http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 06:57:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sweeeep the leg, JOHNNY! The MLB 08: The Show uberthread  (Read 15982 times)
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2008, 01:57:31 AM »

OK - With work, sickness and a ton of other lame-ass excuses, I haven't been able to check in nearly as much as I's like, BUT...

Nice work, Ron. Gives us a good sense of just how much things are moving further in the right direction.

And

I will download, or buy, some Celine (God I hate her) for the league, if only for the joy it will bring to hear her belting out some very crappy song as Vlad launches one off Oswalt or Lackey mows down Tejada.

EYE-EN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2008, 01:46:54 PM »

Demo for PS3 & PSP THIS THURSDAY!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2008, 02:01:00 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on February 13, 2008, 01:46:54 PM

Demo for PS3 & PSP THIS THURSDAY!

YES !!!!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
depward

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2008, 03:07:48 PM »

Holy shit, awesome!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2008, 03:39:24 PM »

I purchased a PS3 just for this game.... I cannot wait....

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2008, 03:51:08 PM »

i'm definitely preordering this bad boy......freakin pumped!!

anyone know of any good preorder deals yet?

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2008, 11:37:27 PM »

I'm not that big of a baseball fan but I'm looking forward to playing the demo.  It's Thursday in Japan already-can I download it? smile
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2008, 12:51:37 PM »

If any of you guys get this demo early, do you mind posting some quick thoughts. 

I'm at work, and then after I'm out all night with my brother; but I'd love to hear some early thoughts.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
depward

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2008, 04:43:33 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 14, 2008, 12:51:37 PM

If any of you guys get this demo early, do you mind posting some quick thoughts. 

I'm at work, and then after I'm out all night with my brother; but I'd love to hear some early thoughts.

I have my PSP ready to hop on the PS Store when it's updated to start downloading.  Though, since it's Valentine's Day and my fiancee told me, "No gaming / TV time", yeaaaah may have to wait til tomorrow   icon_biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2008, 06:57:18 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 14, 2008, 12:51:37 PM

Sounds romantic.

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2008, 07:55:37 PM »

It's not up yet.  thumbsdown

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2008, 02:46:50 AM »

Firstly, it's still The Show.  There hasn't been any drastic overhauls of the engine, we see some of the same cutscenes featured in last years game (although they did some cool effect where they dampen the crowd, focus on the sound effects, and bring them back in very subtly as the highlight ends), you'll hear some of the same commentary (in which some sounds mono...The Show has never had that problem, I say they limited it for the demo) and I'm still not digging how they handle the clumps of dirt.

The animations this year are incredible.  Last year featured some awesome stuff, but man, this year, we're seeing players react to balls that are short-hopping to them in the outfield, first-base coaches ducking for their lives, and, as always, the game handles diving real well.

But the graphics are obviously where you'll see the biggest upgrade.  And what a little lighting can do!  Honestly, look a little past your tv, maybe into another room, and you will see a game that looks real.  From the crowd (and how awesome is it that they all go up for foul balls and stuff?) noise, to how smooth the game runs and plays....

Per usual, I dig playing The Show with the whole guess pitch stuff off.  And classic baserunning on.  I'm glad they kept classic baserunning.

The rumble is hawt as well.  You'll get a little the further you put your ball away from the strike zone (pre-pitch), and it'll rumble if you're the batter and in a stressful situation, or the pitcher biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2008, 02:49:27 AM »

Oh, and the opposing pitcher is absolutely brutal on All-Star.  BRUUUTAL.  If you start swinging at junk outside of the strike zone, he'll keep throwing you crap until you can hold off ;D

TheMissingLink on PSN
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2008, 04:29:17 AM »

Oh, and the opposing pitcher is absolutely brutal on All-Star.  BRUUUTAL.  If you start swinging at junk outside of the strike zone, he'll keep throwing you crap until you can hold off

Bad news for me!!  crybaby

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2008, 11:05:42 AM »

Hahahaha!  I foresee many a Vlad strikeout in your future, Devil.  (For those who don't know, Devil swings at everything, and I mean everything!)

I ended up getting a chance to play very late.  I echo TML's thoughts 100%.  I'll add a few things as well. 

First, the new guess pitch is leaps and bounds better than the old one.  I don't play guess pitch type, but I do like the pitch location part.  In 08', they improved it so it does NOT show you if the ball will be in or out of the strikezone anymore.  It simply gives you a tiny indicator if you guessed the general correct zone the ball will be thrown to.  I like this much, much better.  (of course, it makes batting a tad more difficult, as you don't get freebie calls).

I played an extended-inning game (I think 5 innings before Ortiz hit one out) that showed off a few things.  First, the foul balls hit have been increased, which greatly helps pitch counts get to where they need to be.  Second, the computer was fouling off all my cheap stuff and waiting for a ball they could really hit.  I can't tell you how important something small like that is to me.  Love that.  Third, the new pitcher/batter interface analysis tool is done really well.  There are numerous ways to sort the data in order to see different types of tendencies.  Way, way too many to even try to talk about here.  It's very impressive without being overwhelming.

I also am very happy they included classic baserunning as I find it very intuitive, whereas the new style just confuses the heck out of me.  They have also added some new sliders that I am extremely stoked about  (although to give SCEA it's due - let me say very little will probably need to be adjusted at all).  But two new ones specifically come to mind.  First is a slider for foul balls hit.  If you are having trouble getting pitch counts up for some reason, this could be your ticket.  I understand why all baseball games leave foul balls unrealistically low - it can get boring in an arcade baseball game.  But for those who actually like the realism, this is a great slider.  The second really cool slider has to do with hit-zone timing.  I'm going to guess that if a player wants more precise control over the difficulty of the game from a batting standpoint, he could adjust this slider to either make things more difficult or easier, depending on his desires.  Just a very cool idea.

Now I have to go find me some rumble ps3 controllers - as the game is due out in like 3 weeks or less I think.   icon_biggrin

LD

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2008, 12:02:05 PM »

I think I can hook anybody up with rumble controllers if they want-I'm not sure if they'll be out in the US before this game hits.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2008, 09:18:35 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 15, 2008, 12:02:05 PM

I think I can hook anybody up with rumble controllers if they want-I'm not sure if they'll be out in the US before this game hits.

so how can you hook me up?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2008, 09:23:34 PM »

Yeah what's the best way to get a rumble controller?  I've recently decided I must have one asap.

gellar
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2008, 10:24:11 PM »

I ordered mine from play-asia.com for 55 bucks

very slow shipping (if you choose the cheapest option), but I love my rumble DualShock 3 now!
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2008, 10:43:49 PM »

I've gotten controllers for Xmann, Destructor and Kevin Grey.  $60 shipped.  Regular mail takes about a week-not sure how long it took you, KePow.  Of course I haven't checked the stores lately-last time they were completely sold out but that's when they were first released and that was more than a couple of months ago.
Send me a PM if you're interested.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2008, 10:45:26 PM »

Quote from: The_Man on February 15, 2008, 09:18:35 PM

Quote from: Canuck on February 15, 2008, 12:02:05 PM

so how can you hook me up?

I live in Japan-you might not know that because Darkstar One stole my avatar  mad mad mad mad (That's why Maruko-chan and I are so angry).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 10:48:17 PM by Canuck » Logged
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2008, 10:45:57 PM »

Cool - PM sent.

gellar
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2008, 10:46:51 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 15, 2008, 10:43:49 PM

I've gotten controllers for Xmann, Destructor and Kevin Grey.  $60 shipped.  Regular mail takes about a week-not sure how long it took you, KePow

took about a week and a half...10 shipping days
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2008, 03:43:22 AM »

Played the demo and it's all the things I've come to expect. It was great and now it looks pretty damn amazing too. Hit variety is always great. I'm even OK with the stupid throwing meter.

Nuckster - I might hit you up for one of those controllers. Do they make white ones? Thanks!

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2008, 04:15:45 AM »

Nice looking and fun to play.  For a baseball game  icon_wink  I love the pitching meter and the batting is fun even if I swing at everything!  My favorite thing that I have noticed so far is how the crowd reacts to foul balls by trying to catch them... awesome!

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2008, 04:34:42 AM »

Quote from: Devil on February 16, 2008, 03:43:22 AM

Played the demo and it's all the things I've come to expect. It was great and now it looks pretty damn amazing too. Hit variety is always great. I'm even OK with the stupid throwing meter.

Nuckster - I might hit you up for one of those controllers. Do they make white ones? Thanks!

Yes
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2008, 04:37:45 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 15, 2008, 10:43:49 PM

I've gotten controllers for Xmann, Destructor and Kevin Grey.  $60 shipped.  Regular mail takes about a week-not sure how long it took you, KePow.  Of course I haven't checked the stores lately-last time they were completely sold out but that's when they were first released and that was more than a couple of months ago.
Send me a PM if you're interested.

I'll totally vouch for Canuck on this.  Great transaction and I had the DualShock 3 in about a week. 
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2008, 06:11:12 AM »

Canuck,
             I sent you a PM about one of the Dual Shock 3s.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2008, 01:07:41 PM »

yep, got me a white one a few weeks back.   pm sent, i'd be in for a silver if you can find one.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2008, 03:32:34 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on February 16, 2008, 04:15:45 AM

Nice looking and fun to play.  For a baseball game  icon_wink  I love the pitching meter and the batting is fun even if I swing at everything!  My favorite thing that I have noticed so far is how the crowd reacts to foul balls by trying to catch them... awesome!

I loved the occasional beach ball that would bounce around the crowd as well - all the little details like that are adding up to make one helluva game!  Just release it already!

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2008, 04:59:27 PM »

I have played many, many more "mini-games" over the past 2 days.  Unless something goes seriously wrong, I can't imagine this game not getting some pretty kick-ass review scores.  From numerous gameplay standpoints, it is crazy good. 

If I read any more "almost as good as MVP '05 or High Heat 03/04" comments on these various websites and forums I go to, I'm just going to start laughing at people.     

LD

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2008, 05:15:46 PM »

Yeah, I really love it....I've seen some great hit variance.  Haven't managed to smack a tater yet :/

HOWEVER, guys, the PSP version this year is amazing, as well.  It is leaps and bounds above MLB 07, I don't know how they did it.  Give the PSP demo a whirl if you've got the chance.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2008, 05:57:47 PM »

Thanks.  I have to tell my brother about the psp demo, as he LOVED '07 on the psp.

Someone on Youtube did a comparison video between The Show '08 and 2ksports MLB 2k8.  (both early builds of the game obviously)

Since I think we have some people at GT that might still prefer 2k's game, here is a chance to see them sorta' together.  The video quality is pretty average, but you can at least get to see pitching, batting, animations, etc...

I like when people take the time to do things like this.  If you have any interest in watching it:  LINK

Note to Devil:  It looks like 2kSports got some Street Fighter II in their game this year with those crazy right thumbstick pitching motions.  I'm curious what your thoughts are on that.   slywink

LD

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2008, 06:56:55 PM »

Good game. Will likely buy and I don't even particularly care for baseball.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2008, 07:11:43 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 16, 2008, 04:59:27 PM

I have played many, many more "mini-games" over the past 2 days.  Unless something goes seriously wrong, I can't imagine this game not getting some pretty kick-ass review scores.  From numerous gameplay standpoints, it is crazy good. 

If I read any more "almost as good as MVP '05 or High Heat 03/04" comments on these various websites and forums I go to, I'm just going to start laughing at people.     

MVP '05 is my favorite baseball game of all time and this feels very close to if not better than that.  I'm pretty impressed by it, but I still can't see myself purchasing it due to the fact that I can't sit through 9 innings.  Didn't someone mention a save feature though?

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2008, 09:11:55 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on February 16, 2008, 07:11:43 PM

Quote from: Lockdown on February 16, 2008, 04:59:27 PM

MVP '05 is my favorite baseball game of all time and this feels very close to if not better than that.  I'm pretty impressed by it, but I still can't see myself purchasing it due to the fact that I can't sit through 9 innings.  Didn't someone mention a save feature though?

Saw it somwhere there are mid game saves now.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2008, 10:29:27 PM »

Just got my PS3 and with no games purchased, this was the first thing i downloaded.  Excellent demo.  I know for sure now that I'm getting this game.  One question, does it have all the minor league affiliates too?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2008, 10:34:12 PM »

Quote from: StitchJones on February 17, 2008, 10:29:27 PM

Just got my PS3 and with no games purchased, this was the first thing i downloaded.  Excellent demo.  I know for sure now that I'm getting this game.  One question, does it have all the minor league affiliates too?

Yep.

gellar
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2008, 01:56:29 AM »

2007 had all the minor league affiliations along with their stadiums and you could even play their season, so I can't imagine 2008 won't have the same feature.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2008, 03:43:48 AM »

I played the demo this morning.  There are so many little things that this game does right.  The way the middle infielders creep when the pitch is being made.  The way the pitcher turns toward the infield ready to throw after covering on a ground ball to first.  The amazing variety of foul balls.  I could go on and on.  It is clear that these developers know and love baseball.  I am so close to buying it.  I just know I would never play enough to justify it. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: