http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 05:37:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sword of the Stars 2: Lords of Winter  (Read 2186 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2010, 03:24:33 AM »

press release.  this one sounds interesting:

Commander: Conquest of the Americas combines the best elements of trading and strategy games. Set in the 16th century, players will take charge of a wide variety of European nations in efforts to conquer the New World. With as many as 30 ships to control and varied environments (from the Caribbean to the Hudson Bay), players have much to look forward to when the game is released Q3 2010.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 11:52:48 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 01:14:11 AM »

Here is a very interesting video where the producer presents SOTS2

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/2615/Sword+of+the+Stars+II+presentation/
(dont use adblock or it wont show)

Only concept art but it looks like they are moving to a more "realistic" look which I like. The Leviathan size ship sounds awesome. Apparently it makes the Drednought look small smile. Apparently Destroyers lose their FTL ability and have to be put into carriers to transport.

What impressed me most, was the way they choose to move everything forward rather than just improving graphics etc. Now you are manageing an already existing empire and trying to move forward from that point.

Pity we have to wait 1 year for this.

These guys really understands Space Opera, no doubt about that.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 01:17:04 AM by marcusjm » Logged

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 03:26:59 AM »

Very interesting news. I like their idea of not simply having us begin, yet again, in a solar system rush situation but of controlling established empires (or something of that sort). The change in combat focus also looks intriguing, if I understood correctly they intend a sort of change from having ships slug it out to having long-distance fighter style battles: sort of like going from WW1 to WW2 naval combat.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 04:20:54 AM »

I could use a Star Control 4 or a Starflight 3.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 11:46:59 AM »

I think Space Rangers 2 comes pretty close to those though.

Btw, they are still working on their Traveller style RPG, I hope they get to finish it but not
before this baby is out, it's instant buy for me. They deserved that after the fanatical support they have given for number 1, which is fun given the bashing they got from qt3 at start smile.

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 06:33:14 PM »

here's some images.  looks like mainly models and renders.

Because I can,
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 07:58:27 PM »

Very cool. SOTS is one of those games that is always in the wings to eat up some time. Provided they can deliver (and since SOTS really appears to be a labor of love for Kerberos) this will be a day 1 purchase.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 03:26:18 PM »

SotS2 teaser.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 08:22:07 AM »

video look at the game.

Because I can,
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 01:27:33 PM »

Really hoping my old computer will be able to run this, even if only at low graphics. Otherwise I may need to discover if I can in fact do without a kidney.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 11:59:27 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on May 27, 2011, 01:27:33 PM

Really hoping my old computer will be able to run this, even if only at low graphics. Otherwise I may need to discover if I can in fact do without a kidney.

Mine, sadly, will probably not. Gonna have to push for that new desktop in December!
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 12:54:40 PM »

Didn't see it mentioned.... is there a release date set yet for SoTS2?
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 01:57:29 PM »

Quote from: greeneggsnham on May 28, 2011, 12:54:40 PM

Didn't see it mentioned.... is there a release date set yet for SoTS2?

The Kerberos site shows September 2011.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 10:18:26 AM »

new trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvpada4dWM4&feature=player_embedded

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 08:43:05 PM »

Sowrd of Stars 2 opening cinematic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up3OpdYvtKw&feature=player_embedded

Because I can,
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 11:25:02 PM »

Sounds like the voice of the guy that did the 'Born of Blood' intro - which I liked better.

I'm getting the game though - loved SotS once I got past the cringe-worthy interface. 

Since it seems I'm never getting Homeworld 3 - what choice do I really have?  IN!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 11:54:20 PM »

well, this is out today.  I was tempted to grab the first game's complete collection but held off for impressions of the sequel.

Because I can,
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 01:22:01 AM »

Here's my impressions: total disaster of a launch.  I actually don't own the game but apparently they released a beta version on Steam and so what people have at the moment is a two week old build with the promise of an update coming later tonight to fix it.

Fun!

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 02:31:38 AM »

Confirmed, however as yet no "official" response on the game forums (that I saw, anyway). The steam build is an old beta version. Not sure on the GG version, but since I purchased it on Steam... bleh. Kinda sucks. I was hoping to give it a go. The little bit that works is pretty cool, and promising for the full version, but my steam copy keeps crashing.

Hopefully it will be resolved soon.
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 04:49:46 AM »

Now downloading an update via Steam, will see if this is the 'real' release.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 06:42:50 AM »

Quote from: greeneggsnham on October 29, 2011, 04:49:46 AM

Now downloading an update via Steam, will see if this is the 'real' release.

From what I've heard its a different release but not anywhere near as much of an improvement as it should be.  As in a lot of the same issues, bugs, crashes, etc.

- American Dad
Hyperion
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2011, 07:06:01 AM »

Just played an hour or so of the "updated" version and my advice to anyone fence-sitting on this is to avoid.  This game is still in a majorly incomplete-unpolished state.  I would rate it in a more incomplete state than Elemental was at launch.

Hopefully they attempt to salvage their title, there does appear to be some cool concepts in this mess, but the game is painful to play.  My impression of the game right now is reminding my an awful lot of MOO3.

We will see what happens, but I have the sinking feeling that they may be cutting their losses by releasing the game as it is.
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2011, 10:10:38 AM »

Thanks Hyperion.  I struggled to get into the first one so this one will be a definite pass for me.

Edit - Hyperion, did you get it from Steam?  I read at The Wargamer forums that Steam actually released an early beta version instead of the launch version.  Then again the sentiment over there does echo yours.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 11:04:50 AM by Elmo » Logged

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2011, 11:29:01 AM »

Quote from: Elmo on October 29, 2011, 10:10:38 AM

Thanks Hyperion.  I struggled to get into the first one so this one will be a definite pass for me.

Edit - Hyperion, did you get it from Steam?  I read at The Wargamer forums that Steam actually released an early beta version instead of the launch version.  Then again the sentiment over there does echo yours.

Steam got a beta version and then the "real" release was launched and patched through Steam.  But the real one is essentially the same release with some of the buggy stuff disabled (you know, like the frickin' options screen) and the DLC.  We're talking Elemental/MOO 3 level of bugs...the general consensus is stay far, far away.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2011, 01:24:29 PM »

I pre-ordered it, and finished downloading the updated version this morning. My first impressions are: WTF Kerberos, how could you ship the game in this state?!

Some issues I've noticed:
Default ship class names aren't sensible like the first one (ie, CnC, Armor, Colonizer), they're faction specific names (ie Pained Action, Silence) that don't tell you what the ship does.
Added bonuses to 1)
The build screen doesn't actually tell you what sections are in the ship, it shows them, but doesn't list them by name.
When designing a ship, you have the option to add modules to further customize the sections. Unfortunately, the modules also have fluff names that may suggest (ie, Camel seems like ER) but don't really tell you for sure what the module is.
Not enough tool tips
Instead of moving ships around, you assign missions to fleets, unfortunately, I have yet to figure out how to cancel a mission, this is important as colonizers are no longer one use, they shuttle back and forth between their homeport and the world you are colonizing to keep bringing more colonists. Great, but I want to start colonizing another world with said fleet. Oops.
The forced? fleet mechanic. I haven't figured out how (if it's even possible) to send out a swarm of individual scout ships, from what I can tell, all ships must be part of a fleet, which requires a CnC ship, and an admiral, of which you seem to have a limited number per planet.
The shortest research project at start of game was 8 turns, a bit absurd compared to SotS1, especially given that the default start is 3 colonies. Admittedly, you start with fusion and some basic techs such as UV Lasers, Polysilicates, Waldo Units, Environmental Tailoring.
The economy seems a bit imbalanced, you don't (seem to) have the budget to start churning out exploration ships at the start since the smallest ship class is cruiser.
Combats between the AI are simulated during end turn, leaving you to stare at a black screen with the portraits of the combattants at the bottom while you wait. (A little bit nitpicky, but seriously, a black screen. Give me something to stare at)
General UI sluggishness and clunkiness (not being able to right mouse + drag left/right to scroll around the tech tree, a couple of seconds lag between closing the research screen and getting back to the starmap, removing lists of explored systems, fleets, and colonies from the empire management screen, etc)
No cinematics
No tutorial

In general, it feels like a VERY early beta, or possibly an alpha build.

However, it is Kerberos, and they kept updating and patching SotS 1, so I believe that they will, eventually, get SotS II up to par. But in the meanwhile, I think I'll play something else.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Hyperion
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2011, 06:00:39 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on October 29, 2011, 11:29:01 AM

Quote from: Elmo on October 29, 2011, 10:10:38 AM

Edit - Hyperion, did you get it from Steam?  I read at The Wargamer forums that Steam actually released an early beta version instead of the launch version.  Then again the sentiment over there does echo yours.

Steam got a beta version and then the "real" release was launched and patched through Steam.  But the real one is essentially the same release with some of the buggy stuff disabled (you know, like the frickin' options screen) and the DLC.  We're talking Elemental/MOO 3 level of bugs...the general consensus is stay far, far away.

Sorry I forget to mention, yes I was playing with the patched version.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2011, 06:58:44 PM »

Paradox (the publisher) says they will offer refunds and a lot of people got refunds from Steam for Rage, so there is a chance there as well if you want to go that route.

It sounds like they may have pushed this out the door to make sure it got on Steam for the holidays.  Thats the speculation elsewhere, anyway.   Maybe it will be on sale for the Steam XMas sale; at any rate we should have a better idea of what can/will be fixed by then. 

So glad I didn't buy this - for once being too poor to buy all the games I'm interested in paid off!  icon_wink

- American Dad
Hyperion
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2011, 09:15:36 PM »

Here is the website for the Kerberos employee that I believe wrote the novels and most the fiction for the game.  Sounds like the company is in a sorry state, we will see if they continue to support in the coming weeks/months.

http://arinndembo.com/?p=743

I hope they do, the underpinnings of the game are there, and if completed I can see how it could possibly be really, really good.
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2011, 10:58:03 PM »

To confirm, yes, this is not the state software should be in if you're charging for it. It's a beta, pure and simple. A lot of stuff is obviously not linked in, a lot of stuff is absent. Manual is a joke.

At this point I really feel screwed. I wanted to support Kerberos, so I went ahead and got the game. At this point, though, I'm out 40 bucks for a beta that might never be finished. Maybe they have been having some money/employee issues, but at this point, honestly, that just makes me feel more screwed. You've used the goodwill of your fans to make your payday.

The game shows potential, but at this point that's all I can say about it. Until they resolve this mess, no one else should purchase it. And unfortunately for Kerberos and Paradox, they have to weather the shitstorm this release is going to do to both their reputations.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2011, 11:34:28 PM »

Quote from: greeneggsnham on October 29, 2011, 10:58:03 PM

To confirm, yes, this is not the state software should be in if you're charging for it. It's a beta, pure and simple. A lot of stuff is obviously not linked in, a lot of stuff is absent. Manual is a joke.

At this point I really feel screwed. I wanted to support Kerberos, so I went ahead and got the game. At this point, though, I'm out 40 bucks for a beta that might never be finished. Maybe they have been having some money/employee issues, but at this point, honestly, that just makes me feel more screwed. You've used the goodwill of your fans to make your payday.

The game shows potential, but at this point that's all I can say about it. Until they resolve this mess, no one else should purchase it. And unfortunately for Kerberos and Paradox, they have to weather the shitstorm this release is going to do to both their reputations.

This mirrors my sentiments exactly.  (only I would have used a few colorful curse words here and there.)

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2011, 12:59:21 PM »

Admitting you have a problem is the first step:

State of the Game

Hello all, there has been problems with the Sword of the Stars 2 release and for this we apologize. This should have been handled in a much more professional way from both us and the developer.

There has been version problems on Steam, and we are working on updating this version 24x7 from both the development and publishing team. Patching is in process for all known errors.

I can personally guarantee we will work on the game until it works as it should be, and in the meantime all I can say is that we should have done this better. Our sincere apologies.

Expect a response and status update from the developer as soon as they are ready with more information (which should be soon). Thanks for your patience.

---
    Fred Wester
    CEO Paradox Interactive

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2011, 01:29:56 PM »

From what I've heard, they can't do that.  They ran out of money due to numerous prior delays and had to get it to market to survive.  If they can't sell it, they're done.

That doesn't excuse a damn thing, but it explains a whole lot.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2011, 08:54:48 PM »

On the bright side, patch #2 came out today with a decently sized changelog.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Darkstar One
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2011, 01:55:52 AM »

Then they should be done.  It's generous to call this a beta.  Saw it at my brother's house last night, and thank God I didn't pull the trigger and pre-order myself.

Quote from: Blackadar on October 31, 2011, 01:29:56 PM

From what I've heard, they can't do that.  They ran out of money due to numerous prior delays and had to get it to market to survive.  If they can't sell it, they're done.

That doesn't excuse a damn thing, but it explains a whole lot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: