http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 07:02:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Are you camping out for the Xbox 360 on the 18th?  (Voting closed: December 17, 2005, 03:27:51 PM)
Yes - 6 (18.8%)
No - 26 (81.3%)
Total Voters: 32

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sunday th 18th: Camping Out? When?  (Read 8819 times)
Sparhawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2005, 03:27:51 PM »

I'm thinking about camping out for the Xbox 360 this Sunday (obviously starting tonight) and was curious as to who will be joining me. I learned from my previous adventures in the world of camping out that it is better to have friends who will bring you food and coffee through the night.

I have friends.

I want coffee.

And I am damn hungry.

Xbox 360: You're mine, bitch.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 03:46:19 PM »

My actual response is "Fuck no!" but you don't have that as an option.  frown

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 04:31:23 PM »

From here on out, "Fuck No" replaces "No."

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 04:42:39 PM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
I'm thinking about camping out for the Xbox 360 this Sunday (obviously starting tonight) and was curious as to who will be joining me. I learned from my previous adventures in the world of camping out that it is better to have friends who will bring you food and coffee through the night.

I have friends.

I want coffee.

And I am damn hungry.

Good luck man!

Camping out for a system is now becoming a gamer right of passage. I earned my stripes during the PS2 shortage. It's something that it's kind of neat to do once, just to say you did it and for the memory of it....but you never really want to do it again.

To all the campers out there....stay warm!

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 04:57:04 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"

I have friends.

I want coffee.

And I am damn hungry.

Good luck man!

Camping out for a system is now becoming a gamer right of passage. I earned my stripes during the PS2 shortage. It's something that it's kind of neat to do once, just to say you did it and for the memory of it....but you never really want to do it again.

To all the campers out there....stay warm!

Will do!

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 05:09:30 PM »

I'm gonna get up at 4am for MSduncan, Hope to get one too. I'll bring some coffee my DS and be bundled up real warm.

Side note, hopefully several of us are able to help out other GTers or OOers who need machines, in the even that someone else can get one to MSduncan for less shipping I will definately make sure that someone here can get the machine from me.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005, 05:22:56 PM »

I was thinking about getting to my BB at 6am for an 8am opening, but now I'm thinking 5 or 5:30 would be safer.  If the BB 2nd shipment turns out to be a well crafted ruse, and I get out there at 5am on a Sun, I'm not going to be happy.  Actually, my biggest fear is that I camp on Sun for a 360, wait in line with 60-70 other dorks like me for 3 hours, and the following week the 360 experiences a surge in shipping and anyone can get one just by walking into stores. Bastards!
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 06:47:28 PM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"
I was thinking about getting to my BB at 6am for an 8am opening, but now I'm thinking 5 or 5:30 would be safer.  If the BB 2nd shipment turns out to be a well crafted ruse, and I get out there at 5am on a Sun, I'm not going to be happy.  Actually, my biggest fear is that I camp on Sun for a 360, wait in line with 60-70 other dorks like me for 3 hours, and the following week the 360 experiences a surge in shipping and anyone can get one just by walking into stores. Bastards!

If this is all one big ruse, then I'll be pissed. Really pissed!

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 06:50:33 PM »

The whole 'get one by walking into stores' is SO not gonna happen anytime soon. Trust me.

And for all of you who are gonna be camping out, I give you this suggestion - make a pass by your local BB during the day today and/or later tonight, just to get an idea of how many people are there already. Make sure you know how many consoles they're going to have as well (for obvious reasons).

Something tells me that BB will start to get a line in front of it somewhat soon...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 07:05:16 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

The whole 'get one by walking into stores' is SO not gonna happen anytime soon. Trust me.

And for all of you who are gonna be camping out, I give you this suggestion - make a pass by your local BB during the day today and/or later tonight, just to get an idea of how many people are there already. Make sure you know how many consoles they're going to have as well (for obvious reasons).

Something tells me that BB will start to get a line in front of it somewhat soon...

Once I finish my 100th cup o coffee, I'll be getting dressed heading down to BB to check out the current situation. I'm feeling a little lazy right now, jittery, but lazy.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2005, 07:12:44 PM »

I drove by my Sam's this morning and got their 5 minutes after they opened only to see the last one being handed over the counter.  Shite!   I then went by Best Buy to see what time they opened tomorrow for sure and guess what?  That's right- there were already three people in sleeping bags out front 24 hours before they open with 360's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, good luck if you think you will get one by showing up at 4 or 5 THAT morning.  Won't happen.

Edit: Oh, and no way will I be camping out.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2005, 07:20:35 PM »

OMG, that is so, so true!

Do what I forgot to do last time... if you have one, bring a laptop with wireless - Best Buy likely has a useable signal.  On launch day when I was scoping out the mall at 1 PM (one guy was in line at Target, btw)... I could get a barely useable signal from Best Buy - while in the Target coffee shop.  I suspect the waiting line will be a good place to connect.  Then you can give us a play-by-play! (Until they close at least)

For launch day, the line at BB started around 6 or 7 PM - and had a dozen people in it by 7:30.  Hope that helps all you wanna-gets!  Tongue

EDIT to add:  I didn't vote because there was no choice for - "I don't think so, but I'm crazy enought to still be considering it" - it's only time and pain, after all.  AND I can hardly get to my 360 since someone else discovered Zuma on it (no, that's not me playing it!)...

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2005, 07:38:57 PM »

From here on out, "Fuck No" replaces "No."

You're the bestest Sparhawk!  :wink:

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2005, 08:16:59 PM »

Quick update - according to my brother, there are a dozen or so people camping out infront of my local Best Buy as of 1:15PM MST. Apparently the 'secret' of BB getting a bunch of consoles for tomorrow is anything but.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2005, 08:36:37 PM »

i'm not really planning to "camp out" tomorrow, but i will show up early with hopes of getting my hands on one.  if i get there around 6am and the line looks too long to get one of the 28 units they're supposed to have, i'll probably just head for home and pick one up after christmas...after taking a spin by the stores on the other side of town.  there arethree BBs within fifteen minutes of where i live, and supposedly a total of 90 systems between them all...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2005, 09:28:12 PM »

I'm excited to get a 360, but no way in hell am I getting up at 4am just so I can have the chance to play Kameo, Perfect Crap, PGR3, and CoD3 this week...

For what its worth, someone at Target mentioned they plan on getting a large shipment on the 23rd.  I'm just praying my Gamestop gets another 9 in before Christmas...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2005, 09:37:11 PM »

Just drove by my local BEst Buy, there are people with TENTS there camped out. So, I'll be eating my dinner and heading on up. Wish me luck everyone!

(If I don't get an X360 Sunday morning I'm going to cry lol. What a wasted weekend.)

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2005, 10:14:28 PM »

The way it's looking....there is no way you will be getting an XBox 360 if you show up tomorrow. You need to be in line before like 8-9PM TONIGHT. There are lines forming already. Lots of people.

My sister and her boyfriend are already on line at Best buy. They're 19th in line and the store's getting 28, so as long as they stay in line, he's getting one.

It's like launch day all over again! smile

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2005, 10:31:09 PM »

OKay, I'm going now. I have a friend who is going to be bringing me some coffee at around 10 tonight. These people stand no chance against me. I am a government worker, I have infinite patience.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2005, 11:04:22 PM »

These people stand no chance against me. I am a government worker, I have infinite patience.

ROFL

I wish you the best of luck, and may your 360 dreams come true.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2005, 11:56:39 PM »

There were about 20 people camped out outside the BestBuy this afternoon in 15 degree temps.  I don't care how neat the system is, that's just plain stupid.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2005, 11:57:09 PM »

OKay, I'm going now. I have a friend who is going to be bringing me some coffee at around 10 tonight. These people stand no chance against me. I am a government worker, I have infinite patience.

Good Luck, Sparhawk!   I have a feeling you will be walking away with a 360 in the morning!

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2005, 12:13:46 AM »

There are about 20 or so folks already camped at the closest BB near me (as of 7pm est).  That store is supposed to get 56 units if you believe the list that has circulated.  I'm going to hit a more rural BB that's supposed to get 58 units early tomorrow morning.  I know that store will have less people camped.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2005, 01:24:35 AM »

Amazing what people will do to get an xbox 360. I'm just as fine sleeping in and waiting until the 360's are in stock normally. I'd rather wait anyway so Microsoft can work out the bugs (overheating issues, scratched discs,etc.) with the guinea pig batches.
Besides that I'm still pissed at Microsoft for not releasing the system in full force, even if they had to delay it a bit, so we could all get one fairly. I'm happy with my regular Xbox for now.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2005, 01:59:32 AM »

Yeah, the whole thing is silly.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2005, 04:06:15 AM »

I have zero interest in getting an Xbox 360.....

yet I am feeling strangely compelled to go camp tonight.

There is something about having something that others want so bad, yet cant get, that is appealing to me. I dont even know if I scored one if I would keep it or ebay it. Most likely I would sell it and wait till they are more readily available to get one with the extra cash.
Will I do it? I dont know. Will I drive by and take a look later. For sure.

This one just feels like the chase would be better than the catch for me.
I dont mind camping, done it alot in my time, but I have always wanted what I was camping for. I will want a 360 at some point, it just aint now.
It's the lure of doing something that others want to do, but probably wont, that will make me do it.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2005, 05:24:48 AM »

25-30 people already lined up outside when I went to Best Buy at 2PM.  I was going to get up at 4 to be there for the opening but with over half of them accounted for 19 hours before opening I think I'll stay at home.

I did think it was funny seeing a little tent city spring up outside this store that was absolutely CRAWLING with people.  The last weekend before Xmas and there are people everywhere trying to avoid the campers.  Everybody knew what they were there for which was kinda neat.  Score one to the Microsoft PR machine.  They might not be interested in the 360 but people know what it is.

Best of luck to you!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2005, 05:56:05 AM »

Best Buy is essentially repeating what they did on November 22nd.  They are having a second launch!  With reports of people already lined up this afternoon, Best Buy has turned this into another event.  What a coup for them.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2005, 06:10:56 AM »

Frogs Honey and I just ran over to the Best Buy at 635 and Midway in Dallas and there is a heck of a tent city already going strong with more people driving up. Good luck to everyone out there, and dress warmly. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2005, 06:36:34 AM »

At about 9:30 I drove past my BB and there were at least 10 people in line.  (I think that BB is supposed to get 20 360s.)  They were in some heavy sleeping bags right outside the door.  Crazy in 11 degree weather.  Crazy.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2005, 07:04:24 AM »

Drove by Best Buy on my way home tonight and there was at least 50 people camped out in a line that snaked all the way from the entrance around the buling and almost to the back of the store. I didn't check the allotments to see how many this store is getting, but I imagine there's a lot of people in line right now that are going to walk away empty handed tomorrow.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2005, 01:33:34 PM »

Quote from: "Graham"
At about 9:30 I drove past my BB and there were at least 10 people in line.  (I think that BB is supposed to get 20 360s.)  They were in some heavy sleeping bags right outside the door.  Crazy in 11 degree weather.  Crazy.

Yeah, there were a bunch of people outside 1 of the 2 Appleton Best Buy's as well early last night. I didn't check the other. It was supposed to get below zero during the night and when I was watching Sat. NIght Live it said the  the windchill was -5 already.

Insane!

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2005, 01:51:13 PM »

Also, there were Premium and Core units (with no bundle) available at Bestbuy.com this morning at around 7AM.....

They were sold out in 7 minutes.

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2005, 02:10:27 PM »

frown

Tongue  biggrin  :shock:  :shock:   Tongue   :o

ZOIMG!!! I GOT ONE!!! I GOT ONE!!!

JESUES ATE THE APPLE I GOT ONE!

Alright, I am so freaking tired, so I'm going to get some sleep.

It was colder than a witch's tit, but for a good part of the night I was inside this...

Which does have heat amazingly.  :lol:

Tents were up as well which helped a lot. The worst part was the last two hours because the store manager wanted everyone to break down their tents and get in a line. A line which had no cover from the wind, if you were without a blanket it had to be absolutely brutal.

Alright, sleepy time.

Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2005, 02:12:18 PM »

Congrats Sparhawk! I hope to see you on Live soon!
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2005, 02:41:48 PM »

well i got up way too early this morning and went to stand in the cold (a whopping 20 degrees) at BB for a while...got in line at about 4am and was #32.  the rumor was that the store was supposed to have 34 units available.  unfortunately, the BB guys came out two hours later and told us they only had 30 units in the store (28 premium, 2 core).  the guy that got the last system only showed up about 10 minutes before i did... frown

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2005, 02:49:36 PM »

Sorry, disarm. frown

Congrats Sparhawk!  First thing first, BUY GEOMETRY WARS on Xbox live Arcade. Hands down one of the best games for the system right now and its only $5!

See you on live soon! What games did you get?

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2005, 03:55:14 PM »

Congratulations, Sparhawk.

My local Best Buy was listed as having 30 for sale, so I felt pretty good about being #26 in line.  Then the manager arrived this morning and said they only had 19 systems for sale.

This is beginning to feel like destiny.

-Autistic Angel
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2005, 06:20:53 PM »

AA You should've spoken up because their ad specifically states minimum of 20 in each store. Something was up with that store.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2005, 06:26:37 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
AA You should've spoken up because their ad specifically states minimum of 20 in each store. Something was up with that store.

They probably did what Circuit City is doing and sold some systems to employees first.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: