All I do every turn is build more ships because there's nothing else to do. I feel like I'm pushing little icons around on the map almost aimlessly.

Speaking of the map, the distances are driving me nuts. I can get to a system ok, but I can't turn around and go back? I seemingly can't increase my ship range, either and I couldn't go anywhere for quite some time (until I figured out the extended range ship bonus stacks). Why when I jump into a system with 3 ships are only 2 available for combat? Why, as humans, do I have paths (warp lanes?) to other planets, but they're still listed as out of range when I try to take them? Why was a human game created with only one path available (there were two others, but both had that out-of-range condition), but then that had a big asteroid monster in it, effectively cutting me off from doing ANY exploration?

I watched the tutorial videos and I saw the concept of reinforcements, but there must be some command and control concept that's not explained. Of course, I have the game via Steam and so I don't have a written manual. So I'm sure there are good answers to most or all of these questions, but I'm absolutely stumped. As it is, I really feel I'm stumbling around in the dark and it's starting to get a bit frustrating.

At this point, I'm not convinced of the long-term prospects of this game. On the one hand, it is a nice change-of-pace. On the other, if all I'm ever going to do is research new techs and spam ships as fast and as hard as my economy will allow, there's not a great deal of strategy involved. Or maybe there's a great game here and it just hasn't clicked yet.

I think all your complaints are valid, and I also just recently started playing the game.  Despite those issues, though, I'm pretty engrossed by the gameplay.  Maybe it's because it's been awhile since I played a 4X space game and I have no immediate and fresh comparisons to make.  Instead I just accept those "issues" and realize some of them are probably things I'm just not used to (like having a actual 3D star map in one of these games) or not understanding rules.

And I do think it's kind of bad form for a game of this type to complain about it before you've bothered to RTFM.   icon_wink

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: