http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 12:21:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Smash Brothers Brawl Impressions  (Read 7451 times)
shon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2008, 04:44:42 AM »

Well since I couldn't fight online, although I could watch and bet, I was playing a lot of the single player and boy is there a lot.  I have 1 event left to go and I don't think I can pass it.

It is level 14 the pikmin stage where you have to keep you pikmin alive until they turn into flowers.  I am also playing on easy and there ain't nothing easy about it..  I have tried about 12 times and it's a no go. 
Anyone else having problems.

Also I was playing the adventure mode and got to a place where I have to jump up to a platform the goes down with your weight and jump to another one.  Well with Link it is very very hard to get the timing right.
Somehow I got Kirby to be the second player and wouldn't you know it I finally made the jump but it teleported him to where I was and I couldn't make the second jump.  Tried for 15 minitues and finally gave up will have to use another character...

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2008, 05:15:45 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 10, 2008, 01:46:06 AM

Quote from: depward on March 09, 2008, 11:13:46 PM

Perhaps you have to play that friend in order for you to send media..?  Thats the only thing I can think of.

My brother and I registered each other and I was able to send a level to him without having played a game with each other first.

AND I HAVE THE FINAL ANSWER TO THE WEIRDNESS!

To play with friends in Brawl, you gotta register their Brawl FC.  The 12-digit code.

If you're Wii friends with someone (normal 16-digit code), and Brawl friends, you can share levels, replays, etc.

TheMissingLink on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2008, 05:39:06 AM »

ok, finally got to play a couple of hours and I have to say I'm firmly entrenched in the WTF camp.  I'm not hating it, but I'm not loving it either-  it's just an odd game...  I tried the Subspace Emissary and it's definitely different from what I was expecting.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2008, 01:47:27 PM »

SSB # 4983-4608-7319

As a SSB newbie, I highly recommend going through the Subspace Emissary to get your legs.  Besides being a great way to learn one character at a time, the huge number of great cutscenes are worth the price of admission alone.  What a great way to give SSB single player fun.  After throwing ~4 hours into the SSE I'm only about a third of the way through.  Great great addition.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2008, 02:14:29 PM »

Oh yeah, and the "Smash 101" primer at the Smash Bros Dojo fansite is very helpful if you're a SSB newbie like me.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2008, 03:32:39 PM »

So what do you guys think of the graphics? Melee was a pretty nice looking cube game. Do you think Brawl looks noticeably better?

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2008, 03:51:43 PM »

Sweet, I didn't know about the options to have the game auto-handicap, or to have it auto-rotate between more than four people.  Yesterday, me and one other guy who is a gamer were consistently beating the non-gamers, but they didn't want us to handicap ourselves.  However, if the game was doing it automatically, I don't think they'd notice.  That could work nicely to quietly even things up, and I think they'd have more fun if they won more frequently.

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2008, 04:03:26 PM »

Liking this one so far.  Played a lot of SP and went a few rounds with Zaxxon.  I couldn't connect to any random pick-up matches, but was able to watch in spectator mode.  Being able to bet on the outcome in spectator mode is a nice touch.

Here's my code:2019-9332-9269    I'll add everyone who has listed their's to my friend list this evening.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2008, 06:36:16 PM »

Quote from: JCC on March 10, 2008, 03:32:39 PM

So what do you guys think of the graphics? Melee was a pretty nice looking cube game. Do you think Brawl looks noticeably better?

Yes. The game runs smoother and every character has a lot more animation to them. Most of it you'll never notice either unless you pause the game and zoom in as if you're taking a snapshot.

But yes, I say that Brawl looks noticeably better. And sounds it, too (I love the soundtrack!).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2008, 06:46:17 PM »

A little sloppy of a comparison, but this video gives you a general idea of the upgrade in visuals.

There's also a ton of really top notch cutscenes along the SSE storyline.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2008, 01:24:23 AM »

0001 3020 4468
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2008, 02:03:18 AM »

All that have posted thus far have been added.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2008, 05:45:13 AM »

2793 0312 1944

Be gentle...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2008, 07:15:52 AM »

OK, so I've changed the Wii-mote-Nunchuk controls a bit (it does have motion sensing for the Smash moves  thumbsup) and played a few games of Classic and it's growing on me.  the game seems to be pretty arbitrary at times though-  after finishing Classic I was fighting Marth, and  he had 150% damage against my 75% and somehow he managed to knock me out  saywhat

Because I can,
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2008, 07:48:48 AM »

Who were you playing as, CeeKay?  You were most likely playing as a lightweight (you did mention you liked Meta-Knight in the other thread), and they can fly sooner then the heavier characters....

TheMissingLink on PSN
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2008, 10:27:36 AM »

Argh, I'm so torn on getting this.

I like the game, I think it's a great party game at its core that then takes it a step further with a lot of fighting game depth on top.  I didn't really play previous iterations, so I'm not that good at the game, but I'm definitely willing to learn, probably as Snake or Sonic (just because Snake is Snake, and I appreciate the irony of Sonic being in a Nintendo game).

I think it's just a matter of, who do I play this with?  How's the online mode.  If I added all of you to my wii friend code list, how easy would it be to jump into a game with you guys?  Would I see a list of people playing?  Invites?  etc...

There's also my friends on campus, but we're usually too busy to play.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2008, 03:04:06 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on March 11, 2008, 07:48:48 AM

Who were you playing as, CeeKay?  You were most likely playing as a lightweight (you did mention you liked Meta-Knight in the other thread), and they can fly sooner then the heavier characters....

I was playing Meta Knight in that fight.  Maybe he just pulled off some special move but whatever he did hit me and the 'GAME' caption popped up almost immediately.

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2008, 06:25:40 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on March 11, 2008, 10:27:36 AM

I like the game, I think it's a great party game at its core that then takes it a step further with a lot of fighting game depth on top.  I didn't really play previous iterations, so I'm not that good at the game, but I'm definitely willing to learn, probably as Snake or Sonic (just because Snake is Snake, and I appreciate the irony of Sonic being in a Nintendo game).

I think it's just a matter of, who do I play this with?  How's the online mode.  If I added all of you to my wii friend code list, how easy would it be to jump into a game with you guys?  Would I see a list of people playing?  Invites?  etc...

There's plenty to unlock in solo play too.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2008, 06:37:35 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on March 11, 2008, 06:25:40 PM

So true, the solo play is far better than any of the previous Super Smash games and any other fighting game I've played for that matter. The gameplay is fantastic and the cut scenes are outstanding. In fact as I play it I find myself regretting that Namco didn't make the adventure mode in Soul Calibur II as good.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2008, 07:52:55 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on March 11, 2008, 06:37:35 PM

So true, the solo play is far better than any of the previous Super Smash games and any other fighting game I've played for that matter. The gameplay is fantastic and the cut scenes are outstanding. In fact as I play it I find myself regretting that Namco didn't make the adventure mode in Soul Calibur II as good.

SCII Adventure mode (or Weapons Master mode or something) was great.  It really only lacked the cutscenes.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2008, 08:10:03 PM »

I never really played Smash Brothers before.  I had rented the GC version once but didn't know what was going on.

With all the hype I picked it up and have put about 13 hours into it.

I love the adventure mode it may be a little repetitive but since all you do is fight how can it not be.  But since the fighting is fun and you do fight with all of the chars it really is good for newbies.

I still haven't been able to connect to play others but the CPU is very good.  There is just so much in this game to unlock and see I am really happy. 

Last night I played from 6 till 11:30 straight I haven't done that with a game in a long while.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2008, 08:26:59 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 11, 2008, 07:52:55 PM

Quote from: kronovan on March 11, 2008, 06:37:35 PM

SCII Adventure mode (or Weapons Master mode or something) was great.  It really only lacked the cutscenes.

True, but it's the cut scenes that make all the difference, being able to watch them as opposed to reading some cryptic text is a much better experience. Also IIRC, in SCII you had to cover the same ground in the weapon master adventure more than once; i.e. you completed it once and then had to go back over the same ground again. I seem to remember the whole adventure mode being quite repetitive as a result of it.

Anyhow...just glad that Big N's made the extra effort to deliver a really great SP experience. smile
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 08:32:42 PM by kronovan » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2008, 08:35:18 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on March 11, 2008, 08:26:59 PM

Anyhow...just glad that Big N's made the extra effort to deliver a really great SP experience. smile

Yeah, I'm surprised the reviews seem to be bashing the SSE mode so much.  I've really enjoyed it so far.  My only real complaint is that it seems shorter than it led me to believe.  The progress % looks like it corresponds to your SSE collection completion, not your story completion.  I thought I was only 50% done but I think I'm nearing the end.

Exceptional music in the game, too, btw.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2008, 08:53:39 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 11, 2008, 08:35:18 PM

Quote from: kronovan on March 11, 2008, 08:26:59 PM

The progress % looks like it corresponds to your SSE collection completion, not your story completion.  I thought I was only 50% done but I think I'm nearing the end.

Oooh, I did not know that.

I miss some of the stuff that was in Adventure mode in Melee, but honestly, SSE has surpassed my expectations.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2008, 11:51:01 PM »

As far as Adventure mode goes - the percentage complete is just Adventure mode, nothing more. Let's just say the story is a bit longer than you think...

And BTW - if you miss the 'adventure' mode that was in Melee, just go to Solo play and select the Classic mode on the left. That's where the rest of the game is hidden away (the 1-1 fights, the goofy multi-man fights, Break the Target mode, etc) as far as an arcade type mode is for the game. Also, in the other choices under Solo mode, you'll find the batting practice mode as well.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
depward

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2008, 07:08:01 AM »

Online was completely down tonight - couldn't even connect to get online and check my friend's list.  Uuuugh...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2008, 07:16:19 AM »

ok, after a bit more play the game seems to be a bit too arbitrary in the KO department for my tastes.  I had the same situation happen to me that I mentioned above, and it's irritating enough that I think the game is going in for trade.

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2008, 09:31:15 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 12, 2008, 07:16:19 AM

ok, after a bit more play the game seems to be a bit too arbitrary in the KO department for my tastes.  I had the same situation happen to me that I mentioned above, and it's irritating enough that I think the game is going in for trade.

huh? You know the numbers at the bottom are your damage right? The larger those numbers the more distance you fly. It's not some random number generator at work here.
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2008, 12:17:11 PM »

Yeah, there's no randomness going on.  Your damage % affects the distance, as does the Regular/B/Smash/Final attack choice.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2008, 01:31:04 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 11, 2008, 11:51:01 PM

As far as Adventure mode goes - the percentage complete is just Adventure mode, nothing more. Let's just say the story is a bit longer than you think...

Is the "bit longer" referring to the last level?  Because I just got to it and my god what were they thinking?  The whole way through the SSE you've got a charming little formula of 3-5 minute chunks of combat divided by delightful cutscene rewards.  Then....the last level.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2008, 02:30:20 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 12, 2008, 01:31:04 PM

Is the "bit longer" referring to the last level?  Because I just got to it and my god what were they thinking?  The whole way through the SSE you've got a charming little formula of 3-5 minute chunks of combat divided by delightful cutscene rewards.  Then....the last level.

Yeah...that's what I meant. Thankfully it's not too difficult (you always have 4 characters and there's a lot of save points scattered around where you can get your crew 'raised' to use them again), but it sure takes a while.

Fun little tidbit - as you unlock the secret characters, take a quick look at the first 5 seconds of the intro. It'll change to show everybody you have. biggrin
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 02:32:29 PM by Destructor » Logged

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2008, 02:41:35 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 12, 2008, 02:30:20 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on March 12, 2008, 01:31:04 PM

Yeah...that's what I meant. Thankfully it's not too difficult (you always have 4 characters and there's a lot of save points scattered around where you can get your crew 'raised' to use them again), but it sure takes a while.

They really should've had the SSE officially end before that level, and then open it up as a sort of bonus campaign or post-SSE challenge.  It's not like the level is completely devoid of fun; it's just that it's such a departure from the pacing of all the preceding levels--it's almost a different game mode.

Ah well, I'm so close to unlocking those last few characters so I'll be plugging along.

In other news: I unlocked the 75m level (straight out of the original DK game) last night.  IT IS AWESOME.

I need to start transferring some of the game screenshots to my computer so I can post them here.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2008, 03:52:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 12, 2008, 07:16:19 AM

Umm, if that's the reason why you're going to trade it, I don't know.  A character that's at 100% damage percentage doesn't necessarily mean you'll send him flying with a smash.  Depends on:

a) the character getting hit - is he/she a lightweight?  A large character?
b) the type of hit he was hit with - smash? regular? b-attack?
c) where he/she is at on the stage - near the edge? Protected by some walls?

You can smash Jigglypuff at like, 40% with a character that does strong attacks.  You most likely can't smash Bowser at that percentage.

I think trading it in due to this issue is weird, but whatevs man - you do what you want to    thumbsup

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2008, 04:00:31 PM »

Quote from: depward on March 12, 2008, 03:52:12 PM

b) the type of hit he was hit with - smash? regular? b-attack?
Don't forget items like the homerun bat!

CeeKay, are you regularly jumping and flying back to the platform after you get knocked off?  If you just give up as soon as you get airborne then you're severely cutting down on your lifespan.  A big part of these games is flying, jumping, spinning, lassoing, teleporting, inhaling, rocketing or whatevering to try and get back to the platform after you get knocked off.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2008, 06:32:07 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 12, 2008, 02:41:35 PM

I need to start transferring some of the game screenshots to my computer so I can post them here.

Fancy you said that - I was just going to post/upload the files needed to do it so everybody can.

1) Stick a SD card into the Wii.
2) Save screenshots to the SD card.
3) Put SD card in computer and download the program attached.
4) On the SD card, surf to /private/wii/app/RSBE/al
5) Drag and drop all the files into whatever folder you extracted the zip file attached.
6) Run the bin2jpgall.bat file.
7) Profit! biggrin

One small glitch - if your game is set to widescreen, the shots will come out compressed (as the game only saves them as 640x480 images). Just stretch out the horizontal length by 133% and it'll turn out normal again.

For fun, attached is a pic of the Landmaster doing some redecorating of the Great Fox.

EDIT: Today seems to be the first day that the full set of online features goes live. If you connect to the WiFi thingy, you'll get the screenshot of the day, the replay of the day, and the custom stage of the day. All will be nuked (and there's not a damn thing you can do about it) tomorrow.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 06:36:08 PM by Destructor » Logged

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2008, 06:51:27 PM »

I've gotten the screenie/replay/custom stage for a couple of days now - the replays are pretty impressive.

And while I don't have an SD card, I just went old school and took a picture of a picture biggrin

Yes, Wario (via the Wario assist trophy) is pounding me down into the ground while some Animal Crossing resident laughs at me in the background.  I thought it was amusing biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2008, 06:59:08 PM »

(Waluigi)
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2008, 07:02:14 PM »

WHOOPS, yes, Waluigi biggrin  Who I wish was a playable characters (I use him in Mario Party)...

TheMissingLink on PSN
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2008, 07:31:59 PM »

I just really really wish Megaman had made it in.

Anyone had any luck getting significant others interested in the game?  My wife likes the cutscenes, seeing people get knocked into the monster's mouth on the Pikmin stage, and Pikachu's death scream, but I can't get her to want to pick up a controller and join in, even for co-op.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2008, 07:42:07 PM »

My girlfriend is coming home for spring break in a week and I hope to show her the greatness biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: