http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 11:25:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Supreme Commander - Um.. I'll take one.  (Read 13688 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2006, 02:59:06 AM »

Man, to say I can not wait for this title is such an understatement!

Have a look...

Link to IGN

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
unbreakable
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 04:56:22 AM »

Taylor really burned me with Dungeon Siege.  I'll play "wait and see".

It was very disappointing.  Everything I read prior to DS coming out had me really hyped.  And then... I played it.  Or what passes for playing, since one does not play DS so much as watch it.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 06:09:41 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Taylor really burned me with Dungeon Siege.  I'll play "wait and see".

It was very disappointing.  Everything I read prior to DS coming out had me really hyped.  And then... I played it.  Or what passes for playing, since one does not play DS so much as watch it.

Thats my take. I loved TA and played it to death with friends online. Then he forms a new company and releases that craptastic DS. DS2 was'nt much better but I was able to finish that one at least. I dont trust him now. I hope he falls back to his TA roots but Im worried he'll try something new for the masses again with this.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 06:58:12 AM »

I think this'll be fine.  DS was too simple for me, but I could tell it was more trying to be an RTS than a hack and slash diablo type game.

Secretly in his heart he wants to make RTS games, and now he can.
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 03:21:30 PM »

Nice new pics. Very nice.

This very well might be a day 1 purchase for me.

I figure between this and Rise of Legends, at least one will be the next AAA RTS title we've been hoping for. Maybe both. smile I'm just hoping that one or both of them will run decently on my current rig.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 03:24:24 PM »

:shock:  OMG!

That picture at sea with the ships and squadron of green fighters!  :shock:

AWESOME!  I'm right there with you Hoagiehead.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 02:06:32 AM »

I do have to admit the pictures look cool.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 02:34:30 PM »

Quote from: "greeneggsnham"
I figure between this and Rise of Legends, at least one will be the next AAA RTS title we've been hoping for. Maybe both. smile I'm just hoping that one or both of them will run decently on my current rig.

Supreme Commander is a 2007 title so good luck with your rig lasting that long unless you've upgraded it recently (or plan to).
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 04:29:31 PM »

Now THIS is what I'm talking about.

I can't even begin to describe how excited I am about this game.

Have a Look

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 05:43:27 PM »

Wow, it looks fantastic, but I worry about how one can keep up with controlling so many units on such huge maps.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 06:23:28 PM »

Quote from: "Jimmy the Fish"
Wow, it looks fantastic, but I worry about how one can keep up with controlling so many units on such huge maps.

I don't see using that zoomed in view ever, except if it is possible after being knocked out of an MP game...

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 06:42:45 PM »

I really can't say how excited I am for this game, everything I read and see about it looks phenomenal.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 10:07:37 PM »

That looked very cool.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 10:20:51 PM »

A more complete video.  Same thing as before, but a bit longer...

Preview Movie via videocam

LD

Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2006, 11:14:37 PM »

Ohhhhhh, pretty. biggrin

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 11:57:37 AM »

Yep, the more I watch it, the more I can't even think about any other game.  

When this game is released, I will spend however much money is needed to upgrade my computer to be able to run it in it's full glory.  

I know, I make no sense.  I won't spend $600 on a ps3, but I would spend $1,500 in upgrades (if need be) to be able to play this game.  There's no explaining it, I'm just retarded I guess.

I predict GOTY for 2007 and 2008, just because giving it GOTY for only 1 year won't be enough.   biggrin  

What was Hetz old signature?:  "Morrowind, that is all."  

I think I may change mine to "Supreme Commander, that is all."   :wink:

LD

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2006, 11:59:34 PM »

I'll upgrade for this too. I mean shit, it's TA. What other game let me build 10 big berthas and Then I let them all fire at will at anything red and you could just hear the thunder of the artillery. It acually sounded like artillery.....Where I spent hours building enough power generators to get my vulcan able to fire continuously. Watching that chaingun rip through anything and everything and see the shells fly everywhere.

Or make a 100 fighters and watching them go into a V on the map as they all fired at one thing.  Or that same 100 fighters colliding into another 100 fighters turning into a giant dog fight.

No other game has been able to match the scale of TA. The only game that could do it, is anothter TA. And from that shitty quality video camera, I felt sorry for that little strip of land.

It looks like they've done it again. Long live TA.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2006, 12:43:20 AM »

At this point time, I'm of the same opinion, the most fun I ever had in 1v1 internet game was when I spent 6 hours on shore to shore kicking ass back and forth before the world ending in a nearly MAD situation (One of his counter-nukes missed... mine didn't.)

That was FUN

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2006, 11:50:03 AM »

If you can get this to work...

Long video

I have not been this excited for a game release since....  Hell, I can't even remember.

LD

Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2006, 12:45:34 AM »

To whomever said they'd upgrade their PC for this... so will I. Damn, I'm even more pumped... too bad there's at least 7 months to go.

Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2006, 10:28:26 PM »

I have not been this excited for a game release since.... Hell, I can't even remember.

+100
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2006, 03:27:16 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
A more complete video.  Same thing as before, but a bit longer...

Preview Movie via videocam

Just for everyone, there is a high quality version of this trailer on Gamespot. You must watch.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2006, 01:48:43 AM »

I'm not sure if any of you may have missed this, so allow me...

Gamespot Preview - June 8th

LD

Slipblade
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2006, 04:54:10 AM »

I am very impressed with the graphics.  With history of games, the ones with great graphics usually lack in a storyline or the AI is dumb.

Hopefully this will not be so...Now just need to wait for a review from here slywink
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2006, 05:15:49 AM »

Quote from: "Slipblade"
I am very impressed with the graphics.  With history of games, the ones with great graphics usually lack in a storyline or the AI is dumb.

Hopefully this will not be so...Now just need to wait for a review from here slywink

Just watched the trailer that was filmed at E3 for this over Slipblade's shoulder.  I'm impressed, very impressed.  Given how many games I get to see every year, that is saying something! smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2006, 04:03:46 PM »

That game looks too crazy to control.
I also suck at RTS games, and I fear this will be the case once again with SC. Maybe I should track down a copy of TA and see if I like it.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2006, 04:56:19 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"

I turned off all the extra AI, so if I sat there and did nothing my party would be wiped out in a matter of seconds.  I really don't see why you people complain about this when it's easy to fix.

Admittedly, the single player game was a one-trick pony on rails.  It was still fun the first time through, though.  The multiplayer, however, was a blast.  I remember myself, my girlfriend at the time, and a friend playing it for hours and hours on end.  Good times!

I'm on board for Supreme Commander.  Looks great and brings back fond memories of Total Annihilation.

glyc

unbreakable
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2006, 12:01:01 AM »

Because the most interactivity you would have with the game is drinking potions.

Manually selecting targets does not make it a better game (or even a good game).  DS was a let-down on so many levels, the complaints I stated here were just the tip of the iceberg.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2006, 01:53:15 AM »

It's not so much the automation that made it a bad game, it was the lack of choices.  You had no choice about where to go or what path to take.  You had no choice about character progression beyond choosing what weapon they should use and what spell they should equip, and even then that wasn't much of a choice because most items were either crap or clearly better than previous gear.

In combat you had some choices, but since it worked just fine to let the AI do the killing, you didn't really need to intervene.

I really think they should have structure the game more closely towards the Infinity engine style games (Baldur's Gate), except purely combat focused.  What I mean is that each encounter is a challenge where you must use your party's abilities to overcome various challenges, instead of Diablo style where creatures are thrown at you en mass, and you just spam attacks and powers to beat them.

This would help seperate the game from Diablo.

But, back to TA.  From what I'm reading you still have choices to make, in this case the automation AI helps ease the burden of managing the traditional RTS base.  So after making initial choices about how to setup the base, you then can let the AI handle that.  From there on you make choices about how to deploy your army.

Of course, this all depends on how much tactical variation they build into each army.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2006, 01:03:00 AM »

Ok... it's not much, but at least it's something.

Link to Gamespot Tiny Article

LD

drake113
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2006, 03:11:10 PM »

I saw a demo of SC at last weekend's Comic Con, and it looks pretty dang cool.  Some of the interesting things I learned:

* As in TA, the devs plan to release additional units about once a month for download.

* Dual monitor support-- you can have your tactical display on one screen, and your 'mini' map on the other.  Now I just need to get another monitor.

* Multiple nuke types, from tactical to strategic.  They did a strike of about a dozen strategic nukes for the purposes of the demo, and it wiped out most of the map.  Quick units outside of ground zero can, potentially, outrun the blast radius.  There are also anti missile defenses that can shoot down incoming nukes.

* Troops may survive if the troop carrier they are in is destroyed.

* Each base has its own commander, who will automatically start rebuilding destroyed buildings for you, so you don't need to micromanage them.

* Artillery has some insane range; in the map they feature on the E3 video, the diameter of artillery range covers approximately half the map. However, the map from E3 (the same one they used for the demo at Comic Con) is one of the smaller ones.  The largest maps are 16 (maybe more than this?  I'm not actually sure of the multiple, but it is at LEAST 16) times as large as that map.

* The big submarine things from the E3 video are actually aircraft carriers.  The giant tank thing rolling out of the ocean and onto land is a mobile factory.  It has 4 battleship turrets and a launch pad.

* Best of all, the Devs seemed VERY confident about hitting their release date.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2006, 03:50:55 PM »

This game seems to be the ultimate strategy game for me. I will buy it.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2006, 04:26:04 PM »

I wouldn't upgrade my system for crysis.... but for supreme commander?  Who do I give the money to?

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2006, 01:38:44 PM »

Far be it from me to not inform you all when I accidently find a blurb or two...

Aeon Illuminate at GS

LD

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2006, 11:52:27 AM »

And then there is this...

Interview with C. Taylor

LD

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2006, 12:09:06 PM »

Thanks!  This game looks like it'll be INSANE.  I'm looking forward to it.  Demo hopefully?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2006, 12:10:33 PM »

Read that interview last night.  I really want this game now!  The first TA was one of the best games ever.  If this update plays like the original, but on a bigger scale, I'll be happy.  If they manage to get rid of a lot of the tedium (troop transport, etc.), I'll be even happier!

---
XBox Live: ScottW
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2006, 12:17:01 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
If they manage to get rid of a lot of the tedium (troop transport, etc.), I'll be even happier!

I don't know if you meant this as an actual question, but I'll answer anyways.    From what I've read you'll be able to set up pick up and drop off zones for your transports, so they'll automatically deliver soldiers and go back for another batch.

Heaven.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2006, 12:51:30 PM »

Quote from: "Chris Taylor"
You've got spooking systems for your mobile units that can make it look like there's a massive army approaching on radar when there isn't, and so on and so forth.

I hadn't heard about the spooking systems, this game just keeps getting better and better.

I don't think I've ever seen a game that so perfectly matches what I would create if I had my own company.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2006, 01:00:32 PM »

:shock:

This picture makes me weep.  Seriously, I think I whimpered when I saw it for the first time.  (the picture in it's full glory can be seen in the interview article.  This is scaled down so as not to cause rude comments to be slung my way for messing up people's browsers and such)

LD

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: