http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 06:28:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Mario Galaxy impressions  (Read 8449 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2007, 09:02:04 AM »

My friend and I had our SMG "marathon" today starting at about noon and lost steam by about 6PM, getting us nearly 30 stars in. The game was pretty impressive early on but there are some camera and control issues that have been getting on my nerves. While I am loving the unique level design and admire the variety, as well as the awesome platforming segments, overall the planets are too small and don't leave much room in the way of exploration. You can access every part of almost any given world in a matter of minutes! This is the same complaint I had for Ratchet & Clank, I would have preferred less planets that were longer and more fleshed out. Also, the camera can flat out suck at times, but for the most part it works well. The controls, like the camera, has it's crappy moments, but overall is spot-on.

So far I am enjoying the game, though I don't feel nearly as pulled in as I was with Mario 64, it feels like something is missing somehow.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2007, 04:41:57 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 24, 2007, 09:02:04 AM

My friend and I had our SMG "marathon" today starting at about noon and lost steam by about 6PM, getting us nearly 30 stars in. The game was pretty impressive early on but there are some camera and control issues that have been getting on my nerves. While I am loving the unique level design and admire the variety, as well as the awesome platforming segments, overall the planets are too small and don't leave much room in the way of exploration. You can access every part of almost any given world in a matter of minutes! This is the same complaint I had for Ratchet & Clank, I would have preferred less planets that were longer and more fleshed out. Also, the camera can flat out suck at times, but for the most part it works well. The controls, like the camera, has it's crappy moments, but overall is spot-on.

So far I am enjoying the game, though I don't feel nearly as pulled in as I was with Mario 64, it feels like something is missing somehow.

I think the camera makes the controls look bad at times, there are moments when I get frustrated because the camera is forcing an un-natural control scheme. The rolling ball stages are a perfect example of that.

As for the planets being small, yeah they can be small, but each individual galaxy is quite large for the most part, I know on the main ones you can get over six stars, and you have to go back in to old ones to find hidden stars, which really takes some serious thinking and exploration, but you ultimately feel really rewarded for it. I have over 65 stars, and I loves this game. Played a coupld of hours this morining, it's just about as close to perfect a platforming game can be.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2007, 08:20:02 PM »

wow, here's some nice artwork for SMG:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
depward

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2007, 05:02:04 AM »

64 stars in - this game is nearly perfection.  It should beat out OOT for #1 - it's truly a special game.  Certainly my GOTY...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2007, 05:11:39 AM »

I don't know if this is my GOTY, since the Mario gameplay isn't really my favorite type of game to play. Having said that, I do think the ultra-high scores are deserving. This may be the best Mario ever. I am in the 30s in stars, and continue to have a blast in short increments. There are some really cool galaxies with tons of different places to explore. I did the first Haunted Mansion mission tonight, and thought it was quite funny. smile

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2007, 08:43:15 AM »

Decided to go ahead and complete the game at exactly 100 stars.

Wrapped everything up quite nicely - I was pleased.

Playing through that last level got me to 101 so I've got 19 more to go (then...well, won't spoil anything...).

Phenomenal experience from beginning to end.  It's a shame that those that won't work on getting every star are going to miss out on some truly terrific platforming (and yes, it gets harder...).

I have absolutely zero complaints about the game.  NONE.  It is the closest thing to a perfect game that I have ever played.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2007, 04:15:28 PM »

i stopped playing a bit because i got Uncharted, Naruto, and Ratchet from Gamefly.   But i'm gonna get back to it and eventually try to get all the stars.  Really like it alot and one of the very few games i keep from Gamefly.   I can see myself actually replaying this later down the line.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2007, 08:46:37 PM »

Honestly, this game has the best music ever.

I, ahem, found somewhere to grab the music from the game and it's amazing.  The orchestrated music is gorgeous.

TheMissingLink on PSN
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2007, 08:54:50 PM »

I rented this last night.  It's OK but not my type of game.  I just can't help thinking it would control better with a regular gamepad instead of the Wiimote/nunchuck.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
depward

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2007, 09:04:12 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 27, 2007, 08:54:50 PM

I rented this last night.  It's OK but not my type of game.  I just can't help thinking it would control better with a regular gamepad instead of the Wiimote/nunchuck.

I don't see why it would control better with a regular gamepad.  You have your analog stick for movement, your "A" button for actions, your "c" for camera re-centering, directional pad for other camera options... do you not like the little waggle you have to do to spin and such?  I think, with perhaps the 360 controller, it would control worse.

But anywho, this game is pretty much Jesus in a video game.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2007, 10:54:45 PM »

Played for a few hours last night. I think I got 6 or 7 stars. Although I am having a lot of fun and will continue to play (most likely finishing it), I can't help but feel that I don't have the same feelings about the game as most of the comments here. Maybe I just haven't hit the really good parts, or maybe it is just me, but GOTY? Not too sure about that one.

LiveTAG: happydog
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2007, 11:50:24 PM »

Quote from: happydog on November 27, 2007, 10:54:45 PM

Played for a few hours last night. I think I got 6 or 7 stars. Although I am having a lot of fun and will continue to play (most likely finishing it), I can't help but feel that I don't have the same feelings about the game as most of the comments here. Maybe I just haven't hit the really good parts, or maybe it is just me, but GOTY? Not too sure about that one.

7-8 stars in ain't nothin, the game ramps up in "holy shit" platforming sections soon enough and that's when it gets fun.

Sean Lama
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2007, 12:32:20 AM »

Quote from: happydog on November 27, 2007, 10:54:45 PM

I set a bottle of water next to my Mario Galaxy disk and the next thing I knew it was filled a pretty damn sweet White Zin.

Maybe Mario Galaxy is Jesus in video game form.   paranoid

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2007, 04:25:38 AM »

Ok, 50 stars in. Still no "holy shit" from me. Really great game that I will continue to play through to the end. But I just don't feel the desire I have with other games. For example for quite some time, I wanted to put off everything just to play Skate. With SMG I play whenever I don't have something else to do. Not my GOTY.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2007, 04:44:56 PM »

I finished the game with 120 stars over the weekend. SMG is a title where the late-game content really shines. After 80 stars I was primed to just finish the game and come in here and post about how overrated it is, but for whatever reason I decided to keep going and I'm glad I did. The last forty or so stars are some of the most challenging and fun levels I've ever played in a game.

The purple coin stages were the best part of the game for me. Melty Molten, Battlerock, and the Dreadnought all had stages that I would've swore were impossible to complete the first time I saw them. The Baron Brrr level has a "leap of faith" jump that is more satisfying than anything in Assassin's Creed. I'm still not sure how I managed to beat the Luigi's Purple Coin stage. I'm not sure what exactly made these levels so compelling, but I never became frustrated, even after dying umpteen times.

I'm not sure it's the second best game of all time or anything, but there haven't been many games where I've had such a sense of accomplishment after finishing it.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2007, 04:59:34 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on December 17, 2007, 04:44:56 PM

I finished the game with 120 stars over the weekend. SMG is a title where the late-game content really shines. After 80 stars I was primed to just finish the game and come in here and post about how overrated it is, but for whatever reason I decided to keep going and I'm glad I did. The last forty or so stars are some of the most challenging and fun levels I've ever played in a game.

That's good to hear.  I'm 25 stars in and it still feels like most stages are just demonstrations or training of a single concept.  It would really take off for me if more levels used the entire moveset instead of just being focused on using one or two moves in a themed area (ie in this one you will need to use the bee costume to get around, in this one you will need to grab the stars to move through space, etc).
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2007, 05:07:01 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 17, 2007, 04:59:34 PM

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on December 17, 2007, 04:44:56 PM

That's good to hear.  I'm 25 stars in and it still feels like most stages are just demonstrations or training of a single concept.  It would really take off for me if more levels used the entire moveset instead of just being focused on using one or two moves in a themed area (ie in this one you will need to use the bee costume to get around, in this one you will need to grab the stars to move through space, etc).

That's quite similar to how I felt when I first started playing. One of things that kept me going in the beginning were the optional levels that you had to pay star bits to a Luma to open the stage. Have you played Sweet Sweet Galaxy yet? If you liked that level, you'll like the end game stages as well.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2007, 05:12:59 PM »

still been wanting to get this,but its still sold out in all major shops in manchester here in England crybaby mad...i had to get assassins creed last week,but now i have finished that i rang up about mario again yesterday,but they still havent got any new copies in

this has never happened with any other game

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2007, 05:23:15 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on December 17, 2007, 05:07:01 PM

That's quite similar to how I felt when I first started playing. One of things that kept me going in the beginning were the optional levels that you had to pay star bits to a Luma to open the stage. Have you played Sweet Sweet Galaxy yet? If you liked that level, you'll like the end game stages as well.

Is Sweet, Sweet Galaxy the one where you are basically going across a candy conveyor with lots of star, circle, and crescent shaped holes?  Man, that one gave me fits.  If it wasn't for the 1Up near the mid level checkpoint I think I would have lots all of the 20 lives I entered the stage with.  I think it was so difficult because Mario's momentum based moveset is hard to get used to compared to other platformers that don't seem to utilize momentum as much.  I did enjoy the second "challenge" stage I opened up a lot more though. 
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2007, 05:51:59 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 17, 2007, 05:23:15 PM

Is Sweet, Sweet Galaxy the one where you are basically going across a candy conveyor with lots of star, circle, and crescent shaped holes?  Man, that one gave me fits.  If it wasn't for the 1Up near the mid level checkpoint I think I would have lots all of the 20 lives I entered the stage with.  I think it was so difficult because Mario's momentum based moveset is hard to get used to compared to other platformers that don't seem to utilize momentum as much.  I did enjoy the second "challenge" stage I opened up a lot more though. 

Yep, that's the one. The purple coin levels at the end are similar in difficulty, but you'll have an easier time (with two or three exceptions) because you'll have a lot more practice by the time you get to them.
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2007, 06:04:11 PM »

Yeah that Sweet Galaxy was lame, and so frustrating.  Also unskippable cut-scenes or dialog is lame, doubly so in a game where I could care less about the story.  It's a fairly fun game I guess, but it's got a lot of highs and lows.  Definitely creative.  It has some stupid checkpoint positions.  Overall it's enjoyable the fun just get killed now and again.  I think I like New Super Mario Brothers a lot more.

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 17, 2007, 07:02:15 PM »

After getting to just 26 stars, i've really lost all desire to proceed any further.   The art, style, and imagination is incredible.....but for me it can be really frustrating and too much replaying the same level just to get through. 

I was actually playing just a few minutes ago and shut it off after dying 8 straight times on a particular level.   I just don't have the patience i guess.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2007, 07:04:08 PM »

Quote from: QP on December 17, 2007, 06:04:11 PM

Yeah that Sweet Galaxy was lame, and so frustrating. 

I actually really liked it.  Took me about 4 tries, I think before I got it.  Challenging, but not overly so.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2007, 07:04:32 PM »

Yeah, I gave up on it too. I guess I just need a story these days to see a game the whole way through, replaying the same levels over and over again to get all the stars was a boring endeavor.

Sean Lama
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2007, 08:35:57 PM »

So here is a question for someone... What happens if you loose all your lives?

QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2007, 08:52:36 PM »

Quote from: happydog on December 17, 2007, 08:35:57 PM

So here is a question for someone... What happens if you loose all your lives?

You just go back to the hub world, and you have to attempt whatever level again (losing progress to checkpoints etc).

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2007, 11:18:39 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on December 17, 2007, 07:02:15 PM

After getting to just 26 stars, i've really lost all desire to proceed any further.   The art, style, and imagination is incredible.....but for me it can be really frustrating and too much replaying the same level just to get through. 

I was actually playing just a few minutes ago and shut it off after dying 8 straight times on a particular level.   I just don't have the patience i guess.

Really? I don't think there was any level in the game, especially around 26 stars that was any where near that frustrating. Hell even some of the optional challenge stages were easy. Add on top of that how easy it is to get up to 75 extra men I never felt frustrated. That stinks, I wish it wasn't so frustrating for you.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2007, 11:35:12 PM »

lol, guess i just stink at it and don't have patience.   

i'm gonna hold onto it and let it sit and come back to it in a few weeks after i get through some things now i've been wanting to play.   maybe it'll rekindle the desire to play and enjoy it again.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2007, 12:22:08 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on December 17, 2007, 11:18:39 PM

Quote from: Xmann on December 17, 2007, 07:02:15 PM

Really? I don't think there was any level in the game, especially around 26 stars that was any where near that frustrating. Hell even some of the optional challenge stages were easy. Add on top of that how easy it is to get up to 75 extra men I never felt frustrated. That stinks, I wish it wasn't so frustrating for you.

It's easy to get extra lives, but everytime you quit you're back to the minimum.  It is helpfully to get 5 lives from Peach each time you start and there are a bunch of 1-Ups scattered around the main hub, but I was supremely frustrated the first time I started agian and saw what had happened to all of my lives.

That said, I'm at the bedroom, and I haven't lost more than half a dozen lives trying to get through a level.  Even the challenge levels are just a little more frustrating.  I find that any time I'm ready to give up, I try once more and it clicks.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2007, 12:49:35 AM »

Is there any purpose for getting coins other than restoring your health?
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2007, 01:01:41 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 18, 2007, 12:49:35 AM

Is there any purpose for getting coins other than restoring your health?

One reason is bragging rights.  There is a way to get a list of all the worlds you complete, including how many coins you collected and then send a snapshot of that to a friend.  If you have more coins, you are the r0xx0r.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2007, 02:23:34 AM »

I never bother with coins unless I need the health.  Of course, it is a bit of a downer to see "High Score = 3" at the end of the stage, but whatever.

As a side note, this game exhibits one of my gaming pet peeves: incessant, annoying beeping/buzzing when low on life.  I am fully aware that I am low on life.  I saw myself get hit, and I generally watch the health meter when that happens.  I am currently in an area where there are neither enemies threatening me, nor items available that will increase my health.  Thus, I have no way to remedy the situation that your incredibly annoying noise is alerting me to.  I have no real need to find a health pickup, other than to stop the farking buzzing.  In fact, throwing myself off a cliff and replaying the level up to this point, sans annoying noise, is starting to look like a promising alternative.

Stop with the "low health" beeping.  I hates it.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 25, 2007, 01:54:23 PM »

Well, got this for christmas.  I loved Mario 64, hated Super Mario Sunshine.  Well, lets just say after about 2 hours of playtime I am ready to return the game for something else.  The camera is driving me nuts, it is never looking where I need it, the low health beeping annoys the dickens out of me because I am constantly at low health thanks to the camera which makes judging depth a pain in the ass so I end up spinning too far away from the enemies and then they touch me and take away health.  I am sure I will go back and try it a few more times, but so far I just don't like it at all.
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: December 25, 2007, 11:28:58 PM »

I didn't read all the responses as I didn't want spoilers, but I got this today and spent about 30 minutes with it.

Does anyone get motion sickness with it? My GOD. Running around with that upside down cam was ok while I played, but after stopping 2 hours ago, I've been all f'ed up.

Make it stop!!!!

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 27, 2008, 05:39:28 AM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on December 17, 2007, 05:51:59 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 17, 2007, 05:23:15 PM

Yep, that's the one. The purple coin levels at the end are similar in difficulty, but you'll have an easier time (with two or three exceptions) because you'll have a lot more practice by the time you get to them.

just finished sweet sweet (after dying maybe 2 dozen times), &, as someone who hated super mario sunshine, i feel like i've already gotten my money's worth from this game: smg is just plain brilliant...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 31, 2008, 03:04:15 AM »

update: 44 stars, & still enjoying the game immensely...

Quote from: Chaz on December 18, 2007, 02:23:34 AM

Stop with the "low health" beeping.  I hates it.

agreed (& it's so goddam loud)...

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 18, 2007, 12:22:08 AM

I try once more and it clicks.

likewise (tho i've passed on most of the 'comet' missions - i know my limits)...

worth buying a wii for? not sure, tho personally, along with zack & wiki & no more heroes, worth it to me. smg has to be the ultimate 'getting comfortable with the new controllers' title, tho smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 31, 2008, 06:05:24 PM »

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but I played Super Mario Sunshine and got far less than 120 shines and got out of there.  I probably couldn't have gotten all 120 anyway.  Super Mario Galaxy made me want to get all 120 and I did.  Getting them was easier than Sunshine, but getting them all was by no means easy.

I think what I liked most about Galaxy was, because of the gravity, you could make mistakes and still recover, which meant you were willing to be a little more adventurous.  For example, you could blind jump off the side of a planet knowing it was unlikely you were heading for insta-death.  Not having to repeat things over and over = more fun IMHO.

And the
Spoiler for Hiden:
Toytime Robot
was one of the most fun platform levels I've ever played.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 04:24:26 PM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 31, 2008, 06:18:09 PM »

Yeah, Teggy, that was a FUN level.

TheMissingLink on PSN
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 06, 2008, 04:51:47 AM »

didn't think i'd manage it, but finally nailed bowser for good (took 2 tries & about 15 minutes, after spending over an hour just getting to'm smile ). very, very impressed with the game, & will definitely be dropping by to get another star or 2 (got 67)...

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2008, 05:18:41 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on February 06, 2008, 04:51:47 AM

didn't think i'd manage it, but finally nailed bowser for good

or at least until the next Super Mario game  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: