http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 08:31:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sweeeep the leg, JOHNNY! The MLB 08: The Show uberthread  (Read 16028 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2008, 07:30:40 AM »

I loved last year's version, and it only looks to be better this year.  Check out some of this gameplay footage, and tell me it doesn't make your jaw drop.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29720.html?type=wmv

Derek Jeter is amazingly realistic-looking.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29718.html

Check out the creases and the way their jerseys move.

The lighting and depth of field really just makes this year's version of The Show look outstanding. 

http://i7.tinypic.com/6qdutfn.jpg

http://i9.tinypic.com/89j8yae.jpg

Just check out this crazy list of features packed into this year's edition:

• Road to The Show 2.0 – To deliver the closest experience possible, next to actually trying to make it in the Majors, MLB 08 THE SHOW introduces a more immersive Road to The Show mode. As gamers attempt to make a starting line-up in the Big Leagues, playing on both offense and defense from a custom-created player’s perspective, a more robust dynamic goal system and a new career advancement system will determine when a player is eligible for a promotion. Now, advancement goals related to the player’s attribute target level will be provided to get the player to that next level and those goals are based on the player’s attribute level and statistical performance. Also, Road to The Show 2.0 adds a new statistics screen that will display a player’s current seasons’ statistics. Additionally, custom-created players are more interactive. As a position player, gamers will be able to further adjust that players positioning, catchers will occur more defense situations, and pitcher’s will now experience mound visits with user interaction – all making Road to The Show mode even more realistic.

• Progressive Batting Performance – Progressive Batting Performance is a feature designed to both reward players for superior performance and penalizes them for hitting slumps. Specific to each individual batter, the players will be rewarded with slight contact bonuses for each batter that performs beyond his “natural ability” while under user control. Conversely, the user will be punished with slight decreases in contact for each batter that performs below his “natural ability”.

• Replay Vault – With the new Replay Vault, gamers can now go back to that spectacular diving, behind the back double play from the first inning and show their friends. Replays are available from any part of the game from any inning within that game.

• Post Game/In Game Pitcher and Batter Analysis – Stats and match-up analysis’ are a baseball fan’s dream! The Pitch Analysis is a breakdown of all the pitches thrown during the current game being played. Gamers will be able sort by pitcher, LHB or RHB, Pitch type and result. This feature is also available for Batters, and the batter analysis allows for a breakdown of how a batter has performed based on LHP or RHP, Pitch Type and the result.

• Pitch Grips – Adding ore authenticity, MLB 08 THE SHOW details the different pitch grips and arm angles that a pitcher has when throwing each pitch. Showing these details in Replay Mode will further enhance the look of the game. 18 different pitch types total! (Four-Seam Fastball, Two-Seam Fastball, Cut Fastball, Split-Fingered Fastball, Curveball, Slider, Sinker, Slurve, Change-Up, Circle Change, Knuckleball, Palmball, Forkball, Knuckle-Curve, Screwball, 10-4 Curve, 12-6 Curve & Gyro).

• Crowd Interaction – With the power of the PS3, the MLB franchise is set introduce subtle elements of baseball that, quite simply, couldn’t be done on another platform. A big part of baseball is in the ambiance of the game – having realistic stadiums is mandatory, but the crowd also plays a big part in the overall atmosphere. Gamers will see a vast array of new ambient elements including: fans coming, going and reaching for foul balls, vendors, 7th inning stretch, the wave, standing ovations, dynamic crown actions like hanging K’s, and much, much more. These new subtleties make MLB 08 THE SHOW truly feel like a day at the ballpark.

• MLB My Music – Ever wanted to make your own video game soundtrack? With MLB 08 THE SHOW for the PS3 and PSP® gamers will be able to take the music that they have stored on their PS3 HDD and add to the list of music played in the Juke Box.

• SCOUT [SportsConnect Online User Tracking] – If you’ve ever had a difficult time finding an opponent that wants to play online with the same gameplay setting as you, this is your feature. SCOUT allows gamers to set their game preferences, stores them on the server, and then allows the system to look for a Quick Match with an opponent that fits their criteria.

• In-Game MLB Live Scores – Using our new top of the screen Score Bar display, gamers will get updates on what is going on in the Majors. Along with scores and inning, gamers will also see notables, such as HR’s, complete games, etc.

• Online League Play – MLB 08 THE SHOW provides today’s sports fanatics with the ability to set up leagues with anywhere from 6-30 teams with full stat tracking, point benefits and rewards. Gamers can customize the league including choosing players, teams, length of schedule and much more. (Note: There are no cross platform leagues available.)

• Online News Service / MLB.com Headline News – Sports fanatics can receive all the current happenings in sports today. Information will be updated a few times each hour with news, trades and events from 31 different feeds, each containing 25 unique items. Users can select general MLB® headlines or updates from all 30 teams instantly. New for 07, MLB 08 THE SHOW offers an enhanced Live MLB Ticker, which shows live status of all MLB games going on around the league – with updates several times a minute. This new view will be complete with who is on base, pitching, batting, on-deck and full inning-by-inning box scores.

• Rivalry Mode – For those with a competitive nature, Rivalry Mode allows baseball fans to set up and maintain multi-game rivalries between multiple gamers or versus the Artificial Intelligence (AI), and keeps track of the stats throughout the rivalry.

• Franchise Mode – Extending the experience of running a team, performance and player morale are tracked on virtually every level – salary, playing time, batting slot, team performance, and much more.

• Career Mode – The Career Spotlight underscores all of the accomplishments and failures during a career and showcases them in the limelight. Gamers still need to call the shots, but now the ramifications of actions are documented.

• Season Mode – Grind out the 162 game season and deal with day-to-day match-ups, refining the lineup and play for the championship just like the pros.

• All-Star Game – Lets gamers take the virtual road trip to New York early to see who prevails for home field advantage in the 2008 Fall Classic.

• Multi-Branch Fielding – Branch Point Technology goes to a new level as gamers you can now take full control of fielders and break out of any animation in the process. Change a fielding decision and branch out of any animation after the first branch point. With Branch Point Technology, MLB 08 THE SHOW provides unbelievably smooth, fluid transitions for seamless double plays and relays.

• PlayMaker Fielding – The fielding interface brings the player attributes together with the user’s skill level. With the Fielding Zone Marker, the fielder’s fielding attribute rating will determine the size of the zone that surrounds the ball and its eventual landing location. With highly ranked fielders, the ball marker will be displayed sooner and smaller, making it easier to judge fly balls.

• Adaptive Pitching Intelligence (API) – Catchers will call the game based on individual strengths and weaknesses of each pitcher and analyze tendencies of batters. Gamers will have the ability to trust the pitches called by the catcher or shake them off. (The catcher’s recommendations are based off of thousands of actual MLB® stats.)

• Pitch Command System (PCS) – Delivering unsurpassed authenticity and strategy to pitch selection, a pitcher’s “pitch comfort” will be predetermined based on a best to worst pitch scenario. It’s up the gamer to decide if they should try to “work on a pitch” or just go with what’s working. The more a player works on a pitch, the better it becomes, and the more a gamer neglects a pitch, the harder it becomes to work the zone.

• Release Point Pitching – Taking video game pitching to a whole new level, gamers must utilize a timing mechanism to learn and realize each pitchers pace and release point, which varies from pitcher to pitcher.

• Pitching Confidence Meter – The ultimate pitcher/batter interface returns. Additionally, Pitcher Confidence plays a role in a gamer’s ability to hit release points in the all-new pitch meter, while frequency of mistakes will impact the confidence level of a gamer’s hurler, making it more difficult to paint the corners of the strike zone.

• Guess Pitch – Baseball fans can attempt to master the ability to knock one out or hit the grounder to advance the runner by checking the pitch history and correctly guessing which pitch and the location that the pitcher will throw next. If the correct pitch is selected, the power attribute is increased in attempts to leave the yard in a hurry.

• My Sliders (Up/Downloadable) – The My Sliders option gives users the ability to create their perfect game settings offline by adjusting game sliders. Gamers can then save these adjustments to memory and, when online, upload to them to the MLB 08 THE SHOW server for other users to try and let the online community be the judge on finding the perfect game.

• MLB® Player Motion Captures – MLB 08 THE SHOW features dozens of professional athletes including David Wright, David Ortiz, Eric Chavez, Roger Clemens, Shawn Green, Tony Gwynn, Trevor Hoffman, Tim Hudson, Darryl Hamilton, Troy Percival, Brett Tomko, Mo Vaughn and more.

• Thousands of Personalized Animations – Authenticity: featuring personalized player animations for everything from walk-ups, rituals, stances and swings and even emotions.

• New Umpire Personalities – Providing even more realism to the diamond, MLB 08 THE SHOW features umpires with unique tendencies and animations. Each umpire will have his own definition of the strike zone, and it’s up to the gamer to figure out if the umpire is calling the zone high, low, or giving the corners.

• MLB 08 THE SHOW sets the bar high with the Progressive Commentary that changes as the user progresses throughout the game by adapting to current actions and situations.

• Managers / Coaches – MLB® managers and coaches will be on the field calling the shots.

• MLB Authenticity, Subtleties & Nuances – MLB 08 THE SHOW features drag bunts, wild pitches, broken bats, check swings, off-line throws and much more.

• Wind Effects – MLB 08 THE SHOW features a wind display showing wind speed and direction. Depending upon the severity of the wind, the ball will drift according to the speed and direction. Wind effects will force the player to take the proper route to the ball and make adjustments on the fly.

• 3-Man Booth & Progressive Commentary – Rex Hudler, Matt Vasgersian and Dave Campbell provide the most comprehensive commentary heard in any baseball videogame

Add in the ability to save the state of your game in the middle of the ballgame and pick it up later (I've read that somewhere, so I can't CONFIRM it), as well as WEEKLY roster updates (roster changes and attribute changes), MLB 08 The Show is well on its way to capturing the title of greatest sports game ever.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 06:57:32 PM by TheMissingLink » Logged

TheMissingLink on PSN
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 08:05:41 AM »

This is one of the few upcoming PS3 games that may push me to pick up the system (well, that and the demise of HD-DVD).  Here's hoping it ends up being as good as Sony's marketing is making it out to be...  MLB'07 on the PSP is still one of my all time favorite sports games.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 12:24:45 PM »

What do you want to know about it?  I just got preview code for it yesterday. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 12:40:42 PM »

TML !!!!

The reason I bought my ps3 was for this series.  (Yes, you guys will have to hear that every year!)

Thanks for the post, man!

edit:  To add something to the thread other than my rabid fanboyism for this series -  blog stuff

« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 12:53:23 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 01:00:47 PM »

I am so in, it hurts.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 01:29:30 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 17, 2008, 01:00:47 PM

I am so in, it hurts.

Yikes! You may want to pull it out a little bit if it hurts too much.

I thought The Show 07 was a great baseball game.  Unfortunately I just don't like to play action based baseball video games.  I always find flaws that bug me so much I give up on them after a few games.  I prefer management sims like Out of the Park or Strato Matic Baseball.

I wish the team that develops The Show would make a football game.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 01:34:51 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 04:37:03 PM »

In too . . . . who is going to be the commish for the GT online league?

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 04:46:31 PM »

The Show 07 was excellent (if not very pretty).  I will be there, on release day, with bells on for 08.

gellar
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 04:55:55 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 17, 2008, 12:24:45 PM

What do you want to know about it?  I just got preview code for it yesterday. smile

!!!!

1) There were quite a few hits straight up the middle.  More then there should have been.  Has that been toned down?  It didn't bother me that much, but I'm just curious.

2) Do they still have "classic" as an option for running the bases?

3) Is it 60 fps and are there any dips in framerate?

4) I thought I read it somewhere....can you save the state of a game mid-way through and resume later?

5) Have you come across the dynamic umpire personalities?  Strike zone tighter then usual, a little bigger?

6) How's the overall feel of the game?

7) You awarded last year's game an 83% - does it look like this year's offering is going to be awarded a higher score?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 07:20:33 AM by TheMissingLink » Logged

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 04:57:13 PM »

Quote from: ras752000 on January 17, 2008, 04:37:03 PM

Lockdown...?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 06:11:56 PM »

No no no.  Not this time.

You go right ahead, sir.  It's all yours.   icon_biggrin

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 17, 2008, 04:57:13 PM

Quote from: ras752000 on January 17, 2008, 04:37:03 PM

Lockdown...?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 06:25:36 PM »

I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN DO IT!

Plus, online play wasn't exactly stellar for '07, so let's just wait and see if the online play works this year biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 09:21:47 PM »

Progressive batting - wow, something to make me suck even more at the batting game than I already do. Tongue

Sounds like an awesome game in the works here, though. Good stuff!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 05:07:54 AM »

Graphics look pretty dang good!  No way I'm buying a baseball game though, I can sit through about 4 innings before the ADD kicks in.  Though if you can save anytime during a game that would pretty much cure that.

PS:  I knew either TML or Depward made this thread just by reading the title  Tongue

depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 06:14:32 AM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on January 18, 2008, 05:07:54 AM

Graphics look pretty dang good!  No way I'm buying a baseball game though, I can sit through about 4 innings before the ADD kicks in.  Though if you can save anytime during a game that would pretty much cure that.

PS:  I knew either TML or Depward made this thread just by reading the title  Tongue

Dude!   Tongue

And yeah, same way w/ baseball games - too hard for me to play a complete game!  Don't have the patience!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 01:34:18 AM »

New vid??

The new Road to the Show

LD

Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 11:11:28 PM »

It looks amazing.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 11:33:38 PM »

This is one of the best baseball games EVER (don't give me that, High Heat bs either).

IN!

Devil's Angels will be ready to destroy everyone with their slick fielding and 47 center fielders!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 06:15:52 AM »

2 questions.

1)  Is there a PS2 version?

2)  Is the trading bug fixed in the PS2's RTTS?  In 07, the AI would NOT trade anyone during the season, or pick up free agents, which led to things like Roger Clemens remaining a free agent until retirement, as well as other players. 

As well as some /really/ astoundingly stupid trades (Astros trading Berkman?  Um...no).
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 07:20:09 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 17, 2008, 12:24:45 PM

!!!!

1) There were quite a few hits straight up the middle.  More then there should have been.  Has that been toned down?  It didn't bother me that much, but I'm just curious.

2) Do they still have "classic" as an option for running the bases?

3) Is it 60 fps and are there any dips in framerate?

4) I thought I read it somewhere....can you save the state of a game mid-way through and resume later?

5) Have you come across the dynamic umpire personalities?  Strike zone tighter then usual, a little bigger?

6) How's the overall feel of the game?

7) You awarded last year's game an 83% - does it look like this year's offering is going to be awarded a higher score?

Rooooooonnnnnnn!!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 12:31:35 PM »

Good luck, TML.

I think he's stuck in a hobbit hole somewhere in Middle-Earth.

LD

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2008, 01:14:42 AM »

Kolbe from the team behind MLB 08 The Show has confirmed that a demo is coming "soonish."

I'm not crossing my fingers for one or two weeks, but hopefully before release in March biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2008, 03:59:51 PM »

I may have to buy a PS3 for this and I don't even love BBall games.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 12:55:31 PM »

I've got my preview up on the front page.  Linky:

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2008, 03:30:57 PM »

Quote from: Devil on January 22, 2008, 11:33:38 PM

This is one of the best baseball games EVER (don't give me that, High Heat bs either).

IN!

Devil's Angels will be ready to destroy everyone with their slick fielding and 47 center fielders!!

I loved High Heat and to this day I played that series more than any other Baseball series, BUT, MLB 06 and 07 are outstanding and if 08 is as big an improvement as people say it is then it will no doubt be the best Baseball game ever. The series really puts the MLB2K series to shame.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2008, 04:15:37 PM »

Great preview Ron!

I especially enjoyed that you put something in there specifically for Devil, as Celine Dion is one of his favorites.

LD

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2008, 04:58:34 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on January 30, 2008, 04:15:37 PM

Great preview Ron!

I especially enjoyed that you put something in there specifically for Devil, as Celine Dion is one of his favorites.

Thanks Lockdown!  I knew that Devil loves the Canadian Power-Ballad Queen Celine so I figured I'd give him a shout-out. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2008, 05:29:43 PM »

Any idea if it supports rumble via the Dualshock3?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2008, 05:34:50 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 30, 2008, 05:29:43 PM

Not sure but I'll find out.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2008, 05:50:55 PM »

Sweet, thanks Ron biggrin

I missed the rumble if my ball was out of the strike zone that I've seen in previous games last year...

TheMissingLink on PSN
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2008, 04:01:54 AM »

I'm guessing most of the sports folks have seen these.

But even if you aren't a sports fan...  check out the screenshots of this game for the ps3.

OpSports Link - Simply unreal

If that link doesn't work, you may have to be logged in.  I never remember how OperationSports works with linkage.

LD

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2008, 06:06:16 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 30, 2008, 05:29:43 PM

Official answer - Yes, it will support the DualShock3.  So there you have it...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2008, 06:52:53 PM »

SWEET!  Thanks for the good news, KD biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2008, 01:09:15 PM »

I finally want a PS3!  drool

PS3 screen name: slacker_joe
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2008, 01:24:13 PM »

For Devil:

LD

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2008, 02:57:37 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 05, 2008, 04:01:54 AM

I'm guessing most of the sports folks have seen these.

But even if you aren't a sports fan...  check out the screenshots of this game for the ps3.

OpSports Link - Simply unreal

If that link doesn't work, you may have to be logged in.  I never remember how OperationSports works with linkage.

Can't get the pics. This is definitely pushing me into the PS3 camp though. I'm on the fence for a console, but want some fun sports games to play with my son. Playing this at 1080 on my new 65' TV would be sweetness.

Anyone know what roster it will have and can it be updated automatically?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2008, 03:13:16 PM »

Arguably one of the best features of Sony's product is the online updates of rosters.  It is consistantly one of the high marks for the game year in and year out.  If you have your ps3 hooked up to the internet, you can update rosters literally every 1 to 4 weeks, and that is not an exaggeration.  Not only that, but the Sony team will also (at times) tweak player stats in those updates to correspond with the types of seasons players are having in real life.

It is six shades of awesome.

LD

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2008, 03:25:20 PM »

I know I've said it before but I'll say it again.  I wish these guys would make a football game.

The game looks great but I have virtually zero interest in action based baseball games.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2008, 04:18:46 PM »

February 11th stuff. - WorthPlaying Link

What are we, about 4 weeks out on this one?  Can't wait!

LD

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2008, 04:53:32 PM »

I am so goddamn psyched for this game.

There's going to be an update today or tomorrow on the Official Sony Blog...

TheMissingLink on PSN
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: