http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 04:28:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Mario 64 vs. Super Mario Sunshine - Fight!  (Read 1118 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2005, 02:40:35 PM »

So now that I'm getting a GameCube I'm starting to look at older titles that I can pick up on the cheap.  One that seems like a no-brainer is Super Mario Sunshine for $20.  I enjoyed the heck out of Super Mario 64 when it came out.

But Super Mario Sunshine seems to get little respect for some reason.  Why is that?  I know Mario 64 has a special place in peoples' hearts and no other Mario game can compete but is Mario Sunshine really that much worse?
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 02:51:57 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
But Super Mario Sunshine seems to get little respect for some reason.  Why is that?  I know Mario 64 has a special place in peoples' hearts and no other Mario game can compete but is Mario Sunshine really that much worse?

I think the big reason is that in many people's minds Sunshine did not revolutionize itself from Mario 64.  I think many people were looking for a big difference in play mechanics between 64 and Sunshine and didn't find them.

I personally thought Sunshine was great, but I am in the minority on this it seems.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 03:51:38 PM »

I am one that loved SM64, but Sunshine didn't hold a candle to it.  Maybe it was the location, I don't know.  I know that the "old school" platform levels were no fun and some were frustratingly hard.  Whatever it was, I never finished Sunhshine and it went up on ebay.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 04:10:26 PM »

I loved SM64 and I collected every single star in that game.

I also beat Mario Sunshine, however I did not collect every single item in the game. Why? The game was really good, but it didn't have that sense of new and wonder that 64 had.

Sunshine is basically 64 with newer graphics and more powerups. The storyline in sunshine is a bit better because sunshine actually has one. Overall if sunshine had come out before 64 I think most people would like sunshine better, but as it is, it was just more of the same. Which is not a bad thing. If you like 64 then you should like sunshine, especially at $20.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 05:13:26 PM »

I never played M64 until it came out on the DS, so essentially I played Sunshine first.  I really enjoyed Sunshine, but M64 is clearly the better game.  I beat Sunshine, but not without some grumbling.  And I never went back and  got the second set of stars in the platforming caves.  Those things were a nightmare (though I liked the accapella old school music).  I also think the whole jet pack/industrial cleaner control scheme left a little something to be desired (slightly awkward).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 05:21:07 PM »

Sunshine to me, was Mario 64-2, it look like it started out on the 64 and was going to be a 64 game and they moved it to the Cube.

I think it was a lot of fun, and most people I know like the hardcore platforming sections more so than the rest of the game.

I don't think Sunshine doesn't get respect, it just doesn't get put up there with the game that standardized 3d console gaming, Mario 64. It's great game, but don't expect that Wow factor, and rightfully it shouldn't be compared to game like that, hell no game should really be.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 05:21:51 PM »

Man, I freaking loved the cave levels - thought they were the best part of the game. What I didn't like about Sunshine is that the good levels seemed to be the first two or three, and after that, the level design kinda went down hill. I loved the gameplay mechanics - bouncing around was so well done, so tight - but yeah, I think the actual levels went down hill, instead of becoming more impressive and more daunting as you progressed. Ah, if only the worlds had mirrored the increasing complexity, creativity, and difficulty of the cave areas - I think that would have made me a happy boy.

Sunshine's still a very fun game, and a must if you enjoy platformers. I can't wait to see what the hell Mario 128 is all about.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 06:19:08 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
I know Mario 64 has a special place in peoples' hearts and no other Mario game can compete but is Mario Sunshine really that much worse?
Yeah, Sunshine is that much worse.

Level design is significantly worse.  The entire firehose/jetpack mechanic is just overwrought and grates on your nerves.  And the difficulty curve is astronomically higher than M64.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 06:40:37 PM »

I loved Mario sunchine, and am not a big fan of 64. Give sunshine a try, you may like it. Lots of people did. I liked the change from the older locations, and one thing I really liked was the music for the older platforming parts. Anyone else like those parts? They were incredible to me.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 07:06:08 PM »

Sunshine was great.  People seemed to have gotten hung up on the fact that it wasn't as revolutionary as Mario 64 at the time, but it's still a pretty darn fun little game.  For $20, it's probably a no-brainer.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2005, 04:19:10 AM »

and one thing I really liked was the music for the older platforming parts. Anyone else like those parts?

Um, yeah.  That's why I said:

I liked the accapella old school music

Maybe the parentheseseses threw you off.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: