http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 04:21:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Supreme Commander - Um.. I'll take one.  (Read 13686 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2006, 02:10:54 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 27, 2006, 11:18:32 PM

Quote from: Calvin on August 27, 2006, 10:51:49 PM

This game looks so EFFING AWESOME!!  mad
It kills me every time Chris Taylor says the game is already finished and just being optimized and balanced.  Me want now!

Seriously, its like just stabbing deeper and twisting. But, but, if you really think about it, the magnitude of the game simply demands it. We are talking about balancing for dozens of units with no real rock paper scissors balancing concept, balancing for maps possibly 10x bigger than those in any RTS we have ever played, and units and gameplay dynamics that will span a massive battlefield. It must be a QA and balancing nightmare. I think I can wait so they can get it right smile
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2006, 10:29:55 AM »

OK boys and girls...

This morning we shall look at the command interface for SupCom.  Apparently, a guy from SupremeCommanderHQ went to some gaming show deal recently and snapped some pics.  If you want to keep up with the thread itself, check out this link.

If not, attached are two pics of the moddable interfaces.  The first one seems rather obtrusive to me.  The second looks more "standard" for lack of a better term.  C.Taylor mentioned there would be a few interfaces to choose from when the game shipped, and also that modders could have a go at making their own rather easily.

[attachment deleted by admin]

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2006, 01:07:12 PM »

Nice find.  That thread is useless though, 3 pages long and they've only been talking about whether or not a superunit will survive some nukes?

But about the interface.  In the upper right corner it's clearly monitoring your super units, much like other games with hero type units.  One thing I'm wondering, though, is if it is also tracking enemy super units.  Unless I'm seeing this wrong, it looks like the tall robot is not on the same team as the giant spider robots, but the upper right corner shows both.

In the bottom left there's a I, II, III, and a O, I'm guessing these are for setting waypoints and patrol routes.

The icons in the middle top of the screen, from right to left:
  • probably a pause button
  • handshake is probably for diplomacy & alliances.
  • Envelope?  It seems a bit much for simple in-game chat, maybe you can send PMs to friends across the meta game server?
  • The medal...I'm guessing some sort of achievement/ranking system?
  • Arrow pointing to a bullseye...map ping for teammates?  This one's got me stumped.
  • Circle with a dot in the middle--I'll guess that this is for opening the game menu.

The icons on the top left, just above the minimap are interesting
  • The triple chevron...unit rankings?  Unit upgrades?
  • Three triangles with lines...I'm going to guess this is for formations
  • Bar graph with jagged arrow: likely brings up various statistics, unit counts, etc.
  • Looks like a satellite with an eye on the bottom to me.  I'm guessing it brings you to fully zoomed out strategic view, but maybe it's for orbital weapons, spy satellites or something?
  • I have no idea what that last one is, a pile of dung with a balloon?  I'm going to guess that's supposed to be a switch and it's for setting a unit's individual behavior, like how you could set aggressiveness and retalliation settings in Total Annihilation.

The commands below the minimap are a bit abstract.  Clearly they're for unit orders, but I can't figure out what they'd all be.  The first one is move, second maybe move but limited engagement, 3rd is move and destroy along the way, 4th is attack, 5th is guard, 6th is stop?

On the bottom where you've got the info for the selected unit, to the right it looks like he's a constant -1 metal, -5 energy drain.  Doesn't seem like much.  I'm curious what the three green dots above his health bar represent.

It's more interesting to me to see what options are available in the interface, rather than the appearance/layout itself.  Given the UIs made by fans for WoW and Oblivion, you just know someone's going to make a SupCom interface that blows any of the default options out of the water.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2006, 08:46:35 PM »

The first interface pic is huge, the second much better-I am positive there will be 3-4 different options to choose from though-either way the amount of info displayed is just awesome!
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2006, 09:05:41 PM »

Everything is very pretty... but it just seems to lack personality.  Which is great, SupCom will be the game for grand epic strategy.  DoW will be for small tactical battles (plus it has personality in spades).  And BFME2 will be for when I don't want to worry about "winning" or "doing good" and just want to kick ass.

Just Hiro will do.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2006, 01:09:22 AM »

Next up...

Gamespot does a teeny preview of the Aeon Units.

See link HERE

AND

The Multiplayer Beta Announcement we kinda fingured was coming, but didn't know when, has been confirmed.  Read about that HERE.

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 04, 2006, 10:59:08 PM »

Well, as many of you already know, there was a big brooha in Germany that showed off a bunch of games. 

Our King of Verbosity (aka Chris Taylor) was there to talk about SupCom.

Linked HERE is the video from GameReactor.  He touches on a couple new things like the way the game scales and the campaign structure; but mostly it's the same stuff we've heard.  He does make me laugh though.

LD

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2006, 02:23:09 PM »

Here is a link to some stills taken from the San Jose show.  The pics pretty much suck, but you can see a few new things if you look closely.  Link to SupCom HQ 

Unfortunately, the video that MadBoris took was posted for a short time before he was asked to take it down.  It's floating around out there on torrents and stuff, but I'm way too lazy to go looking for it.

Here is one pic of the interface that is interesting if you don't feel like viewing them all.

LD

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2006, 11:57:46 PM »

THQ has put up their own version of a movie of the show in Germany.

It's an over-the-shoulder camera movie of C.Taylor giving a presentation.

Not the greatest over-the-shoulder vid of all time to be sure, but it does show off some kinda new stuff I guess.

I wouldn't consider it a "must see" - but if you're interested...

Link1 to THQ site

Link2 to THQ movie site since sometimes these links are all messed up.

LD

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2006, 02:20:14 AM »

That interface is effing incredible. It looks so detailed, yet modular in a way-presenting so many different combinations of views-its awesome.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2006, 01:50:12 AM »

After a bit of a dry-spell, here is another video about the game.  It's a developer interview (Paul Levy), and it's not going to win any awards for best interview or anything, but it's something.   :icon_confused:

Link to ABC.Net if you dare

- - - - - - - -

There is also a new story at Gamestar... albeit in German, which I do not understand.  But hey... if you do - have at it!

Here is the LINK along with a really cool new picture from the site.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 01:53:46 AM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2006, 06:11:35 AM »

I figure we are about 10-12 weeks out from release of the game of the century right about now.

So, in order to celebrate that fun-fact, here is a link to a website (in French) that has all the official screenshots ever taken on SupCom on 1 handy page.  Up at the top, just click Media and go from there.  Also of note, if you click on the High Resolution link, you can get all those fancy shmancy wallpapers and stuff (like Calvin asked for much earlier in this thread).

Also in the media area is the newest video floating around out there.  (Oct.2006).  It's a video of a demonstration of SupCom being presented in Paris recently.  It's a pretty long download, (about 17 minutes of footage), so be aware of that.  The quality of the vid is pretty poor, so there is no way to judge the graphics, but the camera guy does zoom in on the interface a bit, which is nice.  Of note, if you don't watch it, the presenter pulls out at one point, revealing a background that I am going to assume shows how big the largest maps can be in the game.  It's big.  He also goes into a bit more detail and shows off the UI and the ways you can split the screen and move things around on the interface, which is cool.  It's certainly not a "must-see" - but if you're bored, it's not bad. Link to SCAlliance

It's essentially the same as this one, although since this is Gametrailers, and totally in English, this may be easier to watch.  Gametrailers Uploaded Movie  (I actually like this one more, but it's not as recent, and I don't remember if I have posted this one before.  If not, this is a really informative vid if you haven't seen it. and well worth watching.)

« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 12:54:37 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2006, 08:05:51 AM »

PC Gamer December '06 has a new preview of SupCom, the "game of the century" (if it's that good already, just imagine what it'll be at release).  Here's a preview of the preview.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2006, 04:34:02 AM »

Just like the white winged dove...  ooo, baby... ooo, baby... ooo.

Situation Report at Gamespot.

with video if you wish.

I personally CAN NOT WAIT for some naval battles.  I am all over those sea maps baby.

One quote from the smallish interview, in case you don't feel like going to Gamespot:

CT: Multiplayer allows you to do all of the above. You can play up to eight players, in any configuration, mix and match AIs (and like I mention above, those AIs can be of different personality types), and you can play on teams, with or against the computer AI. The matches here at Gas Powered Games have been insane, and we really have to stay focused on the development side and not get too carried away playing it!

There are also rumors floating around out in internet land that FilePlanet subscribers will have access to something relatively soon.  Beta, demo, a free peanut butter and jelly sandwich...  I'm not sure what.  Stay tuned.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 11:38:39 AM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2006, 11:46:48 AM »

Hmmm...

7 of the last 10 posts have been from me.  Looks like my Game of the Century is puttering out for others.

That's ok though.  Just like Wonderdog, I am undaunted in my fight to rid the world of cruddy games, and help usher in a new era of great pc gaming.  Ignore if you wish, but new updates shall continue to be tracked.

OK, enough horseplay for now.  Below is a link to Shacknews articles where beta-play impressions are starting to pop up.  Finally some thoughts from real people.  Link is below to parts 1 and 2.  New pictures can also be found via the links in the thread, and they are very informative in their own right.  I would consider this a high priority read for those interested.

If for some reason, you can not get to the links: 

1. GasPoweredGames is doing their own hosting system.  No Gamespy here.
2. The interface seems very, very informative and easy to use.  (I included a pic of the economy one)
3. The graphics look pretty good to me, considering the ridiculous amount of units that could be on screen at once.
4. There are more pictures at the links, but I included 2 if you can't get there.
5. Aren't you excited yet?

Part I

Part II

« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 11:53:26 AM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2006, 01:59:59 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 21, 2006, 04:34:02 AM

There are also rumors floating around out in internet land that FilePlanet subscribers will have access to something relatively soon.  Beta, demo, a free peanut butter and jelly sandwich...  I'm not sure what.  Stay tuned.

According to Fileplanet, there will be news on Monday. I'm hoping for the PB&J.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2006, 06:04:11 PM »

I hope Fileplanet isn't getting the beta. Every time I sign up for that crap to get a slot, it says they're all taken after I've wasted my money.
T
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 22, 2006, 06:12:17 PM »

Quote from: siege on October 22, 2006, 06:04:11 PM

I hope Fileplanet isn't getting the beta. Every time I sign up for that crap to get a slot, it says they're all taken after I've wasted my money.

This is what I'm afraid of.  I have no problem paying for it, it's just that if you can't get in they should refund your money.  Or just give it to all subscribers.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2006, 06:42:01 PM »

Lockdown never fear, I am still insanely stoked for this game and woudl likely pay for a fileplanet sub to play the beta!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2006, 07:58:09 PM »

I'm kinda starting to pay attention to this one.  I like TA and ated TA Kingdoms.  This looks to be alot likeTA, so it might be my first RTS in awhile.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2006, 01:06:10 AM »

It looks pretty neat-o, but in terms of "character"... it looks like DoW still has it beat.

Just Hiro will do.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2006, 04:06:36 AM »

The idea of comparing Supreme Commander to DoW is kinda laughable Supes.

Squad Based RTS vs. an RTS which has map scales dozen of kilometers long.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2006, 04:17:16 AM »

I can't even get the beta to run. It crashes with a runtime error after startup.  crybaby
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2006, 09:18:05 AM »

siege - I hope when you get things up and running you come in here every once in awhile and update us on your thoughts.  I'm sure many of us would love to hear them, me especially.

For those of you that don't mind a few "spoilers" - if such is even possible in an RTS - here is a link to a thread at SupComUniverse with a ton of information on the game.  Enjoy.

Link - scroll down just a bit to get to the good stuff

LD

Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2006, 02:31:07 PM »

Quote from: CSL on October 23, 2006, 04:06:36 AM

They both inhabit the same overall genre.  His point still stands.  I believe SC is going to be using lots of mechanical chirps and bleeps for unit responses, just like TA.  So yeah, personality, an important quality in many great RTSs, might be a problem here.  Everything else about it looks extremely awesome, though.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 23, 2006, 05:59:37 PM »

Quote from: Luke on October 23, 2006, 02:31:07 PM

Quote from: CSL on October 23, 2006, 04:06:36 AM

They both inhabit the same overall genre.  His point still stands.

No it doesn't.

DoW = squad based combat
Supreme Commander = dozens of tactical nuclear weapons and large fleet combat

It's like saying an operational level wargame should have the personality of an X-COM level tactical game. The fact that they are in the same overall genre has no relevency.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2006, 07:43:41 PM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on October 23, 2006, 01:06:10 AM

It looks pretty neat-o, but in terms of "character"... it looks like DoW still has it beat.

Yknow, I see what you mean by the character in DoW, but it really feels to me that at times people use that as an excuse to make up for the fact that at its core, DoW offers shockingly few tactical options. Now, I love love love the additions that Dark Crusade has added, and I have a blast playing it. But there is a reason I play ranked ladders on COH, and from what I have read, a lot of the compettive DOW and CC:ZH people migrated there too.

ANyways, too each their own biggrin
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2006, 09:10:15 PM »

I don't know guys.  I remember playing TA for the first time, and just going back to Starcraft.  I could appreciate TA game wise, but the atmospehere was just so sterile and stale.  Robots killing other robots.  Beep boop boop.  It's an intrinsic/aesthetic thing I guess. 

don't get me wrong, I'll be on board with you bastards for SupCom. 

Just Hiro will do.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2006, 11:56:08 PM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on October 23, 2006, 09:10:15 PM

I don't know guys.  I remember playing TA for the first time, and just going back to Starcraft.  I could appreciate TA game wise, but the atmospehere was just so sterile and stale.  Robots killing other robots.  Beep boop boop.  It's an intrinsic/aesthetic thing I guess.

For sure, the Starcraft units have a lot more character, but for me personally the TA units came to life through being rendered in 3d with all their little moving gizmos and independently moving turrets.

But yeah, I think in general the appeal for the TA style of game isn't for the atmosphere and character, it was for the scale and strategic options.  Sure, some people would play on small maps that were similar to Starcraft's scale, but I preferred the giant maps with huge islands, those would turn into an epic large scale war.

Of course, that TA definition of "epic" is going to be thoroughly trounced when SupCom comes out.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2006, 01:11:33 AM »

Fileplanet Beta signups are live...subscribers only.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2006, 01:25:33 AM »

Quote from: Punisher on October 24, 2006, 01:11:33 AM

Fileplanet Beta signups are live...subscribers only.

PRoblem is, its not guaranteed? What are our chances of getting in? Thats pretty important before I waste money on it.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2006, 01:56:42 AM »

Very cool. I just got my email from GPG inviting me into the beta. Glad I don't have to subscribe to FP.

Dunno if this is old news, but from the email...

Multiplayer Beta System Requirements (beta-only, not final game spec):

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP (SP2 recommended)
Processor: 1.8 GHz or greater; 3.0 Ghz or greater, dual core, recommended
RAM: 512 MB or greater; 2 GB recommended
Hard Drive: 3 GB available hard disk space
Video: 128 MB video RAM or greater, with Vertex Shader / Pixel Shader 2.0 support; ATI X800 XL or greater, nVidia GeForce 6800 or greater recommended
Audio: Sound card or on-board audio component, speakers or headphones
Internet: 56.6 Kbps Internet connection required; Cable/DSL speeds with 24 Kbps upstream per opponent recommended.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2006, 02:07:13 AM »

Cal:  Well, your chances of getting "in" are 100%.  The chances of you getting in NOW are slim to none. 

Keys will be available first come first serve to those that sign up for the beta through Fileplanet.

Is that good news... bad news... you decide I guess.

icon_wink
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 02:11:01 AM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

siege

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2006, 02:09:05 AM »

Dang. The password they sent me to download the beta is invalid according to Fileplanet. I can't even get the forums to load to see if it's a shared problem with others. Must be getting swamped.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2006, 02:12:36 AM »

Hammered isn't the word for it.  I got confirmation I am in, but I can't get past the download screen to actually download the client.  It is stuck good.   icon_frown

Why can't all these kids go play WoW like good little children and leave SupCom alone. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 02:14:48 AM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

siege

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2006, 02:14:25 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 24, 2006, 02:12:36 AM

Hammered isn't the word for it.  I got confirmation I am in, but I can't get past the download screen to actually download the client.  It is stuck good.   icon_frown

Is your key valid?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2006, 02:17:35 AM »

I don't even have my key yet.  Here is the message I am stuck at...

You have been accepted into the Supreme Commander beta - but no beta slots are currently available.
However, you have already reserved a key and you WILL get a beta slot as soon as one is available.

Congratulations - you will be one of the few who is accepted to the exclusive closed beta test for Supreme Commander. We will be releasing keys throughout the closed beta event, so no matter when you are seeing this, a new key release is only a few days away. Beta slots will be given out on a first-come, first-served basis, so stay tuned - your slot will be opening soon.

Download the Supreme Commander game client now - once you get your beta slot, all you have to do is enter your activation key and you can play instantly!

Then a nice big DOWNLOAD sign appears.  But it just haaaaannnnggggssss.

:icon_confused:

LD

siege

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2006, 02:21:58 AM »

Ahh, I had to enable some 5 day VIP pass to my account on Fileplanet. Then it has a key you have to enter to gain access to the beta, which isn't working.  disgust
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2006, 02:26:19 AM »

I don't know anyone else's chances, but I got my key and the client. Heading to bed though so won't be able to try it until tommorrow at work or something.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2006, 02:27:59 AM »

What?  They gave a key to a guy named after a superhero? 
That's messed up!

Actually, I'm going to go watch the 2nd half of the game.  I figure I can dl the client anytime.  (I'm guessing)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 02:32:44 AM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: