http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 06:07:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SW Battlefront = Gold  (Read 2910 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 02, 2004, 07:40:50 PM »

LucasArts has announced this afternoon that Star Wars Battlefront has gone gold for PC, Xbox, and PS2, and will hit store shelves on the 21st of this month.  Hmmmm....that is EXACTLY the same day that the original trilogy is hitting shelves.  Coincidence?  I think not.

Star Wars Battlefront is an intense open-ended single player and multiplayer action game set in the Star Wars universe that puts fans and gamers in the heat of the action as they re-live all of the epic battles from the classic and prequel eras. In the game, console and PC players can choose intense free-form multiplayer combat or a variety of robust single player modes including "Historical Campaigns" and "Galactic Conquest."

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 07:42:03 PM »

Sweet, thanks for the heads up smile
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 07:50:40 PM »

Apparantly the DVD set contains a demo of the Xbox version of this game.

So now I know what I can use to help me decide whether or not I want to buy that game.

Believe it or not, I'm actually hoping it will be terrible so I can spend $50 less than I'd planned this fall.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 07:51:41 PM »

I'm looking forward to this one, especially if it contains the cross platform connectivity they had originally planned.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 01:45:48 PM »

So, do you get to ride a snowspeeder on Hoth? I've never done that in a Star Wars game!!  :wink:

Has the well gone dry yet?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2004, 02:40:45 PM »

What's going to be sad is if the game is more fun than the newly revised versions that will hit DVD on that date. I am looking forward to this, right now I'm stumped as to which version to buy.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2004, 06:04:39 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
What's going to be sad is if the game is more fun than the newly revised versions that will hit DVD on that date. I am looking forward to this, right now I'm stumped as to which version to buy.

The game; cuz if greedo's shooting first it ain't MY star wars movie.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2004, 06:50:27 PM »

Greedo apparently still is shooting first, but the effects are reportedly better. But if Han's shooting first, then that's all the special effects I need right there. smile What pisses me off is that the reports on the special edition of THX-1138 say it's outstanding and that the changes there actually enhance the story, and that *gasp* Lucas got it right. Go figure.

Of course, the report on him taking over scripting for Indy 4 confirms for me that the project is (thankfully) dead. smile

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2004, 07:23:23 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Of course, the report on him taking over scripting for Indy 4 confirms for me that the project is (thankfully) dead. smile

Why couldn't he pull an Elvis and just go away??

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2004, 09:48:41 PM »

Leave it to a Star Wars thread to pull me out of my med school imposed exile.

I just need to know: have they decided one way or another whether the movies I grew up loving will ever be released on DVD?  Will I at least have the option, or will I have to keep buying VHS copies off ebay as mine continually get worn down?

Oh, and yeah Battlefront.  I may not get to play it for a while, but I hope it's good.

Join me or die!  Can you do any less?
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2004, 03:25:23 AM »

Alejandro, your best bet is to dub the VHS copies you have onto DVD. That's the only way you're getting the original series on disc, and I'm sure Lucas will make a mandate that they won't be available EVER once he dies. He hates them with a passion, for some reason, and refuses to recognize their place in film history. Ironically, this is while he touts the failure to preserve other pieces of cinema history. Dolt.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2004, 02:22:25 PM »

EGM's review is out (which means my mag must be coming soon):

8.0, 8.0, 9.0

Xbox Live: AgtFox
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2004, 09:20:35 PM »

So we are 4-5 days out for this one, anyone IN on release day? I had kind of forgotten about it, but just watched some vids on Gamespot and am now interested in it again. If only I had some money to burn. :cry:

LiveTAG: happydog
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2004, 10:17:45 PM »

I dunno on this one.  Team based stuff is always a mixed bag.  I can never really get a good batch of non-jacktards together enough times to justify the purchase on things that are pretty much multi-only.  I'm hoping that this'll be different but I'll wait a bit to see how it goes....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2004, 11:37:46 PM »

Same here.  I am predicting the game will be really really good, but as KD said, the "jacktards" (great word actually) are the potential problem.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2004, 01:24:48 PM »

Maybe we can set up a team of our own jacktards?

I know - It'll never work.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2004, 03:51:08 PM »

All it would take for a good fun time would be a bunch of us all getting the game, and then picking a consistent night every week when everybody at least makes an effort to show up and play.

And, a server we're all guaranteed spots in certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

I only just recently found a couple of excellent groups to play a couple of games with, but in both cases the gaming experience is 10 times better than it was playing said games with the random denizens of the net.

Which, by the way, means I will definitely not be able to play any games on Tuesday or Thursday nights, as both nights are spoken for slywink

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2004, 04:06:57 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Maybe we can set up a team of our own jacktards?

I know - It'll never work.

Actually I think it'd work fine, except for the CG Staff members who would all probably start instigating crap with each other just 'cause. biggrin PK'ing other members on the staff might get completely out of hand.  :twisted:

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2004, 04:43:29 PM »

Well, I don't know about you people, but if I got this game it would be for PC, not Xbox.

I'm going to guess the "jacktards" from here will be very split in which platform they get it for, creating even more confusion.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2004, 07:54:35 PM »

The game is awesome and will be getting my $$ on the day it's released.

It's beautiful, with Halo-like controls in 3rd person! smile  The AI of the bots is even half decent.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2004, 07:54:57 PM »

I'd probably go XBox if I did get it.  

What's everyone else doing, besides AgtFox and PC?

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2004, 08:25:46 PM »

IF I can pull it off I would get it for Xbox.

LiveTAG: happydog
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2004, 09:15:07 PM »

I'm with Fox - PC all the way.

I credit all you guys that can control First Person Shooters on the Xbox with any degree of skill.  I envy you.  Since I can not, my decision is sort of made for me.

-- -- -- -- --

I just thought of something...  (no wisecracks)

Let's say we had a group of 32 playing this game.  If 8 people chose Rebels, 8 chose Republic, 8 chose Seperatists, and 8 chose Empire...

Would there be 4 teams of 8 all opposing each other, or would the "good guys" team up and the "bad guys" team up to make only 2 total teams?

Anyone know how this works?

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2004, 09:59:41 PM »

If I recall, it's only ever 2 on 2 teamwise.  The four teams are split between 2 eras and you can't mix eras.  Then again, that's from a preview I read a long time ago, so take someone else's word if it's more recent.

Join me or die!  Can you do any less?
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2004, 04:03:28 AM »

Review is up at IGN smile

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/549/549156p1.html

You guys should rethink and grab the Xbox version so we can all play!  Sounds like the console versions are the best this time.

Can't wait.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2004, 10:52:46 AM »

Thanks for the heads up Eco!

That review is actually sort of well done, something I hardly ever say about IGN reviews.

I am glad I read it, as now I will hold off on buying the game for any system until I hear from you guys.  

The negatives he spoke of (the "Constricted" part of the review) are important to me.  That whole section of the review is a big turnoff to me.

I agree he makes the xbox version seem more appealing than the pc version though.  Interesting.

I will hold off...  but I will anxiously await your guys' thoughts after you get the game.

Oh... and jessie's got videos up if you guys are interested.  He da' man!  

http://www.2years.net/

LD

LD

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2004, 11:12:36 AM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
You guys should rethink and grab the Xbox version so we can all play!  Sounds like the console versions are the best this time.

Hmmm...to me the review sounds like if you've ever played Battlefield or Unreal Tournament you'll find Battlefront to be simple whether you get it on the PC or the consoles.

I'm also not enthused about the constricting elements of the game from an endgame perspective.  Maybe LucasArts should have contracted DICE to work on this game or something.  Battlefield is still immensely fun to play 2 years after its release because of the mod community and expansions.  You won't have as much luck with this game at least on the Xbox and PS2.

Oh well, this game was on the fringe for me anyway, maybe I'll rent it next week.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: