http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 10:01:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Mario 64 DS - which control scheme?  (Read 912 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2005, 10:55:12 PM »

I've been playing Mario 64 DS (never played the original) and I've been struggling with the controls.  I'm using the touch screen mode using my thumb and the DS strap.  I initially tried two handed mode and didn't like it and completely skipped analog mode.  Which mode have other people used?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 10:58:25 PM »

I've used the default mode with the gamepad and buttons. It isn't perfect, but I find the "momentum" based system works suprisingly well. My brief dabblings with the touch screen didn't work too well.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 11:33:42 PM »

Same as JCC.  The other two modes were weird.  Unfortunately none of them feel natural to me and I had a devil of a time on the "get to the bottom of the slide without falling off" level.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 01:04:32 AM »

ok, I'll have to give it a shot.  It seems the game was meant to have analog controls, but maybe the touchscreen just isn't ideal for it.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 01:17:52 AM »

Quote from: "Teggy"
ok, I'll have to give it a shot.  It seems the game was meant to have analog controls, but maybe the touchscreen just isn't ideal for it.

Yeah I have a time with it after experiencing the goodness of Mario 64 on the N64 back in the day.  The analog stick really made things easy to control more so than the d-pad!

But you'll get used to the DS d-pad and start controlling whomever easily   smile

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 01:28:04 AM »

Quote from: "depward"

But you'll get used to the DS d-pad and start controlling whomever easily   smile

You know, that's one of my little nitpicks with the game. I wish they had at least offered you to play the game in "classic mode" where you play as Mario the whoe time.  I never had an N64, so I kind of wish I could experience the original version.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 10:22:26 PM »

I came back to this game a week or two ago and gave it another shot.  I couldn't deal with the d-pad controls and was doing pretty well with the touch screen until I got to about 30 stars and then it became unbearable. I decided to eBay it.  Hopefully I will get to play it as it was meant on virtual console at some point.  Maybe not though - Super Mario Sunshine drove me insane and I put it down pretty quickly.  The controls are just too slippery for me on the Mario games.  I find the PS2 platformers a lot more fun (and they have better storylines as well).

depward

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 10:51:27 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 29, 2007, 10:22:26 PM

I came back to this game a week or two ago and gave it another shot.  I couldn't deal with the d-pad controls and was doing pretty well with the touch screen until I got to about 30 stars and then it became unbearable. I decided to eBay it.  Hopefully I will get to play it as it was meant on virtual console at some point.  Maybe not though - Super Mario Sunshine drove me insane and I put it down pretty quickly.  The controls are just too slippery for me on the Mario games.  I find the PS2 platformers a lot more fun (and they have better storylines as well).
Super Mario 64 for the VC played on the classic controller is leaps and bounds better than the DS version and nearly CLOSE to the level of control you had for the N64 version.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: