http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 07:57:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suikoden V Announced  (Read 1429 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 16, 2005, 04:14:44 PM »

http://www.consolegold.com/News/news.php?NewsID=3819

No screenshots yet, but you know I'm hunting...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 04:21:50 PM »

[Hard at work? Didn't #4 let you down? Why do you insist on visiting disappointment over and over and over again?

I think *someone* needs an intervention.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 01:22:17 AM »

It seems they're looking more to the earlier games for inspiration.  Both 6 character battles from the first 3 games (hopefully individually rather than team-controlled) and player skills from S3 are returning for part 5.  Thankfully, they've already announced a US release, unlike some companies who wait months before announcing a US release.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 01:49:52 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
It seems they're looking more to the earlier games for inspiration.  Both 6 character battles from the first 3 games (hopefully individually rather than team-controlled) and player skills from S3 are returning for part 5.  Thankfully, they've already announced a US release, unlike some companies who wait months before announcing a US release.

Suikoden 4 was just heinous.
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 02:37:42 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"

Quote from: "The Random House Dictionary"
heinous (adj) hateful or totally reprehensible

Is it really as bad as, well, Golden Sun for example?    The word I read most in reviews was "average".   Being average isn't necessarily bad: personally, I'm having a good time with it.

No, I don't intend to debate the merits (or lack thereof) of Suikoden IV.  I just thought that someone should stand up for it.  I'll crawl back into my cave now.

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
depward

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 02:40:01 AM »

I kinda wanna sorta want to play Suikoden IV.  But I disliked III so much that I've been hesitant.  Maybe I'll pick it up, since I seem to have a liking for average games   biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 02:56:48 AM »

Quote from: "Qbe"

Is it really as bad as, well, Golden Sun for example?    The word I read most in reviews was "average".   Being average isn't necessarily bad: personally, I'm having a good time with it.

No, I don't intend to debate the merits (or lack thereof) of Suikoden IV.  I just thought that someone should stand up for it.  I'll crawl back into my cave now.

I know what heinous means...the game was simply not redeemable in my eyes. It was just a bastardization of everything that was any good of the first 3. Of course, as always, YMMV  :wink:
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 03:15:14 AM »

It was a return to the much simpler style of the first game, and it didn't really work.  The world consists of 75% water, which you sail on with a slow ship and Skies of Arcadia-frequent random encounters.  The 4-player parties removed what little strategy there was in the battles, and the graphics were very bland and lifeless.  There are some great characters, though, and the cutscenes are nicely-done with exceptional voice acting.  It's not all bad, but it has some bad parts.  BTW, I loved Golden Sun, so I guess I shouldn't compare it to that slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 03:20:59 AM »

I know what heinous means...the game was simply not redeemable in my eyes. It was just a bastardization of everything that was any good of the first 3. Of course, as always, YMMV  :wink:

This is the internet.  You're allowed to be wrong.  It's ok.   :wink:

You know, in the 3 years I've been a console gamer, I've never seen as much disagreement over the merits any kind of game as over RPGs.  In the PC RPG world there are almost-universally recognized winners and outright losers.  

Among console RPGs, though, every single game (well, almost) will have those who very vocally love it, and an equally vocal group of those who hate it.  That makes the console world interesting.  It's rare to read a debate about Baldur's Gate for the PC, but it's good entertainment and relaxation to read some of the long debates about [pick any console RPG].

As depward said, I too seem to have a weakness for the so-called "average" games.  When I got my PSOne, my first console RPG was Final Fantasy VII.  I had been told repeatedly that it was the best RPG in the past, present or future history of the universe, but I couldn't stand it.  However, the original Wild Arms hooked me and pulled me straight through.  Go figure.

(And for those who are about to call me a heretic, I finally hit the 8-hour point of FF VII last week and am really starting to enjoy the game.  So there.)

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 06:48:54 AM »

Dude, I agree with you about RPG's, and come to think of it, I don't like FF7 either!! I do intend to try it again though, so hopefully I will get a chance to reevaluate it.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2005, 06:54:33 AM »

Dude, I agree with you about RPG's, and come to think of it, I don't like FF7 either!! I do intend to try it again though, so hopefully I will get a chance to reevaluate it.

At least get past the part where you first visit the Gold Saucer.  For me, it picked up after then!  Though, I did play the beginning >> Gold Saucer about three times on the PC and had to stop everytime due to some bug that wouldn't let me get past there.  So I just got the PSX version and beat it on there   biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2005, 01:41:01 PM »

I hated Midgar, and the Shinra building killed it for me.  I got bored/disgusted somewhere around the 66th floor and put it away for a year.

Then the other night I started it back up and cruised on through.  Now that I'm out of Midgar I'm having more fun.  I suspect that what I didn't like was the extreme linearity, which is why FFX is sitting on my shelf unfinished as well.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2005, 07:55:34 AM »

1Up has some impressions of the demo.  The game sounds great, from the new graphic style to the increased combat options, like rotating characters in and out of battle and formations.  It's looking like Suikoden 4 was a one-game abberation, as both Suikoden Tactics and S5 are both shaping up to be great.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2005, 01:08:36 PM »

Yeah but does it have a duck?  Every serious role-playing game should have  a duck.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2005, 01:26:55 PM »

OK, in defense of the duck in S3, at least he wasn't annoyingly voiced.  While he may have been a duck, he at least was the 'grizzled veteran' archetype.  I've just started playing S4, and damn I want to kill Cheipoo (The cat kid).

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2005, 02:30:00 PM »

Every serious RPG needs a ball player too.  We all know how essential ball games are in saving the world.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2005, 06:06:31 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Yeah but does it have a duck?  Every serious role-playing game should have  a duck.

Thats kind of why I quit S3 to be honest. The ducks and all the other juvenile Disney-style characters bummed me out, but I did appreciate that it was an RPG that was going to appeal to a lot of people-it had some very cool elements. Just was not for me.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2005, 08:27:10 PM »

Quote from: "Qbe"

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2005, 08:27:24 PM »

I just watched the trailer for Suikoden 5 from the Tokyo Game Show, and I'll say that I feel a bit more hopeful towards this, than I did for Suikoden 4 - especially after seeing how the combat works.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2005, 09:04:34 PM »

Fess up the link!  You can't hold the baggie that close to an addict and not give him a taste!

*twitch*

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2005, 09:17:06 PM »

Ah, sorries... here's the link to the website.

http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/genso/V/movies/index.html

Towards the end, they'll show some of the battles.

The cutscenes are good enough, I suppose, and the music has that same quality of the previous suikodens. Me, I was just mainly interested to see how the combat was handled.

These I picked up from Gaming-Age forums:
- 6 person party is back (Yay!)
- Weapon ranges are back (Yay!)
- You can choose formations (Yay!)

- TGS Interview (http://www.konami.jp/tgs2005/):
"We are aiming for Suikoden V to be the deepest entry in the series"

- Aaand... Localization has already been confirmed by Konami - http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q3-2005/091605b.html

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Galadriels
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2005, 06:34:57 AM »

Note that it's stated on Konami's website that the 3 min preview trailer is only available until the end of this month.  The direct link is as follows,

mms://wm1.streaming.ne.jp/konami2/genso_v_a_mv.asf

Gamespot also has a 10 min trailer, which I presume is the combination of those 2 trailers on the official website.

www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/suikoden5/media.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: