http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 03:59:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix  (Read 3761 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2008, 02:07:56 PM »

Anyone in?  I'm getting it today for the 360 and will be playing this for a bit along with CoD
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 03:52:20 PM »

If enough people are IN, I will be too. I used to love me some SFII, but I'm pretty sure I'd be completely rusty.

Is the game relatively playable with the 360 controller? I'm not hardcore enough to buy an arcade stick, and I'm worried I won't be able to pull off my dragon punches with the regular controller.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 03:52:51 PM »

360 Controller is crappy for fighters.  So, I'm out

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 04:05:44 PM »

Supposedly they have made changes to balance the characters as well as make moves easier to pull off on dpads.  In addition, you can make some 5-10 minute mods to your pad to fix it's issues if buying a stick isn't an option for you.

I would suggest anyone who enjoys street fighter to buy one of the sticks though.  They had them for Dead or Alive 4 and then re-released for Soul Calibur 4 or whatever the latest one is.  run between 20-40 bucks and are pretty much arcade perfect.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 04:14:06 PM »

also, when SFIV comes out in Feb, there are 3 new controllers coming out...

available in different art

http://www.gamecyte.com/street-fighter-iv-arcade-stick-preorders-open for the page.

Also see this link for the uber hardcore actual arcade cabinet stick version

http://kotaku.com/5049022/mad-catz-street-fighter-iv-sticks-under-glass

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 04:30:57 PM »

Damn I hadn't heard about those Fightpads.  If that's an 8-way non-sucky d-pad I might have to snatch one up.

I was about to say I'll probably skip SSFIITHDR (whew) and wait for SFIV, but I just now read that SFIITHDR (whew) will have music from OCRemix.com!  That's awesome!

$15, eh?  I guess I'll cave.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 04:38:13 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 26, 2008, 04:05:44 PM

In addition, you can make some 5-10 minute mods to your pad to fix it's issues if buying a stick isn't an option for you.

Do you have a link to good step-by-step guide?

I actually discovered SFII when it hit the SNES, so I actually learned to play on a dpad and prefer it to an arcade stick (heresy, I know). If I can get a responsive dpad on the 360 controller, I'm definitely in.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 04:40:07 PM »

Sadly if I do get this, it'll be for PS3 due to the controller.

gellar
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 05:33:09 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on November 26, 2008, 04:38:13 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on November 26, 2008, 04:05:44 PM

In addition, you can make some 5-10 minute mods to your pad to fix it's issues if buying a stick isn't an option for you.

Do you have a link to good step-by-step guide?

I actually discovered SFII when it hit the SNES, so I actually learned to play on a dpad and prefer it to an arcade stick (heresy, I know). If I can get a responsive dpad on the 360 controller, I'm definitely in.

haven't done it myself since I own 2 of the DoA sticks.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 05:34:27 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXG2aDn6ZYg is a video, haven't watched it yet since I'm at work.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 05:46:28 PM »

http://www.ufighterx.com/guides/videogame/360dpadfix/360dpadfix.htm

there's a simple walkthrough on the sanding mod.
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 07:43:25 PM »

Definitely in. This should hold me over until SF4 comes out.

XBL: RoboSim

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 08:23:15 PM »

Make sure to give Harkonis negative rep for cheating.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 09:24:22 PM »

Thanks, Harkonis. I'll check out those links.

I just tried the demo and whoa, WORST DEMO EVAR. You can only play a multiplayer LOCAL match between Ryu and Ken. You can't even play single player. Meaning, if you only own one controller, you can't even try the game. I had to dig out my 2nd controller and sync it up just so I could see the actual game in action... and even then I didn't get to play against an actual opponent.

I did get to try out the controls, and as I feared, it's very difficult to pull off special moves with the 360 controller. I had a bit better success using the analog stick than the d=pad, but neither option was all that responsive.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 11:28:24 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on November 26, 2008, 09:24:22 PM

I just tried the demo and whoa, WORST DEMO EVAR. You can only play a multiplayer LOCAL match between Ryu and Ken. You can't even play single player. Meaning, if you only own one controller, you can't even try the game. I had to dig out my 2nd controller and sync it up just so I could see the actual game in action... and even then I didn't get to play against an actual opponent.

I did get to try out the controls, and as I feared, it's very difficult to pull off special moves with the 360 controller. I had a bit better success using the analog stick than the d=pad, but neither option was all that responsive.

I was so angry about the demo limitations, I'm not buying the game. 

You not only need another controller, you need another ID on the machine.  So annoying.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 01:08:46 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 26, 2008, 11:28:24 PM

You not only need another controller, you need another ID on the machine.  So annoying.

what do you really need a demo for on this game anyway? you either like street fighter, or you don't slywink  Check the videos Ron has for download here and it shows how nice the graphic update is.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 03:32:29 AM »

Holy shit.

This list of changes is incredible.  The amount of fan input the developers sought is really something.  I was starting to think I wanted to just wait for SFIV, but now I'm buying SSFIITHDR this weekend as long as I can find one of those Hori sticks.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 03:50:41 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 27, 2008, 01:08:46 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 26, 2008, 11:28:24 PM

what do you really need a demo for on this game anyway? you either like street fighter, or you don't slywink  Check the videos Ron has for download here and it shows how nice the graphic update is.

For me personally, I just wanted to see if it controlled okay with the 360 controller.... I can't say I was satisfied with it, but I still may pull the trigger on it anyway.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2008, 07:03:14 AM »

The demo limits were fucking stupid, but whatever.  I'll buy it when I am back from T-day.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 04:26:24 PM »

Frustrating that I'm having the same problems I had when SFIIHF came out on Live.  I can play exactly one ranked match, then it refuses to find another until I exit the game and come back.  This happened when the last one came out, then they patched and I was fine.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2008, 03:13:22 AM »

I bit the bullet and bought this today. Played a few random MP games tonight and it was lag-free perfect for me. Controlling the game with the 360 d-pad is still frustrating, but it's infinitely better than it was for SFII. I'm up for a game anytime I'm online over the next few days.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2008, 03:40:35 PM »

I haven't played this updated version before... how do you execute one of your "super" moves?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2008, 05:48:51 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on November 28, 2008, 03:40:35 PM

I haven't played this updated version before... how do you execute one of your "super" moves?

just pause and look at the move list, or check online.  Each character has a command input for super moves, and for most characters it's basically double the motion then the button press of the move the super resembles most.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2008, 07:32:39 PM »

Wow - I didn't think anyone could ever compete with War World's 45-second demo, but this is pretty close.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 03:25:42 PM »

Finally broke down and got this late last night.  Holy hell does it look gorgeous on the big screen.  I still remember in the 90s making special trips to arcades that had SFII on big screen projectors and now Average Joes have screens that size in their own homes.

They did such a great job on the HD update, as well as with the music upgrade: it still looks and feels like the game I remember from 15 years ago.

The 360 d-pad is unusable for me as I expected, but I think can muddle by decently enough with the analog stick.  I can't chain shoryukens like I could back in the day, but all signs are pointing to Santa delivering a Hori Arcade Stick so hopefully I'll be back to old form in no-time.

It's a shame this didn't get released away from the big holiday rush so it could get more attention.  This seems like the perfect "final version" iteration of SFII, and it's a great prelude to SFIV.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2008, 05:40:42 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 08, 2008, 03:25:42 PM

The 360 d-pad is unusable for me as I expected, but I think can muddle by decently enough with the analog stick.  I can't chain shoryukens like I could back in the day, but all signs are pointing to Santa delivering a Hori Arcade Stick so hopefully I'll be back to old form in no-time.

Yeah, the d-pad is a joke, and the analog stick just is wrong for this game. Where'd you get your Hori stick from anyway? I might just have to purchase one just for this and SFIV...

Random question - why can't you just plug in a USB joystick and use that? I used to be able to kick all kinds of ass with the SNES pad, and I have a USB converter for it... biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 05:44:42 PM »

I've now played almost 100 online matches... with the D-pad.  crybaby

I mostly use characters where I don't have to make dragon punch motions and I'm getting off most of my special moves. Definitely limiting, but the game is so purty and fun that I can't stop playing. And, truth be told, the d-pad works much better than it did in the first XBLA SF, though it still is stiff and much less responsive than I'd prefer.

I won't be buying a joystick because I never played the game in an arcade so I'm not accustomed to using a joystick with the game. I just want a d-pad that works!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 05:46:21 PM by Captain Caveman » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 06:25:49 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 08, 2008, 05:40:42 PM

Where'd you get your Hori stick from anyway? I might just have to purchase one just for this and SFIV...

Newegg had the best price when I was shopping around online a week or so ago.

I'm especially excited about the Hori EX 2 because of how easy it is to mod.  I'll soon be ordering the parts to do this sort of upgrade to make the stick even more like the arcade controls I grew up with.  I'll be changing it from a square gate to an octagonal gate, and I'll switch the ball top to the American bat style.  I think I'll leave the buttons alone; in their case think I prefer the convex JP style over the concave American style. 

Start with this stick:

End up with this:

Ah, the memories.

No idea on the feasibility of a USB'd SNES pad, but I'm skeptical that Microsoft would make that route very easy.

Quote from: Captain Caveman on December 08, 2008, 05:44:42 PM

I won't be buying a joystick because I never played the game in an arcade so I'm not accustomed to using a joystick with the game. I just want a d-pad that works!

Have you seen the control pads they're making for SFIV?
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 06:31:28 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 08, 2008, 06:25:49 PM

Daddy want!

Is that out or is it going to be released with SF4?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2008, 07:04:07 PM »

I just bought two more sticks from ebay for $32 and $34.  I might be able to part with one or possibly both of them.   ninja
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2008, 08:23:45 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 08, 2008, 07:04:07 PM

I just bought two more sticks from ebay for $32 and $34.  I might be able to part with one or possibly both of them.   ninja

What stick? I might be interested.

And I'm not sure what to think with those SFIV pads - I can't tell if the d-pad would be good or not.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2008, 08:24:49 PM »

Oh by the way, anyone with even just a Silver account can play SSFIITHDR online multiplayer for the rest of the month (if you own the game).
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2008, 02:31:31 PM »

Is there some way to look up your ranking or stats online?  I dabbled in rank matches for the first time last night.  With sweaty palms of nervousness I actually came out on top for my first few fights.  What a rush! 

In the olden days I only played against the CPU in arcades or against my friends on the SNES (if a 2nd player joined my machine in the arcades it generally meant I was a minute away from finding a new game to play) so being able to beat strangers ranked matches when they're playing for keeps is a great feeling.  I think I probably broke even on my W/L ratio for the evening.

Another question: What's the etiquette on character selection in the unranked rooms?  I mainly want to hone my Chun Li skills, but it seems like people change their character selection nearly every round in the spirit of "hey we're just having fun."  I take it I should be doing the same?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2008, 02:36:14 PM »

http://www.streetfighter.com/flash/#/sfhd/gamercards/
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2008, 02:38:13 PM »

A lot of people in player matches just use the random selection.  Doesn't mean you have to though.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2008, 02:56:37 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 18, 2008, 02:36:14 PM

Thanks!  Odd, I could've sworn I played more than 6 matches.  Shame the stat system isn't as robust as CoD or other games; it'd be great to see a breakdown of how I do against each character.

Watch out, though, Hark.  I'm already only 21,084 ranks behind your Vega.  Who knows how much my rank will shoot up once I hit a three to four K:D ratio!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2008, 03:04:12 PM »

heh, notice that akuma is missing and all ehonda stats seem blank.

I wish they would fix the losses from disconnects though. frown  I have only lost about 10 matches with Vega and have 30 losses due to disconnects.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2008, 03:06:57 PM »

also keep in mind that the ratings are currently messed up.  My rating is 0 as are about a few thousand other people.  Something broke in the system last week and many people aren't gaining ranks.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2008, 06:04:23 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 08, 2008, 07:04:07 PM

If you throw in the cost of SFIITHDR, I might be interested.  slywink

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2008, 06:33:58 PM »

pfft, I'm not paying someone else to play a game.  ninja
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: